Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I'm thinking at this point due to the whole interview delay, it might be better for me to pursue the I-90 in JA as opposed to adjusting status here, since he will definatly get here after July 30th. It looks like the AOS and EAD will cost $1300.00 after July 30th as opposed to the $540.00 or see I need to pay to continue with the I-90. My question is does will he need to file for advance parole to go to JA seeing that the K-3 in a re-entry visa?

I'm also thinking that this whole delay thing in JA has to do with the new fees coming into effect.

What is a I-90? Do you mean I-130? If so then you will need to pay $200 for the I-824 to have it forwarded to the consulate and that whole process will cost you another $650. For $50 more you can get him here faster.

Yes if he comes up on a K3 visa he will not need the AP.

so all together the process will cost $850. if I proceed with the I-130 at this point?

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I got an interview date.....July 17th....I'm soooo happy, so I won't be making that date at all as the due date is 7/12, but at least I know what I'm working with....I'm so happy. I haven't even told him yet. lol

Wow! Congrats! :dance: So I take it the Kingston embassy is conducting interviews after all? Marlon should be getting my package any day now which contains the DS-230 part 1, once he submits that they will give him an interview date, correct?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
the only time I got checked was when I went down for my wedding. then I covienced the customs officer that all my guests were coming down from the states. I told her I knew no one in JA. I find it helps if u put a resort on the slip and say that is where u are staying.

No helps....I say it is mandatory to put a resort on the slip. Otherwise, they grill you like you cannot imagine.

the only time I got checked was when I went down for my wedding. then I covienced the customs officer that all my guests were coming down from the states. I told her I knew no one in JA. I find it helps if u put a resort on the slip and say that is where u are staying.

this is all soo true...they only time i got checked was when i went to a lady...i had sandels...couple pair of pants for mike and some other things...but i guess they never looked to close cause mike's shoes are HUGE...size 15...also i think it helpes cause i was pretty sick and i think they felt bad and wanted me to get on my way or so i wouldn't get them sick :lol::lol: like jomo said take the tags stickers everything off and pack into your stuff like it is yours...

this might be a dumb question...but when we got back and mike brings some thing back for his family will he be able to claim it without paying or do we need to sneak that stuff in as well?

Have to sneak it in as well.

I SO agree with all the remarks about female customs officers, EVERY time I've gone down and a female customs officer has stopped me, they've searched me....

I take the tags off all the presents I'm bringing down and stuff items inside one another etc....If you have anything like a cellphone, put it in your handbag, they NEVER searched mine.....

Anna -- <Thankfully> we never really send any $$$ down to Roy's family. In the past year I think we have only done it a few times. Saturday I sent $50.00 to his sister (Western Union) and the Currency Exchange charged me $11.00 Service Fee (I am used to sending in higher increments to Roy - then the Service Fee didn't really hurt as much). I know you and Javon have a bank account set up in JA for this. Can you please tell me how you do it? What bank it is and how YOU deposit money into the account.

It just might be worth it to do it this way.....

I think if you open an account in the States with an ATM card that carries the Cirrus/Visa/Mastercard logo, and then just send the card down, they can then just draw out the money in an ATM machine in Jamaica.

Yah, they have never checked my purse either. And only once my bags and that is cause I had a woman.

I have a question about an item in the packet 3 info that nannygirl82 posted this past Wednesday. I am divorced. Does the embassy require a certified copy of that marriage certificate in addition to the certified divorce decree? Why would they need both? Do I need to get back up to the courthouse for a certified marriage certificate?

I didn't need a certified copy of my marriage certificate. I didn't turn in a copy of the marriage certificate. Just the certified copy of the divorce decree. It's pretty obvious you were married by then.

It seems that when dealing with the government that logic does not come into play. Because the packet 3 asks for a certified marriage certificate I ordered mine through usavital.com for $56. I did not want to take off work and drive into downtown Atlanta to get a copy.

Does anyone have a good estimate of days between when Kingston gets the paperwork and the interview? Our paperwork should arrive down there the first of next week. Donna needs to know because of her work. She will need to train someone in order to take her two weeks vacation. She wants to schedule her vacation just before the interivew.

It really all depends on what is happening there at this time. Looks to me like appointments are at least a month in advance right now, if not longer. Plus, there are still some things for you to do in the meantime that will determine how fast you get an appointment.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

No helps....I say it is mandatory to put a resort on the slip. Otherwise, they grill you like you cannot imagine.

this is all soo true...they only time i got checked was when i went to a lady...i had sandels...couple pair of pants for mike and some other things...but i guess they never looked to close cause mike's shoes are HUGE...size 15...also i think it helpes cause i was pretty sick and i think they felt bad and wanted me to get on my way or so i wouldn't get them sick :lol::lol: like jomo said take the tags stickers everything off and pack into your stuff like it is yours...

this might be a dumb question...but when we got back and mike brings some thing back for his family will he be able to claim it without paying or do we need to sneak that stuff in as well?

Have to sneak it in as well.

I SO agree with all the remarks about female customs officers, EVERY time I've gone down and a female customs officer has stopped me, they've searched me....

I take the tags off all the presents I'm bringing down and stuff items inside one another etc....If you have anything like a cellphone, put it in your handbag, they NEVER searched mine.....

Anna -- <Thankfully> we never really send any $$$ down to Roy's family. In the past year I think we have only done it a few times. Saturday I sent $50.00 to his sister (Western Union) and the Currency Exchange charged me $11.00 Service Fee (I am used to sending in higher increments to Roy - then the Service Fee didn't really hurt as much). I know you and Javon have a bank account set up in JA for this. Can you please tell me how you do it? What bank it is and how YOU deposit money into the account.

I think if you open an account in the States with an ATM card that carries the Cirrus/Visa/Mastercard logo, and then just send the card down, they can then just draw out the money in an ATM machine in Jamaica.

Yah, they have never checked my purse either. And only once my bags and that is cause I had a woman.

I have a question about an item in the packet 3 info that nannygirl82 posted this past Wednesday. I am divorced. Does the embassy require a certified copy of that marriage certificate in addition to the certified divorce decree? Why would they need both? Do I need to get back up to the courthouse for a certified marriage certificate?

I didn't need a certified copy of my marriage certificate. I didn't turn in a copy of the marriage certificate. Just the certified copy of the divorce decree. It's pretty obvious you were married by then.

It seems that when dealing with the government that logic does not come into play. Because the packet 3 asks for a certified marriage certificate I ordered mine through usavital.com for $56. I did not want to take off work and drive into downtown Atlanta to get a copy.

Does anyone have a good estimate of days between when Kingston gets the paperwork and the interview? Our paperwork should arrive down there the first of next week. Donna needs to know because of her work. She will need to train someone in order to take her two weeks vacation. She wants to schedule her vacation just before the interivew.

It really all depends on what is happening there at this time. Looks to me like appointments are at least a couple of months in advance right now, if not longer. Plus, there are still some things for you to do in the meantime that will determine how fast you get an appointment.

I feel really sorry for you guys right now. Ours went so much faster last year.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Does anyone have an approximate cost to ship a large box to JA? What would be the best way to do it? I am thinking that I am going to send my guests wedding favors down a month early so that we don't have to bring all that stuff on the plane. I'm just trying to figure out how much it may cost me. I'm ordering them next month...On a side note, I wanted to put 2gether a little welcome bag for my guests coming from the states...any ideas as to what I should put in them? I'm not thinking anything too expensive, maybe 3 or 4 small items?

Hey, I think it is sooo much more expensive to ship anything..I also got married in Jamaica..i brought all my gifts, everything with me..they charged me a small fee..very small...i would rather pay the excess baggage than ship...how many ppl goin with u..r they all carrying 2 bags..if not they can bring stuff for you

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
I got an interview date.....July 17th....I'm soooo happy, so I won't be making that date at all as the due date is 7/12, but at least I know what I'm working with....I'm so happy. I haven't even told him yet. lol

CONGRATS !! :dance:

we also got a date for July 31st.....

MOTIVATE A CHILD... SUPPORT OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE, INC. WE NEED A BRIGHTER TOMORROW !!!!!!

Timeline
hahah i go in the male lines too i have never gotten checked BUT when i came back to the US the last time i got thouroughly checked they went through all my things i had to go into another room and then a officer met me to get my bags and then checked them all he even asked if my shoes were new, how i got to the airport where were my car keys asked if i paid for my own ticket and how and how much it cost wow.

I haven't been searched going to JA but used to coming back. When I come back I always have a luggage w/food (from fry fish, fruits, sorrel, cane, coconut drops, ackee, ect). When they asked if I had any food I would say yes but now I've learned to say no b/c they would take some of them.

I do the same.."any fruits, fish anything"?..Nope..ok have a nice night ...ahahha..love it...I never declare anything...especially at night never get harrassed....

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

kimmy & jengles

oh i'm so glad you two finally have your interview dates! please tell me exactly what you all did in order to get it. did you call the embassy? did the embassy notify the beneficiary? i emailed the embassy a week ago and still no response. i need an interview date no later than early august!

thanks

Timeline
Hi Guys!! Hope all is well with everyone. Nothing new to report on this end. Roy is <finally, finally, finally> working full-time and loving every minute of it -- Mee too!! :dance: :energetic:

Actually we have a US acct at JNBS that I send money via Citibank. He had it for years since he was working in Cayman, so we added me to his acct. We would like to open another joint acct just not sure which bank yet. Looking for the best interest rate b/c we would like to build a house in the next 10 yrs. It takes a fews days for the funds to get posted but it's there for emergency only!! We have a All Access Debit card that I purchased from the CX but I load money all the time. This way he can use it at any ATM for whatever or use it as a visa purchase if needed. It saves us a huge amount.

I had to provide my passport, driver license, & SS# to be added to his acct.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
I'm thinking at this point due to the whole interview delay, it might be better for me to pursue the I-90 in JA as opposed to adjusting status here, since he will definatly get here after July 30th. It looks like the AOS and EAD will cost $1300.00 after July 30th as opposed to the $540.00 or see I need to pay to continue with the I-90. My question is does will he need to file for advance parole to go to JA seeing that the K-3 in a re-entry visa?

I'm also thinking that this whole delay thing in JA has to do with the new fees coming into effect.

What is a I-90? Do you mean I-130? If so then you will need to pay $200 for the I-824 to have it forwarded to the consulate and that whole process will cost you another $650. For $50 more you can get him here faster.

Yes if he comes up on a K3 visa he will not need the AP.

so all together the process will cost $850. if I proceed with the I-130 at this point?

For the entire I-130 (w/129f filed) it will be $840 in your case since the I-129f was forwarded and not the I-130. However, if you just filed the CR-1 (w/o the I-129f) it would have been $640. You said eariler the fees were going up to $1300 for the AOS. Is that correct? If so then for $650 you can finish out the CR-1 then he will recv his green card & SS card when he arrive OR you can pay the $1300 for his AOS after he comes and on top of that pay add'l $100 for the interview. Also remember if you were to apply for the I-824 (Action for Approved Petition) it may take a while for that to be approved. You might want to do a search to see how long others have took for that to get approved as well.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It really all depends on what is happening there at this time. Looks to me like appointments are at least a couple of months in advance right now, if not longer. Plus, there are still some things for you to do in the meantime that will determine how fast you get an appointment.

I feel really sorry for you guys right now. Ours went so much faster last year.

What are some of the things I need to be doing now to speed up our appointment date? I know that having the DS-230 part 1 ready to turn in when packet 3 is picked up will save a few days. Thank you Jomo's girl for staying back to help.

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Timeline
Xoom.com has $3.99 money transfers to Jamaica. Also, free Washington Mutual checking accounts have free money transfers into certain Jamaican banks.

A Washington Mutual debit card works in Scotiabank ATM's there in Jamaica for a small fee. When I am in Jamaica I take a small amount of money and use the card while there.

:lol: I just closed our WaMu checking account -- I knew about the free money transfers but we just never send it so we never used it.

Thank you. I will check into Xoom.com

also check into https://www.ikobo.com/ it is great goes the other person gets a check card and it is an instant transfer

Timeline
kimmy & jengles

oh i'm so glad you two finally have your interview dates! please tell me exactly what you all did in order to get it. did you call the embassy? did the embassy notify the beneficiary? i emailed the embassy a week ago and still no response. i need an interview date no later than early august!

thanks

U should try emailing again b/c i also emailed about 1wk go..and then again today and they replied to the one today...Just keep emailing...both email addresses. I was hoping to get an earlier date but i is what it is..at least we got one I guess :blink:

Timeline

Be careful on that. My friends who are immigration officer sometimes can tell if you are lying. They told me sometimes they ask for proof if you are suspicious. I did that last time cause I had a couple days confirmed in Kingston but the girl asked my guy friends if I was cool . So this is just a warning.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline
Right now I am trying to figure out how we can keep his hair. It will probably need to be shaved in 5 years when he graduates because he has decided to study music ed :dance: . This is great compared to a police officer. Fewww.

:blink: Why would he have to shave his head to study music ed??? :unsure: That's crazy. Ask around - I'm sure you can find someone who braids hair on the side.

Rhonda we found someone for 35 dollars. My sister in law says that is good she is from the Bronx. We called another lady who was going to charge more to wash his hair. He is happy. He also called his barber and bought the same electric razor that he uses.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.