jnicolel

February 2017 AOS from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas

145 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

I have not found a post specific to AOS from student, work, and tourist visas for February 2017. There is one over in the AOS from family based visas section. I thought I'd start a post here.  

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Croatia
Timeline

My husband is adjusting from B-2 visitor status. Our application was sent via FedEx on the Thursday the 23rd. It was delivered to USCIS in Chicago on Monday, the 27th via FedEx.  I have not yet received any NOA text messages nor have the checks been cashed. I am now on day 11 from delivery of my package.  Our local field office is in the San Fernando Valley, not the Los Angeles proper office.  

- Application mailed 2/14/17
- package delivered 2/16/17
- Checks cashed and messages received 2/27/17
- NOA received 3/4/17
- biometric letter received today Scheduled for bio appt 3/20/17

I came here with an F1 visa, living in Philadelphia PA

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi everyone :) 

I'm adjusting from visitor visa 

- package sent to Chicago lockbox on 02/06 

-  package delivered on 02/10

- noa 1 via text / email received on 02/20

- hardcopies in mail on 02/24

since then I'm waiting for a biometric appointment, my local office for biometrics is Austin, Texas 

im also not able to track my case online, but according to the immigration officer I talked to everything is perfectly fine and I shouldn't worry about the missing notice date/ birth date on my Noa1 , he said it's not important 

are y'all able to check your case online?

best of luck for everyone :)

kat

Edited by kat&eddie

Hi everyone!

I'm adjusting from F-1 as well. 

Application sent (I-130, I-485, I-131, I-765): 02/14/2017

Application received: 02/15/2017

Text NOA1: 02/22/2017

Paper NOA1: 02/24/2017

Biometrics scheduled: 03/24/2017

I would also like to note that all 4 notices were missing dates (I booked an infopass appointment for March 20th about that). And I'm also not able to check any of my receipt numbers online, which totally sucks. 

EAD/AP: 02/14/17 - 05/26/17 (101 days)

AOS: 02/14/17 - 06/20/17 (126 days)

ROC: 05/19/19 - 04/23/20 (340 days)

N-400: (249 days)

9/13/2020- Application filed online 

9/21/2020 - NOA1 received 

12/10/2020 - NOA2 biometrics reuse

2/2/2021 - NOA3 N-400 interview scheduled for 3/16/2021

3/8/2021 - NOA4 N-400 interview cancelled 

3/15/2021 - NOA5 N-400 interview re-scheduled 

4/27/2021 - Interview (approved)

4/28/2021 NOA6 Oath ceremony scheduled 

5/20/2021 - Oath ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Spain
Timeline

My husband came to the US with me in 2015 on an F1 visa. We got married on December 30, 2016.

Application sent (I-130, I-485, I-765): 02/20/2017

Application received: 02/21/2017

Checks cashed: 02/28/2017

Text NOA1: 03/01/2017

Paper NOA1: 03/06/2017

Sent I-131 (we forgot to!) -03/08/17

RFE message posted on USCIS check my status: 03/10/2017 -Haven't received paper RFE

Biometrics letter received: 03/10/2017

So, it's my understanding that the whole AOS process is put on hold for now and restarts once we send in our RFE paperwork. I am assuming it is because I only sent my W2s for the 2016 year and not my tax returns. I'm currently working on my tax returns with my accountant, but I've hit a road block because my husband and I were married on December 30, 2016. Technically I have to file as married now, but I don't know how to file! Jointly or separately? He never worked, but would have to get an ITIN in order for us to file jointly and I'm unsure if he can still file as exempt on his F1 if we file separately, now that we are married. 

Does anyone have any insight on how they filed their 2016 returns having gotten married?

I'm also assuming they will be asking for my tax returns, but it could be something else!

I'm just a little worried because we have a family event in his home country in July.

Timeline

Another question for all of you F1 students out there... are any of you doing an OPT? My husband applied for one before we got married and was just approved. He has one alien number for that OPT EAD and now has another one for our AOS process... Is that bad? Should I call USCIS?

8 minutes ago, gallegamericana said:

My husband came to the US with me in 2015 on an F1 visa. We got married on December 30, 2016.

RFE message posted on USCIS check my status: 03/10/2017 -Haven't received paper RFE

So, it's my understanding that the whole AOS process is put on hold for now and restarts once we send in our RFE paperwork. I am assuming it is because I only sent my W2s for the 2016 year and not my tax returns. I'm currently working on my tax returns with my accountant, but I've hit a road block because my husband and I were married on December 30, 2016. Technically I have to file as married now, but I don't know how to file! Jointly or separately? He never worked, but would have to get an ITIN in order for us to file jointly and I'm unsure if he can still file as exempt on his F1 if we file separately, now that we are married. 

Does anyone have any insight on how they filed their 2016 returns having gotten married?

I'm also assuming they will be asking for my tax returns, but it could be something else!

I'm just a little worried because we have a family event in his home country in July.

I'm not sure about the tax question, and I'm kind of in the same boat as far as filing goes. Sorry to be of no help.

But as for the AP situation and needing to travel in July, on average I-131 takes about 3 months to be approved. So if you filed at the beginning of March, hopefully you'll receive your AP in June, early July at the latest. But of course, it depends on other factors. I wouldn't worry just yet.

EAD/AP: 02/14/17 - 05/26/17 (101 days)

AOS: 02/14/17 - 06/20/17 (126 days)

ROC: 05/19/19 - 04/23/20 (340 days)

N-400: (249 days)

9/13/2020- Application filed online 

9/21/2020 - NOA1 received 

12/10/2020 - NOA2 biometrics reuse

2/2/2021 - NOA3 N-400 interview scheduled for 3/16/2021

3/8/2021 - NOA4 N-400 interview cancelled 

3/15/2021 - NOA5 N-400 interview re-scheduled 

4/27/2021 - Interview (approved)

4/28/2021 NOA6 Oath ceremony scheduled 

5/20/2021 - Oath ceremony

Timeline
7 minutes ago, rosecloud said:

I'm not sure about the tax question, and I'm kind of in the same boat as far as filing goes. Sorry to be of no help.

But as for the AP situation and needing to travel in July, on average I-131 takes about 3 months to be approved. So if you filed at the beginning of March, hopefully you'll receive your AP in June, early July at the latest. But of course, it depends on other factors. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Thanks, Rosecloud. Fingers crossed that our RFE doesn't affect the AP process!

Timeline
2 hours ago, gallegamericana said:

Hey

my husband and I just went through that process 

the first tax year he applies for an ITIN, you HAVE to file married jointly, he has to fill out the form W-7 ( on the IRS website) and send it in together with your tax returns for 2016 and along with documents that proofs his identity 

you can can look on the IRS website it describes it very good :)

if if you have questions feel free to ask

oh and the documents for his identity need to be notharized or you bring everything in person to an IRS office and show he shows his passport there, that works too

Good luck!

Edited by kat&eddie

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Here's my timeline good luck everyone! 

AOS FROM B1/B2 

2/13/17    Packet sent in the mail to Chicago Lockbox via USPS through my lawyer.:D

2/14/17    Packet received 

2/21/17    Both Checks cashed

2/25/17 NOA

3/10/17 Biometricis for 3/21/16:jest:

Edited by gaop0988

AOS FROM B1/B2 

2/13/17    Packet sent in the mail to Chicago Lockbox via USPS through my lawyer.:D

02/25/17 Received I-485 and I-765 in the mail.

Timeline
20 hours ago, rosecloud said:

Glad to hear someone else is in the same timeline boat! Fingers crossed that the RFE isn't ridiculous and we are only set back a week... so strange that we got that and the biometrics together! It's as if they are not actually stopping the process (which we would be great!)

Good luck to you!

Timeline
18 hours ago, kat&eddie said:

Hey

my husband and I just went through that process 

the first tax year he applies for an ITIN, you HAVE to file married jointly, he has to fill out the form W-7 ( on the IRS website) and send it in together with your tax returns for 2016 and along with documents that proofs his identity 

you can can look on the IRS website it describes it very good :)

if if you have questions feel free to ask

oh and the documents for his identity need to be notharized or you bring everything in person to an IRS office and show he shows his passport there, that works too

Good luck!

Hi kat &eddie! My husband has not filed for an ITIN yet. He is still an F1 student as his AOS is processing and was an F1 student (unmarried) for all of 2016, so while I have to legally file as married now because of being married for two days in 2016, he should still be able to file as an F1 student without income (meaning he doesn't actually have to file, but he will). Right now we are going to file as married, but separate. It's more expensive, but it's quicker and I'd rather not slow down our process!

Timeline
25 minutes ago, gallegamericana said:

Hi kat &eddie! My husband has not filed for an ITIN yet. He is still an F1 student as his AOS is processing and was an F1 student (unmarried) for all of 2016, so while I have to legally file as married now because of being married for two days in 2016, he should still be able to file as an F1 student without income (meaning he doesn't actually have to file, but he will). Right now we are going to file as married, but separate. It's more expensive, but it's quicker and I'd rather not slow down our process!

We had exactly the same situation, we also married on the 30th December :)

and my husband had to file married jointly, even the IRS website says the first year needs to be filed jointly. I'll copy the link for you. Since he had no income as a student , filing jointly will also bring you the most tax return since you have two deductions (one for you and one for your husband) and you'll get more money back 

he definitely has to apply for an ITIN, you have to do a paper return (not online or via TurboTax etc) and in the field where his ssn or itin is required you just write "applying for itin" 

If you have any questions feel free to text me

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/nonresident-spouse-treated-as-a-resident

please see the second point:

• You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice (but you and your spouse can file joint or separate returns in later years), and 

since he had no income it will benefit you the most so I'd definitely recommend filling jointly (also IRS says it's a must for the first year, see above)

also don't be worried , filing jointly is not complicated at all and won't take longer 

Best luck :)

Edited by kat&eddie

Timeline
2 hours ago, gaop0988 said:

Here's my timeline good luck everyone! 

AOS FROM B1/B2 

2/25/17 NOA

3/10/17 Biometricis for 3/21/16:jest:

Lucky you :( I still haven't received my letter for biometrics 

may i ask what local office you have for biometrics ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.