HallieMaya

Help with 01 Visa Process Appreciated!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
2 hours ago, Maya29 said:

It would be lovely if they had a legal department! But sadly they are on the smaller side of things. I have sought outside council to ascertain the correct visa, this is all. I think the thing to remember is that I am not asking for answers on which visa I need, or pulling the company apart on their choices/lack of legal team. The question really surrounds the logistics of applying for a visa without the use of lawyers. Many thanks.

You really need to start with the USCIS site and not this forum:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement/o-nonimmigrant-classifications-question-and-answers

You can't self-petition, and your employer has to satisfy a range of requirements before they are allowed to hire you. Since you mentioned that they are on the "smaller side", there is a good chance they might not be qualified to petition for you, especially if there are reservations on their side regarding cost of the process.

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
2 hours ago, KurosawaSan said:

You really need to start with the USCIS site and not this forum:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/o-1-individuals-extraordinary-ability-or-achievement/o-nonimmigrant-classifications-question-and-answers

You can't self-petition, and your employer has to satisfy a range of requirements before they are allowed to hire you. Since you mentioned that they are on the "smaller side", there is a good chance they might not be qualified to petition for you, especially if there are reservations on their side regarding cost of the process.

Absolutely. I have of course looked at this already. I don't think this forum is the right place to speak to people who have already been through the process. I have clarified already that I will not be doing the application myself. All I need to know is if it is even worthwhile my employer doing the necessary paperwork themselves OR if it really should be done by a lawyer to stand any chance of the visa being accepted first time.

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
57 minutes ago, Maya29 said:

Absolutely. I have of course looked at this already. I don't think this forum is the right place to speak to people who have already been through the process. I have clarified already that I will not be doing the application myself. All I need to know is if it is even worthwhile my employer doing the necessary paperwork themselves OR if it really should be done by a lawyer to stand any chance of the visa being accepted first time.

We've literally explained this through the thread - you can do it on your own, through the employer. That said, you are much likely to avoid pitfalls if you have a lawyer for a non-DIY visa - O-1 is very hard to get.

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
1 minute ago, KurosawaSan said:

We've literally explained this through the thread - you can do it on your own, through the employer. That said, you are much likely to avoid pitfalls if you have a lawyer for a non-DIY visa - O-1 is very hard to get.

Just looking for someone who has actually done this. Not to worry I've found some super helpful people in another forum. Thanks anyway!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.