Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Timeline
Yuh dyam right...again!! Preach, Preach Sis! I would move home inna heartbeat if I couldda live inna JA deh life I live 'ere! I always seh I would LOVE fi send mi pickney dem to school inna JA. Believe it on not, it is a much better educational system den the one here!

We've had this discussion on here before and I totally disagree with you. :yes: What are you basing this off of? You can get an education ONLY IF you can afford to pay for school, pay for books, pay for uniforms, and pay to get to and from school. Here in the U.S. education is free to everyone. Not to mention, the standards are a lot different. My husband went up through 10th grade and can barely read and write. Here, you wouldn't even get past 2nd grade without these basic skills.

I went to school in Jamaica.

When I went back to England, I was shocked and amazed at how backward a lot of the people were who went to school in England.

From my own personal experience, I would say my education in Jamaica was FAR better than a lot of people in England received.

I remember one time when we were in Jamaica, my son was in the 2nd grade and there was a little Jamaican girl that was staying at the hotel with family. She was doing some homework (she was 5 yrs old) and I asked if she could show me her notebook in what she was working on.....I was SHOCKED that she was doing work (math) that my son was just beginning to learn in the 2nd grade!! She was a smart little cookie. My son is very street smart.....not book smart.

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Fi real!!! Last night our topic of conversation was poor Empress' issue!! He doesn't really smoke...but I wanted to reiterate...just in case! Again...I got..."Ooman,yuh Mad a who? Nuh suh, mi sorry fi deh Sistren, she deserve better than dat. But dat nuh guh reach we!!! I need fi inna deh States wid mi wife & family!!"

I am just so grateful that people here share the good as well as the bad...so others can learn from them!

Totally agree. Called hubby at lunchtime and told him. He said the same thing.

I am stressing now over the second hand weed smoke i know u guys said not to worry but if around it all day with friends i cant see how it would not enter ur system his friend was just smoking in the car i ask him not too! he still did and fiance said nothing which kkinda piss me off! its like he dont think and hes so stubborn he think he know it all sometimes but something so serious as passing ur medical and gettin the visa so we can be togher id stay as far away from tht stuff as possible

The medical test is blood. I'm not a smoker, never been there done that. I was just reading up on 2nd hand smoke and ganga ---

Second-hand marijuana smoke — buzz producing, or not — can leave traces of the chemical tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in your urine for a day or so after breathing the smoke. Usually, the amount is not enough to make you test positive. Most drug tests have intentionally high standards to avoid false positive results due to incidental ingestion of second-hand smoke.

Hair testing (which is rarely done because the results are not as reliable as results from urine tests) can give information about someone's drug use over a longer time period, say a month or so, rather than just a few days (for most drugs), or a few weeks (with heavy marijuana smoking, for example).

By the way, in order for you to test positive for THC, the marijuana smoke would have to be so thick that it would irritate the eyes of smokers and passive smoke breathers alike. Avoiding smoke-filled cars, unventilated rooms, and other enclosed smoky spaces can help ensure that you can hang out while your friends toke and still be clean for bugle call in the morning.

Other info --

Irrespective of body size, the degree of second hand exposure is influenced by one or more of the following: size of the room or space you occupy, air circulation and quantity of smoke in the air, duration of time you are exposed and potency of the marijuana.

Exposure to second hand smoke can cause a drug test to be positive. A “contact high” indicates that THC has entered the blood stream where it is then detectable by drug analysis. If you do not feel “high” after exposure this does not mean that you are necessarily THC free.

If the exposure is inconsistent, the guidelines for minimal use apply and you can expect to be “clean” in approximately 10 days, possible fewer. If you have prolonged exposure (e.g. living with a frequent user), THC may be detectable for as long as a month.

Hope this helps...

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Yuh dyam right...again!! Preach, Preach Sis! I would move home inna heartbeat if I couldda live inna JA deh life I live 'ere! I always seh I would LOVE fi send mi pickney dem to school inna JA. Believe it on not, it is a much better educational system den the one here!

We've had this discussion on here before and I totally disagree with you. :yes: What are you basing this off of? You can get an education ONLY IF you can afford to pay for school, pay for books, pay for uniforms, and pay to get to and from school. Here in the U.S. education is free to everyone. Not to mention, the standards are a lot different. My husband went up through 10th grade and can barely read and write. Here, you wouldn't even get past 2nd grade without these basic skills.

Hey Rhonda,

I hear what you are saying about paying for school in JA. You are correct, that part is totally unfair! However, I am talking about the structure and curriculum taught in JA. Children are taught more at a younger age for example, Physics, Calculus, Biology re started in their equivalent of 6th & 7th grade, in the prep schools. Where as, here that is not even touched upon til 11th & 12th...if you’re lucky! That's why Americans are falling so far behind the world because we don't push our youngsters to develop these tools early enough so the gather a real understanding of how to utilize and master them once in college.

I am a Dean of Academic Advisement at a University here on Long Island, and I seriously can't tell you how many times I have had International Students (including West Indians) come to me and say the Physics/Calc classes are too easy and they learned this 4 years ago back home in high school! Meanwhile many of my U.S. students are coming in and telling me that they just can't keep up with what is being taught because they were not adequately prepared for College-Level course during their primary education.

So again, yes I agree with you when it comes to the equality of all Jamaican children receiving an education, that MUST be corrected and the playing field be made leveled. However, when it comes to what is being taught in the classrooms in JA. I still believe we could learn something!

P.S.- I actually pay $7000 a year in school taxes for my children to attend the public school in my district. So, free is not always so 'free'.

Blessings and respect,

Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Has anyone ordered copies of Jamaican Birth Certificate online? How long does it take? And how much does it cost? The website doesn't tell me much.

I'm gearing up for AOS. We forgot to get copies. B)

ok ladies i am stressing out about this...not sure what to do...what the right answer is....i called my insurance to see what is all included as i will need to start seeing a dr. pretty soon and they said maternity is NOT covered...it is a al' a cart option that i didn't pick when i signed up for it...well duh of course i didn't wasn't planning on getting preggo....so they said i could add it but it wouldn't cover this current pregnacy...so what do i do....i have been told to look into state funded programs...but will that effect mike and his AOS...i started filling out a application online but stopped when it started asking questions abot mike and who sponsered him blah blah blah....

so my next thought was if i couldn't do that i came across a maternity card...it is not insurance but will give you a discounted price and can save you up to 60%....

or should i maybe cancel my half of the insurance and get another plan that will cover me? i am just not sure what to do i need to bounce these thoughts off of you ladies......

You might want to speak to a medicaid rep but I dont think that will be a problem. It's not like your receiving food stamps or cash. It's a Medicaid/Medical card and you should be able to recv that even if you work esp if you're pregnant. What about your local clinics or hospitals. I know here where I live they have two hospital and both have family clinics in them. While I was pregnant w/my daughter I was registered w/one of them and my copays (per doctor visit) and the birth was on a pay scale based on my income.

I don't know about that one. I tried to sign up for Medicaid when I was let go from my job while pregnant with my oldest child. Because they gave me some severence pay, I wasn't eligible for the Medicaid. They kept insisting on offering me food stamps, which I didn't want; but refused the Medicaid, which I needed. It was maddening.

If you aren't happy with that card plan you signed up for, talk to a social worker. They are pretty good at giving you all options available to you and helping you sign up for things.

I think every state is different. Here in IL you are quicker to get Medicaid then food stamps or cash.

I used to audit Medicare and Medicaid...let's just say...there were many holes in the process. ;)

RE: Birth Certificates: I did and I think Minfey did too.

I think they were $85 and it took us about 3 weeks to get. You HAVE to order 6 of them. They don't give you a choice in that one.

I am about to renew Andre's passport through Washington D.C. , probably in the next month or so. I'll let you guys know how that one goes too.

Lawd a which back a bush country u deh..u mussi no have very much reggae playing on the radio..fi u no know the CURE..plus the controversy wah surround him...TAM mi tink u did up to di time man..heheee :lol::lol::lol::yes:

I love Jah Cure....

Ok, I know I'm going to hear it -- but I can't ever remember hearing a Jah Cure song. Ever since I started school, I have only been listening to books on tape, so I don't hear music much and I put my clubbing days on the back burner a long time ago.

Ok Tam,

Jah Cure was JUST released from prison after I think 12-13 years in prison for rape...(I don't know if it's true or not...). Anyway, while in prison he would write and sing these beautiful songs...like "Longing For", "Sticky", "What would it Take?", "True Reflection", "Love is", plus many others...if you get a chance go to YouTube and listen to some. He has a beautiful voice and always sings about relevant issues in JA. and in life. He is a Rastafarian and very talented. It was a big to do in JA when he was released in July 2007.

Yeah, I think that's it! Just go to Youtube and listen. If you like Luciano, Garnett Silk, & Bob ...you'll like Jah Cure! Different voice, same style. :yes:

9 years is what he served.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Yu see mi...I have no qualms to let them know that foreign not easy. My husband knows how hard I had to work before I finally finished my Bachelor's and even now. I make sure that our family know that if life was a little easier in Jamaica, I would totally come back home, because the QUALITY of life is much better!

I'm curious as to why you think this? Is it the slower pace of things? The friendly people? How do you define "quality of life"? I see how many of Tony's family and friends live down in JA and I could never live that way. I'm just curious.

Yah, I agree with you Rhonda. The things I experienced in JA make me question if I could ever live there permanetly.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Fi real!!! Last night our topic of conversation was poor Empress' issue!! He doesn't really smoke...but I wanted to reiterate...just in case! Again...I got..."Ooman,yuh Mad a who? Nuh suh, mi sorry fi deh Sistren, she deserve better than dat. But dat nuh guh reach we!!! I need fi inna deh States wid mi wife & family!!"

I am just so grateful that people here share the good as well as the bad...so others can learn from them!

Totally agree. Called hubby at lunchtime and told him. He said the same thing.

I am stressing now over the second hand weed smoke i know u guys said not to worry but if around it all day with friends i cant see how it would not enter ur system his friend was just smoking in the car i ask him not too! he still did and fiance said nothing which kkinda piss me off! its like he dont think and hes so stubborn he think he know it all sometimes but something so serious as passing ur medical and gettin the visa so we can be togher id stay as far away from tht stuff as possible

The medical test is blood. I'm not a smoker, never been there done that. I was just reading up on 2nd hand smoke and ganga ---

Second-hand marijuana smoke — buzz producing, or not — can leave traces of the chemical tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in your urine for a day or so after breathing the smoke. Usually, the amount is not enough to make you test positive. Most drug tests have intentionally high standards to avoid false positive results due to incidental ingestion of second-hand smoke.

Hair testing (which is rarely done because the results are not as reliable as results from urine tests) can give information about someone's drug use over a longer time period, say a month or so, rather than just a few days (for most drugs), or a few weeks (with heavy marijuana smoking, for example).

By the way, in order for you to test positive for THC, the marijuana smoke would have to be so thick that it would irritate the eyes of smokers and passive smoke breathers alike. Avoiding smoke-filled cars, unventilated rooms, and other enclosed smoky spaces can help ensure that you can hang out while your friends toke and still be clean for bugle call in the morning.

Other info --

Irrespective of body size, the degree of second hand exposure is influenced by one or more of the following: size of the room or space you occupy, air circulation and quantity of smoke in the air, duration of time you are exposed and potency of the marijuana.

Exposure to second hand smoke can cause a drug test to be positive. A “contact high” indicates that THC has entered the blood stream where it is then detectable by drug analysis. If you do not feel “high” after exposure this does not mean that you are necessarily THC free.

If the exposure is inconsistent, the guidelines for minimal use apply and you can expect to be “clean” in approximately 10 days, possible fewer. If you have prolonged exposure (e.g. living with a frequent user), THC may be detectable for as long as a month.

Hope this helps...

Wow, yeah that helps alot!! I spoke with my fiance about this issue again last night and urged him not to even stay in the same room as his brethren if they were smoking. But, after reading this I feel alot better.

Thanks again

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Timeline

I agree with you here too Rhonda. From what Andre has told me of his educational experience and what my little relatives relate to me now, I question that whole system too. No system is perfect; but I would choose the ones my kids are going through now to those my little relatives are going through now any day.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline

well you would think with me being preggo things with mike would be different....but nah....i installed a spy program on the computer just to see what was really going on...and well ya he gave a girl on myspace his number...and telling her that she is sexy..not sure what i'm going to do.....

Timeline
well you would think with me being preggo things with mike would be different....but nah....i installed a spy program on the computer just to see what was really going on...and well ya he gave a girl on myspace his number...and telling her that she is sexy..not sure what i'm going to do.....

Wow Nanny, I know I am pretty new to this thread...but I am really sorry to hear that! You deserve more than that! I just don't get men sometimes! He has a woman that has agreed to carry and raise his child and this is the way he honors you?? 'Im need a good box upside his blasted head!

Listen Sistren, nuh focus pon 'im and his dyam foolishness right deh now. Yuh need fi do what is best for yuh and deh bambino! And I KNOW that is so much easy said than done...but, do what is right fi yuh and the baby.

You are in my prayers!

Blessings, love and strength be with you! (L)

Gill

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Timeline

Here, you wouldn't even get past 2nd grade without these basic skills.

well i kinda have to disagree with this...my parents both were teachers in the school system my dad a 4th grade teacher and my mother a high school teacher/librarian...and the stories i heard...my dad would say most of his class was not even close to a 2nd grade reading...and my mom the same thing....i think really it all depands on what school system you go to in the states...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey Rhonda,

I hear what you are saying about paying for school in JA. You are correct, that part is totally unfair! However, I am talking about the structure and curriculum taught in JA. Children are taught more at a younger age for example, Physics, Calculus, Biology re started in their equivalent of 6th & 7th grade, in the prep schools. Where as, here that is not even touched upon til 11th & 12th...if you’re lucky! That's why Americans are falling so far behind the world because we don't push our youngsters to develop these tools early enough so the gather a real understanding of how to utilize and master them once in college.

I am a Dean of Academic Advisement at a University here on Long Island, and I seriously can't tell you how many times I have had International Students (including West Indians) come to me and say the Physics/Calc classes are too easy and they learned this 4 years ago back home in high school! Meanwhile many of my U.S. students are coming in and telling me that they just can't keep up with what is being taught because they were not adequately prepared for College-Level course during their primary education.

So again, yes I agree with you when it comes to the equality of all Jamaican children receiving an education, that MUST be corrected and the playing field be made leveled. However, when it comes to what is being taught in the classrooms in JA. I still believe we could learn something!

P.S.- I actually pay $7000 a year in school taxes for my children to attend the public school in my district. So, free is not always so 'free'.

Blessings and respect,

Gill

Coming from an educator's perspective... :thumbs:

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Timeline
Yu see mi...I have no qualms to let them know that foreign not easy. My husband knows how hard I had to work before I finally finished my Bachelor's and even now. I make sure that our family know that if life was a little easier in Jamaica, I would totally come back home, because the QUALITY of life is much better!

I'm curious as to why you think this? Is it the slower pace of things? The friendly people? How do you define "quality of life"? I see how many of Tony's family and friends live down in JA and I could never live that way. I'm just curious.

The income disparity in Jamaica is quite apparent and I would have to say that I may be biased in that I had a privileged up-bringing. What I am alluding to, is the family time; the time for relaxation, not being swept up in the rat race as it is here. The sense of community that you will find in Jamaica, that seems to be lacking in many US cities. If you know your neighbour having it hard, you know when you go country and you get food products from your family in the country, you come and share it with your neighbour.

Over the past decade, Jamaica's economy has been on a steady decline and I can only hope that the new government may be able to turn things around. I can tell you, as more opportunities are available in Jamaica, much of the "diaspora" will return to the island, because the way of life is much better than it is here.

Edited by JA Tam

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Timeline

First of all, I think myspace is the worst. I hate the amount of skanky people who send you questionable pictures of themselves when you don't even know them. It has to be one of the pathetic things I have ever seen.

For Mike to buy into that and do this to you saddens me. What do you think you will do? (if you need help disposing of any bodies, just give me a hollar!)

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Well, until you have a child that goes through the system here..... you'll probably agree with what she said. My son has ADD (now called ADHD), but he's very very borderline. Middle school (6th through 8th grades) THE WORSE ever !!! They literally pushed him through!! I had him evaluated extensely in the beginning of this year because he was doing so poorly in school, just was struggling unbelievably (mostly because the teachers don't give a rats you know what!!). I would help him study for hours and he *knew* the material and would get into the class and totally fail.....so the pychologist tells me he has a learning disability i.e. NO long term retention. The reason being, is that from Kindergarten through 5th grade schools/teachers nowadays (well for the past 6-7 yrs) that they are taught for "short term tasks"....meaning they are NOT required to "memorize" anything before they go onto the next subject. For instance multiplication ....you do NOT "memorize" anymore. They go through the entire work in a week and if you don't know it....oh well, move on. So, when he got into 6th grade, everything he "learned" up till them....he had no memory of and basically was failing every class --that's when I had him evaluated for Attention Deficit. Then 7th grade, is a review of 6th grade...he got all A's & B's and then there was 8th grade...........shoot was THE worse because they are preparing you for high school and the "memory" of everything up to that point. My son STILL does not know (or remember) his "x" tables. He has a hard time "remembering" the flippin months of the year (in order). He used to remember the trips (and details) that we've been on..... not anymore. There is no long term memory !!

His last report card for middle school (the one that comes home in the mail -this summer) ...he got 3 D's (and one was an E, but she moved it up a point to make it a D), 3 C's and one B (in PE) and they passed him....no questions asked......nothing!!!! In our county you are not "allowed" to be passed to the 9th grade if you have any D's (or lower). I was in his middle soooo much the flippin janitors all know me. I met with his teachers on numerous occassions. It was ridiculous !!

SO, there was no way that I wanted him to go into high school ...continuing this way. I met with the Special Ed teacher over the summer and she "assured" me that Austin would have a very smooth transition. When I went to orientation the Friday before school started..."I" was soooooo darn excited to see that they DID do everything for him to make it less stressful, complicated and whatever else you wanna call it. His 1st period class has only 5 kids in it and it's called a "Tutorial", basically a refresher class and the teacher helps with ANY assignments they need help with, or questions with homework for any class. Second period, he has the Varsity soccer coach and he doesn't play....but doesn't give homework. Third period....health. Fourth/5th period Math -- double dose and 2 teachers and only 15 kids. Sixth period-English --only 11 kids and 2 teachers and then he's in Spanish Honors with only 16 kids (since he passed Spanish the past 2 yrs).

He LOVES high school, LOVES all of his teachers (so far). It has been a total nightmare up to this point! Now there's another huge incentive, he canNOT get anything lower than a C (or maintain a 2.0 or higher) grade average to play sports!!! That could also be keeping him very motivated!!!

Sorry for the long post ............but, you just wait. I can only imagine what the school system (especially public school) is going to be like in 4-5 yrs !!!!!

I can only hope that the educational system will improve in the US. Both my sisters are middle school teachers - math and science. When my sister (the math teacher) told me that the administration "encouraged" her to pass a failing student so that he can move on to the high school. When asked why she should send this student unprepared on to high school, the response was, he can't drop out in middle school, but he can do that in high school. That floored me! :angry:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Timeline

First of all, I think myspace is the worst. I hate the amount of skanky people who send you questionable pictures of themselves when you don't even know them. It has to be one of the pathetic things I have ever seen.

For Mike to buy into that and do this to you saddens me. What do you think you will do?

(if you need help disposing of any bodies, just give me a hollar!)

Ditto for me! :whistle:

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.