Konor94

Need to make this a productive visit (marriage license)

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So I am flying to Manila again on the 29th of March. The plan was that I get my AFFIDAVIT IN LIEU OF CERTIFICATE OF LEGAL CAPACITY TO CONTRACT MARRIAGE at the embassy. Then go to the pre-marriage seminar together, then apply for the marriage license. Now it's kinda been messed up. My fiance just got a job at a call center there and is still a trainee. Meaning, she cannot miss a single day of work until she's a regular employee. Her off days are on the weekend. So that means no marriage license this trip right? We cannot go to the seminar, we cannot apply for the license because those are things that take place Monday-Friday. I really do not know what to do. This is pretty devastating news to me because I do not have a lot of money, I'm a 23 year old college student and virtually all my income goes to school and these trips to Philippines. This means I will need to schedule a whole new trip after this one, and our marriage will be pushed back another 3 months after that new trip. ((She's 25 and we won't have parental advice so 3 month wait for marriage license)) It's $1500 at least that I need to now conjure up after I come home from this visit. My only happiness now is that even though nothing can get done this trip, I still get to see her, my best friend. So It's not all bad. 

I do not expect any answers or help haha. I just needed to say this to someone. She is asleep now and there's no one else to talk about this stuff with. Thanks for reading.

Timeline

She  can talk to her trainer for her to be absent and be downgraded to another batch of trainees if your vacation is done. I know some stuffs because I was once a trainer in 2 call centers back in Ph. I worked in 3 call center companies, and yes, they will accept that. I know you're not expecting answers but I'm just sharing you my knowledge about it. Goodluck!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Yang&Josh said:

She  can talk to her trainer for her to be absent and be downgraded to another batch of trainees if your vacation is done. I know some stuffs because I was once a trainer in 2 call centers back in Ph. I worked in 3 call center companies, and yes, they will accept that. I know you're not expecting answers but I'm just sharing you my knowledge about it. Goodluck!

Really? Do you know anything about EastWest call center? That is where she works now. She used to be at Convergys which I know is one of the big guys in Manila. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Why not just do the fiance visa instead of getting married?

not possible for us. I am a student and I do not meet the income requirement for that. In order to have my family co sponsor her visa we must do the CR-1. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Konor94 said:

Really? Do you know anything about EastWest call center? That is where she works now. She used to be at Convergys which I know is one of the big guys in Manila. 

Yes! I used to work in Convergys as well. But as a normal customer service representative. That's my last job before I left to come here. Convergys is the biggest bpo company in Ph and they will allow trainees to be absent if there's a valid reason. Having a vacation with your fiancé who lives outside the country and who cannot travel in Ph all the time is a valid reason coz I did the same as well. Lol. I was out for 2 weeks and I was in the 2nd phase of training that time, being 1month in the company. When I came back, I needed to wait for one more week because I needed to be in class with the lower batch and get in to class whenever the topic is same as the topic when I left to have my vacation. So I had vacation for 2 weeks which was not paid, and one week with no job as well. I haven't heard of Eastwest but almost all call center companies in the Philippines are the same since they are ahdering to how a BPO company should work.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Konor94 said:

not possible for us. I am a student and I do not meet the income requirement for that. In order to have my family co sponsor her visa we must do the CR-1. 

by the way, k1 visa and cr1 visa can both get a cosponsor. So either way, you can make any of your family members be your joint sponsor. Not only for Cr1. U just need to fill out the new I34 form (Affidavit of support) if doing fiancé visa

Timeline

Yes! I used to work in Convergys as well. But as a normal customer service representative. That's my last job before I left to come here. Convergys is the biggest bpo company in Ph and they will allow trainees to be absent if there's a valid reason. Having a vacation with your fiancé who lives outside the country and who cannot travel in Ph all the time is a valid reason coz I did the same as well. Lol. I was out for 2 weeks and I was in the 2nd phase of training that time, being 1month in the company. When I came back, I needed to wait for one more week because I needed to be in class with the lower batch and get in to class whenever the topic is same as the topic when I left to have my vacation. So I had vacation for 2 weeks which was not paid, and one week with no job as well. I haven't heard of Eastwest but almost all call center companies in the Philippines are the same since they are ahdering to how a BPO company should work.

I would love it if she could have 2 weeks off to be with me haha. Unfortunately her family would not. If she is not going to work then she has no reason to leave her house according to her mother. Can she just get the 2 separate days off? 1 to do seminar and 1 to go apply for the license? While still being able to work in between those 2 days? It is important that she has a job because without it, she is not allowed to leave her barangay. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Yang&Josh said:

by the way, k1 visa and cr1 visa can both get a cosponsor. So either way, you can make any of your family members be your joint sponsor. Not only for Cr1. U just need to fill out the new I34 form (Affidavit of support) if doing fiancé visa

Yes it is true that I can have a co sponsor on the K1 but it is my understanding that the K1 is approved by the Philippines embassy, not American. And the Philippines embassy rarely allows for a cosponsor. 

Timeline
Just now, Konor94 said:

Yes it is true that I can have a co sponsor on the K1 but it is my understanding that the K1 is approved by the Philippines embassy, not American. And the Philippines embassy rarely allows for a cosponsor. 

No, you're wrong about that. I know a lot of people who got approved with a k1 cosponsor. And it's very welcome. I suggest you join the facebook group of K1 visa journey and there, you can see thousands of experienced people who will help you regarding your questions. It's a very helpful group.

P.S. I'm 100% sure that cosponsor is  for K1 also. A lot of people did that duting my interview and I know some stuffs because I read a lot of sources and articles ?

Timeline

No, you're wrong about that. I know a lot of people who got approved with a k1 cosponsor. And it's very welcome. I suggest you join the facebook group of K1 visa journey and there, you can see thousands of experienced people who will help you regarding your questions. It's a very helpful group.

P.S. I'm 100% sure that cosponsor is  for K1 also. A lot of people did that duting my interview and I know some stuffs because I read a lot of sources and articles ?

Wow if this is true then it would change everything. K1 was our dream when we first discussed marriage last year but after a lot of research I saw people saying co sponsorship is approved case by case and that they rarely approve it. I am gonna check out that group.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Konor94 said:

Wow if this is true then it would change everything. K1 was our dream when we first discussed marriage last year but after a lot of research I saw people saying co sponsorship is approved case by case and that they rarely approve it. I am gonna check out that group.

I promise. You can have a cosponsor with K1. What you need to prove is your genuine relationship. Also, interview takes 5-10 minutes only.

3 minutes ago, Konor94 said:

Yeah I believe as well that you can have a cosponsor as well for K1 visas. You might have to look on the Philippines forum for that answer. But the big question here is why can't she leave the barangay, is it because of her mother? If that is the case it sounds like her mother is very in control of her adult child.

FYI, it would be good for y'all to sit down before she immigrates here to USA so that y'all can talk about her and her family's expectations when she comes to the USA. I am saying this because a number of people on here have came here to vent because the family in Pinas thinks that when their anak goes to the USA, that they can automatically start working and sending money home. Then you will also need to have realistic talk about how much money to send to the Philippines every month, for alot of couples(even my marriage) it was hard at first to pin that down. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Yeah I believe as well that you can have a cosponsor as well for K1 visas. You might have to look on the Philippines forum for that answer. But the big question here is why can't she leave the barangay, is it because of her mother? If that is the case it sounds like her mother is very in control of her adult child.

FYI, it would be good for y'all to sit down before she immigrates here to USA so that y'all can talk about her and her family's expectations when she comes to the USA. I am saying this because a number of people on here have came here to vent because the family in Pinas thinks that when their anak goes to the USA, that they can automatically start working and sending money home. Then you will also need to have realistic talk about how much money to send to the Philippines every month, for alot of couples(even my marriage) it was hard at first to pin that down. 

Ah yes, I have seen a few of those threads myself. I am researching the K1 again and from what I am seeing, I'm not sure about our chances. Though I would use a sponsor I will need to present my tax info from the past year and pay stubs. I have never earned enough to pay taxes haha, so I have no tax info. I work temporary, seasonal jobs in between terms at school. I can get a regular part time job but are a few pay stubs from that enough? Many sites are saying what I had read before, that I alone should make at least 100% poverty level to be approved with a co sponsor who makes over 125%. This is my problem with this visa. I make just enough to pay for my classes and these trips to Phil. not 100% poverty. 

CR-1 is good because the only income level that's important is my sponsor who earns well over 300% of the poverty level. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.