Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

since we are discussing shots.........my fiance has no shot records..so should he go to his local doctor to get all the shots (i'm thinking it might be cheaper this way)...or wait til the medical and get them then? will the local doc know which ones he needs? any thoughts?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1331.html

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
since we are discussing shots.........my fiance has no shot records..so should he go to his local doctor to get all the shots (i'm thinking it might be cheaper this way)...or wait til the medical and get them then? will the local doc know which ones he needs? any thoughts?

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1331.html

AliienUKGirl

thanks for the link - that's a lot of shots he's going to need

Finesse

I'm thinking the same thing that it would be cheaper for him to go to his regular doctor

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

I feel like I have to comment. I don't think that AlienUKGirl has been attacking at all.

I think that some of the comments seem to come from the perspective that life in Jamaica is hard and horrible and that people there will do anything to come to the US. Interestingly, though, people seem to get upset when people in their real lives assume that their mate is marrying them for opportunity. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, life in Jamaica is difficult for people that are poor. But not everyone there is poor. Not everyone there is suffering from a lack of education and opportunity.

Life in the US is difficult for people that are poor and many people do not have education or opportunity.

There are many generalized statements that are made that are hurtful. If you refuse to see it or acknowledge it, fine. There are some people in this thread that are Jamaican and will be offended. And will comment on it.

I would advise that anyone that feels they are giving their mate an opportunity that they should be grateful for, examine your relationship, because it is most certainly not starting out on an equal footing. And then come the questions about why they feel like less of a man.

Just my two cents, if it's a problem, oh well.

Just starting the journey, haven't yet filed... Until today(2/12/07)!

K-1

2/12/07 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation

2/16/07 - VSC received package

2/22/07 - Check has been deposited, now I can track!

2/23/07 - NOA1 Received via snail mail

3/9/07 - NOA2 via email!

3/15/07 - NOA2 via snail mail

3/19/07 - Called NVC, case sent to embassy on 3/15/07

4/19/07 - DS230 submitted to embassy

4/30/07 - Email from embassy: Interview scheduled for 6/19/07!

5/30/07 - Medical

6/19/07 - Interview!!! - Approved!!!

7/6/07 - VISA delivered!!!

7/21/07 - Fiance arrives

AOS

11/30/07 - Mailed packet Priority w/signature

12/2/07 - Received in Chicago

12/7/07 - Check cashed

12/10/07 - Received 3 NOA1s via snail mail

12/27/07 - RFE - Tax returns

12/27/07 - RFE returned

1/3/08 - RFE received at Lee's Summit

1/8/08 - I-485 Receipt # shows up in case status

1/15/08 - Case transferred to CSC

1/30/08 - Email: EAD Card production ordered

2/1/08 - Email: AP approval

2/8/08 - EAD card received

4/4/08 - RFE for full medical

6/9/08 - RFE received at CSC (according to USPS)

6/16/08 - RFE received at CSC (according to USCIS)

6/19/08 - Card production ordered

6/24/08 - Approval email & Welcome letter in mail

6/26/08 - Card arrives in the mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Question??

While the men are waiting for AOS, can't they get into a training program or something. To keep them busy. I've already found three programs for him to do while he gets his AOS. One being his GED, which I found out last night he can get for free. He wanted to try and find a job right a way but I told him no, it's better to get that piece of paper first.

Now I'm not talking about two and three year programs. If every thing goes well, he'll be up here while i'm on maternity leave so we will have some stay at home time together.

Your posts have been very helpful. Just from reading your posts, have helped me talk about certain subjects with him in regards to when he comes here. As to him being/feeling independent. he has an independant income in JA that can help him when he comes as to paying for one of his training programs and bringing money to help out. So I hope it works out because of course he feels no need to rush about anything

I am kind of getting worried now, I went to school in Jamaica, and even though I have 10 years law enforcement experience, I am wondering if they accept CXC (Caribbean Examinations Council) passes as equivalent to GED??

I also finished a year in university but didn't finish my degree.....

Would be interested to hear if anyone's spouse's Jamaican qualification was accepted?

My brother-in-law in JA was a dectective at the Ocho Rios Police Dept. When he came here he took classes and obtained his Pharmacy Technican certificate w/o going for add'l GED classes. He was accepted w/his CSC cert. He nows works at Caremark Rx (PBM) as a Benefit Administrator and makes good money. He is also an Assistant Manager at Kinko's (he worked himself up). I think it just depends on the individual.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I feel like I have to comment. I don't think that AlienUKGirl has been attacking at all.

I think that some of the comments seem to come from the perspective that life in Jamaica is hard and horrible and that people there will do anything to come to the US. Interestingly, though, people seem to get upset when people in their real lives assume that their mate is marrying them for opportunity. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, life in Jamaica is difficult for people that are poor. But not everyone there is poor. Not everyone there is suffering from a lack of education and opportunity.

Life in the US is difficult for people that are poor and many people do not have education or opportunity.

There are many generalized statements that are made that are hurtful. If you refuse to see it or acknowledge it, fine. There are some people in this thread that are Jamaican and will be offended. And will comment on it.

I would advise that anyone that feels they are giving their mate an opportunity that they should be grateful for, examine your relationship, because it is most certainly not starting out on an equal footing. And then come the questions about why they feel like less of a man.

:thumbs: I agree. Well said.

Timeline
Question??

While the men are waiting for AOS, can't they get into a training program or something. To keep them busy. I've already found three programs for him to do while he gets his AOS. One being his GED, which I found out last night he can get for free. He wanted to try and find a job right a way but I told him no, it's better to get that piece of paper first.

Now I'm not talking about two and three year programs. If every thing goes well, he'll be up here while i'm on maternity leave so we will have some stay at home time together.

Your posts have been very helpful. Just from reading your posts, have helped me talk about certain subjects with him in regards to when he comes here. As to him being/feeling independent. he has an independant income in JA that can help him when he comes as to paying for one of his training programs and bringing money to help out. So I hope it works out because of course he feels no need to rush about anything

I am kind of getting worried now, I went to school in Jamaica, and even though I have 10 years law enforcement experience, I am wondering if they accept CXC (Caribbean Examinations Council) passes as equivalent to GED??

I also finished a year in university but didn't finish my degree.....

Would be interested to hear if anyone's spouse's Jamaican qualification was accepted?

My brother-in-law in JA was a dectective at the Ocho Rios Police Dept. When he came here he took classes and obtained his Pharmacy Technican certificate w/o going for add'l GED classes. He was accepted w/his CSC cert. He nows works at Caremark Rx (PBM) as a Benefit Administrator and makes good money. He is also an Assistant Manager at Kinko's (he worked himself up). I think it just depends on the individual.

It might depend on the job requirements my cousin and I spoke about his with reqards to my husband getting a job with transit and she said the ged is now a requirement, where before it didn't used to be, she said transit wouldn't take his diploma from JA. She didn't need a GED when she started there, transit took her overseas diploma but that was 10 years ago

:thumbs: :thumbs:

I could not have said it better

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones, cannot imagine having to take the time out to go back to school right now!

It might depend on the job requirements my cousin and I spoke about his with reqards to my husband getting a job with transit and she said the ged is now a requirement, where before it didn't used to be, she said transit wouldn't take his diploma from JA. She didn't need a GED when she started there, transit took her overseas diploma but that was 10 years ago

Damn, just hope jobs I want don't require a GED :(

Do you know how long it takes to get one??

Ie, are there a minimum number of classes??

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Timeline

I hope I'm one of the lucky ones, cannot imagine having to take the time out to go back to school right now!

The person I spoke to said she was given a test to assess how much she knows and from there she took a month of class that was 3hrs a day.

Timeline
I have a question about the medical. so far we have gotten approval and a case number from NVC but nothing from kingston. I'm going down in JA in two weeks and would like him to do the medical while i'm there. Is the medical just blood testing and testing for immunizations?? Can he get the shots from his doctor and take them to the Medical. I'm asking because i belive i read that if he needs shots that he has to pay extra. and most important question if we don't get an interview date and I bring the letter from the NVC is that enough for them to see him or should he just wait until he gets the notice from the embassy?

Thanks!

He will need the interview letter in order to make the appointment for the medical.

Actually he will need the interview date to make the medial appointment BUT will need the actual interview letter to attend the medical.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
The person I spoke to said she was given a test to assess how much she knows and from there she took a month of class that was 3hrs a day.

When I was in HS I wasn't doing well and my parents were going through a bitter/angry divorce and I was stuck raising my sibs...so I dropped out and got my GED, about 6 years ago. I took a placement test to see what areas I needed to work on and passed them all with flying colors so the next day I took the "real" test and passed in the top 3% of the nation and had my GED that same day. Whole thing took me 2 days. If you can pass the test then you don't have to take the classes...the classes are there for you to get up to par so that you are able to pass every section.

Edited by Jme3584

Timeline
ENOUGH.......What has this thread become????........ It sure was not created three years ago to have people be nasty and rude to each other for spreading "their" experiences!!! We all come to this thread in different stages, different experiences, different lifestyles and we SHARE!!!

We certainly do not pick over peoples posts and make them personal......IF you are here for that than GO AWAY!!! This site has been a wonderful thing for many people.....me included. I NEVER dreamed that I would be experiecing some of the things that I have gone through and the words of wisdom from others have helped emensely.

Alien.....you have a different experience than all of us because we are mostly dealing with JA men...like Kelly said...your experiences are helpful to anyone who has a similar situation......PLEASE Stop the the attacks....we have lost too many veterans who started this post because new people come on here and ruin it...I left for many months because I was sick of some of the same stuff......

ALSO......we have no right to judge anyone. Telling Nanny that YOU would toss him on the street if it was YOU...HELLO??? And telling Kelly that Craig is here for opportunities.....Is all this necessary??? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Stop this NOW or LEAVE the yardies thread.....

Darlene......Stay around lady...we will clean up this thread and make it back to what it use dto be and what it was originally intende to be when Ms. Squito created it.....

THANK YOU KIM !!!! Eh, I do feel I am being somewhat "attacked", but it rolls off my back because for one, she's not a MAN and for 2, she hasn't come here yet and "experienced" the US !!!!

When I read back what was written ....yep, does say OBVIOUSLY Craig .....opportunities....

"I" TRULY do not think that you would JUST kick your man out onto the street for some STUPID ####### they are doing, PART OF THIS STUPID thoughtless ####### IS part of THEIR ADJUSTMENT !!! Mike, Craig and whoever else that is HERE for LOVE WILL GET IT !!!!!!!!!! It just takes awhile and yes patience is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE part of the adjustment "phase" !!!!

If I had a penny for EVERYTIME my son did something "wrong" or "not right", made a "bad decision/choice"............shoot, HE would have been gone a long time ago, right??? We do NOT give up on the ones we love just that easy. Relationships, marriage and/or a COMMITTED relationship takes ALOT of work. For us that are "older"...and have more LIFE experience, "WE" DO have ALOT of patience !!!!!

So, everyone have a nice weekend. I MISS the heck out of our veterans....

Timeline

His day job required a HS diploma...he stated he graduated and that was that. They never asked for anything more. I just think it depends on the situation and how thoroughly they do the background check. Plus talking to him you will never know he was from JA. He has no accent whatsoever UNLESS he wants to talk Patois to you. He's been like that from JA.

You can take the test if you feel your are ready if not you can always take a refresher course.

Edited by nyseness

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
I have a question about the medical. so far we have gotten approval and a case number from NVC but nothing from kingston. I'm going down in JA in two weeks and would like him to do the medical while i'm there. Is the medical just blood testing and testing for immunizations?? Can he get the shots from his doctor and take them to the Medical. I'm asking because i belive i read that if he needs shots that he has to pay extra. and most important question if we don't get an interview date and I bring the letter from the NVC is that enough for them to see him or should he just wait until he gets the notice from the embassy?

Thanks!

He will need the interview letter in order to make the appointment for the medical.

YOU CAN ACTUALLY MAKE THE APPOINTMENT WITHOUT THE LETTER SINCE YOU WILL BE CALLING TO MAKE THE APPOINTMENT..I MADE AN APPOINTMENT FOR MY HUSBAND W/O ANYTHING JUST THE DATE OF THE INTERVIEW.

TALKING OF INTERVIEWS I ASKED FOR A RESCHEDULE AND THEY TOLD ME I WILL RECEIVE A NEW DATE IN THE MAIL..IS THAT A GOOD THING OR TERRIBLE THING ..U THINK ? SOUNDS LIKE ANOTHER WAITING...

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
hey this is a suggestion....have any of who are having some marriagee problems ever thought about letting one man speak to another like maybe the guy who was felling messed up in the beginning with adjusting can speak to the one who is struggling now.

Craig and Mike (Shauna's man) .....TALK..... and yesterday Craig was way ticked and called Mike and had a SERIOUS heart to heart with him....but Mike had to hear from a guy who has been here (6 months longer than him), who has "been there, done that". Now it may just be a "quick fix", but .....it was someone that he could lean on.

For the newbies..........I truly do feel that if there is a Jamaican man (of course a positive influence) here, that has been here for a little bit or better yet, has gone through the process already that your man could "lean on" when he gets here, would help tremendously !!! Just think 'bout it ....

I think thats a good idea, to have someone your SO can relate to when coming to the States. This has to be a cuture shock for them and being around the "familiar faces" is sure to help in some sort of way. This also brings up the fact that these Black men are coming from a country where their race is the majority. They never knew what it felt like to be the minority in their country, or hometown, or HOUSE for that matter. That can drive anyone crazy, trust me. Do some of your guys live in a neighborhood or city, where there are not many Black faces? Not much Black culture? That makes a HUGE difference. Its not a racist thing its just a comfort level. I grew up in a city that was 80% Black. There were cultural events catered to my race, people looked like me, talked like me, and I was made to feel of a higher self worth by just having the support and understanding of my people. When I went to college......BAM culture shock! The Black race was about %15-20. It was extremely hard to relate and fit in. People joked about my "accent", asked stupid questions about my hair, I couldnt find Black hair care products, not many Black churches, no old school music,hip hop or R&B to listen to on the radio, I was the only Black person in my major classes for the next 5 years! It was VERY lonely! This country is HUGE on race. Its in our face all the time. So you have to know when coming to America, race plays a big part on who you are. This isnt an issue in Jamaica. I'm am sure everyone, no matter what your race is can relate to this, if you ever were placed in a situation where you are no longer the majority.

I have heard some White people say how hard it was for them to first go to Jamaica, because they knew they would be the minority, or I have had White friend not want to go to certain clubs with me because they would be a minority. I'm sure these situations conjuer up anxiety of the unknown, and unfamiliar. The only thing is that many of those White people don't realize that Blacks and many other races do it EVERY DAY! Now think about this Jamaican man, who has to be the ONLY one, the MINORITY, coming from a place where Black faces own businesses, teach classrooms, are on the face of money. I think this is an issue that can cause depression, homesickness, resentment to the one who he lives with, etc. etc.

So as far as giving your SO a support group, maybe we need to look at a bigger and wider type of support that may be needed. (L)

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.