Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
What's everyone's summer vacation plans?

Well, we were going to go to Arizona, but....unfortunately can't swing it this summer. My son really wants to go to the Outer Banks again this year with his friend, so "my" vacation ....is no mommy time. He's been hardly home so far this summer which is giving me a much much needed break. We only have "off" from soccer the month of July and December and it's too darn expensive to go anywhere in December.

Any plans for you Michele? Coming down to this area for Independence Day, August 5th ?

July 21-22nd has alot going on here in the area, there's a Reggae Wine Festival (Linganore Winery)...every year, alot of fun. My favorite Reggae band is playing Sat night in the area. Artscape is that entire weekend and I just got an email this morning that there is a 2nd Annual Sand Duels BASH at RASH™ Sand Soccer Tournament--for the men it's July 22nd. If only Craig could round up some folks and play --it's at the Inner Harbor ...he only needs 6 others to play.......IF anyone (any of the guys) in this area (Baltimore/DC) is interested, please let me know ASAP !

It would only be about $35.00 to play.

I would love to come down to D.C./Baltimore but I can't get anyone to come with me.

I'm going to Toronto in the fall with my best friend. I would love to go there one year during Caribana, but my friends are afraid to go :blush:

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we were going to go to Arizona, but....unfortunately can't swing it this summer. My son really wants to go to the Outer Banks again this year with his friend, so "my" vacation ....is no mommy time. He's been hardly home so far this summer which is giving me a much much needed break. We only have "off" from soccer the month of July and December and it's too darn expensive to go anywhere in December.

Any plans for you Michele? Coming down to this area for Independence Day, August 5th ?

The weather has been really scorching out in the west this summer. I went to Arizona in May one year and it was too hot for me then. Scottsdale was beautiful though.

Calling on Jamie- :help: Do you remember the site where you can purchase online -I'm not sure if it was a voucher or store credit- for a specific grocery store to help out someone in Jamaica? It basically entailed on online purchase and the person in Jamaica could go to the store and select what they wanted for the amount of money that you purchased online?

Super Plus

Hi Michele :luv:

I have never actually done it but I have heard from others who have done it and had good results. Just remember to check the store locations on the website to make sure that whoever is going to pick them up won't have to go to far.

i have used that store in the past and i was ok...i used it once and actually picked out the food and that was not any good....most of the things they didn't have or what looked like not enough to me was a lot..so i just eneded up getting the vouchers and that was much better!

Kelly i was looking and at the artscape thing that friday night they are having steel drum music that would be fun to go to!!! or whatever....i am just fine with hanging and laughing at the roomies

Thanks Shauna, I'll keep that in mind :thumbs:

Still not adjusted to the time difference :(

Went to sleep at 6pm, woke up and can't sleep.....Those events in DC look nice, but I'm always too tired to even think about going anywhere....We went to a commissary on base to get cheap groceries, spent over $400 :o

But now the fridge is overflowing, can't find space for anything!!

:o A lot of times when I come out of the grocery store I'm amazed at how much I spent too.

BTW- I didn't get a chance to say welcome before, so WELCOME.

Man I was looking forward to eating at Maxine's booth at the taste on Saturday. What a total bumme.r It use to be good. What did u have Anna? I guess I will have to eat something else at the Chi Taste. :whistle:

Remember they have several cooks so the food varies from time and time. I had the curry goat b/c the oxtail didn't look good. It was sloppy and wasn't brown. When I finally got the goat I wished I could change my mind b/c it was "white". I can't eat my meat w/no color, I'm a picky eater. My daughter got the jerk chicken and she didn't like it either. They only had a few selections to choose from. Maxine is a good cook but some of her cooks na ready.

We ate at the taste and it wasn't Maxines some place starting with a V. We had chicken, rice and peas and plantain. My hubby, dad, and myself thought it was horrible. The taste was ok and hubby ran into a friend which was nice. I wore him out making him walk to Navy Pier and then back to Millennium Park. He wasn't impressed by the beam. :wacko:

Michelle are vacation this summer is going and seeing the sites of Chicago. I don't need to go far for him to have a great time and it has been so much fun.

What summer vacation plans do u have Michelle?

I went to the Chi a few years ago with my former husband. We had a great time. There was always something to see and do. Can't wait to go back again.

Timeline

The weather has been really scorching out in the west this summer. I went to Arizona in May one year and it was too hot for me then. Scottsdale was beautiful though.

I used to live in Arizona, for 3 yrs. I love it out there, there's just so much to see and do. I was pregnant and riding my bicycle in August.....115 degree weather, oh trust me....that was hot ! I have a shirt (old one) that says I survived 122 !!

You don't need anyone to come down wit ya....there are plenty of folks down this-a-way ... ;o)

Timeline

For all the "newbies".... please put this information in a word document or file in you email, that will help you and/or others that are going through the process. Also keep in mind that some of my information may have changed since I went through the process over a year ago.

Pertains to K1 Visas (without bringing any children here) - before sending your paperwork, make 2 copies of everything.

Suggestion for sending packet and/or interview -- put everything into binder and use ACCO fasteners. Have cover pages separating the different types of evidence and tabs at the bottom of the pages to flip between the different sections.

For the I-129F

-One paragraph of how we met. The actual date that we met, where and then the other times, dates and location (hotel) that we've seen and spent time together.

**On line 18 of the petition, I put * additional sheet attached

-Then the G-325A biographic information--all 4 pages are slightly different

-A copy of the USC's birth certificate

-A copy of his birth certificate (it's not needed, but did it just in case)

-USC letter of intent -typed (just use the sample off of the VJ website) http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance...r_of_Intent.doc

-His/her letter of intent (typed)

INTERVIEW LETTER

DS 156 FILLED OUT ONLINE WITH BARCODE (2 COPIES)

DS156 K filled out online (no barcode) basically just typed in (2 copies)

DS-157 filled out online (no barcode) typed in (2 copies)

DS230 form - typed

I134 form - Affidavit of Support

--Current bank statements

--1 year of tax returns/transcripts (I needed 3 yrs) w/ W2s or 1099's (if self employed)

--Employment letter(s)

--Pay stubs

--Bank letter - from bank providing acct date, average balance, deposit history

Medical Examination-completed no paperwork to take to interview, Embassy should have file

Application Fee- $100 bring receipt from Paymaster to Embassy @ interview

-Then all of your proof of your relationship. Letters, cards, Invoices/receipts from hotels, airplanes, phone bills, txt msgs, emails. Pictures. I personally had 5 pages of photos, I just made copies from my home copier/scanner onto photo paper I bought from Walmart.

Items that fiance has or must go and get:

Fiance's passport - valid for at least 6 months from the time the visa will be issued

6 Passport photos - (I had made a copy on my printer -scanned- and sent him 12 pictures)

Fiance's long form birth certificate(pinkish red and green) -

Police certificate from Kingston - valid for 1 year. The police certificate is 1,000 JMD for return in 3 weeks and 2,500 JMD for return in 3 days.

No Impediment Form- Received from LOCAL Registrar Generals office (certificate of singleness). Cost is approximately $105.00 US -- $5500 JA. Can take up to a month to receive it back, depending on the Local Office.

***U.S. Embassy Announces Changes to Immigrant Visa Document Requirements

Beginning December 1, 2005, the Immigrant Visa Unit of the Consular Section of the United States Embassy will require all Jamaica-resident applicants for immigrant visas who are aged 18 years of age and older and are in categories requiring them to be unmarried to obtain a Certificate of No-Impediment to Marriage. This new requirement will affect applicants in the IR2, IR3, IR4, F11, F22, and F24 categories who are aged 18 or older. It will also affect all Jamaica-resident children aged 18 and older who will be accompanying an immigrant visa applicant. Applicants should apply for a Certificate of No-Impediment to Marriage at any office of the Registrar General’s Department or on the Registrar General’s Department website. Applicants may find further information about this document and the form for requesting it at http://www.rgd.gov.jm.

Medical Examination -completed no paperwork to take to interview, Embassy should have file. Can't go to the medical exam withOUT the Interview letter. Make sure that you get a copy of the DS2032 (Vaccination supplement form) which is given to him/her at the medical exam. YOU MUST bring the following to your medical: 4 Passport Photos, Completed Medical History Form, Passport, Any Immunization Records Showing Prior Vaccinations and Your Appointment Letter (from the Embassy - "Packet #4")

--Non-immigrant visa application fee of $100 U.S. dollars must be paid in the amount of J$6,300 at any Paymaster Jamaica Limited branch. The fee does not have to be paid the day of the interview, we got ours 2 days prior. Paymaster locations --http://www.paymaster-online.com/locations.html

FOR K-1: A letter containing your scheduled interview date. You MUST bring this letter with you to your interview. They WILL NOT let you in the Embassy without it. Also bring Original birth certificates, and originals of any documents to support the I-134 fall into this category. They have the right to ask for the original of any document (and keep it).

Bring an updated letter of intent (for both).

KingstonIVInfo@state.gov

The U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica will move operations to

the NOB December 13, 2006. All mail and telephone calls should be

forwarded to the new location beginning December13,2006... the new primary telephone number for the U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica will be:

Country Code: 876

Main Switchboard Number: 702-6000

The Primary Fax Number will be:

Fax Number: 702-6001

Sample Interview questions -

http://www.***removed***/visas/kvisa/sample...-questions.html

FREE texting to Jamaica -

8761234567@digitextjm.com

For the Interview in Kingston. I is HIIIIIGHLY recommended that the USC attend !!! They will interview separately. For those that have been since the "new" place opened, please jump in here about what to possibly expect.

Since fiance(e)s are nonimmigrant visa applicants, they should use the I-134. They will need to submit an I-864 to BCIS when they adjust status to conditional immigrant in the United States after they are married.

If approved after the interview, you go to Airpak and that process is taking anywhere from 14 days to a month --depends on how busy they are? I would not recommend scheduling a flight because of the cost to make changes if the VISA is not to him/her in time. Airpak has pick up locations island wide, MoBay, Ochi, Town, Negril, Sav...click the link for more info http://www.airpakexpress.com/island.htm

The visa must be used within 6 months of being issued. The fiance(e) is allowed to enter the US once with the visa, with the purpose of getting married, which must happen within 90 days. The fiance(e) is not allowed to travel freely into and out of the US with the visa.

I would highly recommend trying to closest to the 90th day to get married ---it is a HUGE adjustment process.

Next step, AOS. Apply SS #, http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61575 --Civil Surgeons

I hope this information helps. Some things change, but 99% of this information remains the same.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
:lol: :lol: It's a lot of fun. Just grab the oh Sh... handle a lot. That is wonderful that u have public transportation.

Pam what did u need to get a social security card? I thought we needed to have the green card before we did this. It sounds like I am wrong. How long after you applied did it take to get the soc card?

Thanks Jax :luv:

All we took was the passport with the I-94. We went exactly 2 weeks after his arrival, and the card came in the mail 4 days later.

That was one of the easiest things to get accomplished :yes:

Thanks Pam

I will call them on Monday and see what we need to bring. We have his welcome letter with his ailen number hopefully that will work. We need that card now for school and to finish up our taxes. The IRS is giving me ####### about the ITIN number so my tax guy told me to call him with the soc number once we get it. I hope we can do this tommorrow then. :star:

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Talk about hot. Today is the hottest day in IL. Ugh and we have our family reunion outside. With heat index they said 105. My husband hates air conditioning too. :devil: He said we will live with the central air off its only 15 degrees hotter than yesterday. :help::lol: He is going to have to live one day with air when we get back from the reunion its so on and the car today its so on. :luv:

Did any of your guys husbands hate air conditiong when they came to the states??

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
MyDestiny- Thanks...for the response. My fiance is stressing out. He has tried to call them this morning and the phone lines are tied up. So he's calling me complain about how the call isn't going through. Not to mention that he still has not received Packet 3. So I will be calling the embassy today...and begging them to please let him pick them up. Packet 4 was sent out on the 27th but he hasn't received it.

If you getting married at the justice of peace, does a witness need to come along?

Donna's Certificate of No Impediment took about one and one half weeks to come through the mail to her house (Spanish Town to Kingston).

Hey Jay;

Can you tell me the procedure you have to go through to get the No Impediment and the cost of the document?

I talked with Donna last night. She told me that the No Impediment was $5500 JD. He will need his birth certificate. Donna also took her passport which they did not ask to see. Donna went to the general registra's office in Spanish Town. She said the gate opens at 6am for people to get a ticket. She was there at 8am and her ticket number was a little over a hundred. So, getting there early will save a lot of waiting time.

Thank you very much for that information Jay. I wish you all the best on the rest of your journey.

Claire

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

For all the "newbies".... please put this information in a word document or file in you email, that will help you and/or others that are going through the process. Also keep in mind that some of my information may have changed since I went through the process over a year ago.

Pertains to K1 Visas (without bringing any children here) - before sending your paperwork, make 2 copies of everything.

Suggestion for sending packet and/or interview -- put everything into binder and use ACCO fasteners. Have cover pages separating the different types of evidence and tabs at the bottom of the pages to flip between the different sections.

This is some good information. Thanks for taking the time to post.

July 21-22nd has alot going on here in the area, there's a Reggae Wine Festival (Linganore Winery)...every year, alot of fun. My favorite Reggae band is playing Sat night in the area. Artscape is that entire weekend and I just got an email this morning that there is a 2nd Annual Sand Duels BASH at RASH™ Sand Soccer Tournament--for the men it's July 22nd. If only Craig could round up some folks and play --it's at the Inner Harbor ...he only needs 6 others to play.......IF anyone (any of the guys) in this area (Baltimore/DC) is interested, please let me know ASAP !

It would only be about $35.00 to play.

I'm planning on going to the wine festival. I've gone every year for the last three years.

Timeline
MyDestiny- Thanks...for the response. My fiance is stressing out. He has tried to call them this morning and the phone lines are tied up. So he's calling me complain about how the call isn't going through. Not to mention that he still has not received Packet 3. So I will be calling the embassy today...and begging them to please let him pick them up. Packet 4 was sent out on the 27th but he hasn't received it.

If you getting married at the justice of peace, does a witness need to come along?

Donna's Certificate of No Impediment took about one and one half weeks to come through the mail to her house (Spanish Town to Kingston).

Hey Jay;

Can you tell me the procedure you have to go through to get the No Impediment and the cost of the document?

I talked with Donna last night. She told me that the No Impediment was $5500 JD. He will need his birth certificate. Donna also took her passport which they did not ask to see. Donna went to the general registra's office in Spanish Town. She said the gate opens at 6am for people to get a ticket. She was there at 8am and her ticket number was a little over a hundred. So, getting there early will save a lot of waiting time.

Thank you very much for that information Jay. I wish you all the best on the rest of your journey.

Claire

Jay;

I don't think I am going to need the Cert of Impediment because Michael was previously married and has his divorce decree. That should be proof enough that he is single and free to marry me. Thanks for the infor though. It was kinda puzzling me--not knowing what the Cert was for. I went to the RGJa site and saw the explanation.

Luv

Claire

Timeline

For the I-129F

-One paragraph of how we met. The actual date that we met, where and then the other times, dates and location (hotel) that we've seen and spent time together.

-USC letter of intent -typed (just use the sample off of the VJ website) http://www.visajourney.com/examples/Fiance...r_of_Intent.doc

INTERVIEW LETTER

DS230 form - typed

--1 year of tax returns/transcripts (I needed 3 yrs) w/ W2s or 1099's (if self employed)

--Employment letter(s)

--Pay stubs

Medical Examination-completed no paperwork to take to interview, Embassy should have file

-Then all of your proof of your relationship. Letters, cards, Invoices/receipts from hotels, airplanes, phone bills, txt msgs, emails. Pictures. I personally had 5 pages of photos, I just made copies from my home copier/scanner onto photo paper I bought from Walmart.

Fiance's passport - valid for at least 6 months from the time the visa will be issued

6 Passport photos - (I had made a copy on my printer -scanned- and sent him 12 pictures)

Police certificate from Kingston - valid for 1 year. The police certificate is 1,000 JMD for return in 3 weeks and 2,500 JMD for return in 3 days.

No Impediment Form- Received from LOCAL Registrar Generals office (certificate of singleness). Cost is approximately $105.00 US -- $5500 JA. Can take up to a month to receive it back, depending on the Local Office.

Beginning December 1, 2005, the Immigrant Visa Unit of the Consular Section of the United States Embassy will require all Jamaica-resident applicants for immigrant visas who are aged 18 years of age and older and are in categories requiring them to be unmarried to obtain a Certificate of No-Impediment to Marriage. This new requirement will affect applicants in the IR2, IR3, IR4, F11, F22, and F24 categories who are aged 18 or older. It will also affect all Jamaica-resident children aged 18 and older who will be accompanying an immigrant visa applicant. Applicants should apply for a Certificate of No-Impediment to Marriage at any office of the Registrar General’s Department or on the Registrar General’s Department website. Applicants may find further information about this document and the form for requesting it at http://www.rgd.gov.jm.

Medical Examination -completed no paperwork to take to interview, Embassy should have file. Can't go to the medical exam withOUT the Interview letter. Make sure that you get a copy of the DS2032 (Vaccination supplement form) which is given to him/her at the medical exam. YOU MUST bring the following to your medical: 4 Passport Photos, Completed Medical History Form, Passport, Any Immunization Records Showing Prior Vaccinations and Your Appointment Letter (from the Embassy - "Packet #4")

--Non-immigrant visa application fee of $100 U.S. dollars must be paid in the amount of J$6,300 at any Paymaster Jamaica Limited branch. The fee does not have to be paid the day of the interview, we got ours 2 days prior. Paymaster locations --http://www.paymaster-online.com/locations.html

FOR K-1: A letter containing your scheduled interview date. You MUST bring this letter with you to your interview. They WILL NOT let you in the Embassy without it. Also bring Original birth certificates, and originals of any documents to support the I-134 fall into this category. They have the right to ask for the original of any document (and keep it).

KingstonIVInfo@state.gov

forwarded to the new location beginning December13,2006... the new primary telephone number for the U.S. Embassy in Kingston, Jamaica will be:

For the Interview in Kingston. I is HIIIIIGHLY recommended that the USC attend !!! They will interview separately. For those that have been since the "new" place opened, please jump in here about what to possibly expect.

Since fiance(e)s are nonimmigrant visa applicants, they should use the I-134. They will need to submit an I-864 to BCIS when they adjust status to conditional immigrant in the United States after they are married.

If approved after the interview, you go to Airpak and that process is taking anywhere from 14 days to a month --depends on how busy they are? I would not recommend scheduling a flight because of the cost to make changes if the VISA is not to him/her in time. Airpak has pick up locations island wide, MoBay, Ochi, Town, Negril, Sav...click the link for more info http://www.airpakexpress.com/island.htm

The visa must be used within 6 months of being issued. The fiance(e) is allowed to enter the US once with the visa, with the purpose of getting married, which must happen within 90 days. The fiance(e) is not allowed to travel freely into and out of the US with the visa.

I would highly recommend trying to closest to the 90th day to get married ---it is a HUGE adjustment process.

Next step, AOS. Apply SS #, http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61575 --Civil Surgeons

I hope this information helps. Some things change, but 99% of this information remains the same.

WOW girl, you really have it all together. I printed this info out so that I can refer to it when I start my journey next year. This is really some awesome stuff. Thanks a million for that post.

I am proud to have your post to refer to.

Big Up

Claire

Timeline

For the I-129F

INTERVIEW LETTER

DS230 form - typed

--Employment letter(s)

--Pay stubs

KingstonIVInfo@state.gov

WOW girl, you really have it all together. I printed this info out so that I can refer to it when I start my journey next year. This is really some awesome stuff. Thanks a million for that post.

I am proud to have your post to refer to.

Big Up

Claire

Hey Girl;

I see that you highly recommend the USC attend the interview. What if you can't? My job works on a schedule that is prepared on an 8-weeks basis and any request for time-off has to be submitted at least 4-weeks before the schedule is posted. Is it detrimental if you possibly can't attend? What if you submit all the required info and proof of relationship? I am beginning to panic (I tend to have an over-active imagination) even though I have not yet filed. :wacko: LOL :blush:

Girl I am nuts about this guy and am desperate for him to join me here.

ADVICE?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.