Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Question:

Why is it bad (in Jamaica) to be slapped with a dish towel??? I swatted at Tony with one because he was teasing me and he flipped out! Said something about becoming lazy or something :wacko: Has anyone heard of this before?

well my jamaican said he never heard of that..... :wacko: then again sometime not sure if he really is jamaican :lol:

Andre said the same thing. When his mom is mad, she just whips out her knife.

She right on the mark, Rhonda. My son was almost 10 pounds at birth. I gave him cereal in his bottle at one month to enable him to sleep through the night.

Ok, so now I'm thinking you must make the cereal really thin to be able to put it in the bottle? I'm so overwhelmed :huh: I know my mom had really big babies - me and my sister both weighed over 10 pounds - and she said she gave us cereal really early on too. I'm gonna need a book on how to do this stuff :P

Feeding baby cereal? I saw my girlfriend do that so her baby would sleep. I won't be doing that because I don't believe in feeding food to early to my baby. Her baby was only 7 pounds at birth.

jax girl you say that now...trust me when your baby isn't sleeping through the night and you need those couple extra hours to sleep you will be doing the ceral shake combo.....trust me that is how i got both sets of twins to sleep and it was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

Amen!!!!!!

hello Jamie....how are things with you????

Kelly(JG)....i can't wait till mike gets on insurance through his job.....i bay a likkle less then what you pay per month...it sucks!!!!!!!

When do you think that will happen for you?

:lol: you are tttooo funny......like the manager said where he works he will get full time when either someone quits or gets fired....so i hope maybe he can get another gig that pays for insurance...OR after i tell the family i work for that i am preggo and loose my job then maybe I can get a job that pays for insurance......

Oh, that just sucks.

Your employers need to be very careful. Firing for you for being pregnant is no really allowed, is it?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question:

Why is it bad (in Jamaica) to be slapped with a dish towel??? I swatted at Tony with one because he was teasing me and he flipped out! Said something about becoming lazy or something :wacko: Has anyone heard of this before?

Geez, I heard that one as a kid, but would be shocked that a grown person could really take it literally, he must be joking around.

It really means, if you get hit with a dish towel you will become a good for nothing, or just worthless, it's just silly Jamaican superstition, as you all know by now we are not lacking in that area. :blush:

Edited by waynegeraldine

Timeline
Question:

well my jamaican said he never heard of that..... :wacko: then again sometime not sure if he really is jamaican :lol:

Andre said the same thing. When his mom is mad, she just whips out her knife.

She right on the mark, Rhonda. My son was almost 10 pounds at birth. I gave him cereal in his bottle at one month to enable him to sleep through the night.

Ok, so now I'm thinking you must make the cereal really thin to be able to put it in the bottle? I'm so overwhelmed :huh: I know my mom had really big babies - me and my sister both weighed over 10 pounds - and she said she gave us cereal really early on too. I'm gonna need a book on how to do this stuff :P

Feeding baby cereal? I saw my girlfriend do that so her baby would sleep. I won't be doing that because I don't believe in feeding food to early to my baby. Her baby was only 7 pounds at birth.

jax girl you say that now...trust me when your baby isn't sleeping through the night and you need those couple extra hours to sleep you will be doing the ceral shake combo.....trust me that is how i got both sets of twins to sleep and it was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

Amen!!!!!!

hello Jamie....how are things with you????

Kelly(JG)....i can't wait till mike gets on insurance through his job.....i bay a likkle less then what you pay per month...it sucks!!!!!!!

When do you think that will happen for you?

:lol: you are tttooo funny......like the manager said where he works he will get full time when either someone quits or gets fired....so i hope maybe he can get another gig that pays for insurance...OR after i tell the family i work for that i am preggo and loose my job then maybe I can get a job that pays for insurance......

Oh, that just sucks.

Your employers need to be very careful. Firing for you for being pregnant is no really allowed, is it?

oh i am sure i can do something about it....because there is nothing in my contract that says anything about me loosing my job if i become pregnant....so i am not sure what will happen....i am looking to work in day care centers...i found one called La Petite Academy..and guess what they pay for insurance....

oh i am sure i can do something about it....because there is nothing in my contract that says anything about me loosing my job if i become pregnant....so i am not sure what will happen....i am looking to work in day care centers...i found one called La Petite Academy..and guess what they pay for insurance....

You should eventually think of starting your own day care. It's a lot of money to be made. I know in maryland it's about 200 a week per child. CRAZY :wacko:

ok ladies i just made some porridge incorporating marlitas idea! with the cream of wheat its very good i used cream of wheat, water, lasco vanilla soy milk powder, sprinkle of nutmeg, dash of vanilla and a few tablespoons of condensed milk its pretty good

See, easy as pie!

I like the cream of wheat version better than corn meal. Never really liked corn meal. Plus ladies, before you think about giving this to the babies, remember corn doesnt digest. You could have a contipated baby for real Thats why you should not use corn meal, but baby cereal for the little ones. Ever seen a baby poop out a whole kernal of corn.....cause they cant digest it. Actually corn is bad for you, but thats a whole nother story. Popcorn doesnt digest either!

Even adults don't digest corn..But know wahhht..MI WHOLE FAMILY LOVE !!! :)

There some things you can do to make cornmeal digestable, but it's very time consuming, if you read Sallly Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions (which is great by the way), there are some suggestions there, I tried it a few times to make corn bread and cornmeal spoonbread, knowing my fiance she would never go that so I don't even bother, I will do it again when time and money permits. She recommends a lot of soaking in pickling lime.

ok ladies i just made some porridge incorporating marlitas idea! with the cream of wheat its very good i used cream of wheat, water, lasco vanilla soy milk powder, sprinkle of nutmeg, dash of vanilla and a few tablespoons of condensed milk its pretty good

See, easy as pie!

I like the cream of wheat version better than corn meal. Never really liked corn meal. Plus ladies, before you think about giving this to the babies, remember corn doesnt digest. You could have a contipated baby for real Thats why you should not use corn meal, but baby cereal for the little ones. Ever seen a baby poop out a whole kernal of corn.....cause they cant digest it. Actually corn is bad for you, but thats a whole nother story. Popcorn doesnt digest either!

There some things you can do to make cornmeal digestable, but it's very time consuming, if you read Sallly Fallon's book, Nourishing Traditions (which is great by the way), there are some suggestions there, I tried it a few times to make corn bread and cornmeal spoonbread, knowing my fiance she would never go that so I don't even bother, I will do it again when time and money permits. She recommends a lot of soaking in pickling lime.

That doesn't sound like it would taste good.

Timeline
You should eventually think of starting your own day care. It's a lot of money to be made. I know in maryland it's about 200 a week per child. CRAZY :wacko:

i have always thought about that idea....my aunt used to have a day care in her house and it worked out very well for her...it is a idea that may happen sometime down the road.....

See, easy as pie!

That doesn't sound like it would taste good.

Does not affect the taste at all, pickling lime is a powdery substance that you mix with water, I still have few bags, it's cheap and last very long because you just have to use a little. I don't know how it would be with cornmeal porrige but with the cornbread and spoonbread, zero effect.

Timeline

Yah, well, if you had a 10 pound baby who woke up every 2 hours and acted like he was starving to death, you might change your mind. Funny thing is, he's now 15 and he still eats just about every two hours!!!!!!

My son was only 8 lbs 5 oz almost 22 inc long.....but he was always tall and thin. Meaning 95% of height and 25% of weight in the "percentage" scale thing that doctors go by. Depending on your doctor and baby....my doctor said, when Austin is hungry....feed him, doesn't matter what time it is and then when he was able to drink regular milk, give him TONS of vitamin D milk. I didn't breast feed, had absolutely no desire to!! He was "under" weight (per the norm) till he was about 10, then hormones kicked in and puberty started...and out came the weight....but never ever had a problem eating everything and anything. He still eats like a horse...almost 14 and solid rock but he's extreeeemely active boy started that from within !!

Girls....are waaaaay high maintenance !!! Boys...in my opinion, soooooo much easier !!! Shoot especially nowadays....high school, ugh !! I told my parents (at my sons soccer game yesterday), my brother and sis-in-law have no CLUE what they are "in for". They have twin girls that are 6. The girls now.........whoooooa !!!!! Just keep a tight leash (not really that tight), but be VERY VEEERY involved parent) with your boys....gotta be !!!

Timeline
:yes: ...I was about to type the same thing! But, you do have to be really careful about how large you make the whole in the nipple...just like you said JG...Baby could choke! The other thing Rhonda, I wouldn't introduce cornmeal porridge until 7-10 months old. The baby cereal is fine before that, but cornmeal can be hard to digest for a little, little baby.

I'm so nervous. I have a lot to learn :wacko:

You'll be totally fine. My sister worked for a magazine place when I was pregnant, the best magazine to get....even now is Parents Magazine. They have great great tips and loads of advice. Take tons of parenting classes --together, if you can. Read lots of books. I personally loved the book....What to expect when you are expecting and the next one after that, what to expect the 1st year and the toddler one. Those books helped me with soooo many questions. Fortunately Austin wasn't a "sickly" baby. The only major thing he's had done was his tonsils and adenoids came out right around his 5th bday --he had "kissing tonsils". Other than that...... enjoy :thumbs:

I fed my son cereal when he was just 2 1/2 months old.....formula just wasn't cuttin it. Per my doc, totally fine, but I spoon fed him, never gave him any in a bottle.

If you have any questions or need mommy advice, do not hesitate to email me. This stuff doesn't come with a book.... :o

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi all,

I am back from Jamaica :crying::crying: I could not even go to sleep last night. I miss David so much. The good news is we got the visa :dance::dance: The interview was a breeze. I have already post my experience under the embassy review. While David and I waited our turn to be interviewed we had the chance to listen in on several interviews. At any given time 4 or 5 interviews were going on at one time. From what I could hear no one was actually denied. But most had to come back with additional documentation. They were mostly family base visa...parent filing for children stuff like there. I also observed two spouse base visa interview.

1. The husband was there alone..the interview ask him how did he meet his spouse? Apparently a mutual friend set them up. She ask what date was your 1st call to your wife, where she stays when in Jamaica. The age of her kids, Had he every meet her parents. When and did he meet her parent. Who in his family has his wife met? Describe the wedding. Who attend on her side? on his side? She ask for pictures and it went on and on. He was sounding a little nervous but some how he made it thru and was approved. The same chick interview David and I. Before we were called she was the one person that we did not want to call us.

2. The wife was down there. A different lady interviewed this couple. She ask them a couple questions before the rep ask the wife to take sit away from Section C and ask the husband to pick uo the phone. When you talk into the phone no one can really hear what is being ask. The rep talked to him for about 7-10 minutes then the wife was called up and talk for about five minute alone. Finally both the wife and the husband was up there at that time David and I called to be interview. We were never seperated and we were finish only a minute or two after this couple. They got approved but it did appear they were ask tons of questions.

Not sure why these people experience were totally different to David and my interview. We were only asked a couple of really simple questions. How did we meet? and How manay time had David visited the US. PLease see embassy review for additional details.

Again I would like to said thanks for all the support and great info I have gotten from VJ and this thread.

David is not coming up until the end of Oct. He has a lot of loose ends he has to tied down. Since I really want him here with out outstanding issues back in Jamaica I am okay with this timeframe. I will post his POE experience. Since he has been here three time already I don't see a need to fly down to come back with him.

But If i can get one of those dirt cheep ticket who knows.....

Jenice

Congrats!!

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
Question- My hubby is missing cornmeal porridge. Does anyone know how to make it or have a reciepe? Thanks :whistle:

ok ur makin me hungry!~~~ i been on a porridge kick~~~

theres actually a recipe on the back of the Grace cornmeal package too i tried that one it was pretty good

Funny that you guys should mention cornmeal porridge. I've been bugging Tony to make it for me - I've never had it before! He said he would so I bought the cornmeal and some condensed milk. 3 months later, they're still sitting in the cupboard and I still don't know what it tastes like :wacko: I think I will try this recipe and try to make it myself. Thanks.

When he finally gets done, and I am starving, he gives me the bowl. I look at it an am like "hmmmm". I taste it and I'm like...."what the heck! This is basically cream of wheat just made with cornmeal!! Why did it take so long to make!?" So I say you can find a receipe online. To me it wasnt nothing special cause I been making my cream of wheat like that for years now. LOL!

I don't know if I've ever had cream of wheat.... Does the porridge taste like oatmeal?

Oatmeal porridge is good dip w/ some hard dough bread. mmm

Not sure why these people experience were totally different to David and my interview. We were only asked a couple of really simple questions. How did we meet? and How manay time had David visited the US. PLease see embassy review for additional details.

I think this is because you were probably very well prepared. I think those that get questioned to death don't have much evidence or proof of relationship. Therefore, they have to 'prove' the relationship at the interview. Me and Tony were done in under 5 minutes also. Also, when the fiance/spouse attends too, they are also less likely to ask so many darn questions - usually.

It could be or maybe that he has been to the US several times before so he has nothing to gain by lying to the CO.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
I do have to say that all you "Black Friday" shoppers SUCK!!!!! I work at Old Navy and I Hate the friday after Thanksgiving with a passion. While you probably see bargains and fun, I see running around like a chicken with my head cut off, everyone crabby, and rude customers making my life a nightmare. The most exhausting day of the year. Glad it will be my last.

My husband picks up his own health insurance TODAY!!! Woo hoo. I'm looking at December 23rd being the last day I work two jobs. Looking forward to some weekends again.

While you are out doing your after Thanksgiving shopping, make sure you are extra nice to the people in the stores. They are probably having a rough day. Good luck on some good bargains!!!!

You know the whole Black Friday never been my thing. I'm not a morning person, a few yrs ago I sent my dad to get me a DVD player @ Circuit City b/c I refuse to wake up at 3:00 in the morning to shop. BUT this year I'll be in NY so I might have to look into it.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline

See, easy as pie!

I know. Thats what I mean....no one digests corn well, not just babies. Babies and elderly just have a harder time cause of their bodies age. Its just one of those foods that do it to you. I guess cause its so starchy.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Any one know about how much school books should cost for an 8th grader in JA?

The bookstores are online, but unfortunately the prices aren't listed. I saw the price for an A Level Accounting book - J$1550 (this is usually for those who are in 6th form (12th grade)). If you have a list of the books, you can probably email info@kingstonbookshop.com. This is usually cheaper than Sangster's Bookstore. Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Edited by JA Tam

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.