Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok VJ'ers I have an interesting topic....or maybe its just interesting to me.

Anyway, I've noticed that many people file for the K1 fiance visa, meaning that they are not married before their SO comes to the US. I know that the rend was that K1's were faster, but they seem like such a hassle for so long. I mean, you have all this additional paperwork to file once you get to the US, plus you have to rush and marry, adjust status, etc....It just seems like a long time to have Immigration on your back. Thats just my personal opinion, but really has nothing to do with the 'interesting topic' I want to start.

I wanted to know if those VJ'ers that applied for a K1, had some sort of 'wedding' or 'ring' ceremony in Jamaica before their SO came here. If you did, what did you do to celebrate your union in front of the Jamaican family while there.

For those that married in Jamaica first and the SO came here as a spouse, what sort of celebration did you have with the American family. Did you 'marry' twice?

I am getting married in the hometown of my SO, actually i'm getting married in Sav la Mar, but I want to have some sort of ceremony when he gets to the States, so I am looking for examples of what others have done.

(F)

I got married in JA in Oct but it was very small. It was in front of two witnesses (Javon's sister and his brother-in-law). No one knows we are married except for them and my sister and her husband. We decided to keep it low key b/c of the drama that surrounded us when out I-129f petition was denied. We're going to have a bashment/reception in JA before he leaves for both our family and friends that are still in JA. Once he arrives we're going to do the "dream wedding" here in front of family and friends. It's hard keeping it a secret esp when my mom is asking me daily what's going on, but we figure this was the best way for us. Our first priority is immigration right now so once that is done we can plan anything we like.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Anyway, I've noticed that many people file for the K1 fiance visa, meaning that they are not married before their SO comes to the US. I know that the rend was that K1's were faster, but they seem like such a hassle for so long. I mean, you have all this additional paperwork to file once you get to the US, plus you have to rush and marry, adjust status, etc....It just seems like a long time to have Immigration on your back. Thats just my personal opinion, but really has nothing to do with the 'interesting topic' I want to start.

I wanted to know if those VJ'ers that applied for a K1, had some sort of 'wedding' or 'ring' ceremony in Jamaica before their SO came here. If you did, what did you do to celebrate your union in front of the Jamaican family while there.

For those that married in Jamaica first and the SO came here as a spouse, what sort of celebration did you have with the American family. Did you 'marry' twice?

I am getting married in the hometown of my SO, actually i'm getting married in Sav la Mar, but I want to have some sort of ceremony when he gets to the States, so I am looking for examples of what others have done.

(F)

I got married in JA in Oct but it was very small. It was in front of two witnesses (Javon's sister and his brother-in-law). No one knows we are married except for them and my sister and her husband. We decided to keep it low key b/c of the drama that surrounded us when out I-129f petition was denied. We're going to have a bashment/reception in JA before he leaves for both our family and friends that are still in JA. Once he arrives we're going to do the "dream wedding" here in front of family and friends. It's hard keeping it a secret esp when my mom is asking me daily what's going on, but we figure this was the best way for us. Our first priority is immigration right now so once that is done we can plan anything we like.

Oh Nyseness, what the scandal! LOL! I don't know how you are able to hold that secret. I personally didnt tell anyone but my dad. Evan told my mother, who told my sister, who told all her kids, then my dad told my brothers,.... I didnt even get to have an "official" spill the beans ceremony! :angry:

Oh well. So now I am trying to think if I should tell my grandparents cousins and aunts and uncles that I am close to. I know they all wouldnt be able to go to the wedding in JA, so I am wondering if I just leave it a secret from them til I he gets here. Knowing my family they wont be able to keep their mouths shut for too long. I havent had the best support in the whole situation either. Never thought my family would be so close minded, but they constantly seem to amaze me with their ignorance.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

great question marlita! we originally wanted to have a wedding in jamaica. if my friends and family really wanted to come, they could. unfortunately, that's not the case with my fiance. since we're going the k-1 route and are forbidden to marry there i asked him if he'd like to have a fake ceremony there. he said he didn't want to do something if it was "just for show." he suggested that we could go on and have the wedding in the states (because we have to do it that way, lol) and we'd have an engagement party in jamaica.

by the way, who can tell me how to get my ticker to work right? when i copied and pasted the bb link it didn't work here.

Edited by MyDestinyAwaits

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Oh well. So now I am trying to think if I should tell my grandparents cousins and aunts and uncles that I am close to. I know they all wouldnt be able to go to the wedding in JA, so I am wondering if I just leave it a secret from them til I he gets here. Knowing my family they wont be able to keep their mouths shut for too long. I havent had the best support in the whole situation either. Never thought my family would be so close minded, but they constantly seem to amaze me with their ignorance.

marlita i feel you! only with me...my whole family is actually thrilled to death but daddy is a whole other story. i can't touch this topic with a 10 ft pole with him. and it makes me feel like such a coward! even his brothers and sisters are telling me, "forget your dad! you do what makes you happy." i have to admit that it's kinda painful to think that my own father won't walk me down the aisle.

Filed: Timeline

After trouble-shooting some ink cartridge problems I spent a couple of hours typing and printing all of the paperwork that Marlon will need come NOA2 time. I also included the instructions and form for him to submit for his England police certificate (yes JG I am tough from here on out! lol)

I will send him 2 copies of everything so hopefully that will suffice?

As for the affidavit of support, sorry that I forgot, but me and my co-sponsor should fill out both I-134 and I-864 in duplicate to be on the safe side as to new embassy policies?

I got one employment verification, one to go but Blockbuster is giving me the run around :(

I have my tax transcripts from the IRS for 2003-2005 plus my turbo tax info for 2006.

Still need to get a bank letter and print out statements.

Does my co-sponsor need ALL of this as well?

Sorry of I am a pain, I just want to get this paperwork done and OVER with for the time being!

Thanks and much (L) to my VJ Yardie family! :luv:

[Ladies, LISTEN UP! We need to turn this thread back around!! The Yardies are droppin off like flies :help:We want everyone to be comfortable saying whatever they want to say - share, vent, cry, brag, ask questions, WHATEVER! NO MORE NEGATIVE COMMENTS :bonk: Do you guys agree?

You do realize that these are two contradictory statements? :innocent::whistle:

I didn't mean we couldn't say anything negative. I meant to stop bashing one another :bonk: If you don't like what someone writes, just ignore it and move on. You don't have to tell that person what YOU think of her, or her ideas, or her views, or her decisions. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all :blush:

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Just because something you say is “negative” doesn’t mean it has to be said b!tchy, condesending, mean, cruel, judgemental, hurtful, offensive, demeaning, degrading, rude, mean-spirited, aggressive, destructive, detrimental,distressing, harmful, malicious, spiteful, hateful, unkind, upsetting, wounding, antagonistic, bad-natured, petty, vengeful, venomous, vicious, insulting, insinuating, wicked or evil.

Plenty of things can be said that are “negative” in a much nicer, helpful, friendly, affirming, life giving way.

Back in the day we all sure as hell didn’t agree on everything and we all didn’t see eye to eye but we were family and best of friends. We had each others back through EVERYTHING. We were out to be helpful and supportive. Lets get back to that.

Very well said Jamie :blush:

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Boooo Hoooo, where has my sweetie disappeared to? Will the original Man please stand up? This transition is taking its toll, just one week today. Brighter side, he has painted 4 paintings for the house, lovely.

That's what we try to warn everyone about. It really does happen. Hang in there. It WILL get better :thumbs:

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

I see someone else has a husband named Ricardo! That's cool

We don't hear from you for months and that is all you say :no: I don't think so :protest::lol:

Girl how are you doing? How is the mister and those sweet boys? How is your baby girl doing?

We have missed you so much! :luv:

Yeah woman!!! Where you been??? You never come around any more!! Guess what? I'm pregnant!! :goofy: I hope I don't have twins! I don't know how you do it!!!

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

..I've been reading the past couple of days and things have been interesting I see....for good and bad. Not that I'm an expert but I do feel like a a veteran of some sort ( is anyone over 4 years married yet?)...if nothing else I know I've got the most kids by my Jamaican love!!!!

Yes, you are a long-time VETERAN :dance: Me and Tony will be married THREE years this coming December :wub:

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Don't forget thndrdancr (Jill) from June 2005

Her name didn't show because Lake is from Guyana...but still a beloved member of the yardie family :thumbs:

Oh and what about Rita...I don't remember her screen name :blush:

Yeah, speaking of Jill, where has she been? Rita's screen name was/is neveryours2keep.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

JG...just for curiosity sake how much can you get tix for? I think we can get tix from about 75 each way out of the local airport...is that a good deal? I have always wanted to go but the hotel prices are the killer

That sounds like a really good deal Jamie :thumbs: It's a lot more from Detroit. I've never been to Vegas either. It's on our list of places to go.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
GOOD MORNING LADIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :star:

the sun is fianlly out again.....and the wind and rain is gone!!!! so instead of having a wind chill today we just have a chill.... :lol:

Send some of that sunshine to me. It is still drizzling here and I am so sick of it. It will take days for my cellar to dry out. The weekend is looking good.

Have you had a chance to call around for another civil surgeon? Don't take the word of the first one you talk to. WE have spent enough and don't need to pay anymore than we have to.

Good luck.

WE ARE DONE!!!

(F)

We didn't have any sort of ceremony in Jamaica. I hoped that we could get married in Jamaica but that was shot down. I think we'll have to settle for returning to Jamaica once he's able to travel and having some sort of reception there. It bothers me that his family wouldn't be able to be at the wedding. :(

Just starting the journey, haven't yet filed... Until today(2/12/07)!

K-1

2/12/07 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Priority w/ Delivery Confirmation

2/16/07 - VSC received package

2/22/07 - Check has been deposited, now I can track!

2/23/07 - NOA1 Received via snail mail

3/9/07 - NOA2 via email!

3/15/07 - NOA2 via snail mail

3/19/07 - Called NVC, case sent to embassy on 3/15/07

4/19/07 - DS230 submitted to embassy

4/30/07 - Email from embassy: Interview scheduled for 6/19/07!

5/30/07 - Medical

6/19/07 - Interview!!! - Approved!!!

7/6/07 - VISA delivered!!!

7/21/07 - Fiance arrives

AOS

11/30/07 - Mailed packet Priority w/signature

12/2/07 - Received in Chicago

12/7/07 - Check cashed

12/10/07 - Received 3 NOA1s via snail mail

12/27/07 - RFE - Tax returns

12/27/07 - RFE returned

1/3/08 - RFE received at Lee's Summit

1/8/08 - I-485 Receipt # shows up in case status

1/15/08 - Case transferred to CSC

1/30/08 - Email: EAD Card production ordered

2/1/08 - Email: AP approval

2/8/08 - EAD card received

4/4/08 - RFE for full medical

6/9/08 - RFE received at CSC (according to USPS)

6/16/08 - RFE received at CSC (according to USCIS)

6/19/08 - Card production ordered

6/24/08 - Approval email & Welcome letter in mail

6/26/08 - Card arrives in the mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.