Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey Guys!

We are finally about to file out I129F!!!

:) I am glad we waited.

ANYWAY, My real question is I am a teacher and have about 8 weeks off this summer. I am planning on visiting my fiancee for at least one week and realized that the flight is the most expensive part so..why not make it worth it???!

Well, I know that I read somewhere that you are only allowed to visit so long without a visitors Visa..so, does anyone know how long I can legally visit him?

I have looked and cant find it, but I am sure it is somewhere!

Thanks guys!

Six months without a visa.

Ironically, it is 6 months at a time. I know someone who sometimes flies back to Miami, just to touch American soil, and then flies back to Jamaica.

I never knew there were a timeframe. My daughter stayed for a few years and my sister stayed for 3 yrs until she returned and got married.

Do they have any sort of JA citizenship/residency? How long ago was that? Maybe things have changed since then...I don't know but I do know that 6 months is the max and it has been that way since 2002'ish.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Wow the longest I ever stayed was almost a year and I didn't have to proof anything, but then again my tickets always says 2 wks. We would buy tickets for two wks but can stay as long as we want (up to a year) and pay $100 to come back on stand by. We always flew on Charter so maybe that's why.

Don't they stamp a time frame in your passport? Like "granted 1 month" or "granted 2 weeks"? I was always given a stamp with my *allowed* time. If I needed an extension I would have to go to the embassy or somewhere to extend my stay. I never had to do that but I have heard of others doing that. I know they checked that stamp as I was leaving. I once had an agent do the math because I stayed til the last day possible and she told me I was "lucky I didn't stay later"...hmmm wonder what makes it such a difference between our experiences :huh:

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Wow the longest I ever stayed was almost a year and I didn't have to proof anything, but then again my tickets always says 2 wks. We would buy tickets for two wks but can stay as long as we want (up to a year) and pay $100 to come back on stand by. We always flew on Charter so maybe that's why.

Don't they stamp a time frame in your passport? Like "granted 1 month" or "granted 2 weeks"? I was always given a stamp with my *allowed* time. If I needed an extension I would have to go to the embassy or somewhere to extend my stay. I never had to do that but I have heard of others doing that. I know they checked that stamp as I was leaving. I once had an agent do the math because I stayed til the last day possible and she told me I was "lucky I didn't stay later"...hmmm wonder what makes it such a difference between our experiences :huh:

I stayed past my alloted time stamp one time and had no issues.

I know a gal who lives in JA for 6 months of the year and in Connecticut for the other 6 months. She has never done anything but travelled. She cannot work in JA. That is her limitation.

I had another friend live in JA for 4 years. She had to get a visa from the embassy.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey Guys!

ANYWAY, My real question is I am a teacher and have about 8 weeks off this summer. I am planning on visiting my fiancee for at least one week and realized that the flight is the most expensive part so..why not make it worth it???!

Well, I know that I read somewhere that you are only allowed to visit so long without a visitors Visa..so, does anyone know how long I can legally visit him?

Thanks guys!

Ironically, it is 6 months at a time. I know someone who sometimes flies back to Miami, just to touch American soil, and then flies back to Jamaica.

I never knew there were a timeframe. My daughter stayed for a few years and my sister stayed for 3 yrs until she returned and got married.

Do they have any sort of JA citizenship/residency? How long ago was that? Maybe things have changed since then...I don't know but I do know that 6 months is the max and it has been that way since 2002'ish.

No I don't I'm a USC. For me it was a while back but for my sister is was the other day. She lived in JA from 2000-2003. Came back for a month then went back and stayed for another year. One she came back in 2004 then her husband came up on a visitor visa and they got married. I think it was different for her b/c she was at family and my parents home. She just had to provide both addresses but didn't have to proof any financials. She wasn't working and only went down there w/$100.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline

ok..so now I am confused

Is it 6 months that I can stay? or not that long?

The date in the passport says like a month later or something and I want to stay 6 weeks. does anyone know where I can find the "official" information? a website or something and I cant find it on ther USCIS website either.

I just need to start making preparations and want to plan accordingly.

Thanks!

Hey Guys!

Thanks guys!

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Timeline

They have been just doing that recently (within the last few yrs) and a lot of times they won't fill that part in. And if they did we overstayed anyway. I really think it's b/c we have family there. They don't really trouble us but who really knows.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
ok..so now I am confused

The date in the passport says like a month later or something and I want to stay 6 weeks. does anyone know where I can find the "official" information? a website or something and I cant find it on ther USCIS website either.

Thanks!

You can stay for 6 weeks :yes:

I stayed for 5 months without any *real* problems...I was just saying be prepared for some extra questioning if staying for long amts of time...You should have no problems at all with staying 6 weeks :thumbs:

Timeline

Thanks so much!

I think we will be renting a little house there, so what would I tell them the address is?

Marsh actually lives at his work (manages an inn) and that just wouldnt be appropriate to stay there and renting a house is cheaper.

Last time we did that I just said on the paper that I had reservations @ the inn he works at, but I think if it were for 6 weeks that they would question that b/c it would seem to be fairly expensive? I dont know. what do you think?

Thanks!

They have been just doing that recently (within the last few yrs) and a lot of times they won't fill that part in. And if they did we overstayed anyway. I really think it's b/c we have family there. They don't really trouble us but who really knows.

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Hey family!!!!

I don't know if anyone has tried this (mobilecaller.com) but i got 541 mins for $20.00. You can register your house phone and cell phone. My hubby has alot of friends and fam back in the yard and this really cut my bill 75%.

Hope everyone's having a good day. :dance:

067-1.jpg

080.jpg Want some

089-1.jpg I am hot

Timeline

I went to JA last July...NEVER had they given me a time frame but now the rules have changed. They stamped 3 months in my passport and said if I needed more time I would have to go to the embassy

I-130 Timeline

04/10/09 - I130 Sent

04/14/09 - I130 Received

04/22/09 - Check Cashed

04/22/09 - NOA1 Hardcopy Received

08/13/09 - Touch

08/24/09 - RFE Email

08/27/09 - RFE Hardcopy Received

09/11/09 - Evidence sent to CSC

09/16/09 - Evidence Received by CSC

09/20/09 - Touch...on a Sunday???

09/25/09 - NOA2 Hardcopy Received. Dated 9/18

NVC Timeline

10/01/09 - NVC Case Number Assigned

10/02/09 - DS3023 & I-864 Bill Generated

10/02/09 - Paid I-864 fee online

10/03/09 - DS3032 Emailed

10/13/09 - Sent I-864 Packet

10/14/09 - NVC Received I-864 Packet

10/20/09 - I-864 Received via AVR

10/22/09 - IV Bill Generated

Timeline
ok..so now I am confused

Thanks!

Hey Guys!

Thanks guys!

I'm not sure on the website but 6 wks is fine. You won't have any problems.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
Well the apartment hunt is over :dance::dance: Application was approved this morning :yes: I have never lived in an apt in the city so it will definitely be a new experience :help:

Congrats on the new apt!!

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
Well the apartment hunt is over :dance::dance: Application was approved this morning :yes: I have never lived in an apt in the city so it will definitely be a new experience :help:

congrats! It's good to change things up.....try the city for a while

August 28 2003...Married Ocho Rios Jamaica!

October 22 2003...recieved long form birth certificate

November 10 2003...Filed I-130 at CSC

November 12 2003...I-130 NOA 1

December 14 2003...Filed I-129f

December 17 2003...I-129f NOA 1

February 23 2004...I-129f NOA 2

March 1 2004...NVC recieved case

March 4 2004...NVC sent case to KNG embassy

March 5 2004...received long form birth certificate

March 9 2004...Embassy receives file Yeah!!!

March 9 2004...Kingston Embassy send out packet 3

March 11 2004...received packet 3 in only 4 days!!!!

March 15 2004...applied for police certificate

March 15 2004...medical exam date

March 17 2004...recieved police certificate

March 23 2004...interview ...HE GOT IT!!!!!!!!

April 1 2004...Ricardo flies home

April 2004-July 2005...living life and not concentrating on visa. We decided to go the IR-1 route and our taking our time completiing it

Febraury 9 2005...gave birth to twin boys Jaden and Jalen!

July 25 2005.. applied for US passports

August 25 2005... received passports

August 29 2005...sent visa fee ($335) to NVC via priority mail

September 1 2005...visa fee delivered to NVC

September 7 2005...NVC sends out ds-230 and bio- packet

September 10 2005...recieved ds-230 from NVC

September 14 2005...NVC recieves completed ds-230

October 14 2005...case complete at NVC! yes!!!!!

October 20 2005...case sent to Kingston

December 22 2005...visa granted

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.