10,487 posts in this topic

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Call me - I'll teach you :lol:

Seriously, reading it is the best start. Whether it's on this board or another Jacan board (Dancehallreggae.com or Jamaicans.com) - reading the words out loud will get you started. I think Jamaicans.com actually has a link that says some common words and phrases via Windows so you can hear the pronounciation.

Nooooo....don't send them to DHR, they be SLAUGHTERED!!!

:lol: well they can read as visitors - JUST DON'T POST ANYTHING!! :lol:

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

And whether or not our husbands are here or not means absolutely nothing to the matter in which we handle our relationships.

:whistle: You are in for so many surprises when the time comes. You have no idea......

Not neccessarily. Everybody's experience is different. Although it appears the norm is a lot of struggle with him adapting to the different culture, some people do not experience it at all. I KNOW for a fact a few people that didn't have ONE day of the relationship changing when the Jamaican man got here.

I pray that Marlita is one of those.

One of my favorite sayings is "Expect the worst, but HOPE for the best". I think the more prepared you are for what might happen and the big adjustments that must be made, the better you will handle the situation. And yes, every relationship is different. It also seeme easier for those who did the K3 or Cr1 because their husbands could work right away. That's one of the most difficult things for some men - sitting at home doing nothing for months on end!

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I do get what Kelly is saying, though. He has rights too and once she entered into the marriage and permanent resident status, it's not so cut and dried as to how to get out of it.

I understand what Kelly is saying too. But how long is she going to be miserable?? She keeps saying the same thing over and over again. No one said it would be easy. Maybe I'm just tired of hearing about it.

Have you yourself ever been in an abusive relationship?

Actually yes I have. It took me awhile to get out of it instead of talking about it over and over again...I did something about it. She keeps giving the same reasons...what is being done? They are plenty of resources out there. Once again, I never said it would be easy.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There are books out there...most of the Jamaicans I know laugh at them though. It has words they hardly use...almost like how the words we used as teenagers were cool...but wouldn't be so now.

I do think there should be more Jamaican authors published that opt to use patois in their works. When I first started typing patwah, the Jamaicans would ROLL!!! They had a field day with me, but I kept at it. LOL

Kimmy didn't laugh at me yesterday...nor did Gill or Tameka and had LOOONG conversations in patwah with them over the phone. So, I guess I'm not as bad sounding as I think chatting suss. :blush:

0insijou.png

According to God's favor...Happily married on 09~09~09

See "Our Story" for K-1 timeline

~AOS Timeline~

Nov 28, 2009 ~~ Mailed off Packet

Dec 01, 2009 ~~ Delivered to Chicago Lockbox and signed for by "L. Box"

Dec 07, 2009 ~~ Check Cashed!

Dec 12, 2009 ~~ All 3 NOA1s received in the mail (dated 12/7/09)

Dec 17, 2009 ~~ InfoPass appointment (Emergency AP granted)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ Biometric Letter arrived (dated 12/15/09)

Dec 28, 2009 ~~ RFE for I-693 (dated 12/22/09)

Jan 11, 2010 ~~ Completed Biometrics

Jan 14, 2010 ~~ Sent I-693 in sealed envelope via US Priority Mail

Jan 19, 2010 ~~ Reply to RFE delivered to Lee's Summit, MO @ 5:03 PM signed for by "C BUCHHOLZ"

Jan 20, 2010 ~~ USCIS acknowledged receipt of RFE on I-485 only

Jan 22, 2010 ~~ I-131 AP and I-765 EAD approved (email notice on 1/25/10)

Jan 28, 2010 ~~ USCIS email that I-485 was transferred to CSC on 1/26/10

Jan 30, 2010 ~~ Received EAD and AP via US Postal Service

Feb 01, 2010 ~~ Received notification of case transfer via USPS

May 07, 2010 ~~ Email notification that card production ordered for 1-485

Jun 01, 2010 ~~ Greencard finally arrives w/approval date 2/23/10 (Huh??)

Done until November 25, 2011!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

luv travel

real quick, Craig isn't leaving because of the free room and board, you think he can go and stay with family and not contribute to the household????? Not sure how he's getting away with that.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Timeline
Call me - I'll teach you :lol:

Seriously, reading it is the best start. Whether it's on this board or another Jacan board (Dancehallreggae.com or Jamaicans.com) - reading the words out loud will get you started. I think Jamaicans.com actually has a link that says some common words and phrases via Windows so you can hear the pronounciation.

Nooooo....don't send them to DHR, they be SLAUGHTERED!!!

:lol: well they can read as visitors - JUST DON'T POST ANYTHING!! :lol:

:lol: I have lurked there for a long time...it's a good site...but be careful posting :unsure:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Well, what about school? Is it taught in school?

Let me rephrase again............how many different ways have you seen Patois written? I mentioned some above. Are there more? You've got me curious now.

As far as credible, I'm not sure on that one. I do know I understand it so much better in the spoken form. Probably some learning defect in me that way.

As far as I know, it is NOT taught in school at all. What confuses me is there doesn't seem to be one certain way to spell things. That's why it's sometimes hard to read. Everyone spells it how they think it should be spelled. I gaurantee if I told Tony to write me a note in Patois, he wouldn't even know where to start. I think most Jamaican's know how to speak it, but not write/read it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I would say that is true of Andre too. Some things I have copied from a book I was reading were not how he said he would spell them.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Oh I forgot to add. I don't own my own home, we live in an apartment, that I've lived in for over 10yrs. With VERY VERY nosey neighbors !!!

HONEY!!! I would sign a new lease and request a different apartment WITHOUT his name on the lease. I would transfer service on all the utilities and let his crazy behind sit in his apartment alone. He wouldn't have to leave...I would. He won't have much use for the apartment when they come to put him out. LOL. LOL.

that is too funny, but it just might work

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I do get what Kelly is saying, though. He has rights too and once she entered into the marriage and permanent resident status, it's not so cut and dried as to how to get out of it.

I understand what Kelly is saying too. But how long is she going to be miserable?? She keeps saying the same thing over and over again. No one said it would be easy. Maybe I'm just tired of hearing about it.

Have you yourself ever been in an abusive relationship?

Actually yes I have. It took me awhile to get out of it instead of talking about it over and over again...I did something about it. She keeps giving the same reasons...what is being done? They are plenty of resources out there. Once again, I never said it would be easy.

Which is kind of my point...."it took me a while to get out of it". She's there too. She's just figuring her way and chooses to talk about it.

I've been there too and I can see why she is hesitant at times and treading lightly.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
I'm sorry to...but trust me, I'll be okay. I thank god EVERYday that I have my friends that I met with on VJ that support me and are there for me everyday....and you know who you guys are !!!!! If not, than I would have jumped off the nearest bridge long ago !!

Unfortunately, "I" don't have many options at this point.... I can't get a separation because he LIVES here. In Maryland you have to be legally separated for a yr before you can file for divorce. Hence, I can't MAKE him leave.

Number 2, in regards to a protection order, I haven't looked into the filing a separation 1st....but I do know that I have to show proof that he's been abusive, or whatever else.... we've been there done that, bought the T-shirt (2 1/2 months ag)....he CHANGED (for the better) for a month and now back to square one. I told him last night (in one of his rages) IF he were to even TRY to even get physical again, remember that "I" was REEEEEAL nice the 1st time !!!! and there are absolutely NO 2nd chances !!!

Also, since I've been supporting all of us financially from day one (although he's been working nonstop since July of LAST year) "I" don't have ANY extra money to pay for him to leave, nor do I feel "I" need to pay for him to leave. He throws that "you are responsible for me" in my face (his cousin tells him that) and I tell him.........um, ya betta watch what you say with that because "I" could soooo show proof that this was fraud, so you may want to think of something else !!!

He threatens ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL of the time that he is going to leave, but he needs money. I do NOT UNDERSTAND why he just won't go and stay with that good ole family in Philly !!! His brother knows everything and how he's been treating me, etc etc and I told him that he NEEDS to get out of here. Not quite sure they take me seriously.

I say to him all the time, wow you REALLY put up quite an act for being such a wonderful person BEFORE you got here.......seriously, have you ever really and truly thought about an acting career ?? He says, I wasn't acting.... yeah, okay !!!

He's immature, plain and simple..... he'll grow up someday, but "I" won't be around to see that happen. I said that "I" am training him to be a better person for the next one !!

I find it difficult to believe that you REALLY want to him leave.....why would you pick him up, drop him off anywhere? Or pick up the phone when he called from the wedding?

Or speak to his relatives?

If you think there's a chance, then you need to work on that, if there is NO chance and you REALLY want to get rid of him, it's easy enough.

Don't speak to him, don't cook for him, don't answer the phone to him, don't go anywhere with him....While it's not my business, from I've seen, you SAY you want him out, but put up with him being there.

That's why I asked the questions earlier. I know me...and I am crazy too. He would come home to an empty refrigerator and cabinets. I would eat before I got home. I would not carry cash or anything that he could get his hands on my money. I would pull the distributor cap out of the car at night when I parked and hide it.

I would make his life pure hell in my home too. He would wake up to a wet a** because I would pee the bed every night he decided to climb in next to me. I would let him "view" that time of the month still floating in the toilet. I would be a nasty FILTHY HOHO to get him to leave.

Ah joke mi mek...but yuhseemi same wey. LOL LOL

0insijou.png

~AOS Timeline~

Jan 19, 2010 ~~ Reply to RFE delivered to Lee's Summit, MO @ 5:03 PM signed for by "C BUCHHOLZ"

You can't go into these relationships (JA/USA) thinking you are his savior and he should be happy that you rescued him from his life of squalor and filth. Third World country does not mean low class man. I hear alot of women and men equate more money to being better. Sad way to look at things.

So true. Not all Jamaicans WANT to come a farrin. Some are perfectly happy with their lives. This is a big misconception too. Tony originally did not want to move here. We talked about me moving there, but decided the job opportunities are better here for right now. Your marriage is not going to work if you feel as if you rescued him or saved him or gave him this great opportunity :no: He came here so you could be TOGETHER. Thats it.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Timeline
That's why I asked the questions earlier. I know me...and I am crazy too. He would come home to an empty refrigerator and cabinets. I would eat before I got home. I would not carry cash or anything that he could get his hands on my money. I would pull the distributor cap out of the car at night when I parked and hide it.

I would make his life pure hell in my home too. He would wake up to a wet a** because I would pee the bed every night he decided to climb in next to me. I would let him "view" that time of the month still floating in the toilet. I would be a nasty FILTHY HOHO to get him to leave.

You are wild :lol:

Timeline

You are wild :lol:

Deseparate times call for deseparate measures! wwwwwwwaaaaaaaiiiiiiieeeeee mi nuh heasy atall.

0insijou.png

~AOS Timeline~

.........but, I've always felt like I would see my husband as a possession if I said I could/would send him back. We have always looked at each other together as a married partnership. I have no rights to even think I could just ship him off and be done with any problems. And, he looks as that sentiment as him running away from any problems. That one sentence that bugs me so many times has been/is never spoken in our house.

It should never be said. You're right. I used it in the past to hurt him during an argument or fight.

We have talked though and he agreed that if something were to happen and we split up, he'd probably move back to JA anyhow. That's where his family and friends are - it's still his "home". I wouldn't blame him at all. I'd do the same if the situation were reversed.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.