Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok VJ'ers I have an interesting topic....or maybe its just interesting to me.

Anyway, I've noticed that many people file for the K1 fiance visa, meaning that they are not married before their SO comes to the US. I know that the rend was that K1's were faster, but they seem like such a hassle for so long. I mean, you have all this additional paperwork to file once you get to the US, plus you have to rush and marry, adjust status, etc....It just seems like a long time to have Immigration on your back. Thats just my personal opinion, but really has nothing to do with the 'interesting topic' I want to start.

I wanted to know if those VJ'ers that applied for a K1, had some sort of 'wedding' or 'ring' ceremony in Jamaica before their SO came here. If you did, what did you do to celebrate your union in front of the Jamaican family while there.

For those that married in Jamaica first and the SO came here as a spouse, what sort of celebration did you have with the American family. Did you 'marry' twice?

I am getting married in the hometown of my SO, actually i'm getting married in Sav la Mar, but I want to have some sort of ceremony when he gets to the States, so I am looking for examples of what others have done.

(F)

I got married in JA in Oct but it was very small. It was in front of two witnesses (Javon's sister and his brother-in-law). No one knows we are married except for them and my sister and her husband. We decided to keep it low key b/c of the drama that surrounded us when out I-129f petition was denied. We're going to have a bashment/reception in JA before he leaves for both our family and friends that are still in JA. Once he arrives we're going to do the "dream wedding" here in front of family and friends. It's hard keeping it a secret esp when my mom is asking me daily what's going on, but we figure this was the best way for us. Our first priority is immigration right now so once that is done we can plan anything we like.

Reasons why we got married in Jamaica

1) His mom could be there

2) His friends could be there

3) The paper work is over when he gets here and we can concentrate on just us

4) I could also plan the date I wanted to get married and I always had wanted to get married on my birthday. Yes call me crazy.

5) I could get my dress ordered in time and my bridesmaids gown

We rented Summerhill villa that had 9 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms near Rose Hall in Saint James parish. 17 guest flew down to stay at the villa for the whole week. We had 14 newbies to JA so they had a blast and did the tourist thing. We had a small wedding of 50 people. I did hardly any planning for the big day. Thanks to Elizabethhenrey for giving me a wedding corridantor. The best 500 dollars we ever spent. She did everything and it was wonderful. You can tell that Mrs. Barrett reall enjoys her job. I wouldn't change the way I went about my wedding

My dad was wonderful and paid for the whole thing. I am blessed to have the best dad on earth. That is cause he is mine and treats Dwain like his own son.

We will have a USA reception on August 11th renewing the vows. A pig roast on my aunts farm. We will have a dj and at night we will have a bom fire. I have everything prepared so far but the cake and minster. My friend is a minster so he said he would do it. I just need to call. It wont be as pretty as Jamaica but this is are cheap 2nd wedding. We will have around 300 guest and Dwain is suprised I know that many people. It should be a blast.

Pam save travels on the way down to pick up your man and congrats again on finally recieving the visa :thumbs:

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Ok VJ'ers I have an interesting topic....or maybe its just interesting to me.

Anyway, I've noticed that many people file for the K1 fiance visa, meaning that they are not married before their SO comes to the US. I know that the rend was that K1's were faster, but they seem like such a hassle for so long. I mean, you have all this additional paperwork to file once you get to the US, plus you have to rush and marry, adjust status, etc....It just seems like a long time to have Immigration on your back. Thats just my personal opinion, but really has nothing to do with the 'interesting topic' I want to start.

I wanted to know if those VJ'ers that applied for a K1, had some sort of 'wedding' or 'ring' ceremony in Jamaica before their SO came here. If you did, what did you do to celebrate your union in front of the Jamaican family while there.

For those that married in Jamaica first and the SO came here as a spouse, what sort of celebration did you have with the American family. Did you 'marry' twice?

I am getting married in the hometown of my SO, actually i'm getting married in Sav la Mar, but I want to have some sort of ceremony when he gets to the States, so I am looking for examples of what others have done.

(F)

I got married in JA in Oct but it was very small. It was in front of two witnesses (Javon's sister and his brother-in-law). No one knows we are married except for them and my sister and her husband. We decided to keep it low key b/c of the drama that surrounded us when out I-129f petition was denied. We're going to have a bashment/reception in JA before he leaves for both our family and friends that are still in JA. Once he arrives we're going to do the "dream wedding" here in front of family and friends. It's hard keeping it a secret esp when my mom is asking me daily what's going on, but we figure this was the best way for us. Our first priority is immigration right now so once that is done we can plan anything we like.

Reasons why we got married in Jamaica

1) His mom could be there

2) His friends could be there

3) The paper work is over when he gets here and we can concentrate on just us

4) I could also plan the date I wanted to get married and I always had wanted to get married on my birthday. Yes call me crazy.

5) I could get my dress ordered in time and my bridesmaids gown

We rented Summerhill villa that had 9 bedrooms and 8 bathrooms near Rose Hall in Saint James parish. 17 guest flew down to stay at the villa for the whole week. We had 14 newbies to JA so they had a blast and did the tourist thing. We had a small wedding of 50 people. I did hardly any planning for the big day. Thanks to Elizabethhenrey for giving me a wedding corridantor. The best 500 dollars we ever spent. She did everything and it was wonderful. You can tell that Mrs. Barrett reall enjoys her job. I wouldn't change the way I went about my wedding

My dad was wonderful and paid for the whole thing. I am blessed to have the best dad on earth. That is cause he is mine and treats Dwain like his own son.

We will have a USA reception on August 11th renewing the vows. A pig roast on my aunts farm. We will have a dj and at night we will have a bom fire. I have everything prepared so far but the cake and minster. My friend is a minster so he said he would do it. I just need to call. It wont be as pretty as Jamaica but this is are cheap 2nd wedding. We will have around 300 guest and Dwain is suprised I know that many people. It should be a blast.

Pam save travels on the way down to pick up your man and congrats again on finally recieving the visa :thumbs:

Good God! 300 guests! Girl thats like a wedding for the rich and famous. It sounds absolutely wonderful though.

Your reasons for the JA wedding are pretty much the same as mine, sans the birthday thing. I want to have a US celebration too, just wasnt sure if it would make sense being a year off the first wedding date. But after hearing your idea it sounds pretty good to me now. I'm not planning much, this time around either cause the JA fam is doing all the work. God bless them. Just gotta get my dress and show up. LOL!

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Hello Ladies,

Wow, was it quiet in here today :unsure: Where is everyone? I'm just at work as usual. Same s***, different day :whistle:

Still hard to believe I'm really preggo :wacko: Am I supposed to feel different? I don't feel anything!

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Timeline

Hey Guys!

We are finally about to file out I129F!!!

:) I am glad we waited.

ANYWAY, My real question is I am a teacher and have about 8 weeks off this summer. I am planning on visiting my fiancee for at least one week and realized that the flight is the most expensive part so..why not make it worth it???!

Well, I know that I read somewhere that you are only allowed to visit so long without a visitors Visa..so, does anyone know how long I can legally visit him?

I have looked and cant find it, but I am sure it is somewhere!

Thanks guys!

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!!!!

10-29-07 Overnighted I-130 to VSC

10-30-07 I-1-30 Received

1-17-08 NOA-1

8-6-08 MOVED TO CSC

8-20-08 Approved!

8-25-08 Received at NVC

8-28-08 DS-3032 emailed

9-5-08 Paid AOS bill online

10-8-08 Paid IV bill online

10-17-08 RFE, DS230

10-28-08 CASE COMPLETE!

2-19-09 INTERVIEW 8:30am, APPROVED

Hey Guys!

ANYWAY, My real question is I am a teacher and have about 8 weeks off this summer. I am planning on visiting my fiancee for at least one week and realized that the flight is the most expensive part so..why not make it worth it???!

Well, I know that I read somewhere that you are only allowed to visit so long without a visitors Visa..so, does anyone know how long I can legally visit him?

Thanks guys!

Well, whenever I visited JA they would stamp my passport with a date about a month from when I arrived. That dates tell me how long I can legally stay in Jamaica. I think if you need to stay long you may need a visa. I sure the USCIS website has all visa information for US citizens traveling to other countries.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey Guys!

Thanks guys!

Six months without a visa.

Ironically, it is 6 months at a time. I know someone who sometimes flies back to Miami, just to touch American soil, and then flies back to Jamaica.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

(F)

We got married at the State park about 3 minutes from where we live. If you can get on our group yahoo site, I have pictures posted on there. It was absolutely beautiful and VERY romantic.........small and quiet just the way we wanted it.

It was just me, Craig, my son, my friend that performed the wedding, her boyfriend and then another friend who took pictures.

We were planning on going back this July (that's the only month "off" from soccer -due to my sons crazy travel schedule) to do a big bash. We're beach folks....so that's where we want to renew our vows....right on the beach at the hotel where we met. It won't be happening this July since we haven't filed for our AOS yet. We're going to *try* for next July.

Timeline

(F)

My husband is from Bluefields.....is your SO from Sav ?

Timeline
Good God! 300 guests! Girl thats like a wedding for the rich and famous. It sounds absolutely wonderful though.

Your reasons for the JA wedding are pretty much the same as mine, sans the birthday thing. I want to have a US celebration too, just wasnt sure if it would make sense being a year off the first wedding date. But after hearing your idea it sounds pretty good to me now. I'm not planning much, this time around either cause the JA fam is doing all the work. God bless them. Just gotta get my dress and show up. LOL!

It was to expensive compared to normal USA weddings here with the church and reception hall.

The USA one on my aunts farm is free. My cousin is free to cook the pig. All we need to do it buy one pig. I have a friend who is a cater for half price. I know a farm boy who is a dj so we get a deal. My friend does cakes so its half off. Minster is free he is my friend. My flowers will be cheap my parents use to be florist. It is really about who you know and finding great deals. I am all about bargains. It will be like a college reunion for me and then add some of Dwain's friends he met through my college after I graduated we should have at least 10 year spand of EC college alumni and students.

Wish I was rich and famous :whistle: :whistle:

(F)

My husband is from Bluefields.....is your SO from Sav ?

Dwain's best friend is from Sav. Wish we could go to his wedding but it is the same day as out USA wedding.

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline
Hey Guys!

Thanks guys!

Yes 6 months is the max. I am a teacher and the longest I stayed in the summer was a month. The heat was killer. Have fun and pack a little fan in your suitcase :)!! My hubby hogs the fan so I brought my own small battery operated box fan it can also use a cord. He kept it when I left and uses it. His mother can't wait to have his fans when he leaves. :whistle:

xTr6m6.png

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Shuana, Mike has 2 biometric appointments? Bert only had one. Why 2????

And on was for EAD and one was for AOS????

yes...on the bio appt letters up top it said which was for what one...and the one said AOS...and the other was for the EAD....so when we went to the 1st they did both.....so double check...but i am sure he got both done....

Just check the appointment letter and both cases were listed. I was sweating that one wondering if that is why the EAD was being held up.

Now I feel better.

Hi everyone...

Today I noticed that the check for the I-129F filing fee was cashed yesterday..but I haven't received the NOA1. Is this unusual? Or maybe I'll get it in snail mail today. Let me know your thoughts.

My check was cashed on the 4th of April and I received NOA1 on 3 days later. You will get it soon, it seem like that is the easy part, it's the NOA2 that have me very nervous and I have not seen any touches at all.

It seems like everything is moving slow lately. It will go by fast trust me. It won't seem like it by later on when you are looking back you will see it.

Thanks for the encouragement, the waiting is more painful that I imagined, plus the phone bills argh!!

Maybe the slow down is due a flood of applications caused by the rumored raise in the processing fees.

Edited by waynegeraldine

Timeline
Hello Ladies,

Wow, was it quiet in here today :unsure: Where is everyone? I'm just at work as usual. Same s***, different day :whistle:

Still hard to believe I'm really preggo :wacko: Am I supposed to feel different? I don't feel anything!

No not yet....it's still really soon. You may start feeling tired and if you are "oh so lucky" to have morning aka all day sickness...you will "feel" pregnant...trust me! From then on it really gets rolling. Just relax, get as much rest as possible and enjoy your pregnancy! I enjoyed every minute of each of mine!

August 28 2003...Married Ocho Rios Jamaica!

October 22 2003...recieved long form birth certificate

November 10 2003...Filed I-130 at CSC

November 12 2003...I-130 NOA 1

December 14 2003...Filed I-129f

December 17 2003...I-129f NOA 1

February 23 2004...I-129f NOA 2

March 1 2004...NVC recieved case

March 4 2004...NVC sent case to KNG embassy

March 5 2004...received long form birth certificate

March 9 2004...Embassy receives file Yeah!!!

March 9 2004...Kingston Embassy send out packet 3

March 11 2004...received packet 3 in only 4 days!!!!

March 15 2004...applied for police certificate

March 15 2004...medical exam date

March 17 2004...recieved police certificate

March 23 2004...interview ...HE GOT IT!!!!!!!!

April 1 2004...Ricardo flies home

April 2004-July 2005...living life and not concentrating on visa. We decided to go the IR-1 route and our taking our time completiing it

Febraury 9 2005...gave birth to twin boys Jaden and Jalen!

July 25 2005.. applied for US passports

August 25 2005... received passports

August 29 2005...sent visa fee ($335) to NVC via priority mail

September 1 2005...visa fee delivered to NVC

September 7 2005...NVC sends out ds-230 and bio- packet

September 10 2005...recieved ds-230 from NVC

September 14 2005...NVC recieves completed ds-230

October 14 2005...case complete at NVC! yes!!!!!

October 20 2005...case sent to Kingston

December 22 2005...visa granted

Timeline
Hey Guys!

Thanks guys!

Six months without a visa.

Ironically, it is 6 months at a time. I know someone who sometimes flies back to Miami, just to touch American soil, and then flies back to Jamaica.

I never knew there were a timeframe. My daughter stayed for a few years and my sister stayed for 3 yrs until she returned and got married.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey Guys!

Thanks guys!

Yes 6 months is the max. I am a teacher and the longest I stayed in the summer was a month. The heat was killer. Have fun and pack a little fan in your suitcase :)!! My hubby hogs the fan so I brought my own small battery operated box fan it can also use a cord. He kept it when I left and uses it. His mother can't wait to have his fans when he leaves. :whistle:

Definitely bring a fan...and bug spray :yes: At least where I was the bugs got 100x worse in the summer months.

If you are staying for longer than a couple of weeks be prepared for some *interogation* through customs/immigration. I stayed for 5 months and they grilled me pretty good. I stood my ground and was truthful but they definitely asked me TONS of questions and I had to give them a name and number of who would be my *care provider* while in JA. I think they had a hard time cause I was younger and single, a girl and I wasn't staying in a resort. Just be prepared...oh and be prepared to show that you have the financial means to stay for your length of time...that was a HUGE one for them. They even told me if I hadn't printed out my savings records and gotten a written statement from my bank that they wouldn't have granted me so much time. Again I don't know if they were just having a bad day or if that was the norm...but it did happen every time I stayed for more than a couple of weeks.

Edited by Jme3584

Timeline
Hey Guys!

Thanks guys!

Definitely bring a fan...and bug spray :yes: At least where I was the bugs got 100x worse in the summer months.

If you are staying for longer than a couple of weeks be prepared for some *interogation* through customs/immigration. I stayed for 5 months and they grilled me pretty good. I stood my ground and was truthful but they definitely asked me TONS of questions and I had to give them a name and number of who would be my *care provider* while in JA. I think they had a hard time cause I was younger and single, a girl and I wasn't staying in a resort. Just be prepared...oh and be prepared to show that you have the financial means to stay for your length of time...that was a HUGE one for them. They even told me if I hadn't printed out my savings records and gotten a written statement from my bank that they wouldn't have granted me so much time. Again I don't know if they were just having a bad day or if that was the norm...but it did happen every time I stayed for more than a couple of weeks.

Wow the longest I ever stayed was almost a year and I didn't have to proof anything, but then again my tickets always says 2 wks. We would buy tickets for two wks but can stay as long as we want (up to a year) and pay $100 to come back on stand by. We always flew on Charter so maybe that's why.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.