Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Definitely. Boston Carnival has always been one of my favorites. Long drive from Baltimore but well worth it.

Wow, didn't know you were in Baltimore, I'll be moving to Washington area!! Maybe your wife can be my new best friend :)

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I know many Jamaican spending easter in the uS for the first time are a little surprised how low key this holiday is for most Americans. My wife was surprised that she had classes at the University today since it was good Friday. Jamaicans have a long weekend for Easter and Good Friday. The holiday starts today and does not end till Tuesday. My employers closed business for Good Friday for the first time this year, but it is almost like MLK birthday where it's like a floating holiday for most people. It would have been like my first day off in a long time and would have loved to spend it with her. I almost thought she would have cried when she had to go to school today. Especially since we had 80 degree weather last week snd wend down to 27 last ight. How are your Jamaican hubbies coping with being away from home for Easter?

How are your Jamaican hubbies coping with being away from home for Easter?

Roy doesn't think he has to go to school on Monday 'cause it's Easter Monday.....just like last year, I am having a hard time explaining it to him :lol: He already ate his "bun" so I need to go buy another one....no plans -- he is working both jobs all weekend.....

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I know many Jamaican spending easter in the uS for the first time are a little surprised how low key this holiday is for most Americans. My wife was surprised that she had classes at the University today since it was good Friday. Jamaicans have a long weekend for Easter and Good Friday. The holiday starts today and does not end till Tuesday. My employers closed business for Good Friday for the first time this year, but it is almost like MLK birthday where it's like a floating holiday for most people. It would have been like my first day off in a long time and would have loved to spend it with her. I almost thought she would have cried when she had to go to school today. Especially since we had 80 degree weather last week snd wend down to 27 last ight. How are your Jamaican hubbies coping with being away from home for Easter?

My has been very quiet but he is use to it spending so many away working on the ship. I did surprise him with Easter bun, cheese, patties, bammy, salt fish and some other things I has shipped from the Caribbean Market.

I am baking a small ham for my mother and me and roasting chicken for him on Sunday.

WE ARE DONE!!!

We really like lamb so I might make that on Sunday......very low key.....

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Timeline
Clarifying. You know a couple years ago the people who organize Baltimore Carnival had a big falling out. So the group split and formed two association and hence Baltimore has 2 carnivals. The first one this year is July 13-15th. The parade is on Sat 14th 2007. The other is September 9th 2007. I do not normally go to the one in September because after Boston and New York, I normally do not have enough energy. Besides I like carnival when it is hot and sunny, not in September when we sometimes get an early chill here in Baltimore. Jumping half naked in the streets is better when it is hot.

We are definitely going to be in DC. Just so you know, I play with the mud band every year. I am not into the pretty mass in DC. The mud band has the most fun and all my friends are in the mud band. You should really give it a try. I know the whole idea of putting mud on your skin and jumping in the street may not sit well with you. Iffeisha is not keen about it either. But I did this since my days of living in Trinidad and I could not think of playing mas in DC any other way. I try to play with the mud bands in cities where they are allowed. My wife and I enjoyed jamaican carnival for the first time together last year in Kingston and she normlly sees me as a stiff jacket always business like. After that experienc she no longer has that perception. Calypso music has an effect on me that is hard to explain.

Thanks :thumbs: I've never seen the mud band so I'll prepare myself for it....sounds like fun.

Timeline
Definitely. Boston Carnival has always been one of my favorites. Long drive from Baltimore but well worth it.

Wow, didn't know you were in Baltimore, I'll be moving to Washington area!! Maybe your wife can be my new best friend :)

I m sure she would love that. She has not made too many friends in Baltimore as yet. Been so hectic with work, school and all, she has been swamped since she got here. At the rate she is going at , it looks like she would earn her 4 year US degree in 2 years. I keep telling her that the 18 credits a semester can burn her out, but she wants this degree behind her. Try 18 credits a semester and working 30 hours a week. I do not know where she finds the energy to do it. I have found myself cooking meals more often than not of late. I keep telling her she better be lucky that her husband can cook otherwise she would be eating Mc Donalds everyday. Like most of you ladies, it is a good feeling when your better half comes here and really take advantage of the opportunities. We were so lucky this semester when the green card came earlier than we anticipated. Now she gets Financial Aid and with Pell grant and SEOG she got the semester bill behind her. We had to twist some arms to get In State tuition rates at the University of Maryland cause you have to be living in the State of Maryland for a year to get In State rate. Now I am up all nights reading assignments. You know how Jamaicans write with flowery language. Must be that British Education. I keep telling her, American professors like it simple and straight to the point. She hates me chopping her papers but she smiles when she gets the A every time. I tell you, I feel like I am earning a degree again. But I figure it's a great investment. We have our eyes set on a piece of property in Jamaica where we are going to build that mansion. We need two normal pay checks to afford to build the mansion on it after we buy the land when we go home in December. So the faster she gets that degree, the happier I would be.

Timeline

Damien's job is closed today..he doesn't understand why the government is open???

I don't know to many companies that close for Easter. Working all Easter weekend last year did not set well with him......

Damien is going to cook brown stew fish Sunday..he's been eating bun & cheese all week.

Is there a difference between the Easter bun and the regular bun? Taste the same to me :huh:

Edited by sjb1221

Timeline

Roy doesn't think he has to go to school on Monday 'cause it's Easter Monday.....just like last year, I am having a hard time explaining it to him :lol: He already ate his "bun" so I need to go buy another one....no plans -- he is working both jobs all weekend.....

Easter Monday! These Jamaican and the holidays. As if good Friday was not enough. Don't worry in Trinidad they celebrate Easter Tuesday also so I know the feeling.

Timeline

My has been very quiet but he is use to it spending so many away working on the ship. I did surprise him with Easter bun, cheese, patties, bammy, salt fish and some other things I has shipped from the Caribbean Market.

I am baking a small ham for my mother and me and roasting chicken for him on Sunday.

When you say shipped, you get to order online and they deliver? I have to drive all the way to Silver Spring to get some bammy. The oriental stores here in Baltimore call themselves Caribbean Markets. Please they only thing the have is salt fish. That is if you can get pass the smell. I had my mother in law ship me some bammy a couple weeks ago from Jamaica. I felt like a kid on Christmas morning when that box arrived.

Clarifying. You know a couple years ago the people who organize Baltimore Carnival had a big falling out. So the group split and formed two association and hence Baltimore has 2 carnivals. The first one this year is July 13-15th. The parade is on Sat 14th 2007. The other is September 9th 2007. I do not normally go to the one in September because after Boston and New York, I normally do not have enough energy. Besides I like carnival when it is hot and sunny, not in September when we sometimes get an early chill here in Baltimore. Jumping half naked in the streets is better when it is hot.

We are definitely going to be in DC. Just so you know, I play with the mud band every year. I am not into the pretty mass in DC. The mud band has the most fun and all my friends are in the mud band. You should really give it a try. I know the whole idea of putting mud on your skin and jumping in the street may not sit well with you. Iffeisha is not keen about it either. But I did this since my days of living in Trinidad and I could not think of playing mas in DC any other way. I try to play with the mud bands in cities where they are allowed. My wife and I enjoyed jamaican carnival for the first time together last year in Kingston and she normlly sees me as a stiff jacket always business like. After that experienc she no longer has that perception. Calypso music has an effect on me that is hard to explain.

Thanks :thumbs: I've never seen the mud band so I'll prepare myself for it....sounds like fun.

Good, so I will keep you posted as time gets closer.

Timeline
Damien's job is closed today..he doesn't understand why the government is open???

I don't know to many companies that close for Easter. Working all Easter weekend last year did not set well with him......

Damien is going to cook brown stew fish Sunday..he's been eating bun & cheese all week.

Is there a difference between the Easter bun and the regular bun? Taste the same to me :huh:

You need that white cross on ghe Easter bun for it to be authentic. There is the hot cross bun with the white cross and then there is the big loaf. I never realy noticed the difference in the year round loaf and the easter bun. But trust me, Jamaicans will swear there is a difference.

Filed: Other Timeline

He's relaxed on the sofa enjoying his bun and cheese, watching TBN :D Callin every JAcian he knows in the states and at home telling them happy easter. He would normally have to work if he were in JA. now we have to get Bun and cheese for everyone we know next year :o He was soo happy when the kids ate it and did not turn there nose up at it. He is so very proud of anything that represent his country. His feelings were hurt once when the kids would not eat fried dumplin, they ate it after I told them it was a fried buscuit. :huh: Then realized it wasn't an attack against him or his culture.

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Timeline

I ordered it from Sams Caribbean Market on line. First time ordering as we have nothing close. We will have to venture out to Boston to find some markets there.

We really like lamb so I might make that on Sunday......very low key.....

Roy eats lamb??? Hubby will only eat chicken and fish. I am soooooooooo sick of chicken and fish is so expensive.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Timeline

You need that white cross on ghe Easter bun for it to be authentic. There is the hot cross bun with the white cross and then there is the big loaf. I never realy noticed the difference in the year round loaf and the easter bun. But trust me, Jamaicans will swear there is a difference.

Okay, we always buy the HTB regular bun all year around and the Easter buns every Easter but I don't notice a difference in taste. The only difference is I see is the Easter buns come in two different sizes. The Caribbean market had 8-10 different Jamaican buns. And they sell the JA cheese in smaller cans...only see that during Easter time.

Where did you get bammy from in Silver Spring?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.