Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I spoke to Javon last night and the electricity is still gone. He said according to JPS they're anticipating weeks or months for it to get turned back on unless you leave close to an major business or establishment. For Ivan he didn't have light for 2 months. He bought a car charger so we can stay in touch.

Edited by nyseness

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

We heard from one of Andre's brothers last night who doesn't live in the family home but in Spring Village a ways away. He said his house that he rents got severe water damage and has a hole in the roof, so he is staying with another friend. He hasn't been able to get in touch with anyone in the family in May Pen and he tried to go and see them yesterday but the roads were blocked and he didn't have the time to walk the whole way - so still no word from them at all.

Anna, I heard the same type of thing about the power. I know a lot of people go to major businesses and take the chance of "stealing" the power to charge their phones. I remember the last hurricane one of the gas stations was selling charges for X amount of dollars...crazy :wacko:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
We heard from one of Andre's brothers last night who doesn't live in the family home but in Spring Village a ways away. He said his house that he rents got severe water damage and has a hole in the roof, so he is staying with another friend. He hasn't been able to get in touch with anyone in the family in May Pen and he tried to go and see them yesterday but the roads were blocked and he didn't have the time to walk the whole way - so still no word from them at all.

Anna, I heard the same type of thing about the power. I know a lot of people go to major businesses and take the chance of "stealing" the power to charge their phones. I remember the last hurricane one of the gas stations was selling charges for X amount of dollars...crazy :wacko:

I can't even imagine not having power for a whole 2 months. A lot of power lines are down in JA and my mom and I was talking about how long it was going to take. Its just crazy because you would think that the electrical company would employ more people to take care of this matter. I'm not just talking now but on a regular basis. The first thing that JA should respect is Preparedness for Disasters. If you know that an attempt of a Hurricane happens so offten or the actual hurricane, then wouldn't it just make sense to make the necessary precautions and develop a quick response team. It just all seems like common sense to me. I don't even know what he is going to do to get power for the cell phones. I know that I'll be down there and we better get our friggin visa because what woman you know is going to travel miles away to be in the friggin dark in another country if she doesn't truly love the person and it isn't legit. Sorry guys I am just pissed off because the country is just to lax for me. We always talk about moving back there after a while but I'm a tell you, I can't move somewhere that is so backwards. They are going to have to make some serious changes for me to live there. I love the beach and the freedom but I also love civilization and common sense.

Edited by 12/11/2006

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

How about this...the ds230 i mailed to chris yesterday via DHL at 1:30 pm reached him just now! what one day...im pretty amazed at the service :dance:

K-1 2007

Mailed off Application April 27

Approved August 10

Interview Oct 16

Arrived NYC JFK Oct 27

AOS 2008

1/28 mailed AOS package

2/19 Case xfer to California Service Center

2/27 Biometrics 9AM Newark

3/14 APPLICATION FOR USCIS TRAVEL DOCUMENT approval notice sent

3/19 EAD approved/Card production ordered

6/12 AOS approved &Card producition ordered

6/12 Perm. Res. Card RCVD.

Naturalization 2017

Service Center :Dallas/Lewisville TX Lockbox

CIS Office :Oakland Park FL

Date Filed :3/13/17

NOA Date :3/20/17

Bio. Appt. :3/27/17

In Line for Interview: 4/18

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
How about this...the ds230 i mailed to chris yesterday via DHL at 1:30 pm reached him just now! what one day...im pretty amazed at the service :dance:

REALLY? Thats great! They coming up in the world............NOT!

AOS Package 2008

Married JANUARY 5 2008.......AWWW

Civil Surgeon 2/24 results 2 days later

Mailed AOS 3/1 YAYYYYYYYY!!!!

V. Bustmante signed in receipt of package 3/3

check cashed !!!!!!!!!!!3/10

Received receipt notice in the mail for AOS & EAD 3/12

RFE on 485 stating I 94 card front and back 3/24 (already enclosed) :(

Sent RFE back 3/27

Lees MO received RFE 3/31

change of address online 4/1 (hopefully it doesn't confuse things)

CASE TRANSFERRED to CALIFORNIA 4/10

Biometrics 4/29

EAD APPROVED--Card production ordered 5/5

Received EAD card 5/10

Mailed AP application 5/12....home sick :(

Received AP document in mail 6/27...YAY!!! :)

Card production ordered via website 7/7 Yea baby yea!!!

Green Card in Hand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 7/16

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS 2010:

Mailed I751 Application 4/2

USCIS Received Monday 4/5

Received NOA (12 mos extension) 4/9

Biometrics letter received 4/26...scheduled for 5/12

APPROVAL letter received!!!!!! 6/25

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I can't even imagine not having power for a whole 2 months. A lot of power lines are down in JA and my mom and I was talking about how long it was going to take. Its just crazy because you would think that the electrical company would employ more people to take care of this matter. I'm not just talking now but on a regular basis. The first thing that JA should respect is Preparedness for Disasters. If you know that an attempt of a Hurricane happens so offten or the actual hurricane, then wouldn't it just make sense to make the necessary precautions and develop a quick response team. It just all seems like common sense to me. I don't even know what he is going to do to get power for the cell phones. I know that I'll be down there and we better get our friggin visa because what woman you know is going to travel miles away to be in the friggin dark in another country if she doesn't truly love the person and it isn't legit. Sorry guys I am just pissed off because the country is just to lax for me. We always talk about moving back there after a while but I'm a tell you, I can't move somewhere that is so backwards. They are going to have to make some serious changes for me to live there. I love the beach and the freedom but I also love civilization and common sense.

The thing with this whole topic is that there are people living in Jamaica without power or water, for lack of the money to buy those things. It is a 3rd World Country. These things do not just occur after natural disasters.

Not only do they seem to take forever to get things done, sometimes they do not even address those issues at all.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Though I will certainly agree that there are issues that need to be addressed in Jamaica, it's not like there aren't issues in the US as well. Without looking at what happened with Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans, when Wilma came through Florida, it took 6 weeks for us to get our electricity back and we were luckier than others. In essence we have to look at the fact that governments all over the world fail to put systems in place before a disaster strikes. I understand that you are upset, but they are doing the best they can given the resources that are available. I am also not looking forward to going to Jamaica for the interview if creature comforts are not back in place, but just as you will be doing, I am going to do what I have to do and live without if only for a few days.

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Timeline

I don't want this to get out of hand, but Shonnie.....just a quick question....have you traveled to any other 3rd world countries? or know of anyone that lives in another country (even the USA) that has been devasted by mother nature?? After traveling to Jamaica for 10 yrs and other countries all of my life and seeing, hanging and getting to know the island, the people, way of life, etc etc etc, we all "appreciate" the comforts that most of us have here at home. Craig was petrified of me going to stay at his place because of no hot water, just the way the house is.....but I LOVE his home, the cold water....whatever I dealt with it. Having to run a hose from one house to another. Not having running water to do dishes, clothes, etc etc..........that was absolutely no big deal to me. My Uncle has a beach (summer) house, we grew up staying there for the summers when we were kids. We had no hot water, air conditioning, heat. It was pretty rundown (in normal standards), but ........we LOVED going there. I love the fact that I'm able to show my son how other cultures live and appreciate the things that he has, which trust me, he doesn't get everything "he" wants. He just bought his own Xbox 360. Worked all summer and paid $400.00 for it !!

If it's only for a few days, work with it. You are going to be with a man that is from a totally different culture. For the 1st year that he's here, you'll be "training" him to do and use alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll sorts of things. Going to the grocery store....he won't believe his eyes !! You think you are frustrated??? Shoot....you just wait till he gets here !!!

I am not being mean....and I know that you are frustrated, it's frustrating that some have to live the way they do, even in good ole US of A !!!!

Timeline

You know 2 months isn't really that bad. I have been through some situations in my life that I have truly learned to live w/o a lot of things. Maybe that's why I dont' take anything for granted. While I was in college I was working temp and I had to maintain my own independency b/c my mom made it clear I couldn't come home. My light was cut off once b/c I didn't have the money to pay b/c I had to pay rent instead. Well a few wks past and I was able to come up w/the money but I chosed to do w/o power b/c to me it wasn't important. I'm not to proud of it but I am an EXTREMELY frugal person to the point that I pretty much live a simple life. Well my power was off for 3 months total b/c I just chose not to pay the bill. It was my baby father that went behind my back to got it turned back on. I can honestly say growing up in country made me appreciate the little things in life. I can bare anything and I try to teach the same to my daughter. What we have here is all luxury.

Edited by nyseness

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: Timeline

My husband lives in Port Antonio (2 hours from Kingston). He still has no power nor water. His house sustained minimal damage. Since the Embassy was closed on Monday and Tuesday of this week, I hope that we will not have to wait much longer for an interview. Plus, Monday, August 27th is Election Day. The folks with August 27th interviews were postponed until Thursday, September 20th. I e-mailed the Embassy two weeks ago, and was told that my husband's interview would be in October at the earliest. Our 1st wedding anniversary is on October 20th. That would be the greatest gift- to have him home.

Filed: Timeline

Yay! Let's hope AirPak is as fast getting that visa to Marlon!

Have you or Marlon called AirPak? Perhaps he can go to the office to pick up the visa in person.

Timeline

Hey everyone. I'm just checking in on everyone and sending out well wishes to all of our loved ones in Jamaica. I hope that everyone can rebuild, and that power and order is restored to everyone's lives as quickly as possible. Gregory lives in St. Ann's Bay and he told me that their power was turned back on last night. Trust me, I was going nutz because of lack of digicel service since early Sunday. He actually had to work (he drives all the boats for Breezes), and they made him take the boats down to Trelawny and stay with them. He was there with others, but it wasn't really in a safe and enclosed area. From the way he described it they were in some sort of cove or something. I don't know...but it sounded crazy and cruel to me!! I didn't hear from him until YESTERDAY so I was thinking he got swept away or something...Anyway, I just thank God that he and his family are ok. I haven't been here in a while, but I just want to say congratulations on the recent approvals and to the recent births on the site!! You guys keep on doing what you're doing!! One luv!!

Tamisha

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yay! Let's hope AirPak is as fast getting that visa to Marlon!

Have you or Marlon called AirPak? Perhaps he can go to the office to pick up the visa in person.

Donna was on the phone all day today trying to get someone at AirPak to answer the phone. Finally about 4pm a guy at AirPak answered her call. He told her to check back Tuesday. Donna told me that the lights came on today for her there in Kingston. She had water yesterday.

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.