8,297 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello everyone.

I need advice, help and encouragement please.

On September 12, 2017, I received an email that they mailed a request for additional evidence.

After not having received it after a week, we called USCIS on September 19. My case tracker immediately updated to: "On September 19, 2017, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number Wxxx, was assigned to an officer for response." Also, they said they are sending another letter in case the first doesn't arrive.

Yesterday, it updated again, now saying "On September 22, 2017, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number Wxxx, was assigned to an officer for response."

What does this mean and why does it take more than 2 weeks for the RFE to arrive? Also, the email stated that they sent an "additonal" RFE, not an "initial". Is there a difference?

Edited by Sarah_F

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Sarah_F said:

Hello everyone.

On September 12, 2017, I received an email that they mailed a request for additional evidence.

After not having received it after a week, we called USCIS on September 19. My case tracker immediately updated to: "On September 19, 2017, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number Wxxx, was assigned to an officer for response." Also, they said they are sending another letter in case the first doesn't arrive.

Yesterday, it updated again, now saying "On September 22, 2017, your inquiry about a Request For Evidence that you did not receive, referral number Wxxx, was assigned to an officer for response."

What does this mean and why does it take more than 2 weeks for the RFE to arrive? Also, the email stated that they sent an "additonal" RFE, not an "initial". Is there a difference?

It just means they are resending the letter and looking into why the first one didn't arrive. Normally from mail date to arrival is in that 4-5 day window at least for me in Ohio. Did you get your original NOA1, have you moved since then? If yes & no then they are trying to figure out what happened is all and remailed the document.

K1 Visa:

Spoiler

17th April 2017: NOA1 Received Date

11th September 2017: RFE Issued

19th September 2017: RFE Reply Recieved

4th October 2017: NOA2 Approval date

9th October 2017: NVC Received
13th October 2017: NVC Case # Received
17th October 2017: Left NVC

23rd October 2017: Consulate Received

9th November 2017: Interview

29th November 2017: POE

8th December 2017: Wedding

AOS:

Spoiler

19th January 2018: NOA1 Recieved Date

25th January 2018: NOA1 Notice Date

2nd February 2018: Biometric Notice Date

23rd February 2018: Biometric Appointment

30th March 2018: Interview Notice Date

9th May 2018: AOS Interview Appointment

9th May 2018: I-485 Approved

14th May 2018: I-797 for I-485 Received

Timeline
1 minute ago, CopperChem said:

It just means they are resending the letter and looking into why the first one didn't arrive. Normally from mail date to arrival is in that 4-5 day window at least for me in Ohio. Did you get your original NOA1, have you moved since then? If yes & no then they are trying to figure out what happened is all and remailed the document.

Oh, you got an RFE too? What was yours about if I may ask? We got our NOA1 within 2 days. And yes, my fiancé did move in the meantime but the address remained the same since it's his parents' house and it's not far away from his new place. 4-5 days sounds normal. But it has been 2 weeks...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
Just now, Sarah_F said:

Oh, you got an RFE too? What was yours about if I may ask? We got our NOA1 within 2 days. And yes, my fiancé did move in the meantime but the address remained the same since it's his parents' house and it's not far away from his new place. 4-5 days sounds normal. But it has been 2 weeks...

My RFE was for my Fiances divorce papers, we sent in the court order but not the divorce certificate on accident. She was the first person in her family to get divorced and her mother finished it via power of attorney when she had to come here to the US for her MBA. The courts were just slow at the time is all. We got the RFE in 4 days, mailed on the 11th, arrived on the 15th. Already sent it back and have it moving along.

Yes 2 weeks sounds like a problem. I believe one of the other users here had an issue with getting their RFE, but the board moves so fast I forget who exactly had that issue.

K1 Visa:

Spoiler

17th April 2017: NOA1 Received Date

11th September 2017: RFE Issued

19th September 2017: RFE Reply Recieved

4th October 2017: NOA2 Approval date

9th October 2017: NVC Received
13th October 2017: NVC Case # Received
17th October 2017: Left NVC

23rd October 2017: Consulate Received

9th November 2017: Interview

29th November 2017: POE

8th December 2017: Wedding

AOS:

Spoiler

19th January 2018: NOA1 Recieved Date

25th January 2018: NOA1 Notice Date

2nd February 2018: Biometric Notice Date

23rd February 2018: Biometric Appointment

30th March 2018: Interview Notice Date

9th May 2018: AOS Interview Appointment

9th May 2018: I-485 Approved

14th May 2018: I-797 for I-485 Received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Question guys.. is it possible to get my case transferred from my home country to where I am based now? will it delay the processing? Cause it won't be that convenient for me - esp with my line of job - to fly back to home country every now and then to sort things out (e.g: medical, interview...)

Timeline
2 minutes ago, CopperChem said:

My RFE was for my Fiances divorce papers, we sent in the court order but not the divorce certificate on accident. She was the first person in her family to get divorced and her mother finished it via power of attorney when she had to come here to the US for her MBA. The courts were just slow at the time is all. We got the RFE in 4 days, mailed on the 11th, arrived on the 15th. Already sent it back and have it moving along.

Yes 2 weeks sounds like a problem. I believe one of the other users here had an issue with getting their RFE, but the board moves so fast I forget who exactly had that issue.

@Keith & Monica You had the same issue, right? Your RFE got stuck forever? I got a notice for an RFE via email 2 weeks ago and when we called last week they said they are gonna resend it. And now it has been 2 weeks. Still no letter.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
2 hours ago, Sarah_F said:

Hello everyone.

Don't worry it only means they did sent u another copy since the first one didn't arrive . I totally agree with @CopperChem cuz our rfe took 4 days to arrive in Ohio as well 

Edited by fatima& abdi

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, BeatrixV said:

Question guys.. is it possible to get my case transferred from my home country to where I am based now? will it delay the processing? Cause it won't be that convenient for me - esp with my line of job - to fly back to home country every now and then to sort things out (e.g: medical, interview...)

It delays it........

VJers reported trying to get it caught at NVC and changing direction there but many accounts show that doesn't work well.  Once it gets to the embassy, submit a request to the embassy to forward it to your desired embassy.   I suppose a week to 4 week delay????

Anyway, it's VJ - nothing is new here.  No matter what happens, it already happened to someone else.  Here is many posts before concerning the subject......

http://www.visajourney.com/sitesearch/?cx=partner-pub-3407508467788263%3A9725800110&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=k1+change+embassy&sa=Search&siteurl=www.visajourney.com%2F&ref=www.visajourney.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F630471-i129f-april-2017-filers%2F%3Fpage%3D525&ss=7077j4243205j19

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 9/22/2017 at 6:27 AM, Jeff and Alina said:

Thank you so much, unfortunately the earliest interview they have available is 11/21. A contact from my congressman's office and my senator's as well are trying to get the date moved up. Either way, it is good to have a date, something concrete to look to rather than a nebulous "soon." 

Thank you again and hoping others get their cases moving forward, have a great day.

Wow. Is the interview date, November 21st, close to the expiration date of your NOA2 approval? I hope they can move the date up because that's cutting it pretty close. I know its a relief and to see progress and have an date. Congratulations!

Our K-1 Journey:

11/27/2016 - Engaged 
04/8/2017 - I-129F Packet sent 
04/11/2017 - I-129F Packet delivered and signed for
04/17/2017 - Received NOA1 via text and email - sent to CSC 
04/21/2017 - Received NOA1 Hardcopy w/notice date of Apr. 15, 2017
08/17/2017 - USCIS Printed NOA2 hardcopy
08/21/2017 - Received NOA2 in the mail 
08/28/2017 - NVC Received & Assigned case/ID number (had to call)
08/30/2017 - Download Packet 3/4 via Embassy Website
09/07/2017 - PCC Completed & Received
09/07/2017 - Medical Exam Completed
09/21/2017 - Pickup Medical Packet
09/27/2017 - Case left NVC 'In Transit' 
09/28/2017 - Case delivered to Embassy 'Ready'
10/17/2017 - Interview - APPROVED :jest:
10/23/2017 - Visa Status 'Issued'
10/25/2017 - Visa In Hand
11/08/2017 - POE (Houston, TX) - Huge Hugs and Kisses
11/14/2017 - Marriage - Our Wedding Date

Our AOS, EAD, AP Journey:

01/13/2018 - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP

01/16/2018 - FEDEX delivered to Chicago Lockbox

01/16/2018 - Receive Date for AOS/EAD/AP

01/19/2018 - Notice Date for AOS/EAD/AP

01/22/2018 - Text/Email Notification  for AOS/EAD/AP

01/29/2018  - Received NOA1s in the mail - for AOS/EAD/AP

02/05/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Letter in the mail

02/16/2018 - Biometrics Appointment

04/28/2018 - Received letter for Interview

05/10/2018 - AOS Interview/Approved :jest:/Passport Stamped (I-551)

05/21/2018 - Green Card Received in the mail

Our LOC Journey:

04/07/2020 - I-751 Packet sent

04/08/2020 - I-751 Packet delivered and signed for

05/04/2020 - I-751 Returned for wrong payment amount

05/06/2020 - I-751 Packet sent again with correct amount

05/07/2020 - I-751 Packet received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
17 hours ago, Estibaliz said:

I've just added my Embassy review to my timeline, so I thought I could share that with you too, also adding a bit more of personal information, in case someone might be interested on the experience, specially people going through Madrid soon, but not exclusively :)

Interview: 21st October, 2017, 11:30 am (Madrid Embassy, Spain)

I live in Asturias, so I flew that same morning to Madrid for my interview. I took the train (line C1) at the Airport T4 to go to the clinic first to pick my medical exam results. It's an easy 25 minutes ride, with 5 stops to Recoletos, and the price is really cheap (2.70€), so that's the better option if you have the time.
Everyone was professional and nice at the clinic, as usual, and I got my sealed envelope with the results, plus a copy of the lab tests results for my records and also my DS3025, that was pending due to the need of confirming through serology that I was immune to varicella. I was, so the form was marked as complete. Actually I am super immune, lol, as you have to be over the 165 mark on antibodies and I was over 1,100 :D
That took less than 5 minutes and then the walk from there to the Embassy is about 25 minutes along preppy Serrano Street. Well, I was actually sitting in a park reading for a bit, because it was too early to go :)

I arrived at the Embassy around 11:10am (20 minutes before my interview). I'm not going to mention times regarding the different steps and waits, because I don't wear a watch and they keep your phone, but I can tell you I was out at 11:55am, so the whole stay and process took just 45 minutes.
There was a nice Spanish lady outside the Embassy along with a security guard. The lady greeted me good morning and I told her I was there for an interview at 11:30, so she asked my name to check my appointment on her PDA and also wanted to see my passport. I've heard they doesn't let you in if you arrive over half an hour before your interview, but I can't confirm that since I was there just 20 minutes before time.
Another security guard came out at that moment, and the lady told her she had three people to go in (a girl, a man and myself, that was the last one to arrive), so he prompted us in and proceeded to the security check individually. You have to put in your belongings on a plastic tray and take off  anything metal (rings, belt, keys...), just like at the airport.
So when it was my turn, they scanned my tray and I went through the arch. Of course, I beeped. I told the guy I was sure that were my boots, because they have a metal zipper. He still asked me to take off my glasses and go through the arch again. I beeped again, so he used the hand detector and confirmed it was my boots.
Then he asked what was on my purse, apart from the USB and mobile phone, if there was any other electronic devices or things they have to keep. I told him I only needed my folder with the documents and my passport, so they could keep everything else on my purse. He asked if I didn't need my wallet too, but I told him I had already paid everything, so it was ok. He took my purse and gave me a number to pick it when I was done.
Then he told me to cross the door, and go upstairs to the left, and then it was the left door there.
(FYI: I've been told by a girl that had her interview two days before me, that they don't take your belongings if you are carrying a backpack or something big like that, and they tell you to go to a pub nearby where they have a wardrobe to keep your things for 2€).

You enter a small hall, where there's a machine for you to take your number. It has different options (like Immigrant and Non-Immigrant Visas), but I didn't even have the time to check before a very nice lady, that spoke perfect Spanish but with a very slight accent, came out and asked me what I was there for, and get the number for me (B-203, Non Immigrant Visas).
She walked me into the room and to another lady in the back, and they both asked for my name and passport again. They put a sticker in the back with my name and interview appointment and place another paper inside the passport (sorry, don't ask me why, but I didn't even check what was that, but I think it was same as the sticker in the back). When they were checking my passport they seemed confused for a second, because I, of course, wear glasses on my passport picture, since that's how it works here in Spain, for all official ID's, so they wanted to make sure I wasn't wearing glasses in the pictures I had for the visa, which I could confirm. Talking of which, I have to tell you they never asked me for any passport pictures at the interview, since you have to send one beforehand as part of packet 3, and apparently that suffices. I had taken new ones because the ones I was using would be 6 months old 4 days after the interview, but never needed them.

So I took a seat in the waiting area as indicated. It's quite a small room, and not intimidating at all. There's probably like 30-40 seats and 12 windows, I think it was. There's a screen where they show the numbers called, not in any particular order. For what I've seen B letter is for the fiancé visas, because I could see that B-200, B-201 and B-202 before me were fiances too. Because the space is quite small and the CO's use the speaker often to talk to you, I could hear how they were interviewing other girls before me, and asking the typical questions (how you met? have you ever been in the States? when did he propose? do you have a ring? where does he work?... I'll make a list of my personal questions when I come to that point).

It wasn't that long until I was called to a window (number 3), where a nice Spanish lady smiled at me and greeted me good morning. She asked for my passport first thing, and then disappeared for a couple minutes, which she apologized for when she was back. First thing she asked for was the payment fee confirmation, that I saw her attach to other documents, including my passport picture, in a folder.  
She then asked me for my medical exam results. I showed her first the letter where you have to put a picture and they stamp at the clinic, because they had told me there that was required, but the lady said it wasn't, and they only wanted the two sealed envelopes with the x-rays on a CD and the medical results themselves. She gave me back the CD after sealing the envelope with tape and also stamping it profusely, so they can be sure it hasn't been opened.
She gave me my original birth certificate back and asked if any of us had been married before. I told her my fiance had been married, but I hadn't sent his divorce decree because I understood they were only asking for my personal documents on the check list. She confirmed me that was the case, but still said is better to include the divorce decree, because the CO's normally don't care about it, but better safe than sorry. I couldn't agree more on that, and I actually told her I would have had her taken the copy anyway, for my peace of mind. So she checked the original and added the copy to my documents. I saw her going through the rest of my paperwork, including the i134 and all the supporting documents and she said that was it.

She explained to me how when I got the visa package that was going to be another sealed envelope I shouldn't open, but that it was going to be clearly marked as such, and anyway they would mail it inside another envelope (or two), so I could open everything until I founded the heavy stamped one.
She told me I would be called again by the same number for my biometrics and interview in a few minutes, and to take a seat and wait.

So after another wait, not too long (10 minutes or less?) my number showed on the screen again: window 6. The CO was an American young lady that greeted me on Spanish and said we would be doing the sworn and biometrics first thing. She quickly switched to English. I had to raise my hand and swore and then she took my fingerprints. This took a bit because I have a sweaty hands problem when nervous, which I apologized for, but she said it was ok, not my fault. Actually, the problem was I was pressing my fingers too hard against the machine, so worried I was the read wasn't clear enough :P

Actually, small story here... when Gary and I first met in person I was really embarrassed about my sweaty hands, which I had already told him beforehand. He kept saying it was ok and that was actually cute :wacko: but we still had to stop and dry them a bit once in a while. I know, disgusting... I should have understood that guy really loved me right then and there, lol. But the best thing was just a couple of days after first meeting in person, my hands stopped sweating, so comfortable I felt with him. So yep, there we had another sign of it being true love ;) And this is really important, guys, because it turned out Gary loves holding hands, so we are one of those couples that walk around doing so all the time :P *cheesy*

So after the biometrics, the CO started with the interview. I have to say she was professional and ok, but not particularly friendly, as I don't reckon she ever smiled and I'm sure she didn't say congratulations either once we were done.
So here is the list of questions she asked to me:
- How did you meet? I said FB, so she asked me to elaborate a bit, and I continued to do so for the rest of the questions, but without babbling.

We met on FB on 2013, around the summer. He started talking to me because I used to have a picture sitting on the Iron Throne, from 'Game of Thrones' back then, so we started discussing the books. Back then we just talked occasionally... Then in May 2014 we started talking again, and I remember the date because my dad had just been diagnosed with a cancer (it wasn't a bad one and he's perfectly fine now), so Gary was there for me, we started to talk more and more often, and that was the start of it...
- When did you first meet in person? February, 2015
- Where? Las Vegas. Gary was living in Hawaii back then, so it was a two week vacation for both of us
- Have you ever visited him on the States? Twice, two months at the start of 2016 and three months, January to March, this year
- Have he ever been in Spain? He came last year, a week in July, before he had to start his new job
- Did he meet your family? Yes, my sister, parents, cousins...
- What does he do for a living? He works as a probation officer for Salt Lake County... I'm pretty sure I never told he was one of the good guys, lol
- Was he married before? Yes
- What happened then? Seriously... but ok. I said the marriage was a failure from the start, but they still kept trying for a while because they have a kid.
- Was she a US citizen? No, she's from the UK
- So did she ever live in the States? No, she never lived in the States... but you know, they got married in Seattle, so I'm sure they wanted to know what's going on there.

I want to point out the importance of these four last questions. Our case was pretty straightforward, and the only thing that could raise questions was the fact Gary had been married to a UK citizen for 10 years, but he never petitioned for her, she never lived in the states and he never lived in the UK either, due to the fact the marriage failed from the start, they just didn't get a divorce for a long time... My point is they know your case and what they are asking you, even if the questions come so fast that it seems pure routine.

Anyway, after that she said something like that was enough, and everything was fine, she didn't ask for any proof of relationship. I'm not going to lie to you, I'm not sure about everything she told me then, but I know she was talking about the 90 days to get married and adjust status and how they would send the passport and visa package back, and quickly dismissed me. So I asked if that was it and she said yes and I just said thank you and goodbye.

I walked out and once you are outside the Embassy someone from security gives you your belongings back and, yep, that's it, you are good to go.

So a fairly quick and painless experience... though I'm still rating it with a 4 because, when you are feeling anxious and in that position, you would like to have someone a little bit more friendly interviewing you. But she was professional nonetheless, as I said before, so kudos to her. 

So now you know how that was :) Long story, right? :P

You all have a great weekend. I'm sure there's more good news coming your way, if not today, next week. Keep your chin and spirits up.

Congratulations again ! wish you all the best ! the next - wedding !!! (L)(L)      

...yeah, some difference...in Moscow we do not get the results of medical exam, they send it right to the embassy with a courier

Darrel and Tatiana
            2017 year
29th March          I-129f Sent
6th April                NOA1 Received date
11th April              NOA1 Notice date
14th April              NOA1 Hardcopy
22nd August        NOA2 Approval date
5th September     NVC Received, NVC case#
8th September     Left NVC
11th September   Case Ready
28th September   Medical exam
5th October           Interview
25th October         POE date 
22 December        Wedding Day

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline
2 hours ago, Tatiana&D.S. said:

Congratulations again ! wish you all the best ! the next - wedding !!! (L)(L)      

...yeah, some difference...in Moscow we do not get the results of medical exam, they send it right to the embassy with a courier

Thanks again! I've seen you have your interview already scheduled for October 5th, so soon you'll be in the same situation :wub:

Our wedding will be an impromptu thing, but I also see you have a date, so I'll definitely want to see a picture of your big day in November :yes:

K1 Visa process 

Spoiler

30 March 2017 (Thu): i-129f sent

6 April 2017 (Thu): i-129f received- NOA1 RECEIVED DATE

12 April 2017 (Wed): NOA1 email/text confirmation

17 April 2017 (Mon): NOA1 hardcopy

10 August 2017 (Thu): NOA2 Approval date - 14 August 2017 (Mon): NOA2 hardcopy

24 August 2017 (Thu): NVC received and case # assigned (provided through phone call 8/25)

29 August 2017 (Tue): NVC left

30 August 2017 (Wed): Consulate Received (READY at the ceac tracker)

01 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 3 (instructions) received / Packet 3 sent (documents mailed)

02 September 2017 (Sat): NVC letter in the mail

08 September 2017 (Fri): Packet 4 received

11 September 2017 (Mon): Medical exam

21 September 2017 (Thu): Interview- APPROVED

26 September 2017 (Tue): Visa Issued

28 September 2017 (Thu): Visa Delivered (VOH)

20 October 2017 (Fri): POE Dallas Fort Worth

AOS/EAD/AP process 

Spoiler

08 January 2018 (Mon): AOS/EAD/AP package sent

09 January 2018 (Tue): Received date

10 January 2018 (Wed): Notice date

11 January 2018 (Thu): AOS/EAD/AP NOA texts and emails

16 January 2018 (Tue): NOAs hard copies received in the mail

26 January 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment in the mail

09 February 2018 (Fri): Biometrics appointment

05 April 2018 (Thu)Green Card Interview scheduled (email and text received 08 April, Sunday)

12 April 2018 (Thu): Green Card Interview appointment letter received in the mail

15 May 2018 (Tue): Green Card Interview: APPROVAL / Card is being produced

19 May 2018 (Sat): 1-797 Approval Notice received

23 May 2018 (Wed): Card was mailed

24 May 2018 (Thu): Post office picked up the mail. Tracking number.

25 May 2018 (Fri): Green Card RECEIVED

ROC process 

18 February 2020 (Tue): ROC package sent

19 February 2020 (Wed) Received date (also in Notice)

24 February 2020 (Mon) Notice date / ROC text and email

28 February 2020 (Fri) NOA/ Extension Letter in the mail

13 May 2020 (Wed) Case updated (Fingerprints were taken) - Notification received 18 May (Mon), stating I don't have to appear for a biometrics appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

A blessed Sunday to everyone! I would just like to ask esp for those who have Fianceé's from the Philippines. Once we get the case #s from NVC, can I schedule the medical and interview for the following weeks? Or do I need to wait the NVC letter from my Fiancè to present during med. exam and interview? Thanks in advance! This is April, the beneficiary.☺

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Estibaliz said:

Thanks again! I've seen you have your interview already scheduled for October 5th, so soon you'll be in the same situation :wub:

Our wedding will be an impromptu thing, but I also see you have a date, so I'll definitely want to see a picture of your big day in November :yes:

maybe our wedding will be in October, in Las Vegas ... we'll see, it will depend of my POE day ) )  

... i'll show the picture  :dancing:,     hope to see yours too )  :wub: (F)

Darrel and Tatiana
            2017 year
29th March          I-129f Sent
6th April                NOA1 Received date
11th April              NOA1 Notice date
14th April              NOA1 Hardcopy
22nd August        NOA2 Approval date
5th September     NVC Received, NVC case#
8th September     Left NVC
11th September   Case Ready
28th September   Medical exam
5th October           Interview
25th October         POE date 
22 December        Wedding Day

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Czech Republic
Timeline

Hey guys!

May 5th filler here! Waiting for NO2.  I have a question.  I have been an Au Pair in US for two years, do I need to bring the  criminal record from US to the Embassy ? ( as they require criminal record from countries you lived in for more then 6 months ) I'm 99% positive I don't need that as they do the background check in US, but just want to be 100% sure :D

Thank you

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Lesotho
Timeline
10 hours ago, hkiss31 said:

Wow. Is the interview date, November 21st, close to the expiration date of your NOA2 approval? I hope they can move the date up because that's cutting it pretty close. I know its a relief and to see progress and have an date. Congratulations!

Yes, that has me panicking more than a little. What happens if the NOA date is passed? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.