manto10

J1 visa holder hoping to stay

25 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hi there,

Im on a J1 visa working for a company in Seattle as a designer.

I arrived in January 2016 and my visa finishes end of June 2017, my issue is looking for ways to stay? easier said than done!

My employer is happy to keep me but is unsure of the process and I'm completely overwhelmed by much of this stuff, I've done my research but sometimes its better to hear it from the ones who know. 

what would be my best options and is there anything I can do? (Im not subject to the two year residence requirement if that helps)

Thanks for any help or advice in advance its thoroughly appreciated!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Have your employer contact an immigration lawyer with experience with work visas.  

Since no one here knows your employer's qualifications or your qualifications, it would be hard to point you to anything.  An experienced work visa attorney can flush out the details necessary to advise you and your employer.  A consultation is fairly cheap.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Marriage?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

If an immigration lawyer sounds like the right next step then perhaps i'll mention it to them. I hope doesn't cost too much im a junior designer so im forever wondering where my limit is in respect of how much there willing to spend on me. You can only try though!

I've been told marriage over and over ha if the right girl came around then yes it would make all the problems go away(only 4 months left now). Sadly hasnt worked out so far. Also noticed your from Wales Boiler? what brought yourself out here if you dont mind me asking was it and easy process...

Thanks for your quick responses much appreciated!

Timeline
2 minutes ago, manto10 said:

If an immigration lawyer sounds like the right next step then perhaps i'll mention it to them. I hope doesn't cost too much im a junior designer so im forever wondering where my limit is in respect of how much there willing to spend on me. You can only try though!

I've been told marriage over and over ha if the right girl came around then yes it would make all the problems go away(only 4 months left now). Sadly hasnt worked out so far. Also noticed your from Wales Boiler? what brought yourself out here if you dont mind me asking was it and easy process...

Thanks for your quick responses much appreciated!

Me, Marriage.

Obviously I am guessing but it sounds like the only other option would be a H1b which is a lottery assuming you qualify. Work Visa's are Employer sponsored.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

is the HB1 pretty much the only work visa that is worth trying for? then aside from that its pretty much marriage is your best bet

ive heard Microsoft sponsor green cards in bulk for there international employees im assuming that must be really expensive 

Timeline

The lottery is about 4x oversubscribed usually,  so the big boys mainly Indian Outsourcers apply for 4x as many as they need.

Timeline

For the H1b, your employer would need to file quickly around April 1.  The window closes rather quickly after a few days.  Visas would be available at the start of the next fiscal year starting on Oct. 1.

What kind of a designer are you?  Fashion?  Web?

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

As long as you have  the degree and the job requires a degree.

Timeline

Depends on the Lawyer fees, adding a low chance as well does not help.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Your employer can extend your J1 for beginners.

I have been here on J1 for about 3 years now and adjusting to GC through marriage at this point.

Other options include employer based GC (I-140 I believe) and H1 visa

Changing to different visa category such as O1 for employee with extraordinary ability or achievement is also a possibility.

You need to discuss with your employer as that would require an immigration attorney and some time

Best of luck

J1 Waiver Timeline- No-Objection Statement

• Statement Of Reason Received October, 11 2016
  • Passport Data Page Received October, 11 2016
  • Form DS-2019 Received October, 11 2016
  • Form DS-3035 October, 11 2016
  • Fee Received October, 11 2016
  • No Objection Statement Received November 07, 2016
  • Incomplete Information Letter Sent November 08, 2016
  • Change of Address Received November 09, 2016
  • No Objection Statement Received November, 25 2016
  • Department of State Decision: Favorable Recommendation. Date Recommendation Sent November, 30 2016
  • USCIS NOA December 13, 2016 - Dated December 6, 2016
  • USCIS NOA - approval - March 21, 2017 - Dated March 13, 2017 (Waiver Journey Done)
AOS FROM J-1 (Married Jan 04, 2016)
  • Day xx - Dec-10-2016 Package sent
  • Day 00 - Dec-12-2016 - AOS Package Delivered [Chicago Lockbox]
  • Day 09 - Dec-21-2016 - Checks Cashed
  • Day 11 - Dec-23-2016 - electronic NOAs X4!!! (12:30 am) email and text notifications
  • Day 15 - Dec-27-2016 - NOAs in the mail; Dated 12/22/2016
  • Day 26 - Jan-07-2017 - Biometrics letter for 1/18/2017
  • Day 28 - Jan-09-2017 - Successful walk-in for biometrics (Cleveland USCIS)
  • Day 29 - Jan-10-2017 - RFIE (I-864)
  • Day 45 - Jan-26-2017 - RFIE response sent 
  • Day 49 - Jan-30-2017 - RFIE delivered to USCIS @ Lees Summit, MO
  • Day 50 - Jan-31-2017 - RFIE response received by USCIS (case update)
  • Day 100 - March -22-2017 - EAD card being produced (4 text msgs!!)

• Day 105 - March -27-2017 - EAD & AP approval notices in the mail

• Day 107 - March-29-2017 - EAD & AP mailed to me

• Day 110 - April-01-2017 - EAD/AP combo card received

• Day 171 - June-01-2017 - request change address to Pittsburgh, PA

• Day 319 - Oct - 27 - 2017 - Interview notice for November 30

• Day 353 - Nov - 30 - 2017 - Interview date. Approved on the spot.

• Day 361 - Dec - 08 - 2017 - Approval notice in the mail, dated 12/4/2017. USPS update later showing GC picked

• Day 362 - Dec - 09 - 2017 - GC in the mail. 

Timeline

Your employer should expect to pay around $5000 in lawyer fees to obtain a work visa for you.  Under the law, your employer must pay and can not receive reimbursement or charge you for any of it.  

This is not a DIY.  You need an experienced immigration lawyer.

Timeline

how do you stay on a j1 for 3 years i thought it could only last for 20 months?

sorry whats GC? 

thats my fear is the cost of a lawyer might put them off if i cant help pay its a smaller company 

thanks for all your responses1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.