Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
And whether or not our husbands are here or not means absolutely nothing to the matter in which we handle our relationships.

:whistle: You are in for so many surprises when the time comes. You have no idea......

Not neccessarily. Everybody's experience is different. Although it appears the norm is a lot of struggle with him adapting to the different culture, some people do not experience it at all. I KNOW for a fact a few people that didn't have ONE day of the relationship changing when the Jamaican man got here.

I pray that Marlita is one of those.

One of my favorite sayings is "Expect the worst, but HOPE for the best". I think the more prepared you are for what might happen and the big adjustments that must be made, the better you will handle the situation. And yes, every relationship is different. It also seeme easier for those who did the K3 or Cr1 because their husbands could work right away. That's one of the most difficult things for some men - sitting at home doing nothing for months on end!

Yes this route was the best for us. Hubby only sat around for 2 months. Then he started school and found a part time job. He got his drivers licenses in a month and 1/2 and had his freedom. Like Rhonda said there are positive stories. We are going strong and excited for our child to come along. I think one thing that helped is that we have a wonderful neighbor who lived in Jamaica for a year and moved over here on a visa from West Africa. Please don't forget their are a lot of happy endings. Your relationship will change some when he arrives. A lot of new things and adjustments of living together. The vets have heard Kelly's stories forever. If it is not I would get out but I wish you the best on your life decision. Every one lives their lives and relationships and I feel that is none of my business to speak about. My father taught me mind your own business and that everyone is different on how they lead their lives. I wish everyone the best when there husband or SO gets here. This board helped me with understanding the adjustment. Enough said. ;)(L)(F):luv:

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So mr jengles told me that he didn't have to take a road test to get his license in JA. I was in disbelief (even though it would explain so much) . He said all he had to do was take a reading and vision test. So they want JA drivers to be able to read where they going and see where they going...but could care less if their able to stay on the road. He said most people get a "few lessons" AFTER they get their license if they know someone with a car...

Okay??!!! :blink: ...I learned to drive in Jamaica and when I got my license (maybe it's different in the Corporate area than country), but I had to do the written test, reading, vision, yard and road test. Loved the yard test - hill start, parallel parking and reversing in a S. When I went for my license first (I was 17), they failed me because I didn't stay in my lane on a road that is as wide enough fi ongle 1 car pass (this was in Spanish Town). I couldn't even go to school I was crying so much. Rush home and call Daddy.

FYI - nuff people buy license a JA.

Edited by JA Tam

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
**Newby-wed list and all is good so far*

Sarah & Marlon 10/13/2007

Kimmy&Kashi...strong strong

***I may be a newbie to the thread, but...

Tam & Aaron - 4 years (less a month and a week) and going strong :dance::dance:

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am interested in seeing this book because patois changes everyday with new words/sayings that people use for a short period of time until something new comes along (i bet you next year you won't be hearing frass, sell off, or tek weh yuhself as much as you do now). The way my parents speak is not the way my husband speaks and sometimes they can't even understand him. I believe one has to immerse themselves in the culture to stay up on the dialect which is phonetically written so there is no standard. you spell it how it sounds to you for the most part. i personally listen to dancehall to stay on point.

I view patois as a dialect not an official written language to be found in textbooks like what the powers that be have deemed romance languages.

Meaning of dialect:

A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary, especially a variety of speech differing from the standard literary language or speech pattern of the culture in which it exists: Cockney is a dialect of English.

A variety of language that with other varieties constitutes a single language of which no single variety is standard: the dialects of Ancient Greek.

The language peculiar to the members of a group, especially in an occupation; jargon: the dialect of science.

The manner or style of expressing oneself in language or the arts.

A language considered as part of a larger family of languages or a linguistic branch. Not in scientific use: Spanish and French are Romance dialects.

That being said like all other dialects patois should be respected and valid regardless of whether or not it is used in school or written in books or posted on threads. It encompasses a people, a history and culture that delves into the very definition of who they are, where they come from, what they have been through and how they relate

Ebonics which includes african-american dialects, patios, creole, etc derives from the nigerian/congo language/region, primarily a spoken language which does not use certain letters like r and h hence you will see people say sista instead of sister or im instead of him. These are languages that have been in existence long before any european languages and deserve respect and recognition. I find it insulting when anyone (jamaicans included) associate ebonics to being ignorant or unofficial because not found in books (in my mind that just because these dialects are black) and while important to know the Queen's English because there is a time and a place for everything, I do not condone conforming to it if that's not your natural way of speaking in an informal setting (like the yardie thread which in title itself is patois) or else when do you get to be yourself, too many americans go places and expect people to speak english instead of learning the language so i say learn patience and embrace how jamaicans speak in writing as you would if they were talking to you in person or would you not allow that if this was a phone thread?

i personally hate when jamaicans put on a twang to speak to me i find it fake and part trickery.

Oh here is the book name. I found it. Understanding Jamaican Patois: An Introduction to Afro-Jamaican Grammar

03-31-06 Filed K-1 papers

04-13-06 received NOA 1

09-24-06 k-1 approved, yeah!

10-02-06 NVC letter received/Papers sent to Kingston/Interview packet sent to fiance

10-24-06 Interview packet returned to Kingston by postal service/Had to request them to resend

10-31-06 Received resent packetand immediately sent DS-230 Part I so he could get interview date

01-09-07 Received appointment letter, two days before interview! (JA mail sucks)

01-11-07 Couldn't get us down, made it to the interview anyway, half prepared, given a letter to return

04-17-07 Finally given another interview date after 2 months of emailing/begging, visa approved, yeah!

05-03-07 Got K-1 Visa in hand (was only suppose to take 4-5 days for delivery,actually took 12)

05-11-07 Imagine girl running down beach towards guy to welcome him into her arms with a

passionate kiss, only it's the airport. He's arrives on Friday!

06-21-07 Our wedding date! It's a civil ceremony, but I'm excited nonetheless

07-12-07 Mailed AOS application/form (wish me luck)

07-25-07 Checks cashed by DHS

07-28-07 Received NOA 1

08-23-07 Biometrics Appt (have to reschedule out of town)

08-31-07 Rescheduled Biometrics

09-25-07 Received EAD

09-25-07 Received AP

09-25-07 Received NOA 2

11-19-07 Appointment for Initial Interview for AOS

11-19-07 Conditional Green Card Approved!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Tricia B @ Nov 8 2007, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am interested in seeing this book because patois changes everyday with new words/sayings that people use for a short period of time until something new comes along (i bet you next year you won't be hearing frass, sell off, or tek weh yuhself as much as you do now). The way my parents speak is not the way my husband speaks and sometimes they can't even understand him. I believe one has to immerse themselves in the culture to stay up on the dialect which is phonetically written so there is no standard. you spell it how it sounds to you for the most part. i personally listen to dancehall to stay on point.

I view patois as a dialect not an official written language to be found in textbooks like what the powers that be have deemed romance languages.

Meaning of dialect:

A regional or social variety of a language distinguished by pronunciation, grammar, or vocabulary, especially a variety of speech differing from the standard literary language or speech pattern of the culture in which it exists: Cockney is a dialect of English.

A variety of language that with other varieties constitutes a single language of which no single variety is standard: the dialects of Ancient Greek.

The language peculiar to the members of a group, especially in an occupation; jargon: the dialect of science.

The manner or style of expressing oneself in language or the arts.

A language considered as part of a larger family of languages or a linguistic branch. Not in scientific use: Spanish and French are Romance dialects.

That being said like all other dialects patois should be respected and valid regardless of whether or not it is used in school or written in books or posted on threads. It encompasses a people, a history and culture that delves into the very definition of who they are, where they come from, what they have been through and how they relate

Ebonics which includes african-american dialects, patios, creole, etc derives from the nigerian/congo language/region, primarily a spoken language which does not use certain letters like r and h hence you will see people say sista instead of sister or im instead of him. These are languages that have been in existence long before any european languages and deserve respect and recognition. I find it insulting when anyone (jamaicans included) associate ebonics to being ignorant or unofficial because not found in books (in my mind that just because these dialects are black) and while important to know the Queen's English because there is a time and a place for everything, I do not condone conforming to it if that's not your natural way of speaking in an informal setting (like the yardie thread which in title itself is patois) or else when do you get to be yourself, too many americans go places and expect people to speak english instead of learning the language so i say learn patience and embrace how jamaicans speak in writing as you would if they were talking to you in person or would you not allow that if this was a phone thread?

i personally hate when jamaicans put on a twang to speak to me i find it fake and part trickery.

Oh here is the book name. I found it. Understanding Jamaican Patois: An Introduction to Afro-Jamaican Grammar

*skankin* :dance::dance:

Boooyahkah...booyahkah! Brap! Brap! Wheel and come agen! PULLLLLLL UPPPP!!! Bullet! Bullet!!!

Yep, what you said. :yes::yes:

0insijou.png

According to God's favor...Happily married on 09~09~09

See "Our Story" for K-1 timeline

~AOS Timeline~

Nov 28, 2009 ~~ Mailed off Packet

Dec 01, 2009 ~~ Delivered to Chicago Lockbox and signed for by "L. Box"

Dec 07, 2009 ~~ Check Cashed!

Dec 12, 2009 ~~ All 3 NOA1s received in the mail (dated 12/7/09)

Dec 17, 2009 ~~ InfoPass appointment (Emergency AP granted)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ Biometric Letter arrived (dated 12/15/09)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ RFE for I-693 (dated 12/22/09)

Jan 11, 2010 ~~ Completed Biometrics

Jan 14, 2010 ~~ Sent I-693 in sealed envelope via US Priority Mail

Jan 19, 2010 ~~ Reply to RFE delivered to Lee's Summit, MO @ 5:03 PM signed for by "C BUCHHOLZ"

Jan 20, 2010 ~~ USCIS acknowledged receipt of RFE on I-485 only

Jan 22, 2010 ~~ I-131 AP and I-765 EAD approved (email notice on 1/25/10)

Jan 28, 2010 ~~ USCIS email that I-485 was transferred to CSC on 1/26/10

Jan 30, 2010 ~~ Received EAD and AP via US Postal Service

Feb 01, 2010 ~~ Received notification of case transfer via USPS

May 07, 2010 ~~ Email notification that card production ordered for 1-485

Jun 01, 2010 ~~ Greencard finally arrives w/approval date 2/23/10 (Huh??)

Done until November 25, 2011!!!

Filed: Other Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Tricia B @ Nov 6 2007, 10:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fi Real, nannygirl, sorry to hear that but at least rest assured that you will get something beautiful and great out of all this in a few months.

well this has been a hard couple of days for me....i have talked on pm to some about this....but sadly mike and i will be parting ways....i have come to the desicion that he is not the right person for me and will NEVER change....i really did change when he got here....but didn't start going downhill until we got married....this has been so hard to deal with and decide what i need to do....saftey is the first issue and mike has a horrible temper....and i had to call the police on him sunday night....not going into any real details but they police were called...no arrest was made because nothing physical happend to me or our dog....i says he wants another chance....but really how many chances does one person derserve???? he has made me promises about change and nothing has only has gotten worse.....i am not sure if we will divorce but we do need time away from each other as a couple....i think we are better friends then as a married couple.....i will still be checking in and see how everyone is doing......

I am sorry to hear of all this going on, especially while you're pregnant. Take this time to focus on you and your baby.

Ditto...Focus on you and the baby for a while, you are both young and honestly, your husband has a lot of growing to do. :blush:

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

:lol::lol::lol: Jawi, yu too bad! Some of the derogatory comments on here about Jamaica and Jamaicans have gotten to me as well. If you know people who are like that, please keep it to them, but some of the generalizations have been too much, especially considering that they have fallen in love with and married Jamaicans. I am proud of my country, despite its issues, but as the colours of our flag represent: Hardships there are (black), but the land is green and the sun shines; we will continue to prosper despite all that ah gwaan.

Unnu nuh haffi like wi, but unnu ah go respec wi still! Gwaan tru Jawi (L):luv:

How do you fight against your own family? How do you generalize and stereotype your man's family? He is magically different from his family where he born and grow. He grew up among a bunch of money hungry begging good for nothing leeches that should be drowned in the flood waters while holding their cell phones. But, he now he is DIFFERENT!

oonu tink oonu give dem nuff pages fe read inna de YAARDIE thread? or dem ago skip ie cuz ie tuh hard fe read? waaaaaaaaaaiiieee...whaa a ting!

:lol::lol::lol: Lawd Jawi, too much patois, mi head ah hot mi...but mi hubby tell me a good remedy fi di headache...nuff rooks. I think I could do with a little more headaches from the patwah...let the rooksing commence :lol::lol: Like we need an excuse....I am hoping to get some of the VJ water, haffi get a likkle bway inna di mix.

:lol::lol:

unu nuh easy a rass, come tek ova di ppl dem tread.....lawddddddddddd :lol:

:lol:

He's immature, plain and simple..... he'll grow up someday, but "I" won't be around to see that happen. I said that "I" am training him to be a better person for the next one !!

Hey, Kelly

Sorry you are still going through this, I've been there done that. I was told the same thing, with my x-husband, I went and got a restraining order :blink: what good did that do :angry: I packed my bags and got the hell out of dodge, yes it was my home, one I worked hard to get, remodeled the entire home with my hard earned money. We had two cars a nice home, all paid for by yours truely. But guess what? I didn't care anymore, my happiness meant soo much more. I left it all and had to start over from scratch. No one should have to through what you are going through. I seh leave his a$$ sitting der and move on. I know it's easier said than done, esp with all this immigration suff, but something has to give, I'm all for working thing out but then again life is too short.

I was in a bad relationship similar to yours with my eldest son's father (African American). I wanted him to change his ways more than I really wanted to end things. He adored me, but didn't show much love to his own flesh and blood. I never understood this, and I couldn't sit back and let him dote on me and pretty much ignore his child. :wacko:

:blush:

)

Brownskin (Dee & Dave) - had their problems, but back on strong

Damn straight! I tuk back what the devil ...tired to steal from mi. Babelyon(msp) no nah fi come round yersso, you see it. ;) "Where there is marriage there will be trouble" Mi just know fi have somtin waiting fi him, fi him deside to come back :yes: I agree with Jamie, I never came into this thinking I was "better" than my husband, or had to rescue him from a life of poverty, I did how ever felt the need to protect him from this or that or explain everything once we arrived here. I mothered him. I stopped, it's not like he listened anyway, somethings they he had to find out the had wey. Honestly, it feels so good to over come. Sometimes I lie in bed and cry because I cannot believe how blessed we are, what we have been able to come through. I love that song..."I'm a movement by myself but we are a force when we're togehter" describes us to a T. Often I have trouble keeping up with him, He works so hard. Like I would pray for God to send mi someone who would at least put in 25-50% in to the marriage. My husband gives me 125%, Where much is given, much is required...to maintain. All mi have teh seh it's damn hard wuk and it have teh come from both parties.

I would make his life pure hell in my home too. He would wake up to a wet a** because I would pee the bed every night he decided to climb in next to me. I would let him "view" that time of the month still floating in the toilet. I would be a nasty FILTHY HOHO to get him to leave.

Ah joke mi mek...but yuhseemi same wey. LOL LOL

:o Oh my. That would most def get him to leave. My hubby can't even stand to see a clean one. :no:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.