Stephen Spencer

Entered on K1, then accepted into fully funded PhD program. Worried about scholarship!

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered on a K1 last week.
Today, I was accepted into a fully-funded PhD program in America, which includes a university funded scholarship.
However, on the funding page for the university, it says the following "Regrettably, university funded scholarships are not available to students who are not qualified aliens."

By the time I receive the scholarship (in September) I will have filed for AOS, and will (probably) have received my EAD. I will have an SSN. 
Will I be a qualified alien? 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

That would depend on the definition of qualified alien.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You were accepted into the programme before you entered as a K1 visa recipient. 

Clearly the alien status applied during the application process?  Speak with your academic advisor and they will guide you through university policies and what can be done. 

Congratulations by the way. 

Edited by HoosierEh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
55 minutes ago, Boiler said:

That would depend on the definition of qualified alien.

Yes, that is what I'm trying to determine. According to legal definitions, I don't think I will be, because I need to be a lawful permanent resident. 
I will have filed my application for permanent residence. 
I will just have to speak with the admissions department. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.