10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm almost ready to send off the AOS and IV packet tomorrow I just want to make sure I have everything they are asking for. Highlighted in red are documents i have already gathered. Also I am a stay at home mom with no income, my mother whom I live with is my co-sponsor and makes enough for the poverty guidelines of our household size. She filled up and signed form I-864A and provided copies of her IRS Transcript, federal income tax return, form w2 and US passport. As for me since i do not have a job I have only provided a copy of my US passport and filled out form I-864. 

Document Checklist

Order Document Enclosed Unavailable Not Applicable

==============================================

1. Document Cover Sheet..........................

2. Original, signed Affidavit of Support.......

3. Photocopies of Financial Documents:

IRS Tax Transcript...................................

Federal Income Tax Returns................. 

Form W2............................................... 

Evidence of income............................... 

Proof of relationship..............................  proof of relationship have already been provided when i sent the I-130 packet (pictures, child birth certificate, plane tickets, bank statements etc) do i need to send more?

Proof of U.S. status...............................

Social Security Earnings Statement......

Proof of assets......................................

4. Photocopies of Supporting Documents:

Adoption documentation.......................

Birth certificates.....................................

Court and prison record(s).................... 

Marriage certificate................................ 

Marriage termination documents...........

Military records......................................

Petitioner documents.............................    (what kind of petitioner documents are they asking for?)

Valid, unexpired passport......................

Police Certificate(s)...............................

Translations........................................... 

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
2 hours ago, life-journey said:

I'm almost ready to send off the AOS and IV packet tomorrow I just want to make sure I have everything they are asking for. Highlighted in red are documents i have already gathered. Also I am a stay at home mom with no income, my mother whom I live with is my co-sponsor and makes enough for the poverty guidelines of our household size. She filled up and signed form I-864A and provided copies of her IRS Transcript, federal income tax return, form w2 and US passport. As for me since i do not have a job I have only provided a copy of my US passport and filled out form I-864. 

Document Checklist

Proof of relationship..............................  proof of relationship have already been provided when i sent the I-130 packet (pictures, child birth certificate, plane tickets, bank statements etc) do i need to send more?

Proof of U.S. status...............................

Petitioner documents.............................    (what kind of petitioner documents are they asking for?)

Sounds good

There are so many people misunderstand I-864a form. I-864a is like a consent to allow people on same tax return (spouse, partners) to use mutual fund to support immigrant. So unless you file tax return with your mom (I don't think so) then you file I-864 as main sponsor, she files another I-864 as joint sponsor.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Timeline
19 hours ago, NancyNguyen said:

There are so many people misunderstand I-864a form. I-864a is like a consent to allow people on same tax return (spouse, partners) to use mutual fund to support immigrant. So unless you file tax return with your mom (I don't think so) then you file I-864 as main sponsor, she files another I-864 as joint sponsor.

My mom claims my daughter and I on her tax, I don't file my tax since I'm not working. And we live in the same household. From my understanding a co-sponsor that lives in the same house files i-864A 

event.png

50 minutes ago, life-journey said:

My mom claims my daughter and I on her tax, I don't file my tax since I'm not working. And we live in the same household. From my understanding a co-sponsor that lives in the same house files i-864A 

Household in tax term means spouses and partners on same tax return (not dependent), it is not necessary as same as ADDRESS. Many people have misunderstood I-864a. You file I-864 as main sponsor and explains you don't file any taxes yes. She filed I-864 as only join sponsor. It doesn't matter you reside same address with her.

N400

Timeline
46 minutes ago, NancyNguyen said:

Household in tax term means spouses and partners on same tax return (not dependent), it is not necessary as same as ADDRESS. Many people have misunderstood I-864a. You file I-864 as main sponsor and explains you don't file any taxes yes. She filed I-864 as only join sponsor. It doesn't matter you reside same address with her.

Who May Be Considered a Household Member for Purposes of Form I-864A?

For purposes of this contract, a household member is:

1. A U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or U.S. national relative who has the same principal residence as the sponsor and is related to the sponsor as a spouse, adult child, parent, or sibling; 

Why Does a Household Member Complete Form I-864A?

A household member completes this contract if the household member’s income and/or assets will be used to demonstrate the sponsor’s ability to meet the income requirements and to maintain the sponsored immigrant at an annual income at the level speci ed in section 213A(f)(l)(E) or 213A(f)(3) of the INA. 

event.png

25 minutes ago, life-journey said:

1. A U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or U.S. national relative who has the same principal residence as the sponsor and is related to the sponsor as a spouse, adult child, parent, or sibling; 

A household member completes this contract if the household member’s income and/or assets will be used to demonstrate the sponsor’s ability to meet the income requirements and to maintain the sponsored immigrant at an annual income at the level speci ed in section 213A(f)(l)(E) or 213A(f)(3) of the INA. 

Ok then good luck with your submitance.

N400

29 minutes ago, life-journey said:

You contribute nothing to your moms income, how are you gonna consent her to use mutual income to sponsor your spouse? Nancy is right, many have received RFE for this matter.

To qualify as a household member, you must be at least 18 years old and fall into one of these categories:

• you are the sponsor’s spouse or dependent on last year’s taxes (even if you don’t actually live with the sponsor), OR
  • you are the sponsor’s father, mother, adult child, brother or sister, and you  do  live with the sponsor.

Luckily, a household member does not have to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

In fact, you can fill out Form I-864A as a household member if you are the immigrant seeking a green card and you meet the requirements explained above. But your income would have to come from lawful employment that will continue after you become a U.S. resident.

IMG_7512.PNG

Edited by Noor881

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My answers are in bold, green, and larger font.

On 3/10/2017 at 8:00 PM, life-journey said:

Document Checklist

Proof of relationship..............................  proof of relationship have already been provided when i sent the I-130 packet (pictures, child birth certificate, plane tickets, bank statements etc) do i need to send more? (Proof of relationship is submitted when a household members completes an I-864A {household members fill out the I-864A, not joint sponsors [joint sponsor is the proper term when referring to an I-864, not co-sponsor]})

Proof of U.S. status............................... (applicable only to joint sponsors and household members, not the petitioner)

Petitioner documents.............................    (what kind of petitioner documents are they asking for?) (Not applicable for your case)

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.