Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Anyone ever watch the Discovery Channel?

I was watching "Killer Ants" Saturday night. Those things are so dang scary. I KNOW if I had met Andre in Tasmania and then saw that show, I would not have been back to visit him no matter what.

JG,

You're better than me I HATE bugs...I mean HATE them. When I'm down in JA. Every night Ken has to do a bug check in the bedroom & bathroom, before I will step foot in there! It's serious...I have embarassed myself on many an occassion because I saw a roach or something crawling my way! :yes:

So to sit down and watch a WHOLE show on Ants and how they can probably kill you...is just not what my cup of tea...ATALL!!! :lol:

Gill

at mikes i used to do a bug check all the time bathroom, kitchen area and before we went to bed just to make sure....i could deal with the ants and long as mike would clean up after himself and there wasn't a whole clony begining on the counter....the bath room i used to go as fast as i could and bring a shoe with me....and the same w/ the shower used to take a shower in sandels just incase something came at me

Edited by nannygirl82

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Can I vent for a minute

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF COOKING..DUMPLIN, RICE, CHICKEN (CURRY,STEWED, BAKED,BBQ), FISH SHRIMP, CABBAGE AND CALALOO EVERY FREAKING WEEK..I WANT A CHANGE :bonk::crying::ranting: and he doesn't want to try any other dish..like Italian or anything ..he's driving me nuts and I LOVE pasta

Emil will not eat anything American but Popeyes Chicken and Red Lobster Shrimp he's been here almost a year. Drives me absolutely crazy my grocery bill is extremely high due to Dasheen,Yellow Yam and Red Snapper. We have to cook seperate meals in my house sometime because I can"t eat the same FOOD all the time. I am a Georgia Girl I like my Collard Greens and PORK RIBS :devil: sometimes. Fa true his meals are healthier but we fry everything in GA, tomatoes, okra, bologna, pickles :lol: . Hang in there because it might not change!!!!

Andre found he likes Talapia, salmon, and catfish. No more expensive Red Snapper for us. Woo hoo!!!!!

I was watching "Killer Ants" Saturday night. Those things are so dang scary. I KNOW if I had met Andre in Tasmania and then saw that show, I would not have been back to visit him no matter what.

JG,

You're better than me I HATE bugs...I mean HATE them. When I'm down in JA. Every night Ken has to do a bug check in the bedroom & bathroom, before I will step foot in there! It's serious...I have embarassed myself on many an occassion because I saw a roach or something crawling my way! :yes:

So to sit down and watch a WHOLE show on Ants and how they can probably kill you...is just not what my cup of tea...ATALL!!! :lol:

Gill

at mikes i used to do a bug check all the time bathroom, kitchen area and before we went to bed just to make sure....i could deal with the ants and long as mike would clean up after himself and there wasn't a whole clony begining on the counter....the bath room i used to go as fast as i could and bring a shoe with me....and the same w/ the shower used to take a shower in sandels just incase something came at me

A shoe? You are killing me here!

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Can I vent for a minute

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF COOKING..DUMPLIN, RICE, CHICKEN (CURRY,STEWED, BAKED,BBQ), FISH SHRIMP, CABBAGE AND CALALOO EVERY FREAKING WEEK..I WANT A CHANGE :bonk::crying::ranting: and he doesn't want to try any other dish..like Italian or anything ..he's driving me nuts and I LOVE pasta

Emil will not eat anything American but Popeyes Chicken and Red Lobster Shrimp he's been here almost a year. Drives me absolutely crazy my grocery bill is extremely high due to Dasheen,Yellow Yam and Red Snapper. We have to cook seperate meals in my house sometime because I can"t eat the same FOOD all the time. I am a Georgia Girl I like my Collard Greens and PORK RIBS :devil: sometimes. Fa true his meals are healthier but we fry everything in GA, tomatoes, okra, bologna, pickles :lol: . Hang in there because it might not change!!!!

Andre found he likes Talapia, salmon, and catfish. No more expensive Red Snapper for us. Woo hoo!!!!!

JG,

Gill

A shoe? You are killing me here!

it's true...mike used to look at me like i was crazy....but i need something to protect myself :lol: one time i was in the bathroom and mike thought it would be funny to sneak around back and throw in one of those gecko's at me...it landed it the sink and i screamed so loud that a neighor of his came over to make sure everything was ok..

JG,

Gill

When i visited Emil he was living in a house were only one room was finshed. The bedroom!!!!!. The rest of the house was open to anything that walked. In the bathroom was only a toilet you had to shower outside so not only were there bugs watching you but also the whole Da## neighborhood, OH LORD the good ole days :blink: . One night i woke -up to go to the bathroom and there was a man sitting in the kitchen JESUS!!

I will take bugs any day :whistle: .

Then you would've hated Andre's bathroom......it was like an outhouse back behind the house. Outdoor shower a little ways back from it. No way to avoid bugs. I used to be more skittish. Now, not so much.

I do hate buzzing things.....they inevitably find my ears.

For real on the ants. They were so scary.

067-1.jpg

080.jpg Want some

089-1.jpg I am hot

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have a question. I have 8 of the last 12 months worth of bank statements. Will that be enough for my I-864ez packet?

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline

JG u r killing me.. :lol: 1st I love the discovery channel, and it saw that episode on killer ants how they eat the ppl animals...I HATE ALL, EVERY ANY bugs..can't stand them can't look at them nothing. I am afraid of ROACHES..seriouly..my husband thinks i'm pathetic. I can watch they just can't be near me...although they still make my skin crawl..

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline

JG,

Gill

This is so funny that you guys are talking about this. When I was in JA for the past month it was horrible!! I swear bugs i have never seen before coming at me from all kinds of directions. They seemed to smell me and know I was a visitor and follow me whereever i went. I used a mosquito net at night which helped until they got stuck INSIDE the net with me@!!

One night Evan was came in the bedroom eating a bowl of cereal, I am in the bed, under my mosquito net, he walks towards the bed eating his cereal talking to me and when he gets beside the bed he yells ..."Ah!!", like he stubbed his toe. Then he looks at his foot thats about under the bed, and next thing you know he yells..."Oh-$H%!" I have NEVER heard him curse so it scared me half to death. He then looks at me with this serious face and says "come here, hurry, hurry, come here!!" I am scared out of my mind now thinking some sort of animal is under the bed and it just bit his foot. I as him to tell what it is but he just keeps saying come here, in this hurried tone. The he reaches for me and lifts me off the bed in a cradled baby position, so I dont touch the ground. He places me on the opposite side of the room, and runs out to get his uncle yelling some stuff in patois that i could not understand, still not answering my question about what is under the bed. They come into the room with brooms and flashlights whispering in patois about forty-leg something or another. Turned out it was a "forty-leg" that pinched his toe and ran up under the bed. I guess its some sort of Jamaican insect with forty legs and pinchers that resembles a garden snake. The riped the bed apart, covers, matteress, and never found this forty-leg critter.

I was so freaked out after that cause Evan was acting completely obsessed and he never cares about bugs or what not. Needless to say I kept a rug by the gap under our front door so no more forty-legs could get through.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Timeline
HAhaaaa....I like turkey bacon maself...also turkey hot dogs...

Girl, no ! PORK !...that is like telling him a cuss word... :lol::lol: He's making calalloo today !! :angry:

Do they even still have pigs or hogs in JA., because to me it's like NO ONE eats it there anymore! Ken is the same way, NO PORK!!! And every now and then I love myself some bacon (shhhhhhhhh) :o ...I'll have to eat it on the DL when he arrives. Typically, I use turkey bacon, but just every now and then...real bacon hits the SPOT!!

Gill

Gill

I love to put pieces of turkey bacon into Ackee & Saltfish or jus' cook-up saltfish & callaloo. Can you tell I'm hungry?? :lol:

Gill

:lol: ...I know

Oh, thank God for Andre. I seriously do not have to sneak anything. He eats just about everything...probably more things then I will eat.

I have a friend who was angry at her Jamaican husband and every now and then would throw in some meat he swore he was "allergic" to in the meal she was cooking just for spite. He never died.

And the moral of that story... :lol::lol::lol: ...don't mess with the person cooking your meals!

Gill

Ok ladies where are you getting this ackee and saltfish from?!! I havent looked to deeply yet, but I cannot find it. Are you bringing it from JA, or is there a place where you live or an online store. Help a sista out, cause my mouth is salivating!!

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
HAhaaaa....I like turkey bacon maself...also turkey hot dogs...

Girl, no ! PORK !...that is like telling him a cuss word... :lol::lol: He's making calalloo today !! :angry:

Do they even still have pigs or hogs in JA., because to me it's like NO ONE eats it there anymore! Ken is the same way, NO PORK!!! And every now and then I love myself some bacon (shhhhhhhhh) :o ...I'll have to eat it on the DL when he arrives. Typically, I use turkey bacon, but just every now and then...real bacon hits the SPOT!!

Gill

Gill

I love to put pieces of turkey bacon into Ackee & Saltfish or jus' cook-up saltfish & callaloo. Can you tell I'm hungry?? :lol:

Gill

:lol: ...I know

Oh, thank God for Andre. I seriously do not have to sneak anything. He eats just about everything...probably more things then I will eat.

I have a friend who was angry at her Jamaican husband and every now and then would throw in some meat he swore he was "allergic" to in the meal she was cooking just for spite. He never died.

And the moral of that story... :lol::lol::lol: ...don't mess with the person cooking your meals!

Gill

Ok ladies where are you getting this ackee and saltfish from?!! I havent looked to deeply yet, but I cannot find it. Are you bringing it from JA, or is there a place where you live or an online store. Help a sista out, cause my mouth is salivating!!

Hey Marlita,

They typically have it in West Indian Grocery markets. I'm not to sure what the Jamaican community is like in Cali. But wherever you find a large amount of J'cans or West Indians...you will probably find a grocery market and Ackee within it!

Or you can order it online at:

You may want to try: http://www.wifglobal.com/Ackee.htm ($11 per can) or http://www.jamaicastores.com/cart.php?

act=cart (10.00 per can).

Good Luck,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline
I HATE ALL, EVERY ANY bugs..can't stand them can't look at them nothing. I am afraid of ROACHES..seriouly..my husband thinks i'm pathetic. I can watch they just can't be near me...although they still make my skin crawl..

:lol: I am scared of Roaches too!! It really doesn't matter what kind of bug it is I'm scared of them all :crying:

I remember the first time I stayed in yard, I needed to use the bathroom.... Neil said let me go check it out first.

The went in there and came back and asked me if I was scared of BATS :blink: All I could think was #######?? Bats in the house?? Oh lawd I can't stay here! But I had to go something wicked! He said come here and look.. I tiptoed to the bathroom and peeked in... What I seen wasn't no bats, they were moths :lol: All I could do is laugh at him and tell that those weren't bats and explain to him what a bats in the states look like... But none the less I'm scared of those too so he had to run them out.

On my last trip there, he had left to go to the cook shop (it was night time) when he opened the door to leave some kind of huge flying bug with green eyes flew in. You talk aboout scared... Boy I wanted to cry!! I stayed totally under the cover sweating too death until he came back! Of course he thought that was funny too :angry:

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

12-19-2012-NVC Received Case

01-06-2012-Case Number

01-25-2012-Case Completed

02-21-2012-Medical

03-06-2012-Interview--APPROVED

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/26/2014-Package Received

02/28/2014-NOA1 Hard Copy

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

03/25/2014-Biometrics Appt

06/04/2014-RFE Sent more info back on 07/29/2014

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Timeline

JG,

Gill

This is so funny that you guys are talking about this. When I was in JA for the past month it was horrible!! I swear bugs i have never seen before coming at me from all kinds of directions. They seemed to smell me and know I was a visitor and follow me whereever i went. I used a mosquito net at night which helped until they got stuck INSIDE the net with me@!!

One night Evan was came in the bedroom eating a bowl of cereal, I am in the bed, under my mosquito net, he walks towards the bed eating his cereal talking to me and when he gets beside the bed he yells ..."Ah!!", like he stubbed his toe. Then he looks at his foot thats about under the bed, and next thing you know he yells..."Oh-$H%!" I have NEVER heard him curse so it scared me half to death. He then looks at me with this serious face and says "come here, hurry, hurry, come here!!" I am scared out of my mind now thinking some sort of animal is under the bed and it just bit his foot. I as him to tell what it is but he just keeps saying come here, in this hurried tone. The he reaches for me and lifts me off the bed in a cradled baby position, so I dont touch the ground. He places me on the opposite side of the room, and runs out to get his uncle yelling some stuff in patois that i could not understand, still not answering my question about what is under the bed. They come into the room with brooms and flashlights whispering in patois about forty-leg something or another. Turned out it was a "forty-leg" that pinched his toe and ran up under the bed. I guess its some sort of Jamaican insect with forty legs and pinchers that resembles a garden snake. The riped the bed apart, covers, matteress, and never found this forty-leg critter.

I was so freaked out after that cause Evan was acting completely obsessed and he never cares about bugs or what not. Needless to say I kept a rug by the gap under our front door so no more forty-legs could get through.

Ok, just your story alone has me creeped out!! What deh Ras is a 40 legs? You know what forget it... I don't think I EVEN want to know! :lol: YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!! They always come around and RUIN everything! Poor guy can't even enjoy a bowl of cereal! :no:

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline

I have found one store here where we live that sells some things from the Island.. A tin of ackee is $14.

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

01-06-2012-Case Number

02-21-2012-Medical

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Timeline
I HATE ALL, EVERY ANY bugs..can't stand them can't look at them nothing. I am afraid of ROACHES..seriouly..my husband thinks i'm pathetic. I can watch they just can't be near me...although they still make my skin crawl..

:lol: I am scared of Roaches too!! It really doesn't matter what kind of bug it is I'm scared of them all :crying:

I remember the first time I stayed in yard, I needed to use the bathroom.... Neil said let me go check it out first.

The went in there and came back and asked me if I was scared of BATS :blink: All I could think was #######?? Bats in the house?? Oh lawd I can't stay here! But I had to go something wicked! He said come here and look.. I tiptoed to the bathroom and peeked in... What I seen wasn't no bats, they were moths :lol: All I could do is laugh at him and tell that those weren't bats and explain to him what a bats in the states look like... But none the less I'm scared of those too so he had to run them out.

On my last trip there, he had left to go to the cook shop (it was night time) when he opened the door to leave some kind of huge flying bug with green eyes flew in. You talk aboout scared... Boy I wanted to cry!! I stayed totally under the cover sweating too death until he came back! Of course he thought that was funny too :angry:

OMG!! LOL That Is TOO DYAM FUNNY!!! :lol::lol: . Happy to know that I am not the only one that will freak out in a moments notice if one of those things comes my way!! Just picturing you under the covers sweating you butt off waiting for your hero to come back and kill the bug, has me crying...because that would definately be something I would do! :lol::lol: -Thanks for the chuckle

Bless, (L) -Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline
He eats just about everything...probably more things then I will eat.

I thought I was going to have a problem feeding Neil too, but thank goodness he pretty much liked everything :dance:

The one thing that he had a big problem with was the fish, and that is his preference in meat.. I brought so many different types of fish and finally found one, he like talopia (sp?) The one thing he won't eat is spagetthi he doesn't like it at all, and that is one of my favorites.

USCIS

06-28-2011-Mailed I-130

07-03-2011-NOA1

12-08-2011-NOA2

NVC

01-06-2012-Case Number

02-21-2012-Medical

03-13-2012-VISA RECEIVED

03-16-2012-POE ATL

ROC

02/24/2014-Mailed I-751

02/28/2014-Check Cashed

09/04/2014 ROC Approved

Timeline
Can I vent for a minute

Girl u betta cook your food!!!! Its all about compromise and the sooner he realizes it...the better the relationship will be!!!!

Visa Journey

Service Center :

Consulate : Jamaica

03-13-2009 : Married

10-16-2009: I-130 Sent to Chicago

10-18-2009: I-130 Delivered

10-23-2009: Cashed check

10-23-2009: NOA1

10-27-2009: Touched

02-08-2010: NOA2!! APPROVED!! email/text received

02-13-2010: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC JOURNEY

02-12-2010: NVC Case # assigned

02-15-2010: email address given to NVC operator

02-22-2010: AOS/DS3032 email received by NVC

02-22-2010: AOS $70 bill paid

02-22-2010: DS3032 Hardcopy Fedx

02-23-2010: DS3032 received signed for by K.STLAURENT

03-04-2010: DS3032 accepted and system updated

03-04-2010: paid IV bill

took a long time to send in ppwk due to husband's birth certificate delay :(

got birth certificate FINALLY!!!

didn't keep good records...sent in the ppwk and got a RFE for copy of passport

06-24-2010: NVC received the form I forgot to send ...oops

08-02-2010: still waiting on a case complete.....ughhhhh

08-10-2010: 2nd RFE for an updated police record-although the one we have was dated 4 months ago......ughhhhhhh

09-01-2010: NVC received checklist letter with a new police report..

09-23-2010: case complete FINALLY

11-12-2010: Interview-blue slip, need of a co-sponsor & petitioner at interview

12-07-2010: Petitioner interview w/co-sponsor paperwork

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.