Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
the only time I got checked was when I went down for my wedding. then I covienced the customs officer that all my guests were coming down from the states. I told her I knew no one in JA. I find it helps if u put a resort on the slip and say that is where u are staying.

this is all soo true...they only time i got checked was when i went to a lady...i had sandels...couple pair of pants for mike and some other things...but i guess they never looked to close cause mike's shoes are HUGE...size 15...also i think it helpes cause i was pretty sick and i think they felt bad and wanted me to get on my way or so i wouldn't get them sick :lol::lol: like jomo said take the tags stickers everything off and pack into your stuff like it is yours...

this might be a dumb question...but when we got back and mike brings some thing back for his family will he be able to claim it without paying or do we need to sneak that stuff in as well?

Edited by nannygirl82

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I have a question about an item in the packet 3 info that nannygirl82 posted this past Wednesday. I am divorced. Does the embassy require a certified copy of that marriage certificate in addition to the certified divorce decree? Why would they need both? Do I need to get back up to the courthouse for a certified marriage certificate?

I didn't need a certified copy of my marriage certificate. I didn't turn in a copy of the marriage certificate. Just the certified copy of the divorce decree. It's pretty obvious you were married by then.

It seems that when dealing with the government that logic does not come into play. Because the packet 3 asks for a certified marriage certificate I ordered mine through usavital.com for $56. I did not want to take off work and drive into downtown Atlanta to get a copy.

Does anyone have a good estimate of days between when Kingston gets the paperwork and the interview? Our paperwork should arrive down there the first of next week. Donna needs to know because of her work. She will need to train someone in order to take her two weeks vacation. She wants to schedule her vacation just before the interivew.

hhhm sorry but i really don't know...i know some people have called to schedule the interview a couple of weeks after the ds230 is turned in....so you might want to think about doing that..

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
the only time I got checked was when I went down for my wedding. then I covienced the customs officer that all my guests were coming down from the states. I told her I knew no one in JA. I find it helps if u put a resort on the slip and say that is where u are staying.

this is all soo true...they only time i got checked was when i went to a lady...i had sandels...couple pair of pants for mike and some other things...but i guess they never looked to close cause mike's shoes are HUGE...size 15...also i think it helpes cause i was pretty sick and i think they felt bad and wanted me to get on my way or so i wouldn't get them sick :lol::lol: like jomo said take the tags stickers everything off and pack into your stuff like it is yours...

this might be a dumb question...but when we got back and mike brings some thing back for his family will he be able to claim it without paying or do we need to sneak that stuff in as well?

residents of JA can bring in up to $500.00 of stuff duty free. but I think they search them all returning residents that is , from what I see at the airport.

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Hi Guys!! Hope all is well with everyone. Nothing new to report on this end. Roy is <finally, finally, finally> working full-time and loving every minute of it -- Mee too!! :dance: :energetic:

Anna -- <Thankfully> we never really send any $$$ down to Roy's family. In the past year I think we have only done it a few times. Saturday I sent $50.00 to his sister (Western Union) and the Currency Exchange charged me $11.00 Service Fee (I am used to sending in higher increments to Roy - then the Service Fee didn't really hurt as much). I know you and Javon have a bank account set up in JA for this. Can you please tell me how you do it? What bank it is and how YOU deposit money into the account.

It just might be worth it to do it this way.....

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

I SO agree with all the remarks about female customs officers, EVERY time I've gone down and a female customs officer has stopped me, they've searched me....

I take the tags off all the presents I'm bringing down and stuff items inside one another etc....If you have anything like a cellphone, put it in your handbag, they NEVER searched mine.....

Anna -- <Thankfully> we never really send any $$$ down to Roy's family. In the past year I think we have only done it a few times. Saturday I sent $50.00 to his sister (Western Union) and the Currency Exchange charged me $11.00 Service Fee (I am used to sending in higher increments to Roy - then the Service Fee didn't really hurt as much). I know you and Javon have a bank account set up in JA for this. Can you please tell me how you do it? What bank it is and how YOU deposit money into the account.

I think if you open an account in the States with an ATM card that carries the Cirrus/Visa/Mastercard logo, and then just send the card down, they can then just draw out the money in an ATM machine in Jamaica.

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Quick hello to everyone.

Jax - congrats and welcome to your hubby!

Another congrats to all those with recent approvals/interviews.

N-400 - Naturalization/Citizenship

10/26/12 - Sent N-400 packet to Phoenix lockbox via USPS mail w/Certified Delivery, received 10/29/12, check cashed 11/02/12

11/05/12 - NOA-1 received, notice date 10/31/2012, received and priority date 10/29/2012

11/09/12 - Biometrics notice received, biometrics appointment date 11/19/12

11/21/12 - In line for interview scheduling (letter received via USPS mail 12/17/12)

01/16/13 - N-400 interview/testing - APPROVED! Oath ceremony letter received late Jan. 2013

02/26/13 - OATH CEREMONY COMPLETED - NATURALIZED US CITIZEN!

751 - Removing Conditions

06/28/08 - Sent 751 packet to CSC via USPS Priority Mail (signature required)

07/05/08 - NOA received, dated 6/30/08

10/23/08 - Card ordered: APPROVED! (USCIS website)

10/30/08 - 10 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

K-1 and AOS

07/07/05 - K1 Packet received - USPS tracking

09/19/05 - K1 approval online

12/01/05 - 1st K1 interview in Kingston: need updated birth certificate

12/13/05 - 2nd K1 interview in Kingston: Approved!

05/01/06 - AOS/EAD packet received

08/09/06 - AOS interview in SF: APPROVED!

08/19/06 - 2 YR GREENCARD RECEIVED

-----------

Live your life!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi Guys!! Hope all is well with everyone. Nothing new to report on this end. Roy is <finally, finally, finally> working full-time and loving every minute of it -- Mee too!! :dance: :energetic:

Xoom.com has $3.99 money transfers to Jamaica. Also, free Washington Mutual checking accounts have free money transfers into certain Jamaican banks.

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Xoom.com has $3.99 money transfers to Jamaica. Also, free Washington Mutual checking accounts have free money transfers into certain Jamaican banks.

A Washington Mutual debit card works in Scotiabank ATM's there in Jamaica for a small fee. When I am in Jamaica I take a small amount of money and use the card while there.

AOS Journey:

30-Aug-2007 Arrived in US!!!

27-Nov-2007 Married

23-Jan-2008 Mailed AOS package

25-Jan-2008 AOS package received in Chicago

1-Feb-2008 Checks cashed

4-Feb-2008 received NOA for I-485 & I-765 in the mail

22-Feb-2008 Biometrics Appointment

31-Mar-2008 EAD Card Production

5-Apr-2008 Received EAD in mail

8-Apr-2008 Applied for SS

19-May-2008 SS card arrived in mail

19-May-2008 AOS approval arrived in mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I'm thinking at this point due to the whole interview delay, it might be better for me to pursue the I-90 in JA as opposed to adjusting status here, since he will definatly get here after July 30th. It looks like the AOS and EAD will cost $1300.00 after July 30th as opposed to the $540.00 or see I need to pay to continue with the I-90. My question is does will he need to file for advance parole to go to JA seeing that the K-3 in a re-entry visa?

I'm also thinking that this whole delay thing in JA has to do with the new fees coming into effect.

What is a I-90? Do you mean I-130? If so then you will need to pay $200 for the I-824 to have it forwarded to the consulate and that whole process will cost you another $650. For $50 more you can get him here faster.

Yes if he comes up on a K3 visa he will not need the AP.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Timeline
I have a question about an item in the packet 3 info that nannygirl82 posted this past Wednesday. I am divorced. Does the embassy require a certified copy of that marriage certificate in addition to the certified divorce decree? Why would they need both? Do I need to get back up to the courthouse for a certified marriage certificate?

I didn't need a certified copy of my marriage certificate. I didn't turn in a copy of the marriage certificate. Just the certified copy of the divorce decree. It's pretty obvious you were married by then.

It seems that when dealing with the government that logic does not come into play. Because the packet 3 asks for a certified marriage certificate I ordered mine through usavital.com for $56. I did not want to take off work and drive into downtown Atlanta to get a copy.

Does anyone have a good estimate of days between when Kingston gets the paperwork and the interview? Our paperwork should arrive down there the first of next week. Donna needs to know because of her work. She will need to train someone in order to take her two weeks vacation. She wants to schedule her vacation just before the interivew.

Based on other timelines, the interview is usually 2-3 months once the DS-230 is recv'd. But also remember anything can happen. I know right now there is a delay and it can get worse. I also think there is some where on the website that have that answer. It's been a while since I've been on the Embassy website.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline
hahah i go in the male lines too i have never gotten checked BUT when i came back to the US the last time i got thouroughly checked they went through all my things i had to go into another room and then a officer met me to get my bags and then checked them all he even asked if my shoes were new, how i got to the airport where were my car keys asked if i paid for my own ticket and how and how much it cost wow.

I haven't been searched going to JA but used to coming back. When I come back I always have a luggage w/food (from fry fish, fruits, sorrel, cane, coconut drops, ackee, ect). When they asked if I had any food I would say yes but now I've learned to say no b/c they would take some of them.

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

.png

.png

Timeline

Does anyone have an approximate cost to ship a large box to JA? What would be the best way to do it? I am thinking that I am going to send my guests wedding favors down a month early so that we don't have to bring all that stuff on the plane. I'm just trying to figure out how much it may cost me. I'm ordering them next month...On a side note, I wanted to put 2gether a little welcome bag for my guests coming from the states...any ideas as to what I should put in them? I'm not thinking anything too expensive, maybe 3 or 4 small items?

4ABAm4.png

Removing Conditions:

10/27/11: Petition mailed to VSC

10/28/11: Package received and signed for by Renaud

10/31/11: NOA1

A Washington Mutual debit card works in Scotiabank ATM's there in Jamaica for a small fee. When I am in Jamaica I take a small amount of money and use the card while there.

:lol: I just closed our WaMu checking account -- I knew about the free money transfers but we just never send it so we never used it.

Thank you. I will check into Xoom.com

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I got an interview date.....July 17th....I'm soooo happy, so I won't be making that date at all as the due date is 7/12, but at least I know what I'm working with....I'm so happy. I haven't even told him yet. lol

4462482_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Me turn professional panhandler!!! but mi look good, don't??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.