Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 4)

10,487 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Tell me about the fish. Found a market in Baltimore the other day that had fish from the Caribbean like King Fish and Snapper. My wife went crazy. When I got to the register and the woman said $130.00 I almost wanted to cry. But after she complained so much about th whiting fillet, I just could not deny her the fish. I told her she need to make it last real long. Suffice to say whenever I cook fish, there is some chicken at the side.

We go to our local Asian market to get salt fish. It starts at $3.99 a pound, which isn't bad, but the seasionings, anything imported from JA is very expensive.

We brought back quite a bit of saltfish from Jamaica when she moved here in November. We still have a lot in the refrigerator. Salt fish is expensive here so I only get it when someone goes to Jamaica. I have a friend travelling there next month and gave her a list already. But some cabbage with salt fish is to die for. Actually anything with saltfish taste good. If you go to a Caribbean store it may be less expensive than your regular market.

How do you bring fish back from JA?

Edited by Denden

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

• Replies 10.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just telling a friend how I don't like soca but the worst thing about it is that when I hear it I can't stay still. Even if I refuse to dance to it, I have to move. :lol: I'm in NY, so you know about the Parkway on Labor Day! :dance::dance::dance:

I don't like soca either. It has the same affect on me. :dancing:

Edited by Denden

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Tell me about the fish. Found a market in Baltimore the other day that had fish from the Caribbean like King Fish and Snapper. My wife went crazy. When I got to the register and the woman said $130.00 I almost wanted to cry. But after she complained so much about th whiting fillet, I just could not deny her the fish. I told her she need to make it last real long. Suffice to say whenever I cook fish, there is some chicken at the side.

We go to our local Asian market to get salt fish. It starts at $3.99 a pound, which isn't bad, but the seasionings, anything imported from JA is very expensive.

We brought back quite a bit of saltfish from Jamaica when she moved here in November. We still have a lot in the refrigerator. Salt fish is expensive here so I only get it when someone goes to Jamaica. I have a friend travelling there next month and gave her a list already. But some cabbage with salt fish is to die for. Actually anything with saltfish taste good. If you go to a Caribbean store it may be less expensive than your regular market.

How do you bring fish back from JA?

Salt fish was no problem. Pack it in a suitcase like anything else. For the fresh fish, we had it fried and I had taken my food saver down with me in November. We brought back two suitcases with only food. We expected problems at JFK. They would not give you a problem if it is cooked or preserved like being salted.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Jamaicans have a thing about beef. Most do not seem to like it. Pork , fish, chicken. No beef. My wife and I always used to get into it when we go out to eat at restaurants. Take a Jamaican to a non Caribbean restaurant and there is going to be a problem cause they are not into experimenting. So she would go over the menu forever. And I would be sitting there hungry. Now as soon as I get to the restaurant and waiting to be seated, I get the menu and have her go over it. By the time we are seated, she has picked out the fish dish. I thought she would love Olive Garden. Never again. But Red lobster and cheesecake factory are ok to deal with.

Do you guys find it a challenge when you take your hubby out to eat at a Restaurant that does not serve Caribbean food? Tell me I am not the only one who wants to pull my hair out because they canot find anything on the menu.

I was surprised that Damien loves Olive Garden. Hates the Cheesecake Factory...my favorite place. His favorite so far is the Outback...we went there Wednesday night and he ate 6 loaves of their bread....I was so embarrassed :unsure: but he couldn't stop smiling. He always order grilled chicken everywhere we go...even at IHOP.

Edited by sjb1221

Timeline
I was just telling a friend how I don't like soca but the worst thing about it is that when I hear it I can't stay still. Even if I refuse to dance to it, I have to move. :lol: I'm in NY, so you know about the Parkway on Labor Day! :dance::dance::dance:

Guess you folks would not like to see my behavior with soca. Jamaicans like reggea and Trinidadians like soca. Being from Trinidad, it in my blood. Iffeisha does not like it either, but when we are together she gets loose because I just act crazy.

Jamaicans have a thing about beef. Most do not seem to like it. Pork , fish, chicken. No beef. My wife and I always used to get into it when we go out to eat at restaurants. Take a Jamaican to a non Caribbean restaurant and there is going to be a problem cause they are not into experimenting. So she would go over the menu forever. And I would be sitting there hungry. Now as soon as I get to the restaurant and waiting to be seated, I get the menu and have her go over it. By the time we are seated, she has picked out the fish dish. I thought she would love Olive Garden. Never again. But Red lobster and cheesecake factory are ok to deal with.

Do you guys find it a challenge when you take your hubby out to eat at a Restaurant that does not serve Caribbean food? Tell me I am not the only one who wants to pull my hair out because they canot find anything on the menu.

I was surprised that Damien loves Olive Garden. Hates the Cheesecake Factory...my favorite place. His favorite so far is the Outback...we went there Wednesday night and he ate 6 loaves of their bread....I was so embarrassed :unsure: but he couldn't stop smiling. He always order grilled chicken everywhere we go...even at IHOP.

There is a spicy Jamaican jerk blackpepper chicken at cheesecake factory. he should try that when he goes back. Tell them to hold the black beans though.

It drives me nuts!!! Went out a couple of weeks ago. He ordered stake for the first time. I bout died, in disbelief when he actually ate it. So we don't usually eat out, he likes to save money. If we do we go to an all you can eat place like Hometown buffet so he can eat all the grilled chicken and fish he wants. :wacko:

Timeline
I just have to make sure there is chicken and fish being served. And no shellfish. He is alergic to that. No beef, no pork, no ricotta cheese....I make a good and easy chicken pot pie and he does not like the gravy. I make a good lasagna he doesn't like ricotta.

He does make an awesome curry chicken for me. I could eat that everyday.

I cannot wait to get the grill out but when I told him it was propane he shook his head. No wood... Okay, so I will get him a small charcoal grill to use. I like my propane. Quick and easy....

My grill came out when Iffeisha arrived in November. We were grillig even when it snowed. I told her to get accustomed because I do not cook inside during the summer. too hot here in Baltimore even with AC. I even stop baking bread when the summer comes around. Yes, I do bake bread because my wife will not eat the store bought bread. Got the recipe from my mother and added my own twist, grated coconut. When Iffeisha cut those nails, she will be making her own bread. I am working on her getting some shorter ones when these come off.

Timeline
For cooked Carribean food , we go to a Restaurant downtown Baltimore at the corner of Saratoga and Light street. Best ox tails and they have patties to die for. The fresh food market in Silver Spring is off New Hampshire right after University Blvd. Head south on New Hampshire from 495 , go past University Blvd and look for the sign after the first light. Baltimore may be easier. take 695West to exit 18, Randallstown exit, get onto Liberty Road. Go through two lights. Look for the Burger King restaurant on your right. Right after Burger King there is a Carribean market that has been opened for about 3 months now. If you get to the Walgreens you've gone too far. No cooked food, but the best selecton of fresh Caribbean foods in Baltimore. If your hubby likes fish, they have everything he could want. we brought some kingfish head the other day and made some fish tea/ soup. Oh my God! The fish was so fresh and tasty. As for the snapper, to die for. My mother tells me look at the fish eyes and if they have not yet changed white then they are pretty fresh. Something to remember.

That's the same grocery store we go to. Caribbean Delight is down the street from there...Damien loves their ackee and saltfish. We don't live far from there but we only go every 4-6 months. We'll try the store in Baltimore. I don't mind the driving if it makes him happy.

I just have to make sure there is chicken and fish being served. And no shellfish. He is alergic to that. No beef, no pork, no ricotta cheese....I make a good and easy chicken pot pie and he does not like the gravy. I make a good lasagna he doesn't like ricotta.

He does make an awesome curry chicken for me. I could eat that everyday.

I cannot wait to get the grill out but when I told him it was propane he shook his head. No wood... Okay, so I will get him a small charcoal grill to use. I like my propane. Quick and easy....

We fought about the propane all last year, and lighter fluid I better not dare use it. He rather start it with wood found from God knows where :wacko: and why buy wood chips when the is wood lying around in the back yard? :help:

Timeline

I feel 'ya. I used to walk out of the club when they played soca too long. But my bellydancing instructor is from Barbados so I learned how to dance to it. Dancing to it is a great work out...we dance from one side of the room to the other..parade style...good cardio.

Timeline
There is a spicy Jamaican jerk blackpepper chicken at cheesecake factory. he should try that when he goes back. Tell them to hold the black beans though.

Thanks. I'll try to get him to go back...once he doesn't like a place...that's it.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Kelly....it's called peanut porridge....not soup.....

Peanut Porridge

This is one of the most recent food craze in Jamaica.Peanut porridge is boiled on the street side and many individuals do not feel their day complete without this meal. It is said to be a good energy food and last for hours

when we went to kingston we stopped and got it....so good...

Cooking Time: 35 minutes

Serves: 4-6

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons grated onion

1 stalk celery, thinly sliced

2 tablespoons flour

3 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

2 tablespoons dry sherry

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons chopped dry roasted peanut

METHOD / DIRECTIONS:

In medium sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.

Add onion and celery and sauté 5 minutes.

Stir in flour and mix until well blended.

Gradually stir in chicken broth. Stirring to keep mixture smooth, simmer 30 minutes.

Remove from heat and strain. Return liquid to heat and stir in peanut butter, sherry, lemon juice and salt.

Heat through and serve garnished with chopped peanuts.

Timeline
Thank GOD that Craig loves ALL the food here. He's NOT picky....if he was, cheeeez to add onto all of the other stuff we've been through !!!!

Damien loves all food here too...not picky at all.

Timeline
Thank GOD that Craig loves ALL the food here. He's NOT picky....if he was, cheeeez to add onto all of the other stuff we've been through !!!!

Damien loves all food here too...not picky at all.

I've tried to be open minded about the food. I even tasted a piece of deer meat. Yuck! But to be honest, I am worried about being in the USA and changing from my relatively healthy diet of fish, chicken and greens to all the cholesterol-laden foods and becoming over-weight and more prone to things like heart disease.

I'm sorry, but a big old slab of medium rare, blood-oozing steak on my plate with eggs for breakfast on a sunday morning is a bit too much. Jay's feelings were hurt but in the end he understood. I miss my callaloo and saltfish with plantain (and or porridge) on a sunday morning.

:blush:

Edited by Jayandmars

From a little cottage in Negril all the way to Vermont.[br].png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.