3,975 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

I know and also read that some people who came to the US on a K1 visa did not have to have an interview because of the K1 visa interview at the US embassy in their home country.

Not sure if that applies to other visa categories too.

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume7-PartA-Chapter5.html

I could have saved you and myself some time by googling, but no. I didn't know any better. I don't learn :) 

Probably won't apply to me.

Thank you for responding.

Timeline:

• AOS application submitted: 1/28/17
  • NOA1 for 130/765: 2/24/17
  • NOA1 for 485: 3/2/17
  • Biometrics letter: 3/11/17
  • Biometrics appointment: 3/30/17
  • EAD in production: 5/23/17
  • EAD received: 5/26/17
  • AP application received: 9/15/17 
  • AP application approved: 12/2/17 
  • Interview Notice received: 12/23/17
  • AOS Interview: 1/23/18
  • Approval email/texts: 2/8/18
  • Green Card mailed (hopefully): 2/14/18

2 minutes ago, antoineD said:

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume7-PartA-Chapter5.html

I could have saved you and myself some time by googling, but no. I didn't know any better. I don't learn :) 

Probably won't apply to me.

Thank you for responding.

A. Interview Waiver Criteria

1. Waiver Criteria

USCIS has the ability to waive an interview. [2] Adjustment of status interviews are generally waived for applicants in the following classifications:

Applicants clearly ineligible;

Unmarried children of U.S. citizens, if not filed as part of a family pack;

Parents of U.S. citizens;

Fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens who married within 90 days, and their children;

Asylee and refugee cases in which the applicant has previously been interviewed by an asylum or refugee officer; [3] and

Unmarried children (under age 14) of lawful permanent residents.

That would mean that none of the people who came in the US on a K1 visa would need an AOS interview. But why are there still some people (AOS filed because of K1) who receive an interview letter?

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

1 minute ago, Becci391 said:

USCIS has the ability to waive an interview. [2] Adjustment of status interviews are generally waived for applicants in the following classifications:

I think "ability" and "generally" are the key words here. It's discretionary.

It's like saying they "generally" issue EADs within 90 days. Sure, but when you look at the stats, it's not what actually happens.

Timeline:

1 hour ago, PinkCandy said:

@rose michigan aha! I just realized what RFIE is and that's what they are asking from me (I have not received the notice yet so still no idea what they want :) )

my_logo.png

Request for Initial Evidence Was Mailed

On March 27, 2017, we mailed a request for initial evidence for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSC____________. The request for evidence explains what we need from you. We will not take action on your case until we receive the evidence or the deadline to submit it expires. Please follow the instructions in the request for evidence. If you do not receive your request for evidence by April 26, 2017, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Try to find out which papers are missing , so you can be ready to send them ASAP when you get the mail, because RFIE will start you from day 0 unfortunatly

13 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

A. Interview Waiver Criteria

1. Waiver Criteria

Applicants clearly ineligible;

Unmarried children of U.S. citizens, if not filed as part of a family pack;

Parents of U.S. citizens;

Asylee and refugee cases in which the applicant has previously been interviewed by an asylum or refugee officer; [3] and

Unmarried children (under age 14) of lawful permanent residents.

That would mean that none of the people who came in the US on a K1 visa would need an AOS interview. But why are there still some people (AOS filed because of K1) who receive an interview letter?

Emphasis on "USCIS HAS the ability..." meaning that they don't have to. 

Its usually a 50/50 chance that the interview is waived from a K1. 

It's randomly selected, there is no pattern. Also, every field office has to make a certain number or percentage to fulfill their interview number which is required by USCIS. So if there are not many ppl with their field office in let's say Portland, they might end up having to give every single person an interview even if they all came on K1 and didn't have any red flags so they can meet the interview number requirements. 

In the end getting an interview is better because that usually means you get your greencard faster. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
7 minutes ago, IkaStuart said:

Update on our case. I just saw it is written 》Request for Initial Evidence Was Mailed《.

That is RFE right? 

Sooo stuppid!! :(

That is Request for INITIAL Evidence, which is different than Request for Evidence.  

K1 VISA

09/21/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

09/22/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

09/26/16....NOA1 Text and Email. Case sent to CSC

10/01/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received

11/01/16....NOA2 Text and Email

11/05/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received

11/22/16....NVC Received I-129F

11/23/16....Case Number Received

11/28/16....Left NVC to Consulate/Embassy

11/29/16....Embassy Received. Case status set as "Ready"

12/27/16....Medical

01/03/17....Interview

01/05/17....Visa Issued

01/10/17...Visa in Hand

01/28/17....POE at LAX

02/10/17....Got married.

AOS

03/09/17....Sent AOS Package

03/13/17....AOS Delivered

04/10/17....Checks cashed

04/11/17....NOA1 Texts and Emails 

04/17/17...Received hard copies in the mail

04/19/17...Received RFIE Notice via text and email

04/21/17...Received biometrics letters for wife and daughter in the mail

04/24/17...Received RFIE letter in the mail (they need I-864 even though I sent them the right form)

04/25/17...Sent RFIE via USPS Express mail 

04/26/17...RFIE package delivered and signed for.

04/28/17...Received notification via text that USCIS received our RFIE and that the case was updated again.

05/03/17...Biometric appointment for wife and daughter.

05/31/17...Received RFE via text and email for I765 & I-131

06/05/17...Received hard copies of RFE (they want to know whether to send documents to preparer's address or mailing address, which are the same...grrr) 

06/06/17...Sent USPS overnight express response of RFE to USCIS

06/07/17...USCIS received response to RFE

06/14/17...New EAD status: New Card is Being Produced

06/16/17....New EAD status: Card was Mailed to Me

06/19/17....Received hard copies of EAD/AP approvals

06/22/17....Received EAD/AP combo card.

11/06/17....AOS Interview scheduled: APPROVED!!

11/15/17... Received Green Card in the mail.

10 minutes ago, Denis & San said:

That is Request for INITIAL Evidence, which is different than Request for Evidence.  

But what are the initial evidences? Maybe Birth Certificate Translation? We did send but maybe it is not good. :'(

Edited by IkaStuart

1 hour ago, PinkCandy said:

@rose michigan aha! I just realized what RFIE is and that's what they are asking from me (I have not received the notice yet so still no idea what they want :) )

my_logo.png

Request for Initial Evidence Was Mailed

On March 27, 2017, we mailed a request for initial evidence for your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSC____________. The request for evidence explains what we need from you. We will not take action on your case until we receive the evidence or the deadline to submit it expires. Please follow the instructions in the request for evidence. If you do not receive your request for evidence by April 26, 2017, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address.

Take a closer look at your I-485 and your I-864 and the supporting documents you submitted. Something is missing or you left something blank in the forms. It usually ends up being the I-864 so I guess something is wrong with that. You submitted the Tax Return with W2s and some paystubs or employer letter? Does your sponsor have enough income? 

This might (but not always does!) turn your waiting time back so zero because it's an RFIE and not RFE. Don't get immediately scared that others say it definitely turns your time back to 0 because there's been plenty of VJ members who had RFIEs and their timeline wasn't significantly different than others who didn't get one. Also since you got the RFIE so early it likely won't affect your application at all because USCIS doesn't usually start processing your application anyways until they have your biometrics and you haven't even had it yet. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

I have a question.
I sent my documents on 3/8, they received in 3/10 and they sent them back because of error on I-485.
I fixed the error and sent it again immediately, they received it on 3/27.

Do you think I should be expecting NOA some time soon, rather than return of all the documents without any notification, like it happened last time? I was thinking that they may sent RFE or something after they initially send me NOA, but now I'm not sure. I also applied for the EAD the be expedited, because that's what most important to me right now. Can they process my EAD request while working on the rest, or does RFE stops everything?

Thanks,
Aga

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
1 hour ago, Kalciaa said:

I have a question.
I sent my documents on 3/8, they received in 3/10 and they sent them back because of error on I-485.

Do you think I should be expecting NOA some time soon, rather than return of all the documents without any notification, like it happened last time? I was thinking that they may sent RFE or something after they initially send me NOA, but now I'm not sure. I also applied for the EAD the be expedited, because that's what most important to me right now. Can they process my EAD request while working on the rest, or does RFE stops everything?

Thanks,
Aga

They send all of your docs back because either you made a mistake on the form, which is your case, or because you didn't pay the proper fee.

You will get your NOA first, hopefully soon, since now you sent the docs back with no error.

Might get an RFIE (request for initial evidence, like missing birth certificate for example) or RFE (like proof of expected income from sponsor for example) for other reasons, and at a later time. If so, your case will be updated on uscis website and you will also receive a copy by mail.

As for the EAD, I am not sure but I think an RFE puts your application on hold until they get the response back. Also, if you're trying to expedite it, you must have a very good reason to do so, like financial hardship.  

Hope I could help!

Edited by Soflatlndr

K1 

Spoiler

02/13/2016 .... Mailed I-129F to Lewisville, TX

02/19/2016 .... NOA 1 case sent to CSC

04/13/2016 .... NOA 2 (54 days from NOA1)

05/20/2016 .... Case received at Embassy, Pkt 3&4 email received

07/26/2016 .... Medical

07/27/2016 .... Interview (Paris) Approved

10/12/2016 .... P.O.E JFK 

AOS from K1 

Spoiler

02/21/2017 .... AOS Package Filed - Chicago Lockbox 

03/04/2017 .... NOA1 Hard-Copies Received (notice date 02/24/2017)

03/17/2017 .... Biometrics Appointment letter received

03/31/2017 .... Biometrics 

05/24/2017 .... EAD/AP approved

06/19/2017 .... AOS approved

ROC

Spoiler

05/14/2019 .... Joint I-751 filed via USPS Priority Mail - Dallas lockbox

05/24/2019 .... NOA1 hard copy received, extension letter valid until 12.19.2020

10/21/2019 .... Biometrics appointment 

04/08/2020 .... Case transferred to NBC (never got notification letter)

04/15/2020 .... Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

06/09/2020 .... Divorce proceedings started

08/05/2020 .... Interview was canceled (never got a notification letter for schedule or cancellation)

08/05/2020 .... Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview

12/03/2020 .... InfoPass appointment for I-551 Stamp 

12/17/2020 .... Divorce finalized

01/17/2021 .... Sent letter requesting I-751 divorce waiver 

11/21/2021 .... InfoPass appointment for new I-551 stamp

12/13/2021 .... Interview was Scheduled 

01/13/2022 .... Interview: case was approved (975 days !!!)

N400

Spoiler

05/01/2022 .... Filed N400 Online application

08/19/2022 .... Interview was scheduled 

09/23/2022 .... Interview - Washington DC field office - APPROVED

10/29/2022 …. Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Gabon
Timeline
6 hours ago, TL2016 said:

Just got done at my biometrics appointment. Took me about an hour from start to finish and most of the time was spent waiting.

Good to know !! 1 step done !! Congrats 

I-129F and Adjustment of Status.docK1 Visa Journey (see attachment)

Adjustment Of Status Journey(see attachment)

ROC Journey

08/27/19 : Windows opens.

I-129F and Adjustment of statusI

2 hours ago, Kalciaa said:

I have a question.

Thanks,
Aga

What @Soflatlndr said is all correct. If you get a RFE for your I-485 also the EAD processing is stopped as this is connected (that's why biometrics are done for both). 

If you didnt submit papers to prove financial hardship it's unlikely that your EAD gets expedited and if you don't have a co-sponsor I'd be careful about submitting hardship documents. If your partner is your primary sponsor you are trying to prove with your I-864 that he/she can support you and if you then say, you'd be suffering financial hardship if you don't get a job, it's kind of contradicting your I-864. 

EAD applications with just a job offer barely ever get expedited anymore, you need financial hardship. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Soflatlndr said:

They send all of your docs back because either you made a mistake on the form, which is your case, or because you didn't pay the proper fee.

You will get your NOA first, hopefully soon, since now you sent the docs back with no error.

Might get an RFIE (request for initial evidence, like missing birth certificate for example) or RFE (like proof of expected income from sponsor for example) for other reasons, and at a later time. If so, your case will be updated on uscis website and you will also receive a copy by mail.

As for the EAD, I am not sure but I think an RFE puts your application on hold until they get the response back. Also, if you're trying to expedite it, you must have a very good reason to do so, like financial hardship.  

Hope I could help!

Right before I sent my application my husband lost his job, so according to what we wrote on the application he's unemployed and currently my income is the only one for our household. With me getting a promotion and everything going on I figured "severe financial situation" will apply in this case. Also, I am employed by non-profit organization, so I used that argument in my letter as well.

Fingers crossed everything will go smooth this time.

We do have a supporting sponsor.

USCIS may expedite a petition or application if it meets one or more of the following criteria:

• Severe financial loss to company or person;
  • Emergency situation;
  • Humanitarian reasons;
  • Nonprofit organization whose request is in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States;
  • Department of Defense or national interest situation (These particular expedite requests must come from an official U.S. government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to the government.);
  • USCIS error; or
  • Compelling interest of USCIS.
Edited by Kalciaa

I just had my biometrics in San Francisco and it went as follows:

1. Drive 20mn for the 4mi trip

2. Attempt to find free or metered municipal parking for 30mn, then give up and opt for a garage

3. Explain that I am not my husband, but that we now share a last name, for 1mn

4. Have an ugly photo of me and my fingerprints taken for 3mn

All in all, not terrible :-)

Conclusion: learn how to parallel park!

Timeline:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.