Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Ok, I just googled cornmeal porridge and found another recipe on jamaican-recipes.com Ladies let me know if this sounds all right. Here it is:

Cornmeal Porridge

1 cup Yellow Cornmeal (coarse or fine)

4 cups Water

¼ cup Half and Half (or Milk)

½ cup Sweetened Condensed Milk

2 tbsp. Sugar

¼ tsp. Nutmeg (ground)

¼ tsp. Cinnamon (ground)

Vanilla Flavoring (2 drops)

Add cornmeal to a bowl, and then pour enough water into the bowl to cover the cornmeal. Use a fork to mix the cornmeal in the bowl to let the water and cornmeal mix loose and watery.

Bring the 4 cups of water to boil in a saucepan. Turn the heat to medium.

Slowly pour the water and cornmeal into the saucepan while stirring with a fork. You will have to stir the mix continuously for about 3 minutes. Make figure eight patterns if you like; this will stop the cornmeal from forming lumps. Be careful from this point on.

The porridge will splash and burn your hand if the heat is too high. Turn the fire down even more if the splashes from the pot become large. Cover the pot and let simmer for about twenty minutes. Occasionally stiring the mixture in the pot.

Turn off the fire but do not remove the pot from the stove. Now add all the ingredients, except the nutmeg. Stir to sweeten this Jamaican porridge and then taste it. Add more ingredients of your choice to get the desired taste. Serve in small soup bowls and sprinkle with ground nutmeg.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Ok, I just googled cornmeal porridge and found another recipe on jamaican-recipes.com Ladies let me know if this sounds all right. Here it is:

Cornmeal Porridge

4 cups Water

2 tbsp. Sugar

¼ tsp. Nutmeg (ground)

¼ tsp. Cinnamon (ground)

Add cornmeal to a bowl, and then pour enough water into the bowl to cover the cornmeal. Use a fork to mix the cornmeal in the bowl to let the water and cornmeal mix loose and watery.

Slowly pour the water and cornmeal into the saucepan while stirring with a fork. You will have to stir the mix continuously for about 3 minutes. Make figure eight patterns if you like; this will stop the cornmeal from forming lumps. Be careful from this point on.

The porridge will splash and burn your hand if the heat is too high. Turn the fire down even more if the splashes from the pot become large. Cover the pot and let simmer for about twenty minutes. Occasionally stiring the mixture in the pot.

Turn off the fire but do not remove the pot from the stove. Now add all the ingredients, except the nutmeg. Stir to sweeten this Jamaican porridge and then taste it. Add more ingredients of your choice to get the desired taste. Serve in small soup bowls and sprinkle with ground nutmeg.

Hi, like Rhonda...I couldn't stay away...I missed you guys! :blush:

Anyway...the above receipe is dead on for cornmeal porridge! Just don't forget to keep stirring... or it will get clumpy and lumpy! Keep the fire low after you put the cornmeal in...Viola!! Yummy Yummy...I used to make it for my sons when they were babies, usually at the 10-11pm feeding...when they turned 7-8 months...I used their formula instead of milk!

Trust me Rhonda, it's something to keep in mind...cause it holds them! My sons slept through the night after they had their cornmeal bottle! :yes: And Mommy could finally get a full nights sleep! :yes:

Now I make it for Saturday morning breakfast! With some buttered Hardo bread and we are good to go!!!! YUM!

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

This is funny.....Andrew and I were discussing porridge yesterday.....I have never had porridge here in the States.......So I was curious how to make it for him when he gets here......Thanks!

March 17, 2007 Married Ocho Rios, Jamaica

April 12, 2007 Filed I-130 for husband

Vermont Service Center via DHL

May 9, 2007 Automated System says received I-130

May 15, 2007 Received NOA1

July 2, 2007 I-130 Approved (Automated System)

July 9, 2007 Received Approval Notice in mail

August 13, 2007 DS-3032 sent to Andrew & I received AOS bill

August 14, 2007 Paid AOS $70 via DHL

August 21, 2007 Returned DS-3032 from Jamaica via regular mail

September 4, 2007 Received I-864 in mail

September 5, 2007 Returned I-864 via DHL

September 11, 2007 Received DS-3032 Agent of Choice

September 17, 2007 IV Bill Generated

September 20, 2007 Touched (RFE) Missing Documents/Information

They are missing $380 IV Bill which I haven't received as of yet

October 1, 2007 IV Bill Received in the Mail

October 2, 2007 Paid IV Bill via USPS 2nd day delivery

October 3, 2007 IV Bill delivered at 11:07pm to St. Louis P.O. Box

October 5, 2007 IV Bill processed

October 11, 2007 DS-230 Visa Application is scheduled to be mailed this week1111

Sending it to Andrew via DHL International

THE JOURNEY IS COMING TO AN END THAT SEEMS LIKE IT HAS TAKEN FOREVER!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
You are no longer worth the effort or my VALUABLE time to sit down and respond to your obilivious statements.

You've GOT to be kidding me!!!!

This forum was started for US to have a place to help each other -- not BASH each other every chance we get.

What is wrong with someone having an opinion? That's just fine if you don't agree with it but do we have to get so nasty?

I have been around (and been a party to) plenty of prejudice in my life. It is what it is. Yeah, it's a shame that in this day and age things like this still go on -- I am sorry for that. I really am. But I don't go around making it worse. Whatever......

Ya know Mindy.....I TOTALLY miss the good ole days when we used to laugh, joke, support, be caring, etc etc and not have ANY of this BS drama on here !!!!! Where the heck are all of our "veterans"????!!!

For real! I may not be an oldie but I have been here for a year now and this board sure has changed! I opt to only discuss issues pertinent to the imigration process but sometimes other stuff. As far as my personal views about politics and whatnot, I keep to myself. I really have enjoyed this board up until now but seeing how things are going I may stop. I really care about all of you and I hate to see attacks! Can't we all just get along?

Hey FutureMrs!

You don't really know me...because I was still catching up when you were preparing to leave. Anywooo...so how is FutureMr. adapting to his new environments? What things really shocked him? Did he oooo and aah at the tall buildings? How does he and your roommate get along? Yes, I am very nosey...but I know all of us are dying to hear some cute stories. :yes::dance::blush:

Hiya Jawi!

Marlon is adapting well to his new environment. He does not like the Arizona heat but thankfully it is starting to cool down! As JG told you, he previously had lived in the UK so no huge shockers. He's entertaining himself by watching lots of movies and surfing the web. He's eager to start work too. Cute stories, hmmmmm.... We were at my favorite Chinese resteraunt yesterday and he had just read his fortune cookie. He sat there with a questioning look and asked, "What does don't matter mean?" I looked at his fortune cookie and he was reading the opposite side! Sure gave me a good giggle! Other than that we are anxiously awaiting the big day!

I get so happy when i read everyones stories of getting approvals and setting wedding dates...Love is grand aint it :) The best ones are the arrival to the US. I am dying for us to get on the plane togther instead of me waving by at the security gate, and turning around ten times till i cant see him no more and then getting on the plane and lookint down at the island and the water till i cant see that anymore either..... :crying:

Oh, girl I feel for you. Andre lived right on the other side of the airport. Not only was I crying when I waved bye to him at security and did all that looking back; but if I looked out the left side of the plane, I could see him and his family waving to me as we took off.

Yours will soon come. Just keep the faith.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Cornmeal Porridge

4 cups Water

2 tbsp. Sugar

¼ tsp. Nutmeg (ground)

¼ tsp. Cinnamon (ground)

Anyway...the above receipe is dead on for cornmeal porridge! Just don't forget to keep stirring... or it will get clumpy and lumpy! Keep the fire low after you put the cornmeal in...Viola!! Yummy Yummy...I used to make it for my sons when they were babies, usually at the 10-11pm feeding...when they turned 7-8 months...I used their formula instead of milk!

Trust me Rhonda, it's something to keep in mind...cause it holds them! My sons slept through the night after they had their cornmeal bottle! :yes: And Mommy could finally get a full nights sleep! :yes:

Now I make it for Saturday morning breakfast! With some buttered Hardo bread and we are good to go!!!! YUM!

Gill

UM whats ur address again lol ill be ova for breafast!! lol and expect me to stay to dinner too ok now i need to know how to make that sauce for tht sweet and sour chicken! and also the brown stew chicken sauce help anyone! i tried the recipes online and it not the same!!

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

Timeline
ok one more post and i promise ill shut up lol im on a roll today now tell me why.... i only really eat egg sandwiches and KFC hotwings when i go to jamaica lol i hate KFC here but i swear they do somethin special to the hot wings and fries and those eggs must be laid by a golden hen cuz i never tasted an egg so good in america lol lol they laugh at me cuz thats what i order...i dont even want any of the other food well unless its steam fish or friend fish or the mix veg with the pak chow have u guys been to Nyam N Jam in Mobay downtown thats me and chris spot we met there awwww they have the best fried chicken with sweet and sour sauce... if anyone has that recipe for that sauce please let me know ok u can tell im hungry right :) no lunch at work.....

Man I say that about the Pepsi! I like a pepsi everynow and then when I'm home but in JA i crave it! Stopping at every little raodside stand to get one. Freakin out when they dont have any cold ones! I swear they put crack in the Pepsi down there, casue I am addicted to it!

:lol::lol: i know what you mean!!! the only rice and peas i like is the way mike's mom cooks them....the other nite i was CRAVING it so bad mike made some...YUCK....i only ate a spoonfull....i was tempted to get on a plane just to get some....and the burger king in OCHI....like your golden hen...must be a golden cow they take the meat from....

Now, see, I don't like the hamburgers in JA. The meat is almost sweet to me. Like they put some sugar in it or something.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

I get so happy when i read everyones stories of getting approvals and setting wedding dates...Love is grand aint it :) The best ones are the arrival to the US. I am dying for us to get on the plane togther instead of me waving by at the security gate, and turning around ten times till i cant see him no more and then getting on the plane and lookint down at the island and the water till i cant see that anymore either..... :crying:

Oh, girl I feel for you. Andre lived right on the other side of the airport. Not only was I crying when I waved bye to him at security and did all that looking back; but if I looked out the left side of the plane, I could see him and his family waving to me as we took off.

Yours will soon come. Just keep the faith.

:blink: ok this is me tryin to sleep lol girl i cant wait!!! days are ticking by fast right...

ok one more post and i promise ill shut up lol im on a roll today now tell me why.... i only really eat egg sandwiches and KFC hotwings when i go to jamaica lol i hate KFC here but i swear they do somethin special to the hot wings and fries and those eggs must be laid by a golden hen cuz i never tasted an egg so good in america lol lol they laugh at me cuz thats what i order...i dont even want any of the other food well unless its steam fish or friend fish or the mix veg with the pak chow have u guys been to Nyam N Jam in Mobay downtown thats me and chris spot we met there awwww they have the best fried chicken with sweet and sour sauce... if anyone has that recipe for that sauce please let me know ok u can tell im hungry right :) no lunch at work.....

Man I say that about the Pepsi! I like a pepsi everynow and then when I'm home but in JA i crave it! Stopping at every little raodside stand to get one. Freakin out when they dont have any cold ones! I swear they put crack in the Pepsi down there, casue I am addicted to it!

:lol::lol: i know what you mean!!! the only rice and peas i like is the way mike's mom cooks them....the other nite i was CRAVING it so bad mike made some...YUCK....i only ate a spoonfull....i was tempted to get on a plane just to get some....and the burger king in OCHI....like your golden hen...must be a golden cow they take the meat from....

Now, see, I don't like the hamburgers in JA. The meat is almost sweet to me. Like they put some sugar in it or something.

Had one at the wexford where i was staying i did not recognize any form of beef in it i dunno what it was i sent it back and opted for somethin else. Never tried any burger since.

K-1 2007

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

Naturalization 2017

Timeline
Morning everyone!

This is TOTALLY :ot: but I'm glad.

I just read this in the Gleaner. :reading: It's really sad but just another realization that you don't know if you will be alive to see tomorrow. Since the school year started last month, four students have passed away and thats just on MY college's campus. I give God the blessings for allowing me (along with you and the rest of the world) the opportunity of seeing a new day :)

Deadliest Period In Jamaica

Oh, and can everyone refrain from comments like "you're too stupid to understand" and "you need to get a life". It is possible to state your opinion without putting directly putting someone down. (L)

Just a question for you ladies (and gents)...I like to plan ahead and am thinking of what to get my SO for Christmas. I'm a BIG black Friday shopper so I want to get his gift then while prices are good. Anybody want to share what you plan on getting your SO or what you've got them in the past? And what they got you?

--Sorry about the doublepost--

Last year, Andre wanted only clothes and shoes. For his birthday he wanted a watch. This year for Christmas he wants a chain with some bling on it and one other thing that I can't quite remember right now.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Question- My hubby is missing cornmeal porridge. Does anyone know how to make it or have a reciepe? Thanks :whistle:

How come he doesn't know how to make this? Andre makes it for me all the time.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Cornmeal Porridge

4 cups Water

2 tbsp. Sugar

¼ tsp. Nutmeg (ground)

¼ tsp. Cinnamon (ground)

Gill

She right on the mark, Rhonda. My son was almost 10 pounds at birth. I gave him cereal in his bottle at one month to enable him to sleep through the night.

Cornmeal Porridge

4 cups Water

2 tbsp. Sugar

¼ tsp. Nutmeg (ground)

¼ tsp. Cinnamon (ground)

Andre uses condensed milk only in his. No half and half. And, he does not like cinnamon or nutmeg. So, none of that.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

I do have to say that all you "Black Friday" shoppers SUCK!!!!! I work at Old Navy and I Hate the friday after Thanksgiving with a passion. While you probably see bargains and fun, I see running around like a chicken with my head cut off, everyone crabby, and rude customers making my life a nightmare. The most exhausting day of the year. Glad it will be my last.

My husband picks up his own health insurance TODAY!!! Woo hoo. I'm looking at December 23rd being the last day I work two jobs. Looking forward to some weekends again.

While you are out doing your after Thanksgiving shopping, make sure you are extra nice to the people in the stores. They are probably having a rough day. Good luck on some good bargains!!!!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Question- My hubby is missing cornmeal porridge. Does anyone know how to make it or have a reciepe? Thanks :whistle:

How come he doesn't know how to make this? Andre makes it for me all the time.

Craig's made it a couple of times....yuck. I had found a recipe and he said, oh ...that's different than mine. I had to laugh, cause he was missing half the ingredients !

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I do have to say that all you "Black Friday" shoppers SUCK!!!!! I work at Old Navy and I Hate the friday after Thanksgiving with a passion. While you probably see bargains and fun, I see running around like a chicken with my head cut off, everyone crabby, and rude customers making my life a nightmare. The most exhausting day of the year. Glad it will be my last.

My husband picks up his own health insurance TODAY!!! Woo hoo. I'm looking at December 23rd being the last day I work two jobs. Looking forward to some weekends again.

While you are out doing your after Thanksgiving shopping, make sure you are extra nice to the people in the stores. They are probably having a rough day. Good luck on some good bargains!!!!

I have to say that I am one of those crazies!! :lol: Love Black Friday...last year I missed it cause I was in JA. :angry: ...I was screwed up for the whole holiday season! The best part for me is by 9am on Black Friday morning I am DONE with all of my Christmas shopping! I am a horrible procrastinated, so it works for me. Last year, I was running around on Christmas Eve, convincing myself that oven mitts were the BEST present for my Aunts (cause that's all they had left in the store :blink: ) Never Again! Usually, I am one of those crazies that wakes-up at 1am to be on line by 2am anxiously awaiting Black Friday shopping to commence :lol: !

Gill

Edited by Deyoungting

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline

I have to say that I am one of those crazies!! :lol: Love Black Friday...last year I missed it cause I was in JA. :angry: ...I was screwed up for the whole holiday season! The best part for me is by 9am on Black Friday morning I am DONE with all of my Christmas shopping! I am a horrible procrastinated, so it works for me. Last year, I was running around on Christmas Eve, convincing myself that oven mitts were the BEST present for my Aunts (cause that's all they had left in the store :blink: ) Never Again! Usually, I am one of those crazies that wakes-up at 1am to be on line by 2am anxiously awaiting Black Friday shopping to commence :lol: !

Gill

We had $49 cashmere sweaters last year on Black Friday. Talk about crazies....they were literally tugging them between two people, pushing and shoving. It was crazy.

From working in retail, I usually just shop the internet and go into stores mostly for gift cards. Not a big fan of stores much anymore.

I will probably make you sick saying this.....since you are so last minute.....I am making all my Christmas presents this year. Over the years, I have dabbled in making some presents. This year, I am making nearly ALL of them. I've been working on them for months now. I will only need to shop for my husband, my kids, and a few misc. gift cards and I'll be well done with all that before Thanksgiving and probably do most of it by the internet and have them bring it all to me. I love my UPS man!!!!!!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

Gill

We had $49 cashmere sweaters last year on Black Friday. Talk about crazies....they were literally tugging them between two people, pushing and shoving. It was crazy.

From working in retail, I usually just shop the internet and go into stores mostly for gift cards. Not a big fan of stores much anymore.

I will probably make you sick saying this.....since you are so last minute.....I am making all my Christmas presents this year. Over the years, I have dabbled in making some presents. This year, I am making nearly ALL of them. I've been working on them for months now. I will only need to shop for my husband, my kids, and a few misc. gift cards and I'll be well done with all that before Thanksgiving and probably do most of it by the internet and have them bring it all to me. I love my UPS man!!!!!!

I may be pretty broke this christmas so everyone just may get a homemade cake and cookies ! and a card or one gift for the house

K-1 2007

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

Naturalization 2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.