Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
this is SO strange for me to be posting this...cause this was SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SOx's a million not planned...but add me to the preggo list

OMG!! Congratulations.... (L)(L) What did Mike say???

WE ARE DONE!!!

this is SO strange for me to be posting this...cause this was SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SOx's a million not planned...but add me to the preggo list

:dance::jest:Congratulations!!!

Okay, now I am 1000000% convinced there is something in the VJ water.....:lol::innocent:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Would she have a problem getting back into the country with her current K-1 visa? Her visa is dated to expire the end of November.

Unfortunately the K1 Visa is not a "travel" visa -- it's a 'one time entry' into the U.S. You could always try to get an "Emergency AP" but like Kelly said, I have heard some horror stories (here on VJ) about what happens when people try to re-enter.

Your best bet would be to get the actual AP or wait for the Green Card.

When are you planning to file the AOS 'bundle?' And have you checked to see how long the processing times are -- I know Kelly filed at the end of July and her check is not even cashed yet......

Donna and I are discussing this now. I believe we first have to marry before the AOS is filed. We are looking at a late October wedding date. The AOS would be mail soon afterwards. I mentioned to her that some people go to the courthouse and get married after arriving. Later they have a reception for family and friends. This would allow us to get the AOS in sooner. As women how do you feel about having your first marriage at the courthouse? I wonder if she would later feel cheated or bad about doing this. Is it worth saving this time by having a courthouse marriage? I would like a women's perspective on this.

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Timeline
I have been looking at the forms required for AOS. Form I-131, Application for Travel Document is listed. Is this form part of the new I-485? USCIS shows the fee as $305. I am concerned that Donna's mom may need her there in Jamaica before any of this paper work goes through. Would she have a problem getting back into the country with her current K-1 visa? Her visa is dated to expire the end of November.

From what I've read ....the AP is not a total guarantee that she would be able to re-enter. We didn't file for AP....but now you have no choice, everything is "all inclusive" on the K1.....included in the $1010.00

I know when a friend of mine came here 4 yrs ago, his son died about a month after he got here. He filed for an emergency AP (here was here on a K1)...and they gave him alot of ####### coming back in. He said he would prefer never to go through that ever again!

Damien's CG took 15 months to process so we applied for the AP once we found out USCIS was doing a security background check on us. Damien used his AP in March 2006. We flew through Fort Lauderdale so there a long immigration line so we missed our connecting flight to DC...not a big deal because another plane came an hour later.

:dance::jest:Congratulations!!!

Okay, now I am 1000000% convinced there is something in the VJ water.....:lol::innocent:

Congrats.

Ditto....I'm staying away.......

You do have to get married to file the AOS.....

This was my first marriage and we got married at the courthouse. No biggie. I never wanted (or needed) to have a big wedding....this was just fine for me. A lot of people have gotten married at the courthouse then had a "big" reception at a later date.

The people I wanted to be there were there. It was great.

Rhonda planned a "real" wedding in a very short time. I don't remember all the details but she might be able to help if this is something Donna really wants to do.

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I think you will get a little more back, maybe not a huge amount b/c u claim for him. But, once he starts working that'll change :yes: ..I think :)

I was just thinking that. I sat here thinking, that refund check is going to be looking nice next year, especially since I was also in school and he will be on as a dependent this year :dance: . SWEET!!! :dance:

Hahhahahaaaaa...u funny.. :yes: go have a child while ur at it :lol:

If it was up to me, I would already have one. He says he wants to be here for the entire experience, so I will give him that.

Congratulations :dance::dance:

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Timeline

OMG! Congrats! :luv:

Would she have a problem getting back into the country with her current K-1 visa? Her visa is dated to expire the end of November.

Unfortunately the K1 Visa is not a "travel" visa -- it's a 'one time entry' into the U.S. You could always try to get an "Emergency AP" but like Kelly said, I have heard some horror stories (here on VJ) about what happens when people try to re-enter.

When are you planning to file the AOS 'bundle?' And have you checked to see how long the processing times are -- I know Kelly filed at the end of July and her check is not even cashed yet......

Donna and I are discussing this now. I believe we first have to marry before the AOS is filed. We are looking at a late October wedding date. The AOS would be mail soon afterwards. I mentioned to her that some people go to the courthouse and get married after arriving. Later they have a reception for family and friends. This would allow us to get the AOS in sooner. As women how do you feel about having your first marriage at the courthouse? I wonder if she would later feel cheated or bad about doing this. Is it worth saving this time by having a courthouse marriage? I would like a women's perspective on this.

I don't see anything wrong with a courthouse wedding as that will be what Marlon and I do. When you are getting married the important thing is to be married not how you were married. I would love a big wedding but if all goes well, in a few years we can save up for one and just renew our vows. I do plan on some kind of food/reception venue, perhaps a potluck?

Nyseness, everything irie! :D Thanks for the PM!

Luvtrav, phew! lol I did call MIA customs and they told me he was admitted to the US at 7:14am our time. Marlon was supposed to call me but probably couldn't figure out the phone card (ie dial 1800#, code, number etc.)

Thank you so much to everyone for the well wishes and support! I am a nervous wreck today but at least I look cute! :innocent:

I did call MIA customs and they told me he was admitted to the US at 7:14am our time. Marlon was supposed to call me but probably couldn't figure out the phone card (ie dial 1800#, code, number etc.)

What time are you expecting him???

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Filed: Timeline
I did call MIA customs and they told me he was admitted to the US at 7:14am our time. Marlon was supposed to call me but probably couldn't figure out the phone card (ie dial 1800#, code, number etc.)

He arrives at 6:35pm my time (Arizona, it's 11:45am now)

Timeline

Originally, we planned a small wedding ceremony in JA until we decided to apply for the K-1 instead of the K-3. Since I didn't get my "dream" wedding and Damien's family would not witness our ceremony, we went to the courthouse with my mother, daughter, and a few good friends. The ceremony only took 2 minutes :clock: . We didn't plan anything fun afterwards so it felt like a regular day. I felt a little cheated until my family gave us a reception three months later…it made us feel much better…well at least the gifts did :P .

Sometimes I feel bad about not wearing "the dress" so we'll renew our vows in JA on more of our anniversaries…maybe our 5th or 10th....

When you are getting married the important thing is to be married not how you were married.

I totally agree!! :thumbs:

BUT -- if you have always had that dream of the pretty white dress and the big party I could totally see how it would be hard to go to the Courthouse. I guess it would feel like you were "settling"

He arrives at 6:35pm my time (Arizona, it's 11:45am now)

I think I would have so much bottled up energy that I would be trying to run across the country right now to get to him. I have NO patience :wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

we went to the courthouse with my mother, daughter, and a few good friends. The ceremony only took 2 minutes :clock: . We didn't plan anything fun afterwards so it felt like a regular day. Sometimes I feel bad about not wearing "the dress" so we'll renew our vows in JA on more of our anniversaries…maybe our 5th or 10th....

Regular day? I went back to work :lol: :lol:

We are planning something in Jamaica too.....probably on our 5th

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Timeline

This was my 1st marriage and "I" am personally not into the big wedding thing at all. I wanted small, he wanted big....but we both knew we did not want a court house wedding....for us, just to impersonal. We had a small wedding at our local state park...and one of my friends "married us". Craig could not believe it was real because my friend performed the wedding, even with marriage certificate. He had met her (and stayed with the 2 of us) during our travel agent business trip to Jamaica last April. Our wedding was the 3 of us (me, Craig & my son). Another good friend took awesome pics, a client of mine put together our flowers. It was very very romantic, beautiful weather, short & sweet. Craig does love the fact that we went small (more affordable) and then whenever we can back to Jamaica, that's when we'll have the "real" one at the hotel where we met with friends and family.

If you don't want courthouse....see if there is a minister or something similar that can perform a wedding at your local park, lake, etc etc.

Hope that helps...

Kelly

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.