Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

So mr jengles told me that he didn't have to take a road test to get his license in JA. I was in disbelief (even though it would explain so much) . He said all he had to do was take a reading and vision test. So they want JA drivers to be able to read where they going and see where they going...but could care less if their able to stay on the road. He said most people get a "few lessons" AFTER they get their license if they know someone with a car...

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
So mr jengles told me that he didn't have to take a road test to get his license in JA. I was in disbelief (even though it would explain so much) . He said all he had to do was take a reading and vision test. So they want JA drivers to be able to read where they going and see where they going...but could care less if their able to stay on the road. He said most people get a "few lessons" AFTER they get their license if they know someone with a car...

:yes: Crazy to think huh! Hubby said the same thing...he had a vision test and took one lesson and it was just on the instruments in a car...never drove anywhere and he had the license.

I am out for the night! See you all later :)

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

about the school thing...great ting dat...and ladies don't forget about the unions...I was talking to a plumber here who told me, all u had to do was pay the dues and depending on your skill level you get placed in jobs...great for the guys who already have a trade when they come up

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes we checked out a few of those unions too..And why wouldn't u wanna go to school ! :blink: unless they plan to work til they 80 yrs old..I'll tell u this much I"M NOT ! u can take that to the bank

Edited by kimmykashi

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Filed: Timeline

Black Friday Shoppers...here's a heads up...

http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com/

MY HAPPINESS IS SOLELY UP TO ME AND

LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CHOICES, U DONT HAVE TO REMAIN IN UR CURRENT SITUATION IF U DON'T CHOSE TO BE!!!!!!!!!

***SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO FORGET HOW YOU FEEL AND REMEMBER WHAT YOU DESERVE***

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Back to the school thing:

Mike and I are much older than most here (both 43) so going back to school is not a priority when he gets here. Hence the reason I want him to do the GED and then after he starts working, if he wants to he can finish his psychology degree that he started in Ja at UWI.

I guess that will be up to him when he comes up next year :thumbs::thumbs:

Tonks

Kimmy your daughter is beautiful.

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yeah kimmy thanks for making it clear. I'm going to take a back seat from this thread. Everyone best of luck on your journey. I'll be lurking but I'm no longer commenting. I'll post if I have a specific question due to my case. Thanks so much for the help thus far.

Take care.

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Well, what about school? Is it taught in school?

Let me rephrase again............how many different ways have you seen Patois written? I mentioned some above. Are there more? You've got me curious now.

As far as credible, I'm not sure on that one. I do know I understand it so much better in the spoken form. Probably some learning defect in me that way.

As far as I know, it is NOT taught in school at all. What confuses me is there doesn't seem to be one certain way to spell things. That's why it's sometimes hard to read. Everyone spells it how they think it should be spelled. I gaurantee if I told Tony to write me a note in Patois, he wouldn't even know where to start. I think most Jamaican's know how to speak it, but not write/read it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At this point it's not taught in schools in Jamaica, but there is a course that is taught in the UK on how to read, write and speak patois. The book that JG is referring to is "How to Speak Jamaican", which is a little booklet with commonly used phrases. You can pick it up in the bookstore in the airport in Kingston (I'm pretty sure they will have it at Sangsters).

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
Well, what about school? Is it taught in school?

Let me rephrase again............how many different ways have you seen Patois written? I mentioned some above. Are there more? You've got me curious now.

As far as credible, I'm not sure on that one. I do know I understand it so much better in the spoken form. Probably some learning defect in me that way.

As far as I know, it is NOT taught in school at all. What confuses me is there doesn't seem to be one certain way to spell things. That's why it's sometimes hard to read. Everyone spells it how they think it should be spelled. I gaurantee if I told Tony to write me a note in Patois, he wouldn't even know where to start. I think most Jamaican's know how to speak it, but not write/read it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

At this point it's not taught in schools in Jamaica, but there is a course that is taught in the UK on how to read, write and speak patois. The book that JG is referring to is "How to Speak Jamaican", which is a little booklet with commonly used phrases. You can pick it up in the bookstore in the airport in Kingston (I'm pretty sure they will have it at Sangsters).

Your right the students can not speak PATIOS in class. There is a great green book that teaches you PATIOS. It is a lot better than that little booklet. I have it I just can't remember the name of it. I got it on Amazon. I will have to look if I have it or my father might still have it. I swear its the best book around.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline

This is exactly what I need! I've been wondering if there were ads for BF out already. Thanks! :thumbs:

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline

Oh here is the book name. I found it. Understanding Jamaican Patois: An Introduction to Afro-Jamaican Grammar

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: Timeline

This is exactly what I need! I've been wondering if there were ads for BF out already. Thanks! :thumbs:

u are welcome

MY HAPPINESS IS SOLELY UP TO ME AND

LIFE IS ALL ABOUT CHOICES, U DONT HAVE TO REMAIN IN UR CURRENT SITUATION IF U DON'T CHOSE TO BE!!!!!!!!!

***SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO FORGET HOW YOU FEEL AND REMEMBER WHAT YOU DESERVE***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Can I ask what you all mean when you say you encourage him to go back to school and that kind of thing? I always take this kind of thing as women saying they feel the man wasn't schooled enough and for this reason I feel looked down upon. I read talk of ESL classes, college classes, GED's, all that kind of thing.

Now, I'm not saying it's bad talk nor is it a bad idea. I'm just wondering how your SO feels about additional schooling talk. Does he feel like you are saying you are smarter then him? Does he resent the topic?

Funniest thing is last night after praying, I asked Aaron if he felt pressured to go back to school. I am only encouraging him to get a degree as it opens his horizons for better paying jobs in South Florida. I support him all the way in whatever he wants to do and if he feels that a 4 year degree is not it for him and a certificate program will suffice, then that's fine with me. I just want him to be able to go out and get the job he wants.

That's my 2 cents.

Luvtravlin - sorry to hear all that you are going through with Craig. I had a very good friend who dated her husband for years and he didn't turn abusive until 2 months into their marriage. Thankfully, God made a way for her one night after he threw her against the wall, out of her marriage. He's American, she's Jamaican (got her GC through her parent). Their divorce was final 6 months after they got married and because he began stalking her, she had to get a restraining order against him. Thankfully, 2 years after it all he has stayed away and she is in a wonderful relationship. I wish you all the best and hope that you do not decide to keep away from the thread. (F)

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.