Gar2017

Tattoos

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 hour ago, Latina Flower said:

When my ex husband had his medical exam for Ciudad Juarez, all they did was ask him the meaning of the tattoos. Like the person above said, as long as its not gang related then he should be fine. It will be OKAY!!! :D No need to stress.

That makes me feel so much better!!!  He doesn't have any gang related tattoos..  He designed all his tattoos and he has some on his legs that have no meaning at all four leave clover a cross some eyes but he did them to practice since he was a tattoo artist. I'm going to try and stay positive 

If these tattoos aren't gang-related, and you say they're not, I really don't think he has anything to worry about. When he goes to the interview, be sure he dresses nicely (doesn't have to wear a suit, but wear nice business-casual type shirt and pants if he has them). Answer truthfully that they're not gang-related and you should be fine.

Lots of people all around the world have tattoos now, and for most of them, it's just body art, and the CO knows this; they probably have a heads' up about which ones to note and watch for, anyway. Try not to worry too much, ok?

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ortolan said:

If these tattoos aren't gang-related, and you say they're not, I really don't think he has anything to worry about. When he goes to the interview, be sure he dresses nicely (doesn't have to wear a suit, but wear nice business-casual type shirt and pants if he has them). Answer truthfully that they're not gang-related and you should be fine.

Lots of people all around the world have tattoos now, and for most of them, it's just body art, and the CO knows this; they probably have a heads' up about which ones to note and watch for, anyway. Try not to worry too much, ok?

Thank you!! He dresses very nice so I don't worry about that. I had seen in the news that they were denying lots of people because of tattoos so I googled and so many stories and videos of people saying that they were denied because they had tattoos that weren't gang related so I completely freaked out. He does have his OSHA and a few other certificates of tattoo classes that he has completed so I'm going to have him take them 

Many people have responded to say "I have tattoos/my husband has tattoos and there were no problems". And they are right. However CDJ embassy is a difficult one with tattoos. I did read of a denial from there a few years ago on this forum. But in that case the tattoos were deemed to be gang-related. If you are certain they are not, then that's fine. If CDJ suspect that they are gang-related they will photograph them and send the photos off to be examined by a gang intelligence officer. 

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

***Moved to embassy and consulate discussion as this subject concerns medicals/visa interview stage***

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

This has also been on my mind lately a lot! I keep reading about people asking about tattoos during medical/interviews and I figured it was an issue. I also suspected it had to do with the stigma of tattoos and gangs. 

I am a tattoo artist. I have a full sleeve, half sleeve, chest piece,  and also on my legs. None are gang related of course. I have a cat that's half a mermaid for god's sake, birds, fruits.  But I am going to have to deal with CDJ and it's a scary thought nonetheless. 

I can't believe it's 2017 and this is still an issue... 

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

➺ 01/07/17 Got married in Cozumel

➺ 02/04/17 Petition mailed 

➺ 02/08/17 Case Assigned to USCIS Nebraska, sigh. 

➺ 02/13/17 We got our NOA1! PD: February 8th 

➺ 12/15/17 NOA2 finally! after 10 1/2 months. 

➺ 12/21/17 NVC confirmed they received our file 

➺ 01/22/18 Documents sent to Rapidvisa 

➺ 02/05/18  NVC received our package 

03/15/18 Case complete! 

06/27/18  We got our Interview date! August 28th 

08/30/18 The package arrived (waited at Juarez)

08/31/18 Entered the U.S with my husband 

➺ 02/13/19 Husband confesses he cheated, leaves

➺ 02/16/19 Husband decides to abandon the marriage

➺ 05/13/19  I am officially divorced. 

➺ 07/03/20  I file to remove conditions on my own     

➺ 08/13/21 I finally get my biometrics appointment 

➺ 02/26/22 I got my interview assigned: March 31st. 

💜Owner of Miss Lore Tattoos 💜

www.missloretattoos.com   Instagram.com/missloretattoos 

Tough times never last, but tough people do. 

200w.gif

Timeline
11 hours ago, Dilorena said:

This has also been on my mind lately a lot! I keep reading about people asking about tattoos during medical/interviews and I figured it was an issue. I also suspected it had to do with the stigma of tattoos and gangs. 

I am a tattoo artist. I have a full sleeve, half sleeve, chest piece,  and also on my legs. None are gang related of course. I have a cat that's half a mermaid for god's sake, birds, fruits.  But I am going to have to deal with CDJ and it's a scary thought nonetheless. 

I can't believe it's 2017 and this is still an issue... 

I'm hoping everything goes smooth. My husband was a tattoo artist and has many tattoos. It scares me a little thought that he hAs his last name is Old English writing  ? 

3 hours ago, MOMO_SLZ said:

I'm hoping everything goes smooth. My husband was a tattoo artist and has many tattoos. It scares me a little thought that he hAs his last name is Old English writing  ? 

thank you! I'm hoping your case goes smoothly as well. Explaining he was a tattoo artist is helpful I'm guessing? I've seen last names tattooed in Old English and it's not necessarily a red flag, many tattoos are obviously gang related, as those associated with MS13 for instance. But I get why you're a little scared, me too!

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

03/15/18 Case complete! 

200w.gif

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Dilorena said:

thank you! I'm hoping your case goes smoothly as well. Explaining he was a tattoo artist is helpful I'm guessing? I've seen last names tattooed in Old English and it's not necessarily a red flag, many tattoos are obviously gang related, as those associated with MS13 for instance. But I get why you're a little scared, me too!

He has His OSHA Certificate and I believe some type of tattoo artist certificates so I'm hoping that helps. I did Google this and the tattoos that were denied did look pretty gang related. Like smile now cry later tattoos and stuff that honestly looks gang related. But we will keep our fingers crossed and I'm guessing we will be going before you so I will keep updating 

Just now, MOMO_SLZ said:

He has His OSHA Certificate and I believe some type of tattoo artist certificates so I'm hoping that helps. I did Google this and the tattoos that were denied did look pretty gang related. Like smile now cry later tattoos and stuff that honestly looks gang related. But we will keep our fingers crossed and I'm guessing we will be going before you so I will keep updating 

yeah :) I think for sure there's no reason to worry.

Thank you! and yes, we just filed this month so there's a long wait ahead of us. I'll follow your timeline 

🇲🇽  & 🇺🇸

03/15/18 Case complete! 

200w.gif

On 2/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, MOMO_SLZ said:

I have my last name on my arm in old English and other tattoos and although they are most definitely NOT gang related I can see why someone who doesn't know me would think otherwise (I was young and dumb and didn't think it thru when I got them) I saw a video on YouTube where an immigration attorney recommends taking pictures of the tattoos and describing  what they mean to you or if possible even print out the meaning from online websites ,,,in case they ask you about it in your interview. I am so nervous about it that  I am actually looking to cover them up  something more colorful because I don't want to risk it :(

Timeline
5 hours ago, kat2017 said:

I have my last name on my arm in old English and other tattoos and although they are most definitely NOT gang related I can see why someone who doesn't know me would think otherwise (I was young and dumb and didn't think it thru when I got them) I saw a video on YouTube where an immigration attorney recommends taking pictures of the tattoos and describing  what they mean to you or if possible even print out the meaning from online websites ,,,in case they ask you about it in your interview. I am so nervous about it that  I am actually looking to cover them up  something more colorful because I don't want to risk it :(

He's looking into covering it too.. It's so scary and nervewrecking!! ? I wish somebody with tattoos from Cd Juatez would share their experience. Was it a video with a lady attorney and the guns and roses tattoo?

1 hour ago, MOMO_SLZ said:

He's looking into covering it too.. It's so scary and nervewrecking!! ? I wish somebody with tattoos from Cd Juatez would share their experience. Was it a video with a lady attorney and the guns and roses tattoo?

Yes that one. I know there isn't much info out there, the thing is I guess it depends on the interviewer at the consulate..but its crazy that their decision can change our lives forever. :(  just based on  what they think. in my opinion a clean background check and fingerprints are good enough to prove we are not gang members , they are basically just judging us based on our looks. Cover ups are expensive tho :\ hope I can save up before my appointment. Please share anything you find out or updates to your case. 

Timeline
10 hours ago, kat2017 said:

Yes that one. I know there isn't much info out there, the thing is I guess it depends on the interviewer at the consulate..but its crazy that their decision can change our lives forever. :(  just based on  what they think. in my opinion a clean background check and fingerprints are good enough to prove we are not gang members , they are basically just judging us based on our looks. Cover ups are expensive tho :\ hope I can save up before my appointment. Please share anything you find out or updates to your case. 

I will share any information that I find on here plus I go first we should have our I-130 approved by next month I hope.. Yes cover ups and laser are very expensive if the all these fees weren't as high we would be ok.  I agree that it's not fair if a person has a tattoo that says Some type of gang related words or a gang name I would understand but Old English letters were very popular a while back. Let's just hope for the best!! 

Timeline

I know how everyone is feeling my husband has his interview on the 28 of March on CDJ embassy. When is your appointment!?  Im also so scared that they will denied his visa due to the same reason! ? He has quite a few tattoos his both last names one on each arm in old english his parents names and the name of his deceased brother in cursive; on his chest he has another piece of a samurai on his shoulder blade a unicorn, and lastly an his leg he has a tattoo of what looks like to be a mechanic leg. I dont think any of his tattoos are gang related, but we will have to see once we are there. In case our appointment is before yours I will let you know how it went. ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.