Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Question??

While the men are waiting for AOS, can't they get into a training program or something. To keep them busy. I've already found three programs for him to do while he gets his AOS. One being his GED, which I found out last night he can get for free. He wanted to try and find a job right a way but I told him no, it's better to get that piece of paper first.

Now I'm not talking about two and three year programs. If every thing goes well, he'll be up here while i'm on maternity leave so we will have some stay at home time together.

Your posts have been very helpful. Just from reading your posts, have helped me talk about certain subjects with him in regards to when he comes here. As to him being/feeling independent. he has an independant income in JA that can help him when he comes as to paying for one of his training programs and bringing money to help out. So I hope it works out because of course he feels no need to rush about anything

I am kind of getting worried now, I went to school in Jamaica, and even though I have 10 years law enforcement experience, I am wondering if they accept CXC (Caribbean Examinations Council) passes as equivalent to GED??

I also finished a year in university but didn't finish my degree.....

Would be interested to hear if anyone's spouse's Jamaican qualification was accepted?

My friend told me his Jamaican schooling didn't mean squat when it came to getting a job here in the US and he had to get a GED. I would HIGHLY recommend, if you can swing it (meaning him getting to and from) getting him into any type of programs. Craig really wants to get into Air conditioning stuff .....but needs a GED for the place that he's interested in. It's just about finding the time..... Also with **some** they aren't the best at reading and writing. Craig can do both, although slow, but when he came here I made a bunch of blank copies of employment applications and helped him so that he knows how to fill them out correctly. This may sound childish, but I have some 1st and 2nd grade learning books that I've kept over the years and a phonics typing thing and Craig said that helps him ALOT.

So any "extra" positive programs/educational stuff like that.............definitely !!!!

Ok I'm confused....if you have graduated from high school in Jamaica, you STILL need to get a GED in the States to work? My SO graduated high school and even did some college, will he still need a GED to get a decent job?

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline
:yes: Hey Everyone,

I have decided to delete my VJ account today due to some issues from another thread. If do you want to get in touch with me, my email is: jlenoir2003@yahoo.com or lenoirjb@alverno.edu. I check my emails daily. Thanks for all the support, you guys were very helpful.

(F) Mrs. Jones

Yeah I learned a long time ago about posting anything in any other thread, you better not dear ask a question, the reply will most likely be to "go read the guide". :blink::wacko:

Well, good luck on your journey, You kinda have to let the stuff...meaning the comments roll off your back, that's probably pretty hard to do being full of hormones going through your body with the baby and all. I wish you and your hubby the best. THIS thread, has not been all bad, tho. tak care (F)

Dee

Edited by Denden

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

Just last weekend I woke up and our entire front lawn was all tore up :o It looked like someone had chopped up the grass into small clumps and just left them lying there. It turns out, Tony took it upon himself to decide that we needed a new front lawn :o So he chopped up all the grass. Now, he never even bothered to ask me about any of this. I started to get mad and then he said, It's my house too right??? I shut right up. We've fought way too many times because I feel the need to make all the decisions around the house. He used to do landscaping so he can lay the new sod by himself. It will only cost us whatever the sod costs. No labor costs. So I just shook my head and left it alone :blush:

:lol::lol:

I like Kim's post as well, Yes, I agree, Rhonda, that you have to choose your battles. I think that everythime you/we are able to "pull" through a struggle, trial, tribulation, whatever and you both are able to see eye to eye with the mistakes made in the relationship, the struggles it make our bond a bit stronger. :) I wish Shawna and Mike the best, only you know whats best for your relationship.

"the success of marriage comes not in finding the "right" person, but in the ability of both partners to adjust to the real person they ineveiably realize they married"....John Fisher ;)

Edited by Denden

Filed: Timeline
But not everyone there[JA] is poor. Not everyone there is suffering from a lack of education and opportunity.

Life in the US is difficult for people that are poor and many people do not have education or opportunity.

True. I have a few Jamaican friends that I met in the U.S. while they were taking accelerated classes at the univeristy here in town. They are back home in Jamaica now. One has a housekeeper and a nanny. Another, along with her husband owns several rental properties, including one property that they rent to tourists. Yet another travels to NY, London and Panama routinely to shop. All are teachers, one is actually a professor. Only one said she would consider moving to the US- and that's because her children are here in the US.

I have travelled a lot within this country and abroad and I have to say; that there is extreme poverty along with wealth in each and every city that I've traveled to, with the exception of Switzerland. However, I'm sure that if I looked harder it (extreme poverty) would have been there too.

hey this is a suggestion....have any of who are having some marriagee problems ever thought about letting one man speak to another like maybe the guy who was felling messed up in the beginning with adjusting can speak to the one who is struggling now.

Sound like a good idea, but some men hate their 'business' being discussed outside!!

But might be an idea maybe to say to him 'oh I know this other couple where the guy is from Jamaica, why don't you call him and ask him for tips on living abroad?'

Ditto, my hubby would never tell someone he didn't know about his "business", He has two friends tho, who get in his a$$ when the learn he's messed up in anyway, besides, I've heard men in general make better best friends... they tend to take up for each other or help make excuses for each other....but that's just what I've heard :whistle: No offense to the men on the board.

[Now, NOT FOR ONE second do I condone Nannygirl's husband's actions. But your statement was wrong.

You may not have meant it that way, but that's how it sounded to me and others who have pm'd me on this issue.

Now, I am NOT looking for an argument, NOT trying to put you down, I am merely pointing out how your statement comes across. If I were married to someone who presumed I had to 'remember where I was coming from' or even insinuated that, I would be GONE.

I can see how one could be a bit bothered by the statement. My husband would tell you in a min, tho he was making 50-60$ a week working 6 days a week, he was happy and not in anyway suffering. I never thought or made any kind of indication that I was doing him a favor of any kind, by bringing him here. Some times he states he felt that he messed up his life by comming here and having to start all over, at least there he was established.

Ok I'm confused....if you have graduated from high school in Jamaica, you STILL need to get a GED in the States to work? My SO graduated high school and even did some college, will he still need a GED to get a decent job?

Goodness..lets hope not. I was surprised tho to learn about all the low paying jobs here that required a high school diploma or GED. :blink:

ENOUGH.......What has this thread become????........ It sure was not created three years ago to have people be nasty and rude to each other for spreading "their" experiences!!! We all come to this thread in different stages, different experiences, different lifestyles and we SHARE!!!

We certainly do not pick over peoples posts and make them personal......IF you are here for that than GO AWAY!!! This site has been a wonderful thing for many people.....me included. I NEVER dreamed that I would be experiecing some of the things that I have gone through and the words of wisdom from others have helped emensely.

Alien.....you have a different experience than all of us because we are mostly dealing with JA men...like Kelly said...your experiences are helpful to anyone who has a similar situation......PLEASE Stop the the attacks....we have lost too many veterans who started this post because new people come on here and ruin it...I left for many months because I was sick of some of the same stuff......

ALSO......we have no right to judge anyone. Telling Nanny that YOU would toss him on the street if it was YOU...HELLO??? And telling Kelly that Craig is here for opportunities.....Is all this necessary??? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Stop this NOW or LEAVE the yardies thread.....

Darlene......Stay around lady...we will clean up this thread and make it back to what it use dto be and what it was originally intende to be when Ms. Squito created it.....

Go head girl!!! :thumbs:

I have a question about the medical. so far we have gotten approval and a case number from NVC but nothing from kingston. I'm going down in JA in two weeks and would like him to do the medical while i'm there. Is the medical just blood testing and testing for immunizations?? Can he get the shots from his doctor and take them to the Medical. I'm asking because i belive i read that if he needs shots that he has to pay extra. and most important question if we don't get an interview date and I bring the letter from the NVC is that enough for them to see him or should he just wait until he gets the notice from the embassy?

Thanks!

You need the interview date to make the medical appointment. I remember it taking about two to three weeks to get from NVC to kingston., and another month or so to get the date.

TGIF !!!!!!!!!! The weather is supposed to be gorgeous here this weekend !!! Great soccer weather ;o) !!!

Have a great weekend. We are off the the skating rink, then to the drive-in, and maybe to a party later. I have to work this weekend. :angry: wait a min...I work every weekend :unsure::blink:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks to all for their kind support....we have decided to try and work out our things....i know he has said some really crapy things to me and has done some really crapy things...i think we can try to work past it....he should be getting his work permit soon God willing and i think a lot of the anger he has will go away because he will be busy and able to help provide...i know some might think i am crazy but i know he loves me deep down and i am just hoping for the best...

DARLENE....PLEASE DON'T GO...............

TGIF !!!!!!!!!! The weather is supposed to be gorgeous here this weekend !!! Great soccer weather ;o) !!!

Have a great weekend. We are off the the skating rink, then to the drive-in, and maybe to a party later. I have to work this weekend. :angry: wait a min...I work every weekend :unsure::blink:

ME 2..... :angry:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

NANNYGIRL..YOU GUYS WILL BE FINE..IT'S JUST U AND HIM AGAINST THE "WORLD", JUST TRY YOUR BEST AND THIS TOO SHALL PASS..IT WILL BE ALRIGHT...

BEST REGARDS

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.