Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Timeline
jay...

here it is

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

i forgot she also needs to fill out a form as well...the link to the form is on this page

Thank you, this is very helpful information. I downloaded the SS-5 application from the SS web site. Page 2, number 3 states, "If you check "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work," you must provide a document from the U.S. Federal, State or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number adn that you meet all of the requirements for the U.S. government benefit. NOTE: Not all U.S. State or local are acceptable for non-work SSN purposes." Donna is here on a K-1 visa. After reading this I wonder why does she need a SS number at this time. She will not be able to work for a while and after we marry, her name will have changed. So, is it really necessary or important that she have a SS number at this time?

Some banks require a SS # to set up an account. For Craig, he needed his SS # PLUS a paystub. Banks, in our area, have become soooo darn strict because of some immigration rule/law now. We got it, it was THE most painless process to date.

I don't see why she would need it now ? You can wait, especially if she's not going to be working for quite awhile.

Well, I called USCIS today--myself, so that "I" could hear them tell me that if your checks haven't been cashed and you haven't received any notices, it could take UP TO 90 days !!! So, here it is...only the 36th day !!! I just want the checks cashed so that "I" know they are working on the application instead of it sitting in a mound of others in the office !!!

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There is absolutely no "technical" part to filing AOS and there's is absolutely no mention of a filing date before then. It is "recommended". TRUST ME, I have done research upon research on this. There are maaaaaany couples from all sorts of countries that have waited well over the "90 day period" and never had problems. Now, for us....OH I'm quite sure we'll have issues, just because that's "my luck" and nothing is ever ever an easy road for me.

You file for AOS so that the SO can be legally working, driving, etc etc.

I look at the whole process like this............as everyone has said this IS a totally and complete, without a doubt adjustment on everyone (in the house). Craig is still adjusting and he's been here 14 months as well. I know some that aren't associated with the VJ site whose SO's have been here 5 yrs and they are still adjusting. Another friend of mine, knowing her man for 9 yrs, than marrying and him being here for 4 yrs and now they are separated because of "adjustment" issues.

Doesn't matter if you live in a rural area, if there are no folks "of color", if there are tons and tons of Jamaican things to see and do, if there are "clubs" (which is not a good suggestion as you are working on a marriage). Craig, himself, has made BAD choices upon bad choices, upon bad choices and mostly............MATURITY is the issue. "I" can't make him grow up, but he has to learn and grow from his F**ups !!! Then you think everything is going great and they get that call from a cousin or "friend" (who is single and/or not in a TRUE marriage) and we start all over!!!!!

I've said it a million times on here in the past, it's how they are raised !! Other cultures "allow" men treat women a certain way, do things & make choices that are "acceptable" in THEIR culture, but no way ....no how would they be accepted here. Craig complained for months that America has TOO MANY rules and restrictions.

I've been traveling to Jamaica for 10 yrs, I've seen just about everything and the "vacation" romances and what happens in Jamaica stays in Jamaica. The married women that go there just to *have* their way with the jamaican men and alot of times it's been a couple of different men on their trip. The stories Craig tells me about the women that would proposition him at the hotel.....and then him coming here and still thinking that is okay on how to "make money" .................NOT !!!!! I don't know why that on my 20th trip to Jamaica I met Craig and why we ended up together. I've never had a relationship with a caribbean man and it has been THE toughest relationship in my life !!!!! That link that someone just put up in here..... couldn't have been more true !!! Please take time to read it, it's very interesting ! I personally wish I would have heard "bad things" when I was going through this process, but all I ever read was those rosey kind of stories !!

So ladies (and men) ....just the simple things with not being able to drink a beer and walk up and down the street. Craig used to sit up on along the roadside and he couldn't "understand" why everyone would watch him and give him weird looks. Wearing a seatbelt ALL the time in the car. Keeping ALL the lights and radio on while he wasn't here. I mean the list goes on and on and on and on.

Like the other Kelly said.................PATIENCE is key in these relationships. If you yourself are NOT a patient person....you will need to learn real quick !!! If you have issues with "your space" and having things done a certain way, be PATIENT !! Those that have kids already in your home.....be PATIENT !! In alot of ways, you are bring an adult "child" into your home to show him/her alllllll the ways to live the life we all live here in the US.....and patience is totally a virtue !!!

Anyone can PM me anytime if you ever needed to chat in private.

Kelly

Hey, Kel.

We talk via PM and you know I adore you; but I am going to argue with your comments just a bit here.

Anyone reading this now who has questions......keep those warnings about Jamaican men in the back of your mind; but they do not pertain to everyone. Kelly is talking about her own experiences and I do believe how hard they have been on her. She is a wonderful person for putting up with all she has.

Andre is not like she describes Craig to me. Oh, sure, he has his issues. But, he was never a playa of any kind and because of that, I do not face any of those kind of issues. Honestly, if I did, he would be gone cause I just don't put up with that stuff. I don't have maturity issues with him. And, he was raised to respect women. In fact, I argue with him that he gives his mother too much respect and benefit of the doubt (That is a whole 'nother story!)

The rules.........Oh, how you brought a smile to my face. We argue that issue all the time. What I do with that is say stuff like......"remember how the Holiday Inn laid you off whenever they felt like it, without warning" or "fired so and so without warning" or..............whatever I can think of......well, they can't do that here. There are laws. I do my best to explain why we have certain rules....pertinent to what he is used to in JA. And, of course, I agree with some of the stupid rules no one will ever understand. He gets it then.

How about peeing in the yard, Kel? Did Craig try that? Or walking down the street with the machette?

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
jay...

here it is

i forgot she also needs to fill out a form as well...the link to the form is on this page

Thank you, this is very helpful information. I downloaded the SS-5 application from the SS web site. Page 2, number 3 states, "If you check "Legal Alien Not Allowed to Work," you must provide a document from the U.S. Federal, State or local government agency that explains why you need a Social Security number adn that you meet all of the requirements for the U.S. government benefit. NOTE: Not all U.S. State or local are acceptable for non-work SSN purposes." Donna is here on a K-1 visa. After reading this I wonder why does she need a SS number at this time. She will not be able to work for a while and after we marry, her name will have changed. So, is it really necessary or important that she have a SS number at this time?

Here in St. Louis, Andre needed his SSN to get:

Missouri State ID

Driver's license

added to my bank accounts

job

And, he was not allowed to get that until we had his green card.

We did not need it:

for marriage license

To add him to my health insurance

to make him beneficiary of my life insurance

to add him on as a driver on my car insurance

to add him as authorized user on credit cards

they used his A# on all of that. I called most after and added his SSN to the policies.

Hope that helps Jay

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
jay...

here it is

Some banks require a SS # to set up an account. For Craig, he needed his SS # PLUS a paystub. Banks, in our area, have become soooo darn strict because of some immigration rule/law now. We got it, it was THE most painless process to date.

I don't see why she would need it now ? You can wait, especially if she's not going to be working for quite awhile.

Well, I called USCIS today--myself, so that "I" could hear them tell me that if your checks haven't been cashed and you haven't received any notices, it could take UP TO 90 days !!! So, here it is...only the 36th day !!! I just want the checks cashed so that "I" know they are working on the application instead of it sitting in a mound of others in the office !!!

The lesson of the day is PATIENCE!!!!!!!!

You know how it goes, Kel. Did you think they were going to speed up any in the last 14 months? Now, if we VJers had taken over, of course!

Take a deep breath and move on to something fun and less stressful. Can't do anything about it in the meantime.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Donna is here on a K-1 visa. After reading this I wonder why does she need a SS number at this time. She will not be able to work for a while and after we marry, her name will have changed. So, is it really necessary or important that she have a SS number at this time?

You may want to research this Jay, but I think she needs the SSN so that you can apply for the marriage license. I know that it is needed in Florida.

Every state is different.....in Illinois it was needed to get a drivers license/state ID. We waited until after two weeks after Roy arrived then we went to apply.....got the card about three weeks later.

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi everyone,

Just a quick update. Mr Jengles went to carnival with me on Monday at first he didn't want to go. I had to drag him out the house... It was also his first time on the subway, he couldn't believe it went under the ground especially when we had to go down 2 flights to get to our train. U should have seen him jump when the door he was leaning on opened. lol

He wants to get to a job to "play his part" is how he puts it and save quicker for a bigger place. He's been doing a lot of work around the house and saving me a lot of money so I'm happy with that for right now . According to the new york state website he doesn't need a SS# to get a licsense but he says he needs more time to get used to the idea.

I had to speak to him about calling his friends from the cellphone QUESTION - he put money on his digicell but he can't get it to work..he can see missed calls..but can't get or make calls...does anyone know how to make it work..I had a digicell phone that worked here in the U.S.

Having him around is great, I just wish I could get him out of the house more.

Oh we went to a Jamaican dance on Saturday, he had a good time. We also went to a calypso backyard party on Saturday he didn't have a good time there. He actually asked when can we leave. lol

He thinks "foreign" is nice but only if you have a job. Which I think is a good thing for him to realize. Sometimes he watches those shows like Maury and Jerry Springer and thinks Americans are crazy...

Bye for now

Good for you Jengles!! I was telling my Fiance about Labor Day on the Parkway and how he WILL be going next year!!

Regarding the Digicel he may want to go to an AT&T (Cingular) store and ask them if they can put in a US chip. Typically, when I go down to JA I have to switch the chip at the back of the phone to have it coincide with JA's frequency. I can only assume the same is true for the US. However, I don't know how the $$ will work. Maybe putting in a Pay-As-you -go chip.

Anyway, good luck and I am happy to hear that Mr. Jengles is adjusting to 'foreign'.

Blessings-Gill

06/08/08- Married my best friend!

AOS/EAD/AP Applications

12/08/08- Package mailed

12/11/08- Package received at USCIS Chicago lockbox

12/19/08- Check cashed by USCIS

12/27/08-Biometrics appt letter recieved

01/05/09- CRIS email notification-I-485 Case transferred to CSC

01/06/09- Biometrics complete

03/02/09- AP received via USPS

03/05/09- EAD received via USPS

04/27/09- Received CRIS email - Green Card has been ordered on 4/25/09- Petition Approved!!

04/28/09- Received CRIS email 'Welcome Letter' mailed

05/04/2009- Conditional 2 year Green Card received

CF906-K_lg.jpgA heart that loves is 'Forever Young'!CF906-G_lg.jpg

Who JAH bless..no man can curse!!

Another Proud Jamaican Lioness in a wonderful relationship with her Powerful Jamaican Lion!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Every state is different.....in Illinois it was needed to get a drivers license/state ID. We waited until after two weeks after Roy arrived then we went to apply.....got the card about three weeks later.

Thanks Minfay...I know, that's why I stated that he may want to research it for Georgia.

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Timeline

Hey, Kel.

We talk via PM and you know I adore you; but I am going to argue with your comments just a bit here.

Anyone reading this now who has questions......keep those warnings about Jamaican men in the back of your mind; but they do not pertain to everyone. Kelly is talking about her own experiences and I do believe how hard they have been on her. She is a wonderful person for putting up with all she has.

Andre is not like she describes Craig to me. Oh, sure, he has his issues. But, he was never a playa of any kind and because of that, I do not face any of those kind of issues. Honestly, if I did, he would be gone cause I just don't put up with that stuff. I don't have maturity issues with him. And, he was raised to respect women. In fact, I argue with him that he gives his mother too much respect and benefit of the doubt (That is a whole 'nother story!)

The rules.........Oh, how you brought a smile to my face. We argue that issue all the time. What I do with that is say stuff like......"remember how the Holiday Inn laid you off whenever they felt like it, without warning" or "fired so and so without warning" or..............whatever I can think of......well, they can't do that here. There are laws. I do my best to explain why we have certain rules....pertinent to what he is used to in JA. And, of course, I agree with some of the stupid rules no one will ever understand. He gets it then.

How about peeing in the yard, Kel? Did Craig try that? Or walking down the street with the machette?

No arguing.... and no worries.... at all. Craig is a prince compared to some others that I know of! I personally put my stuff out there because I do know that it helps others know that they are not alone. I do know that there are only a very few that are not playas. None of my guy friends in Jamaica are playa playas and Craig was not like that ever, at least in my face. Like I've said many many times before. Craig changed completely his 3rd week here. Was it drug related (detox), I truly believe so, but also his immaturity on how he choses to deal with things. I also truly believe in Karma !!

k

Timeline

Nope, no peeing in a yard (or anywhere) or walked down the street with any machettes. My son has jumped out of the car and "couldn't wait" to get inside to pee and went on the side of the aptmt bldg. I was like.....WHAT r u doing !!! He was younger.

I also truly believe in Karma !!

:lol:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Timeline

The lesson of the day is PATIENCE!!!!!!!!

You know how it goes, Kel. Did you think they were going to speed up any in the last 14 months? Now, if we VJers had taken over, of course!

Take a deep breath and move on to something fun and less stressful. Can't do anything about it in the meantime.

Up to July 28th, the cashing of checks has never ever taken 36 days to process. I do understand that they are busy are all get out, but.... I could care less how slow the rest of the process is, it's just that I would like to know that they've got my stuff and I don't want them to come back at me and try to pay the new amount as they have with many many others on VJ (not in this thread)!!!

How about peeing in the yard, Kel? Did Craig try that?

Roy did that.....ONCE!!! :energetic:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I have to explain a couple rules and laws lately. he doesn't get why u can't park just anywhere on the streets. Gotta tell him unless u want ur car torn in 1/2 by a trailer or a inexperienced driver u gotta watch where u park. Also u cannot litter the streets or u get the wrong cop and write u a ticket. It's def a totally different way of life for the SO's that moved here as an adult. When i moved here the only thing i didn't understand was how can a machine wash ur clothes clean with soils and spills and the collars. But, it all goes back to patience..gotta give everything time.

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

You may want to research this Jay, but I think she needs the SSN so that you can apply for the marriage license. I know that it is needed in Florida.

Jay you live in Georgia, when I was married in January a social was not needed he just signed a extra piece of paper stating he was not a citizen. We waited two weeks after his arrival and went to the SS offfice only thing we took was his passport with his stamped visa. Took all day but nothing complicated just the long lines.

067-1.jpg

080.jpg Want some

089-1.jpg I am hot

Timeline

Up to July 28th, the cashing of checks has never ever taken 36 days to process. I do understand that they are busy are all get out, but.... I could care less how slow the rest of the process is, it's just that I would like to know that they've got my stuff and I don't want them to come back at me and try to pay the new amount as they have with many many others on VJ (not in this thread)!!!

I think it is just YOUR luck!!!!!

Hang in there.

How about peeing in the yard, Kel? Did Craig try that?

Roy did that.....ONCE!!! :energetic:

Only once as in you BLEW when he did it?

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.