Captain Ewok

Manila Embassy Interview/Visa Status

2,962 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
When is the timing to apply for a state ID and driver's license? Would it be better to apply it after the wedding (with the marriage certificate)?

one more thing, what if somebody wants to hire me part-time in an ice cream shop after d wedding? am i allowed to? wont i get into trouble?

thanks.

Your I-94 allows you to work until it expires per SSA regulations (I have the link for this at home) , the trick however will be in finding an employer that will accept it. With the current focus on illegal immigration this will be even more difficult. Good Luck to you!

I left out this part..."provided that you already have an SS number"

We applied for a SS number 3 weeks after Novelyn arrived in the US and had the card a week later.

I dont think I have the EAD stamp on my passport at POE. I receive my SSCard today though it says there that "valid for work only with DHS authorization". What does that mean? Is this what it meant by I can work till my I-94 expires?

The employer may hire me part time coz he believes that i can work after getting married. However, what i am worried about is the legality..what if he reports my name for withholding tax purposes? etc.

as always, thank you for your advices.

When is the timing to apply for a state ID and driver's license? Would it be better to apply it after the wedding (with the marriage certificate)?

one more thing, what if somebody wants to hire me part-time in an ice cream shop after d wedding? am i allowed to? wont i get into trouble?

thanks.

Your I-94 allows you to work until it expires per SSA regulations (I have the link for this at home) , the trick however will be in finding an employer that will accept it. With the current focus on illegal immigration this will be even more difficult. Good Luck to you!

We applied for a SS number 3 weeks after Novelyn arrived in the US and had the card a week later.

I dont think I have the EAD stamp on my passport at POE. I receive my SSCard today though it says there that "valid for work only with DHS authorization". What does that mean? Is this what it meant by I can work till my I-94 expires?

The employer may hire me part time coz he believes that i can work after getting married. However, what i am worried about is the legality..what if he reports my name for withholding tax purposes? etc.

DHS authorization would be an EAD or green card. your I-94 expires 90 days after your entry. after the I-94 expires, you can not legally work till you have an EAD or green card. when you AOS, you then also can apply for the EAD card, takes about 90 days to receive your EAD card.

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

thanks.

Here is the link that I spoke of earlier...

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

Go to the section labeled "C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission"

Then look under "1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization"

My reading from there is what I based my statements about K1 visa holders being able to work before getting an EAD....

We waited until we were married to apply for Novelyn's SS Card so that it would have her married name on it.

Novelyn & Gragg

K1

02/08/2007 NOA1 l

05/10/2007 NOA2 !!!

08/13/2007 Interview date... Approved!!!

08/17/2007 Arrive in the US

09/08/2007 Wedding in Las Vegas!

AOS

10/11/2007 AOS mailed overnight to Chicago Lockbox

10/24/2007 NOA for AOS and EAD

11/20/2007 Biometrics Appointment

12/05/2007 EAD Approved, Card Production Ordered!

12/14/2007 EAD Card Received

12/21/2007 Transfered to CSC!

01/28/2008 Green Card and Welcome letter received in the mail!

ROC

10/29/2009 Packet Overnighted to CSC

11/06/2009 NOA Letter Recieved

11/16/2009 Biometrics Appointment Letter

12/02/2009 Biometrics Completed!

Here is the link that I spoke of earlier...

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

Go to the section labeled "C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission"

Then look under "1. Aliens Work Authorized Without Specific DHS Authorization"

My reading from there is what I based my statements about K1 visa holders being able to work before getting an EAD....

We waited until we were married to apply for Novelyn's SS Card so that it would have her married name on it.

That's why a K-1 is able to obtain a SSN. once the I-94 expires, your status has changed. you are now out of status unless you have AOS. then your status is pending for conditional residency.

I have noticed this even before... PatientlyWaiting a.k.a. Ate Cora has been missing for quite a long time. Anybody seen her or heard from her? I hope she's doing ok.

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

I have noticed this even before... PatientlyWaiting a.k.a. Ate Cora has been missing for quite a long time. Anybody seen her or heard from her? I hope she's doing ok.

--Mae

She is doing great! Ate Cora sent me a PM about two weeks ago...

Edited by Sheriff Uling

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

OO nga I missed PW (it's been ahile since I last heard from her here) pati na rin si Sheriff, I also wonder how Jasman and Claudeth are doing?

Arrival in the US 02-22-07

Married 04-05-07

Filed AOS/EAD 04-25-07 (priority mail)

Received at Chicago lockbox 04-28-07

Check encashed 05-02-07

Received biometrics letter 05-10-07

Biometrics sked 06-1-07 @ Charlotte, NC

Transferred to CSC 06-01-07

CRIS email confirming transfer to CSC 06-08-07

Touched 06-10-07 (Someone is working on a sunday)

EAD approval 7-9 (CRIS email received 7-14)

AOS 1st touched 7-17 pm since transfer to CSC

AOS 2nd touched 7-18 am

AOS 3rd touched 7-19 around 9am then around 12:48 CRIS email came AOS card prodution!

AOS 4th touched 7-20 9:27am Welcome letter

AOS welcome letter in the mail 7/21

EAD card received 7/21

Green card received 7/26

Immigration free till 7/18/09

I-751

Sent application 04-18-09

Check cashed on 04-22-09

Received on 05-05-09

Received Bio Sked 05-14-09

Bio Schedule 06-01-09

And then the wait.....

*** ps didn't apply for SS id or driver's permit not until 8 days before my I-94 expired and was told to wait for my EAD or greencard which ever comes first huh!

*** apply for SSS, driver's license passed 7/23

Malditang Pinay

www.maldita12.blogspot.com

Tomorrow is our AOS interview. Praying for success! We will let you all know how it goes.

Scott and Mirasol

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

She is doing great! Ate Cora sent me a PM about two weeks ago...

Hello everyone,

Thank you for thinking about me. I have not been "missing in action" but have been lurking lang. I visit VJ almost daily but don't have time to post anymore because the Blushing Bride is now the Maid of Honor, que horror! (chimay sa bahay, in other words). From the time I get up at 6am, it's all wifey, mommy, dog sitter and household chores until the end of the day but it's worth it (but I miss my maid of honor sa Philippines huhuhu).

Doug and I are also busy looking for a house and it takes a lot of time and patience.

I'll try to post once in a while kapag may time. I'm typing this while waiting for my laundry to finish. Buti na lang may washing machine/dryer. Habang naglalaba pwede pa ako mag-vacuum at magligpit-ligpit. I don't really know how to cook so I'm also learning how to cook. Pag tinatamad na ako, I just feed my son and Doug yung mga TV dinners. Isalang lang sa microwave, voila, dinner is served hehehe.

My interview is on Nov. 6. Good luck to Scott and Mirasol.

Hello to all my oldtimer-friends out there.

PW

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Im sorry Scott, I might have to broadcast it before you do :devil: hehehe. Was talking to Mirasol earlier and she said it went well, hurray :dance: ! Inggit naman ako sa inyo, buti pa kayo nakakapag Jollibee, layo Jollibee samen eh. Anyway congrats and I'll be in touch with you again guys.

Hi Ate Cora, was wondering about you too.

Im sorry Scott, I might have to broadcast it before you do :devil: hehehe. Was talking to Mirasol earlier and she said it went well, hurray :dance: ! Inggit naman ako sa inyo, buti pa kayo nakakapag Jollibee, layo Jollibee samen eh. Anyway congrats and I'll be in touch with you again guys.

Hi Ate Cora, was wondering about you too.

:o Someone let the cat out of the bag early! :lol: It's okay....I forgive you. ;) It's good news anyway! We're APPROVED!!!! :dance::thumbs::dance::thumbs::dance: No more USCIS for 2 years! :dance::dance::dance:

Our appointment was at 2PM in San Jose, California. We arrived a bit early at 1:45PM and were called in almost immediately after getting to the waiting room. The immigration officer was an Asian gentleman and very pleasant. We exchanged greetings as we arrived in his office and then sat down. Something I was surprised about was that he never swore us in as I had heard was done.

Anyways...the interview was super quick. He asked us for our identification and we provided it. He then confirmed our address and phone number. He then told us he had been sent our whole file and that he had most everything he needed. He quickly flew over the questions about previous criminal history etc. and then asked for our marriage certificate. Finally, he asked for the additional proof of genuine relationship and we provided him with a copy of our bank account statement with both our names on it, medical insurance enrollment forms and insurance cards in her name, cell phone bill in both our names, and some photographs of us together and us with my kids. He then stated that would be sufficient.

He concluded by saying that he would approve Mir's application for AOS today and that the fingerprints and name checks were all cleared. He told us that Mir should receive the green card in about 7 days. WOOOHOOO!!!!

Thank you Gracy, Imaskin, and Ate Cora for the well wishes. It's really been a blessing to have this board to learn about this process and to have others going through the same thing. Best of luck to Ate Cora and all those still going through the waiting.

Scott and Mirasol

PS....I don't know what Gracy said about Jollibee cuz I only understand a few words of Tagalog, but yes...my honey did locate a Jollibee in California near San Francisco so we drove there after her interview for some Chicken Joy and rice. It was about 45 minutes away from the interview location, but Mir really wanted to go. :lol: I can't resist her charm! She just looks at me so sweetly and I melt. hehehe ILOVEYOUHONEYBUNNY4LIFE!!! (L)

Removing Conditions on Wife's GC

08/14/09-Mailed Packet to CSC

08/24/09-Packet Received at CSC

08/24/09-Check Cashed

09/16/09-NOA 1 Received (My Error)

09/16/09-Biometrics

10/20/09-Interview PASSED!!!!

10/28/09-Approval Notice Received via US Mail

AOS for Daughter's K-2

07/14/09 - Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

07/16/09 - Received AOS Packet in Chicago

07/27/09 - NOA1 Received

08/10/09 - Biometrics ---DONE!!!---

09/16/09 - Interview Date AOS Held Pending Outcome of Wife's I-751

10/20/09 - Mir Passes ROC Interview

10/23/09 - Email received-Card Production Ordered!Woohooo!!!

Scott and Marisol, Congrats on the AOS approval :thumbs: you must have gone to the Jolibee in Union City. my step daughter consumed two Jolly Dogs but had to turn down her request for a third. they're a little more pricey than in Philippines. :lol:

PW, best of luck with your AOS interview on Nov 6th. :thumbs: the microwave is a wonderful invention, isn't it. :lol:

Yazi has become frustrated at times with her job search. last week she passed an interview for volunteer position with a local PD. at least it's something similar to what she was doing in the Philipines and will be a good reference from here.

hope all is going well with all the Manila Interview Thread Alumni :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.