Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
We get tru!! Approved :dance::dance::dance:

The Experience:

Got there early, waited to get in until 12:30pm. First window 5A - Asked him to complete the DS 230 part 1 form. I think they just asked him to do that to see if he could fill it out by himself. Finger printed in Section B at window 15. The interview in Section C at window 21. We had an older white guy who approved 2 other people before us so we were praying that we received him. The two ladies at window 22 and 23 were very very very tough. They denied so many people it wasn't even funny.

Questions that were asked.

How did we meet? When did we meet? What was I there for for the first trip? Where in Jamaica was my family from? How many times did I come back to visit? What did I do for a living? How many people will attend the wedding?

That was it! The only thing is that they ask the questions so fast and if you stutter it may seem like you are lying. I had to tell Melvin to just relax because they are people just like we are. I was really reserved and mostly because I don't let those people intimidate me. I also do public speaking so that is advantage. We were so happy leaving there and people was smiling for us and just as happy right with us. It feels good!

He did make us raise our right hand and swear that everything was truthful in the paperwork. Then he tells me that it didn't look like I had much money in the bank and I was like well thats because I have come to Jamaica 5 times in the last year. Then he said you two kids enjoy yourself and hopefully you will be able to save some more money because you don't have to come back for awhile. He said congratulations and gave us the slip for Airpak.

So, we are thinking that he won't come for a little bit because he knows that I have to get us a place to stay. Airpak says 2 weeks but we know otherwise.

Sooo Sooo happy for you both...Congrats!!!!! :dance:

Visa Journey

Service Center :

Consulate : Jamaica

03-13-2009 : Married

10-16-2009: I-130 Sent to Chicago

10-18-2009: I-130 Delivered

10-23-2009: Cashed check

10-23-2009: NOA1

10-27-2009: Touched

02-08-2010: NOA2!! APPROVED!! email/text received

02-13-2010: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC JOURNEY

02-12-2010: NVC Case # assigned

02-15-2010: email address given to NVC operator

02-22-2010: AOS/DS3032 email received by NVC

02-22-2010: AOS $70 bill paid

02-22-2010: DS3032 Hardcopy Fedx

02-23-2010: DS3032 received signed for by K.STLAURENT

03-04-2010: DS3032 accepted and system updated

03-04-2010: paid IV bill

took a long time to send in ppwk due to husband's birth certificate delay :(

got birth certificate FINALLY!!!

didn't keep good records...sent in the ppwk and got a RFE for copy of passport

06-24-2010: NVC received the form I forgot to send ...oops

08-02-2010: still waiting on a case complete.....ughhhhh

08-10-2010: 2nd RFE for an updated police record-although the one we have was dated 4 months ago......ughhhhhhh

09-01-2010: NVC received checklist letter with a new police report..

09-23-2010: case complete FINALLY

11-12-2010: Interview-blue slip, need of a co-sponsor & petitioner at interview

12-07-2010: Petitioner interview w/co-sponsor paperwork

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey, Kel.

We talk via PM and you know I adore you; but I am going to argue with your comments just a bit here.

Anyone reading this now who has questions......keep those warnings about Jamaican men in the back of your mind; but they do not pertain to everyone. Kelly is talking about her own experiences and I do believe how hard they have been on her. She is a wonderful person for putting up with all she has.

Andre is not like she describes Craig to me. Oh, sure, he has his issues. But, he was never a playa of any kind and because of that, I do not face any of those kind of issues. Honestly, if I did, he would be gone cause I just don't put up with that stuff. I don't have maturity issues with him. And, he was raised to respect women. In fact, I argue with him that he gives his mother too much respect and benefit of the doubt (That is a whole 'nother story!)

The rules.........Oh, how you brought a smile to my face. We argue that issue all the time. What I do with that is say stuff like......"remember how the Holiday Inn laid you off whenever they felt like it, without warning" or "fired so and so without warning" or..............whatever I can think of......well, they can't do that here. There are laws. I do my best to explain why we have certain rules....pertinent to what he is used to in JA. And, of course, I agree with some of the stupid rules no one will ever understand. He gets it then.

How about peeing in the yard, Kel? Did Craig try that? Or walking down the street with the machette?

:thumbs: I totally agree. Although Damien has been here almost 3 years...he is still "adjusting" to the American lifestyle -somewhat. He's always joking about going back to JA because of the rules and manners we follow. We are also still adjusting to being married.....marriage is about compromising.

Damien is probably one of the youngest husbands on here yet he is very mature. I don't have the time to "mother" a grown man. And we respect each other....we wouldn't be together without respect.

Yes, we have issues but nothing major. I have been nothing but honest about our relationship and share our story to everyone who wants to hear.

I am a bit nervous about the young age and the adjustment.....although very mature...still young. I may PM you as to know what were some of the hurdels you encountered that mostly came from the age issue.

Visa Journey

Service Center :

Consulate : Jamaica

03-13-2009 : Married

10-16-2009: I-130 Sent to Chicago

10-18-2009: I-130 Delivered

10-23-2009: Cashed check

10-23-2009: NOA1

10-27-2009: Touched

02-08-2010: NOA2!! APPROVED!! email/text received

02-13-2010: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC JOURNEY

02-12-2010: NVC Case # assigned

02-15-2010: email address given to NVC operator

02-22-2010: AOS/DS3032 email received by NVC

02-22-2010: AOS $70 bill paid

02-22-2010: DS3032 Hardcopy Fedx

02-23-2010: DS3032 received signed for by K.STLAURENT

03-04-2010: DS3032 accepted and system updated

03-04-2010: paid IV bill

took a long time to send in ppwk due to husband's birth certificate delay :(

got birth certificate FINALLY!!!

didn't keep good records...sent in the ppwk and got a RFE for copy of passport

06-24-2010: NVC received the form I forgot to send ...oops

08-02-2010: still waiting on a case complete.....ughhhhh

08-10-2010: 2nd RFE for an updated police record-although the one we have was dated 4 months ago......ughhhhhhh

09-01-2010: NVC received checklist letter with a new police report..

09-23-2010: case complete FINALLY

11-12-2010: Interview-blue slip, need of a co-sponsor & petitioner at interview

12-07-2010: Petitioner interview w/co-sponsor paperwork

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey, Kel.

We talk via PM and you know I adore you; but I am going to argue with your comments just a bit here.

Anyone reading this now who has questions......keep those warnings about Jamaican men in the back of your mind; but they do not pertain to everyone. Kelly is talking about her own experiences and I do believe how hard they have been on her. She is a wonderful person for putting up with all she has.

Andre is not like she describes Craig to me. Oh, sure, he has his issues. But, he was never a playa of any kind and because of that, I do not face any of those kind of issues. Honestly, if I did, he would be gone cause I just don't put up with that stuff. I don't have maturity issues with him. And, he was raised to respect women. In fact, I argue with him that he gives his mother too much respect and benefit of the doubt (That is a whole 'nother story!)

The rules.........Oh, how you brought a smile to my face. We argue that issue all the time. What I do with that is say stuff like......"remember how the Holiday Inn laid you off whenever they felt like it, without warning" or "fired so and so without warning" or..............whatever I can think of......well, they can't do that here. There are laws. I do my best to explain why we have certain rules....pertinent to what he is used to in JA. And, of course, I agree with some of the stupid rules no one will ever understand. He gets it then.

How about peeing in the yard, Kel? Did Craig try that? Or walking down the street with the machette?

:thumbs: I totally agree. Although Damien has been here almost 3 years...he is still "adjusting" to the American lifestyle -somewhat. He's always joking about going back to JA because of the rules and manners we follow. We are also still adjusting to being married.....marriage is about compromising.

Damien is probably one of the youngest husbands on here yet he is very mature. I don't have the time to "mother" a grown man. And we respect each other....we wouldn't be together without respect.

Yes, we have issues but nothing major. I have been nothing but honest about our relationship and share our story to everyone who wants to hear.

I am a bit nervous about the young age and the adjustment.....although very mature...still young. I may PM you as to know what were some of the hurdels you encountered that mostly came from the age issue.

No problem :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

whew, I had to catch up since i posted my homesickness saga. It was great to read all the responses then I didn't feel so bad after jengles and some others mentioned the rules and what not. After losing sleep that night things were back to normal the next day. I think it was just a spell of homesickeness/bordem/detox/rules. i know that he didn't have his daily dose that day, and he wanted to be in nyc at eastern parkway cause some of his friends/family were there and la was virtually dead and hot labor day weekend. so we talked and he knows that giving up on the process would be stupid on his part but eventually we both plan to return to ja it's just a matter of when. i had to laugh too about the rules thing cause he definitely pees on the street or wherever he can (that boy always has to piss), litters, drinks in the car/street, and questions why i don't just park the car in the alley.

i did anticipate this homesickness before he arrived and tried to set things up for him like where jamaicans play soccer, going to adult school and going to dancehall parties, etc but he didn't take to it for some reason. he can be moody: sometimes he wants to go out but most times not. so i don't force the issue. i told him before he left ja that america was no bed of roses or promise land that he thought it was but i don't think he believed me. now he's seeing it for himself. there are small luxuries in jamaica (that i experience) like people can be poor/unemployed but still eat dinner every night and have a roof over their head, there's always someone stopping by your yard to talk, or you can just go to the beach whenever, the latter two i know he really misses.

so things are good now til the next spell (thank god for playstation). we discussed the idea of moving to ny but i want him to experience a winter there before i do that. hopefully his AP comes by October then we can be in ja for christmas because i think both us would be depressed if we had to spend it here. xmas in ja is so nice.

Hey, Kel.

No problem :thumbs:

03-31-06 Filed K-1 papers

04-13-06 received NOA 1

09-24-06 k-1 approved, yeah!

10-02-06 NVC letter received/Papers sent to Kingston/Interview packet sent to fiance

10-24-06 Interview packet returned to Kingston by postal service/Had to request them to resend

10-31-06 Received resent packetand immediately sent DS-230 Part I so he could get interview date

01-09-07 Received appointment letter, two days before interview! (JA mail sucks)

01-11-07 Couldn't get us down, made it to the interview anyway, half prepared, given a letter to return

04-17-07 Finally given another interview date after 2 months of emailing/begging, visa approved, yeah!

05-03-07 Got K-1 Visa in hand (was only suppose to take 4-5 days for delivery,actually took 12)

05-11-07 Imagine girl running down beach towards guy to welcome him into her arms with a

passionate kiss, only it's the airport. He's arrives on Friday!

06-21-07 Our wedding date! It's a civil ceremony, but I'm excited nonetheless

07-12-07 Mailed AOS application/form (wish me luck)

07-25-07 Checks cashed by DHS

07-28-07 Received NOA 1

08-23-07 Biometrics Appt (have to reschedule out of town)

08-31-07 Rescheduled Biometrics

09-25-07 Received EAD

09-25-07 Received AP

09-25-07 Received NOA 2

11-19-07 Appointment for Initial Interview for AOS

11-19-07 Conditional Green Card Approved!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

B)-->

QUOTE(Tricia B @ Sep 6 2007, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
whew, I had to catch up since i posted my homesickness saga. It was great to read all the responses then I didn't feel so bad after jengles and some others mentioned the rules and what not. After losing sleep that night things were back to normal the next day. I think it was just a spell of homesickeness/bordem/detox/rules. i know that he didn't have his daily dose that day, and he wanted to be in nyc at eastern parkway cause some of his friends/family were there and la was virtually dead and hot labor day weekend. so we talked and he knows that giving up on the process would be stupid on his part but eventually we both plan to return to ja it's just a matter of when. i had to laugh too about the rules thing cause he definitely pees on the street or wherever he can (that boy always has to piss), litters, drinks in the car/street, and questions why i don't just park the car in the alley.

i did anticipate this homesickness before he arrived and tried to set things up for him like where jamaicans play soccer, going to adult school and going to dancehall parties, etc but he didn't take to it for some reason. he can be moody: sometimes he wants to go out but most times not. so i don't force the issue. i told him before he left ja that america was no bed of roses or promise land that he thought it was but i don't think he believed me. now he's seeing it for himself. there are small luxuries in jamaica (that i experience) like people can be poor/unemployed but still eat dinner every night and have a roof over their head, there's always someone stopping by your yard to talk, or you can just go to the beach whenever, the latter two i know he really misses.

so things are good now til the next spell (thank god for playstation). we discussed the idea of moving to ny but i want him to experience a winter there before i do that. hopefully his AP comes by October then we can be in ja for christmas because i think both us would be depressed if we had to spend it here. xmas in ja is so nice.

I am happy that this time has passed for you. I am sure that you will get through any other patches that may come your way.

Christmas in JA really nice and I am going to miss it this year as I want to take a rest on the pockets from the airfar, but no lie, I know Christmas here will not compare to how nice it is back home.

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks everyone for your congrats and well wishes. We are just so happy that it went a lot smoother than we anticipated. When I left from JA this time I was still very sad and still cried but then I thought about how he can come up soon with no hesitations. I just want us to have a some what comfortable living when he arrives so thats what I am preparing for. At this point, I know that they is no exact preparation method because I have to now prepare to feed another mouth until he is able to feed his own. Sometime I just get overwhelmed by the thoughts. We are also a praying couple so I know that god will work things out for us, we just have to patient. Nothing happens before the time as he always says.

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Timeline
Thanks everyone for your congrats and well wishes. We are just so happy that it went a lot smoother than we anticipated. When I left from JA this time I was still very sad and still cried but then I thought about how he can come up soon with no hesitations. I just want us to have a some what comfortable living when he arrives so thats what I am preparing for. At this point, I know that they is no exact preparation method because I have to now prepare to feed another mouth until he is able to feed his own. Sometime I just get overwhelmed by the thoughts. We are also a praying couple so I know that god will work things out for us, we just have to patient. Nothing happens before the time as he always says.

Oh, how I know about those tears when I leave him in JA. I am so happy for you both and I'll be praying for your strength during the ups and downs, because let's not fool ourselves, there will be. But, I know it will be all for your good - "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose" :innocent: ...Much love and happiness for you both. :dance:

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Congrats Shonnie;

Don't fret the small stuff. The master will provide. Just have faith and keep praying. The song says, he never brought you this far to get you down now.

Blessings,

Claire

Oh, how I know about those tears when I leave him in JA. I am so happy for you both and I'll be praying for your strength during the ups and downs, because let's not fool ourselves, there will be. But, I know it will be all for your good - "All things work together for good for those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose" :innocent: ...Much love and happiness for you both. :dance:

Tam,

When are you leaving for JA?

Claire

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline
Tam,

When are you leaving for JA?

Claire

Hey Claire

I am on a flight out on the 20th; leaving straight from work to the airport, which thankfully is 15 mins. away. I am looking forward to it :dance:

-Tam

N-400

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guyana
Timeline

This is my first time reading on this post and I must say - very interesting! haha. I got a few LOL's tonight - so thank you all! I'm not marrying a JA man but a Guyanese man and they aren't any better and like trinilad said - they are very proud! I think all west indian men are like that.

Plus I read the entire thread - tru tru - talk about major drama! Thank God I don't have that! This whole experience is drama enuff! hahahaha - anyway - I will keep reading and I wanna thank all of you for sharing all your experiences. So far it is has helped me out a lot!

suz

Starting over -

I-130

01-08-09 - Mailed I-130

01-09-09 - VSC received I-130 application

01-14-09 - Date of NOA1

01-20-09 - Received NOA1 for I-130

06-17-09 - I-130 Approval

06-22-09 - Received NOA2 for I-130

NVC

07-11-09 - Emailed DS-3032

07-11-09 - Paid AOS Fee $70.00

07-23-09 - DS-3032 Accepted via. Email

08-15-09 - Paid IV Fee $400.00

09-14-09 - Mailed I-864 Package

09-14-09 - Mailed IV DS-230 Package

09-28-09 - Email FROM NVC stating that both forms were incomplete

10-09-09 - NVC Received both forms corrected

10-20-09 - Case Complete at NVC

10-29-09 - CR-1 Interview Date scheduled for 12-23-09

12-23-09 - Placed under Admin Review for six weeks - 2-3-10

01-14-10 - Visa Refused

06-02-10 - USCIS Received the package back from the Embassy

09-18-10 - Hindi Wedding Ceremony

09-28-10 - Recieved Letter from USCIS Stating reasons for revocation

10-01-10 - Returned Package to USCIS will further evidence disputing the reasons the Embassy gave for revocation

11-17-10 - DS 230 and Immigrant Information Sheet returned to the Embassy

12-15-10 - Appointment Letter mailed out setting the interview Date for Feb 7th 2011

02-07-11 - 3rd Interview with the Embassy after USCIS reaffirmed the case

02-09-11 - Visa issued

02-11-11 - Traveled back to the USA - and our journey is finally over! A total of 3.5 years!

She did and her flight was not allowed to land because of a storm cell. She went to Alabama to re-fuel (get liquid) and wait until clearance from the Atlanta airport was given. After waiting five hours she arrived. Donna told me that her flight was rough because of the weather. She mentioned that people on board were actually screaming from the turbalance their flight was going through. Donna had a guy next to her who held her hand. I am grateful for him.

Oh my :o I'm sorry she had such a bad experience. I'm glad she got here ok though.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Craig complained for months that America has TOO MANY rules and restrictions.

So ladies (and men) ....just the simple things with not being able to drink a beer and walk up and down the street. Craig used to sit up on along the roadside and he couldn't "understand" why everyone would watch him and give him weird looks. Wearing a seatbelt ALL the time in the car. Keeping ALL the lights and radio on while he wasn't here. I mean the list goes on and on and on and on.

Yes, Tony still complains of all the rules and regulations here in the U.S. And he got so ticked off the first time he figured out that he couldn't just walk out of a bar/club with his beer in his hand :wacko: (I never thought to warn him about this so he actually tried to do it and had like 3 bouncers chasing after him into the parking lot!) Then he was mad because it was embarassing. There are just so many issues that you will never even think of until they occur. Another funny one is that you can't just whip it out and go to the bathroom in public here :no: You WILL get a ticket for that. Explain this to your drunk Jamaican who is used to doing just that when the urge strikes!!

I gave up on the battle of leaving all the lights/tv/stereo on. I just turn them off myself. I've learned to choose my battles wisely. It's just not worth it.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

After reading this I wonder why does she need a SS number at this time. She will not be able to work for a while and after we marry, her name will have changed. So, is it really necessary or important that she have a SS number at this time?

I think the biggest reason to get one would be to open up a bank account in her name. Other than that, you could probably wait until after you're married. Like you said, she'll have to go again after the marriage anyways because of the name change.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

:lol: Tony peed behind a dumpster at a fast food restaurant at 2am while the rest of us were in the drive-through waiting to order some food!! I couldn't stop him!

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm a new poster to the VJ board. I have been lurking for a few weeks, mostly reading this thread. :wacko: Before, I jump in with both feet, I figured I would give you a little info on me :blush:

I went through the K1 journey back in 2001.

Welcome to the Yardie thread. If I may ask, what happened to your other case from 2001? I'm wondering if it will affect your current situation at all.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.