2,192 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

That really doesn't have to be the case. People have been approved with a waiver in way less than 6 months. It also depends on your local office. Mine for example is NYC and if I need an interview I probably won't even get one until January / February 2019. So I'd much rather get an interview waiver and and not have to worry about the super late interview.

There is no proof that a waiver takes much longer than those with interviews. The only exceptions are those with field offices with interview wait times of about 100 days compared to 200+.

11 minutes ago, mhbrz said:

Do you know anyone who gets an interview waiver has to wait atleast 6 more months to get the green card ? If I were you I would pray that my AOS interview gets scheduled because then the processing time is 'normal' but with the waiver the processing is wayyyy too slow.

Best of luck !

I know that it takes a while but what's the difference? I can work and travel and have what I need to renew that if processing takes that long. 

If I get a waiver I don't have to worry and stress about gathering evidence and going through another interview at this time. My husband and I won't have to take time off work, I know he doesn't have to but he would.

Even if I do have to wait, I'd prefer a waiver. 

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

3 minutes ago, shayden10 said:

I know that it takes a while but what's the difference? I can work and travel and have what I need to renew that if processing takes that long. 

If I get a waiver I don't have to worry and stress about gathering evidence and going through another interview at this time. My husband and I won't have to take time off work, I know he doesn't have to but he would.

Even if I do have to wait, I'd prefer a waiver. 

Oh right. Well if thats the case you'll be perfectly fine. The only difference the green card may make is it'll make sure you come back to the US easily after international travel. Since the AP

1) still doesnt guarantee entry and a person having AP would still be "an applicant for parole" at the port of entry

2) there would be secondary inspection and

3) one may be found inadmissible even after having an approved AP document in hand.

Its just a bit risky. As long as you have no plans for international travel for now you may do great even with an AOS interview waiver and long wait times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline
37 minutes ago, mhbrz said:

With a waiver you gotta wait for atleast 6 more months as compared to the applications with an AOS interview. So it would only be good if one loves to wait.

This isn't true at all.

If you look at people's timelines from K1 who get green cards approved without an interview, you'll see the total time from USCIS having received application to approving application ranges from 3-6 months... That would make it 0-3 months after EAD approved not 6 more months. I've even read about cases where green card is approved before EAD.

As helpful as this forum is, it's also frustrating to see people spread false information at times, even if there no ill-intention.

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

42 minutes ago, Becci391 said:

I had no idea that it takes so much longer to get the Green Card if your interview gets waived...

That's exactly what I told you when we were talking about your Atlanta field processing times in the German thread. I've told you to hope for the interview cause it looks like it would be at least two months faster than the waiver (that is at least what it used to be, lately waivers have been faster). 

When you've commented before on someone's thread asking a bunch of questions how to get a waiver I've told you too that i don't get why people hope for a waiver when it takes in a lot of Cases longer than an interview. Please believe me sometimes!!! hahaha

I have processing times of 240days for San Diego. A waiver would definitely be faster for me

Edited by Californiansunset

5 minutes ago, NYBEtt said:

This isn't true at all.

If you look at people's timelines from K1 who get green cards approved without an interview, you'll see the total time from USCIS having received application to approving application ranges from 3-6 months... That would make it 0-3 months after EAD approved not 6 more months. I've even read about cases where green card is approved before EAD.

As helpful as this forum is, it's also frustrating to see people spread false information at times, even if there no ill-intention.

I agree, lately it's been sitting around 6 months for a waiver. So everyone who has processing times of below 180 days should hope for an AOS interview as that would be faster than the waiver. Everyone with processing times above that should hope for a waiver as that will be faster. 

I don't think mhbrz was trying to spread false information, just maybe not 100% accurate. I talked to a friend who did the K1 three years ago and she told me the waivers back then took around 9 months. So it also depends at what timeline you are looking at. What you also need to take into account is that there's been more AOS this year due to the new president. There's also been a federal work hiring freeze which is supposedly affecting USCIS by not being able to hire more staff or replace the ones that's been retiring. Taking that into account waivers might take a little longer right now again (but that's just a complete guess). 

22 minutes ago, NYBEtt said:

This isn't true at all.

Dude if you havent seen something with your own eyes it doesnt mean it doesnt exist or "not true at all" unless you prove it.

Thats true K-1s are one of the applicants who have most likeliness of getting an interview waiver but I know people adjusting from K-1 who had to wait 11 months while others with an interview got adjudicated in 6 to 8 months. I've been following some immigration related forums, blogs and articles and people have posted what their "potential interview waiver letter" says, and so many people have commented that by the time they receive the letter they've already waited a few months and the letter says that they're gonna have to wait for another 180 days if they actually get interview waiver. Those applicants then did wait and couldnt do anything until USCIS sent them approval notices. Everyone's situation is different, yes people may have gotten approved in 6 months with a waiver but that doesnt mean everyone gets approved in the same time. Do ask what their potential interview waiver letter said initially dude.

Edited by mhbrz

24 minutes ago, mhbrz said:

Oh right. Well if thats the case you'll be perfectly fine. The only difference the green card may make is it'll make sure you come back to the US easily after international travel. Since the AP

1) still doesnt guarantee entry and a person having AP would still be "an applicant for parole" at the port of entry

2) there would be secondary inspection and

3) one may be found inadmissible even after having an approved AP document in hand.

Its just a bit risky. As long as you have no plans for international travel for now you may do great even with an AOS interview waiver and long wait times.

For the past year of my long distance relationship I travelled to the US at least once, sometimes twice a month, and I had the honor of going through secondary inspection every time (yay me!) so I am well rehearsed with going through secondary. I am from Canada, I am not religious, I don't care about the government or share opinions on social media, I've never committed a crime, I have all my vaccines, I have never committed an immigration violation or been unlawfully present. I have no reason to be found inadmissible. I feel more than comfortable using my advance parole for its purpose. I intend to travel using it in October should I not get my green card. 

As other users have said, there is no proof that either way is faster. I have seen people from March and April of last year who are just getting their interviews scheduled now. Some people get waivers and get their GC sooner. Just like people from mid-late February have gotten their EADs but some people from January are still waiting. You can't tell someone applying for an EAD now that it's going to be 90 days or 120 days because processing is different for everyone.

While some people may get denied on AP, and some people's AOS takes longer, that's not the case for everyone. EVERY case is different. Please keep that in mind. 

K1 Visa Timline                                               AOS Timeline

2016/08/11: I-129F Package Sent                   2017/02/09: AOS/EAD/AP Package Sent

2016/08/17: NOA1 Received                          2017/02/23: NOA1 Received

2016/10/04: NOA2 Received                          2017/03/23: Biometrics Appointment

2016/10/21: NVC Received                            2017/04/06: Request to Expedite EAD

2016/10/24: Case # Assigned                        2017/04/12: Letter for Expedite Request Received 

2016/11/01: Consulate Received                    2017/04/13: Response to Letter Faxed

2016/11/01: Packet 3 Sent                           2017/04/19: EAD Expedite Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/11/04: Packet 4 Received                     2017/04/24: EAD/AP Card Mailed

2016/12/09: Medical                                     2017/04/26: EAD/AP Card Received

2016/12/21: Interview!! APPROVED               2017/09/08: AOS Approved - Card Being Produced

2016/12/23: Visa Issued                               2017/09/15: Conditional Greencard Received

2016/12/28: Visa Received

2016/12/31: POE as a K1!

2017/01/20: Wedding Day!!!

ROC Timeline:

2019/06/29: ROC Package Sent

2019/07/05: NOA1 Received

2019/10/25: Biometrics Appointment

4 minutes ago, shayden10 said:

For the past year of my long distance relationship I travelled to the US at least once, sometimes twice a month, and I had the honor of going through secondary inspection every time (yay me!) so I am well rehearsed with going through secondary. I am from Canada, I am not religious, I don't care about the government or share opinions on social media, I've never committed a crime, I have all my vaccines, I have never committed an immigration violation or been unlawfully present. I have no reason to be found inadmissible. I feel more than comfortable using my advance parole for its purpose. I intend to travel using it in October should I not get my green card. 

As other users have said, there is no proof that either way is faster. I have seen people from March and April of last year who are just getting their interviews scheduled now. Some people get waivers and get their GC sooner. Just like people from mid-late February have gotten their EADs but some people from January are still waiting. You can't tell someone applying for an EAD now that it's going to be 90 days or 120 days because processing is different for everyone.

While some people may get denied on AP, and some people's AOS takes longer, that's not the case for everyone. EVERY case is different. Please keep that in mind. 

Well yeah as far you know the consequences and know what you're doing there's no harm in using the AP too. Just a matter of preference. And surely every case is different. I sometimes think USCIS and even the whole DHS works differently on every case and make it unpredictable so that no one could guess whats gonna happen or what questions they're gonna be asked at port of entry or AOS or visa interview. Everyone would have a different story and experience to tell. What a reader (or listener) could do is just pick the common things from those stories and be prepared

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I have in my case " card was mailed for me"... so how many days take to they delivery?

AOS

2/6/2017-Package sent 📮
2/8/2017-Package received 📂
2/17/2017-Txt/email received and check cashed 📱
2/21/2017-NOA1 received by mail 📪
3/10/2017-Biometrics letter received my mail 📪
3/20/2017 - Date when we can check the status online  
3/23/2017-Biometrics appointment ✋🏼

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
1 hour ago, Diego Binow said:

I have in my case " card was mailed for me"... so how many days take to they delivery?

3-5 business days

I have my job interview tom but EAD/AP haven't approved yet. 

Do you mind sharing your interview experience ? It may be helpful for other prospective interview applicants. Like me.

Do you mind sharing your interview experience ? It may be helpful for other prospective interview applicants. Like me.

I've had my first interview and they told me that theyre going to call or email me if they already have the decision because there are still candidates that need to be test for a couple of weeks more. On my side i didnt tell them about the work permit yet as they never asked me about it. I still need to wait if theyve already raised a decision.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Dude if you havent seen something with your own eyes it doesnt mean it doesnt exist or "not true at all" unless you prove it.

Thats true K-1s are one of the applicants who have most likeliness of getting an interview waiver but I know people adjusting from K-1 who had to wait 11 months while others with an interview got adjudicated in 6 to 8 months. I've been following some immigration related forums, blogs and articles and people have posted what their "potential interview waiver letter" says, and so many people have commented that by the time they receive the letter they've already waited a few months and the letter says that they're gonna have to wait for another 180 days if they actually get interview waiver. Those applicants then did wait and couldnt do anything until USCIS sent them approval notices. Everyone's situation is different, yes people may have gotten approved in 6 months with a waiver but that doesnt mean everyone gets approved in the same time. Do ask what their potential interview waiver letter said initially dude.

Dude you correctly write that "Everyone's situation is different" so when you go and say:

" With a waiver you gotta wait for atleast 6 more months as compared to the applications with an AOS interview. "

you are making an incorrect statement, because it's definitive. If you said "likely have to wait" instead of just "at least" that would be a different story (although still not 100% accurate IMO).

I am not trying to offend in any way, because I know you and I are both here to help and be helped. I'm only bringing this up because a lot of people use information from this forum to make short-term arrangements and when anyone makes such definitive statement about such topics, it is not helpful.

Spoiler

K1 Timeline:

7/18/2016 --> I-129F application sent

1/26/2017 --> K1 visa received

Adjustment of Status Timeline:

2/7/17 --> I-485, I-131, I-765 (AOS+AP+EAD) application sent

8/18/2017--> green card received in mail

Removal of Conditions Timeline:

5/14/2019 --> I-751 application sent

10/2/2020 --> 10-year green card received in mail

Naturalization Timeline:

7/28/2020--> Submitted N-400 application online

2/12/2021--> Biometrics re-use letter received

4/30/2021--> Interview scheduled for 6/8/2021

6/8/2021-->  Approved during interview

6/21/2021-->  oath ceremony - officially US citizen

K1: 7/18/2016 --> 1/26/2017

AOS: 2/7/17 --> 8/18/2017

ROC:  5/14/2019 --> 10/2/2020

Naturalization: 7/28/2020--> 6/21/2021

Dude you correctly write that "Everyone's situation is different" so when you go and say:

" With a waiver you gotta wait for atleast 6 more months as compared to the applications with an AOS interview. "

you are making an incorrect statement, because it's definitive. If you said "likely have to wait" instead of just "at least" that would be a different story (although still not 100% accurate IMO).

I am not trying to offend in any way, because I know you and I are both here to help and be helped. I'm only bringing this up because a lot of people use information from this forum to make short-term arrangements and when anyone makes such definitive statement about such topics, it is not helpful.

Well thanks for the correction, I got what you're trying to say. I actually meant the likeliness of having to wait. My apologies.

Meanwhile, I wanna share this link just for some added piece of information:

http://www.mrspresson.com/2014/01/17/sooooo-got-notice-potential-interview-waiver-case-mail-today/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.