Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I am so sorry things are not working out. What the heck is wrong with these men??? How quickly they forget where they come from! I am here for you....

Could you clarify this??

:unsure: I was wondering the same thing....

Okay, America is the land of opportunity. You can come here and make a decent wage and not worry about where you next meal is coming from. You do not have to work 6 days a week for $60. You have an opportunity to continue your education if you so choose and get a better job. There is so much more offered here. And the fact of everything that had to be done to get them here. And the cost.....

It is not a derogatory remark.

I do envy Jamaicans for their sense of family and respect. Something that is lacking here.

Just like someone who came from nothing, makes a zillion dollars and forgets where it all began.

WE ARE DONE!!!

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:yes: Hey Everyone,

I have decided to delete my VJ account today due to some issues from another thread. I strongly believe that some people on this site are very disrespectful and take pleasure in making others feel stupid. This is supposed to be an informational site and no one should feel stupid or be-littled (sp?) in any way. It really upsets me the way posts are being replied to and even when I first joined VJ, I was a little shocked at the way my posts were being answered. I don't like being disrespected, nor do I like to watch others being disrespected. I clearly indicated this in the thread "Do You Treat People The Same As Online" (Off Topic Form) and apparently someone took my comments as well as others as threatening.

Don't go miss Jones hang around, this website has so much info to offer. Just stick to the yardie thread. We are very supportive of each other here. Not everyone is going to agree ALL the time but we do respect each other.

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning Yardie Family Happy Friday!!!

Jax we're waiting on the good news!!

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

I am so sorry things are not working out. What the heck is wrong with these men??? How quickly they forget where they come from! I am here for you....

Could you clarify this??

Okay, America is the land of opportunity. You can come here and make a decent wage and not worry about where you next meal is coming from. You do not have to work 6 days a week for $60. You have an opportunity to continue your education if you so choose and get a better job. There is so much more offered here. And the fact of everything that had to be done to get them here. And the cost.....

I do envy Jamaicans for their sense of family and respect. Something that is lacking here.

Just like someone who came from nothing, makes a zillion dollars and forgets where it all began.

America is the land of opportunity for SOME. Opportunity to get a degree, have a good job, continue education is also available for SOME in Jamaica. TO YOU 'so much more is offered here'. TO ME, and to some people from Jamaica, America does NOT offer more!!

'More' is subjective according to what you were used to in Jamaica.

To me, that statement sounds like 'he should be eternally grateful that some woman plucked him out of poverty, not knowing where his next meal was coming from, working six days a week, to live in the Promised Land'.

Now, NOT FOR ONE second do I condone Nannygirl's husband's actions. But your statement was wrong.

You may not have meant it that way, but that's how it sounded to me and others who have pm'd me on this issue.

Now, I am NOT looking for an argument, NOT trying to put you down, I am merely pointing out how your statement comes across. If I were married to someone who presumed I had to 'remember where I was coming from' or even insinuated that, I would be GONE.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Timeline

hey this is a suggestion....have any of who are having some marriagee problems ever thought about letting one man speak to another like maybe the guy who was felling messed up in the beginning with adjusting can speak to the one who is struggling now.

Been there, done that WAAAAAY to many times!!! I have a male Jamaican friend (who is 10 yrs older than Craig) that I've known from Negril for 10yrs that lives here in Maryland (12 miles from us) and Craig "knew" of him before he came here ...from the guys on the beach in Negril. Mophead (my friend) has spoken to Craig a TON of times and the "talks" worked for a couple of days and then Craig would go back to his BS because he spoke to his cousin or friends (in Jamaica) !!!

Craig and Mike (Shauna's man) .....TALK..... and yesterday Craig was way ticked and called Mike and had a SERIOUS heart to heart with him....but Mike had to hear from a guy who has been here (6 months longer than him), who has "been there, done that". Now it may just be a "quick fix", but .....it was someone that he could lean on.

For the newbies..........I truly do feel that if there is a Jamaican man (of course a positive influence) here, that has been here for a little bit or better yet, has gone through the process already that your man could "lean on" when he gets here, would help tremendously !!! Just think 'bout it ....

TGIF !!!!!!!!!! The weather is supposed to be gorgeous here this weekend !!! Great soccer weather ;o) !!!

Timeline

America is the land of opportunity for SOME. Opportunity to get a degree, have a good job, continue education is also available for SOME in Jamaica. TO YOU 'so much more is offered here'. TO ME, and to some people from Jamaica, America does NOT offer more!!

To me, that statement sounds like 'he should be eternally grateful that some woman plucked him out of poverty, not knowing where his next meal was coming from, working six days a week, to live in the Promised Land'.

Now, NOT FOR ONE second do I condone Nannygirl's husband's actions. But your statement was wrong.

You may not have meant it that way, but that's how it sounded to me and others who have pm'd me on this issue.

Now, I am NOT looking for an argument, NOT trying to put you down, I am merely pointing out how your statement comes across. If I were married to someone who presumed I had to 'remember where I was coming from' or even insinuated that, I would be GONE.

Now easy girlfriend....

When we went to the Jamaican little restaurant there, I was chatting with the Jamaican girl taking our order. We talked about Jamaica, where she's from (didn't think Craig was Jamaican until she asked where we were both from), we talked about travel and she asked me for a business card, than SHE SAID, it's so nice and I love it when women go to Jamaica on vacation and bring back a man to HELP HIM !!! I said, oh this isn't 'bout helping him, we truly love each other. She said to Craig, you better treat your woman with TOTAL respect, do not get caught up in the AMERICAN ways and it seems like you met a great gal here!!

When we got in the car, I laughed and said, that's just funny how they (the folks that "I" have come in contact with) think that WE bring you guys here JUST to help you !!! Craig's mom thanks me ALL of the time for HELPING HIM to come here. I sometimes get annoyed by that, but ....she doesn't "get it" since she's never been here. From MY own personal experience, they **think** we are helping to bring them here *just* to help them. I told Craig, yeah, in a way I did help him and I'm happy that he gets to live in a place he really likes AND has more opportunities. Craig LOVES it here and would NEVER move back !! He said he wants to go **JUST** to go on vacation.

Now easy girlfriend....

When we went to the Jamaican little restaurant there, I was chatting with the Jamaican girl taking our order. We talked about Jamaica, where she's from (didn't think Craig was Jamaican until she asked where we were both from), we talked about travel and she asked me for a business card, than SHE SAID, it's so nice and I love it when women go to Jamaica on vacation and bring back a man to HELP HIM !!! I said, oh this isn't 'bout helping him, we truly love each other. She said to Craig, you better treat your woman with TOTAL respect, do not get caught up in the AMERICAN ways and it seems like you met a great gal here!!

When we got in the car, I laughed and said, that's just funny how they (the folks that "I" have come in contact with) think that WE bring you guys here JUST to help you !!! Craig's mom thanks me ALL of the time for HELPING HIM to come here. I sometimes get annoyed by that, but ....she doesn't "get it" since she's never been here. From MY own personal experience, they **think** we are helping to bring them here *just* to help them. I told Craig, yeah, in a way I did help him and I'm happy that he gets to live in a place he really likes AND has more opportunities. Craig LOVES it here and would NEVER move back !! He said he wants to go **JUST** to go on vacation.

Obviously for CRAIG, America is the land of opportunity!!

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Question??

While the men are waiting for AOS, can't they get into a training program or something. To keep them busy. I've already found three programs for him to do while he gets his AOS. One being his GED, which I found out last night he can get for free. He wanted to try and find a job right a way but I told him no, it's better to get that piece of paper first.

Now I'm not talking about two and three year programs. If every thing goes well, he'll be up here while i'm on maternity leave so we will have some stay at home time together.

Your posts have been very helpful. Just from reading your posts, have helped me talk about certain subjects with him in regards to when he comes here. As to him being/feeling independent. he has an independant income in JA that can help him when he comes as to paying for one of his training programs and bringing money to help out. So I hope it works out because of course he feels no need to rush about anything

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Question??

While the men are waiting for AOS, can't they get into a training program or something. To keep them busy. I've already found three programs for him to do while he gets his AOS. One being his GED, which I found out last night he can get for free. He wanted to try and find a job right a way but I told him no, it's better to get that piece of paper first.

Now I'm not talking about two and three year programs. If every thing goes well, he'll be up here while i'm on maternity leave so we will have some stay at home time together.

Your posts have been very helpful. Just from reading your posts, have helped me talk about certain subjects with him in regards to when he comes here. As to him being/feeling independent. he has an independant income in JA that can help him when he comes as to paying for one of his training programs and bringing money to help out. So I hope it works out because of course he feels no need to rush about anything

That sounds like a great idea. Someone in a thread down below mentioned ESL classes and I thought it wasn't necessary because they are English speakers, but that might actually be good for them.

Just starting the journey, haven't yet filed... Until today(2/12/07)!

K-1

2/12/07 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation

2/16/07 - VSC received package

2/22/07 - Check has been deposited, now I can track!

2/23/07 - NOA1 Received via snail mail

3/9/07 - NOA2 via email!

3/15/07 - NOA2 via snail mail

3/19/07 - Called NVC, case sent to embassy on 3/15/07

4/19/07 - DS230 submitted to embassy

4/30/07 - Email from embassy: Interview scheduled for 6/19/07!

5/30/07 - Medical

6/19/07 - Interview!!! - Approved!!!

7/6/07 - VISA delivered!!!

7/21/07 - Fiance arrives

AOS

11/30/07 - Mailed packet Priority w/signature

12/2/07 - Received in Chicago

12/7/07 - Check cashed

12/10/07 - Received 3 NOA1s via snail mail

12/27/07 - RFE - Tax returns

12/27/07 - RFE returned

1/3/08 - RFE received at Lee's Summit

1/8/08 - I-485 Receipt # shows up in case status

1/15/08 - Case transferred to CSC

1/30/08 - Email: EAD Card production ordered

2/1/08 - Email: AP approval

2/8/08 - EAD card received

4/4/08 - RFE for full medical

6/9/08 - RFE received at CSC (according to USPS)

6/16/08 - RFE received at CSC (according to USCIS)

6/19/08 - Card production ordered

6/24/08 - Approval email & Welcome letter in mail

6/26/08 - Card arrives in the mail

Question??

I am kind of getting worried now, I went to school in Jamaica, and even though I have 10 years law enforcement experience, I am wondering if they accept CXC (Caribbean Examinations Council) passes as equivalent to GED??

I also finished a year in university but didn't finish my degree.....

Would be interested to hear if anyone's spouse's Jamaican qualification was accepted?

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Could you clarify this??

If you struggled most of your life and then had the opportunity to better yourself and get things more easily would you forget your struggles? My life was far from perfect but I did not forget about that and I do not forget the people who helped me turn things around.

Yes I know several Jamaicans who want nothing to do with America. I also know several who are here or are trying to get here. Just like there are Americans who who not leave here. And no it was not meant to be read as you in YOUR opinion stated that they should be eternally grateful to be plucked out of poverty. It is just they should not forget how it was and how it now is.

It is nice to have the name brand sneakers and jeans.

Maybe you have a lot of money and these expenses and the ones to come will not affect you life but it has for most of us or excuse me, I will speak for myself.

I have to say I have been extremely lucky. My husband has been on his own since he was 20. He knew there was no way he would be able to get his own home in Jamaica if he stayed there so for the last 14 years he has worked on most Norwegian Cruise Line. 9 to 10 month contracts, working 7 days a week, minimum 10 hours a day for, (when he left last year,) making $900 a month. That is almost 4 times as much as he would make in Jamaica and yes, he was able to purchase his land and pay for it in full. He was able to help his sister with university. He helped his mom and dad. He took advantage of an opportunity but he got burned out.

Now he is here. He is thankful for this opportunity. He is making $1800 a month and working about 80 hours less per week. He will be sending money home and having his house built. He will be able to have it built and furnished and paid in full when we are ready to go home to Jamaica.

Would he have this opportunity in Jamaica? Probably but he would not have a 4 bedroom, 4 bath home with a pool. Could he have done staying on the cruise ship? Probably but would he have been physically able to enjoy it? Probably not.

He realizes all that was done for him and he is eternally grateful.

All I was trying to say is that people forget where they came from and expect more. And they forget the people who helped them get there.

Aren't you the one who totally trashed Jamaican men???? And if you are Jamaican why are you living in the UK? And why are you moving to the US???

Thank you Yardies for all your help with my process. It is over now for a couple of years and so I will sign off this site.

Good luck to everyone.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Timeline
Question??

I am kind of getting worried now, I went to school in Jamaica, and even though I have 10 years law enforcement experience, I am wondering if they accept CXC (Caribbean Examinations Council) passes as equivalent to GED??

I also finished a year in university but didn't finish my degree.....

Would be interested to hear if anyone's spouse's Jamaican qualification was accepted?

My cousin works for ny transit and she suggested he get his ged because they dont't accept other qualifications. and I actually spoke to someone last night who took the ged class and she said it was a big help, because she had applied to college before and she finished high school in barbados and she didn't get thru she said she applied again after she got her ged and she had no problem. I'm assuming a ged combined with a high school degree from the west indies got her in.

Timeline

Darlene,

Not for nothing, but I think life anywhere is what u make it. My husband stayed in JA and has his two family house and taxi. $1800.00 a month isn't that great when u look at salaries in the USA. yes compared to JA it is very good but maybe the cost of living is lower where u live.

just my two cents

All I was trying to say is that people forget where they came from and expect more. And they forget the people who helped them get there.

Aren't you the one who totally trashed Jamaican men???? And if you are Jamaican why are you living in the UK? And why are you moving to the US???

Thank you Yardies for all your help with my process. It is over now for a couple of years and so I will sign off this site.

Good luck to everyone.

I see.

I suggest you get your facts straight before you accuse me of 'trashing' Jamaican men.

Actually, I am English.

Suprisingly enough I am moving to the US for LOVE ;)

My cousin works for ny transit and she suggested he get his ged because they dont't accept other qualifications. and I actually spoke to someone last night who took the ged class and she said it was a big help, because she had applied to college before and she finished high school in barbados and she didn't get thru she said she applied again after she got her ged and she had no problem. I'm assuming a ged combined with a high school degree from the west indies got her in.

Wow, yet ANOTHER thing I'll have to get!!!

Thanks for the info!!

Edited by AlienUKGirl

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

Timeline

Good luck to everyone.

I see.

I suggest you get your facts straight before you accuse me of 'trashing' Jamaican men.

Actually, I am English.

Suprisingly enough I am moving to the US for LOVE ;)

Wow, yet ANOTHER thing I'll have to get!!!

Thanks for the info!!

I'm not sure if you will need it coming from england. I'm from england and I don't recall any of my relatives having problems when applying to jobs.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.