MPGGPM

Question for Turkish couples.

31 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Wife had her interview this morning. We were thrown something at us that neither of us have heard, either on this forum or elsewhere.

My wife and I were married in the USA, in Florida. She was here on a student visa when we met, and so had been in the USA already, for a while.

We have a marriage certificate, and submitted it to the NVC. However, this morning at her interview, she was told that the marriage was not registed in Turkey. She had her name changed on her birth certificate and it says "married" on it.......etc.......but still, apparently, we were supposed to do more than that, and from what I gather from speaking to the embassy this morning, there was some other things we were supposed to do. Apparently, if the marriage took place in the USA, it does not show up in Turkey.....and that is apparently necessary.

Even after speaking to the embassy this morning, this is still a bit confusing.

My questions are.....

1) Can this be done in Turkey? Or only through the Turkish consulate in the USA?

2) How long does this take? (We've waited over 2 years already to be together......this was all we needed to hear this morning......that we have to wait even more... :( )

3) If this can be done in Turkey, can you tell us where it can be done? Is there a place in Istanbul that it could be done?

By speaking to one person from the embassy, by phone, this morning, she seemed certain that this could be done in Turkey, and in one day. However, the other person I spoke to, was not as confident that it could be done from Turkey, and may have to be done through the Turkish Consulate in New York. I am hoping that the latter.......is not the only way, because from what I read on the Turkish Consulate webiste, it seems like another lengthy process.

I have tried to call, and get through to the 1-888 number, but haven't been able to.................and so can't get an answer to my questions yet. Line is always to busy and I am told to call back later.

I really hope the one woman from the embassy was correct and this can be done from Turkey, and so shortly as she hinted.

Finally, one last question..............................did everyone's spouse, after the marriage, have their passport changed to the married name? I was told my wife needs to do that too. We held off on doing so, since at the time of the paperwork that was sent to USCIS and NVC, we did not submit the "married" name......but wife's maiden name. We had assumed that since she could not legally change her name here when she was in the USA (she tried, but was told she had to be a permanent resident first before doing so).......that we should not. We did not want to make things more complicated.

Thanks for any help you can give on this issue. As you can imagine......been a pretty disappointing morning so far. Been married nearly 3 years.......and haven't been able to spend one anniversary together yet. Sometimes......if I didn't have so many years at my job here in the USA, with a pension etc........I would really consider moving to Turkey and telling the USA to screw off. Just seems at times, like it'd be easier if I just moved to Turkey, than to keep putting up with all this.

Thanks again........

Edited by MPGGPM

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello MPGGPM,

Sorry to hear that.

We got married in the US too. After that I returned to Turkey. I tried to register my son at Turkish Vital Statistics Office. I found out that I needed to have the birth certificate (in your case marriage certificate and your birth certificate) translated by a sworn translator through a notary and take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Ankara..I am not sure the ministry's Istanbul office does it) and have it approved (signed and stamped). You can do that too. And then all you need to do is go to a Vital Statistics office with the stamped/approved and translated documents and have your marriage registered. If they ask you to do it through the consular offices abroad you can tell them that you are in Turkey now and you have no chance but do it there.

I hope everything goes fast and problem-free for you/your wife.

P.S. Here is the link (that says you can have it registered yourself in Turkey) to Ministry of Interior, Citizenship and Vital Statistics Directorate (in Turkish): http://www.nvi.gov.tr/11,Ana_Sayfa_Evlenme1,3.html

I am now a US citizen.

t1283610_made-in-china-american-flag.jpg

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline

How come your wife has her surname changed on her birth certificate and it says married on there and still the embassy says it has to be registered? If she has your surname on her birth certificate (vukuatli nufus kayit ornegi) and it shows there that you are married (your name must on there too) then it means your marriage is registered. American embassy has no way of knowing otherwise. Actually they should not even ask you to register one's marriage in Turkey at all since you got married in the US and you have an offical US marriage certificate. That must be the only document American embassy should take into account..not a Turkish document.

I am now a US citizen.

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline
Hello MPGGPM,

Sorry to hear that.

We got married in the US too. After that I returned to Turkey. I tried to register my son at Turkish Vital Statistics Office. I found out that I needed to have the birth certificate (in your case marriage certificate and your birth certificate) translated by a sworn translator through a notary and take it to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (in Ankara..I am not sure the ministry's Istanbul office does it) and have it approved (signed and stamped). You can do that too. And then all you need to do is go to a Vital Statistics office with the stamped/approved and translated documents and have your marriage registered. If they ask you to do it through the consular offices abroad you can tell them that you are in Turkey now and you have no chance but do it there.

I hope everything goes fast and problem-free for you/your wife.

P.S. Here is the link (that says you can have it registered yourself in Turkey) to Ministry of Interior, Citizenship and Vital Statistics Directorate (in Turkish): http://www.nvi.gov.tr/11,Ana_Sayfa_Evlenme1,3.html

Thanks,

I appreciate all the answers and help you have given....this time...and previously. Being a US citizen, I often do not understand how the Turkish system works.

First....I am in the USA now....not Turkey. I did not attend the interview this morning. I only learned the details by speaking to my wife, and by calling the embassy .

Second, I finally got through to the Turkish Consulate here in the USA. A woman answered and was very helpful. She will be calling me back later with more details, but from what I have understood, my wife did indeed ALREADY "register" the marriage with the Turkish Consulate back in 2005. I actually went with her to the post office here in Florida that day, and remember mailing it. However, from this morning, I did not understand if what my wife had submitted back then was the paperwork to register the marriage. It almost sounded like she had not.

However, I am beginning to feel (although I will learn more as time goes on , and when I get a return call from the Turkish Consulate)................that what the problem was is that the "card" which my wife had assumed was not the "birth certificate" required for the application. I have seen the card, and apparently, it must just be the ID card that Turkish citizens use while in Turkey. I don't remember exactly what it looked like, but I believe it was red. But I remeber seeing it because I sent it to the NVC.

And apparently, what she was supposed to have submitted, was a more "lengthy" birth certificate? I am guessing that that card she submitted was not the right paperwork needed.

The woman from the Turkish Consulate told me that since my wife appears to have registered the marriage, that if it is just a question of submitting a birth certificate which will show me as the husband etc....that it can be done while in Turkey.

It appears like the delay will not be as long. I am still unsure at this point. But thankfully, it does not appear as though the marriage will have to be registered, since it was already done. Good news.................considering I was told that process takes 3 months. (That's all we need).......

When we registered the marriage, it was in her maiden name. But if it is just a matter of changing her name etc on the birth certificate, then I would imagine it can be done in Turkey, and once she does that......and has that document which will also show my name etc.......then hopefully that will be all we need.

At this point...a lot of this is confusing. I had felt that I was careful with the paperwork, and had everthing ready. So, this surprised me this morning. And obviously...the wife is very disappointed right now.

From what you have written, I believe that if it just a matter of obtaining a birth certificate which will show me as the husband, and also include her "married" name, it can be done from Istanbul.

Been.......a VERY long morning and day............a lot of phone calls etc.........

I hope to get this straightened out and that our wait for the visa won't be much longer. We will see.....................

Thanks again for all the help.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Timeline
. Actually they should not even ask you to register one's marriage in Turkey at all since you got married in the US and you have an offical US marriage certificate. That must be the only document American embassy should take into account..not a Turkish document.

That was EXACTLY what the woman from the Turkish Consulate had a question about. She could not undertsand that either. This is all very puzzling to me.

The woman from the Turkish Consulate is going to call me back. I believe she is as puzzled, as you and I are. She told me the same things as you, and could not understand why, if I submitted a marriage certificate from the USA.............................why there would be any need to register the marriage in Turkey at all.

So, apparently she is checking on this situation, and contacting the Turkish Consulate in New York.

She seemed to agree with you, that registering a marriage in Turkey should have been a matter of choice for the spouse, and NOT required.

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline
. Actually they should not even ask you to register one's marriage in Turkey at all since you got married in the US and you have an offical US marriage certificate. That must be the only document American embassy should take into account..not a Turkish document.

That was EXACTLY what the woman from the Turkish Consulate had a question about. She could not undertsand that either. This is all very puzzling to me.

The woman from the Turkish Consulate is going to call me back. I believe she is as puzzled, as you and I are. She told me the same things as you, and could not understand why, if I submitted a marriage certificate from the USA.............................why there would be any need to register the marriage in Turkey at all.

So, apparently she is checking on this situation, and contacting the Turkish Consulate in New York.

She seemed to agree with you, that registering a marriage in Turkey should have been a matter of choice for the spouse, and NOT required.

I was puzzled at the time when they asked us to register our marriage in Turkey. Not now..although I still say that it is absurd what the American Consulate in Turkey does: wanting to see a Turkish document and not being satisfied by an offical American document.

The red document you wrote about must be the international marriage document..it is like a passport..just bigger than a passport. If you have got it it means your marriage is already registered.

The American Consulate website states that they require a longer form of a birth certificate called ' Vukuatli NUFUS KAYIT ORNEGI'.

Although a birth certificate in English can be obtained from the Turkish Vital Statistics Office branches American Consulate does not recognize them since the is not a party/signatory to the international agreement creating the legal base for that particular birth certificate form and international marriage certificate (booklet).

Good to hear that hopefully it will be solved soon and your wife can be issued her visa without further delay.

:)

I am now a US citizen.

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline
The red document you wrote about must be the international marriage document..it is like a passport..just bigger than a passport. If you have got it it means your marriage is already registered.

The American Consulate website states that they require a longer form of a birth certificate called ' Vukuatli NUFUS KAYIT ORNEGI'.

Although a birth certificate in English can be obtained from the Turkish Vital Statistics Office branches American Consulate does not recognize them since the is not a party/signatory to the international agreement creating the legal base for that particular birth certificate form and international marriage certificate (booklet).

Good to hear that hopefully it will be solved soon and your wife can be issued her visa without further delay.

I made copies of everything I sent in, thankfully...........

Although, unfortunately, when I made a copy of the document I sent in, it was partially covered by a "sticky". However, it says this at the top........

TURKIYE CUMHURIYETI

NUFUS CUZDANI

What exactly is that document then, if it was not what was required, and was not the birth certificate?

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline

Although, unfortunately, when I made a copy of the document I sent in, it was partially covered by a "sticky". However, it says this at the top........

TURKIYE CUMHURIYETI

NUFUS CUZDANI

What exactly is that document then, if it was not what was required, and was not the birth certificate?

I thought that pink card Nufus Cuzdani would be enough as well. But before i just sent that i did some digging and found out that what they need was (NUFUS KAYIT ORNEGI) with both of your name in there as a couple. Since i got her Nufus Cuzdani i went to the Turkish embassy in NYC and they were able to give me a translated copy of it with Turkish governments seal on it. So i sent that one along with her Nufus Cuzdani. Did you do this? If you didn't that might be the reason of the problems.

Dennis 3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawl.gif Ezgi 3dflagsdotcom_turke_2fawl.gif

USCIS

08-11-06 Married

09-18-06 I-130 Mailed Priority

09-19-06 Delivered to VSC

09-20-06 VSC receipt date

09-20-06 NOA1 date

09-23-06 Touched

01-17-07 Touched again

01-18-07 Approved!!!! NOA2

NVC

01-30-07 NVC assigns case number

Timeline

TURKIYE CUMHURIYETI

NUFUS CUZDANI

I thought that pink card Nufus Cuzdani would be enough as well. But before i just sent that i did some digging and found out that what they need was (NUFUS KAYIT ORNEGI) with both of your name in there as a couple. Since i got her Nufus Cuzdani i went to the Turkish embassy in NYC and they were able to give me a translated copy of it with Turkish governments seal on it. So i sent that one along with her Nufus Cuzdani. Did you do this? If you didn't that might be the reason of the problems.

Nope.....

The more time goes by....the more I am realizing THAT was one of the problems.

The confusion this morning was that people at the embassy kept telling me that the marriage would have to be "registered". And at this time, I am still confused as to why they do NOT see the registration of the marriage. The woman from the Turkish Consulate told me that the marriage WAS registered......although I have to admit, it took her a while to pull the information up. Perhaps the people at the embassy had a problem seeing the "registration" as well.

I don't know what the "entire" problem is right now......and wife was too upset this morning....to really get the whole details. We couldn't talk much more because at this time, she is traveling back to Istanbul. I will speak to her more later.

However, I am positive now...by reading yours and Internetkafe's responses.................that one problem was definately, that we did not send in the lengthy birth certificate that they required. My wife had felt that the "NUFUS CUZDANI" would be enough, and that was what they were asking her to submit to the NVC. Apparently, we were worng and made an error.

What more that we need to do....................at this time I'm not sure. It might just be a matter of obtaining the required birth certificate, and nothing more.

I suppose one other thing she will need to do is change the passport name.....since the embassy told us to.

As time goes by today, and when I speak to my wife more...............we'll learn more.

Thanks for the reply

Edited by MPGGPM

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline

*What exactly is that document then, if it was not what was required, and was not the birth certificate?*

Nufus Cuzdani is the name for Turkish ID.

Of course it is not the same as birth certificate. Do they accept Driver's License when you apply for passport as proof that you are a citizen? They ask for a Birth Certificate.

How did you send your wife's ID card? What did she do without one?

I thought by red/pink document you meant international marriage booklet/document.

It happens...the details could be overlooked.

post-9992-1175708052_thumb.jpg

post-9992-1175708231_thumb.jpg

Edited by internetkafe

I am now a US citizen.

pride_logo_275px.jpg

Timeline
*What exactly is that document then, if it was not what was required, and was not the birth certificate?*

Nufus Cuzdani is the name for Turkish ID.

Of course it is not the same as birth certificate. Do they accept Driver's License when you apply for passport as proof that you are a citizen? They ask for a Birth Certificate.

How did you send your wife's ID card? What did she do without one?

I thought by red/pink document you meant international marriage booklet/document.

It happens...the details could be overlooked.

Well, for one...I'm not Turkish. I wouldn't know a Turkish birth certificate from a hole in the wall........

The thing is, I actually copied the webpage from the embassy that said to submit the Nufus Kayit Ornegi , and sent it to my wife by email months ago. For some reason, she sent me only what I now know is just a Turkish ID card. DOH! :o

Why she did that.....and assumed that was all they wanted, I don't know..........................but turns out, that is what we sent. When submitted to the NVC, they accepted it.........and sent the paperwork to the embassy in Ankara.

I just spoke to my wife a few minutes ago.................she's still pretty upset as can be expected, but................good news is, she already has the required birth certificate now, and was able to get it from Ankara before she left. Part of the confusion this morning ,was, that she was told by the embassy to get it from the Turkish Consulate in New York.....and that "I" would have to do it......which obviously was a mistake, as she was able to get it from Turkey, this morning in Ankara.

She is in Istanbul now, and tommorrow, will go to change her passport. That will take a few days, then we will send it and the certificate back to the embassy............

I am hoping after we send what the embassy is asking for.................it will be the end of all this.

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline
Of course you know that she also needs to have the certificate translated by a 'sworn translator'.

Evet. Tesekkurler. ;)

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Timeline

Hey MPGGPM,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. But tell your wife not to worry too much. My wife also got that green sheet. Tell her to goto "Nufus Dairesi" and ask for a "Nufus Kayit Ornegi" Make sure she has it notorized, and then translated by a sworn translator.

How did her interview go otherwise? Did they tell her she had to come back? If they told her she can just mail everything then you aren't that far away from getting the visa. If they asked her passport to be changed, she can do that in one day.

At my wife's interview we were missing W-2's and her previous passport that she used to enter the U.S. with a year ago (with her maiden name) You have two choices when changing her passport, either get a brand new one, and they punch a hole in the old one, OR get it amended with her new last name. We opted for the cleaner new passport, but again, that was something they wanted to see at the interview since it contained her original J1 visa.

So check to see if they can be all done through mail. Get the new passport or change her passport, get the Nufus Kayit Ornegi / notorized / translated by sworn translator and send those all in with a letter stating the situation.

let me know if you need any help (especially in dealing with Turkish Consulate in NYC, they can be a pain in the rear)

Best of luck.

Married 08-17-2006

K3 Visa Started 08-26-2006

K3 Visa Received 03-29-2007

AOS Started 07-25-2007

2yr - GC Received 05-12-2008

ROC Started 02-02-2009

10yr - GC Received 06-10-2010

Naturalization

N-400 Sent 01-29-2011

NOA Received 02-14-2011

Biometrics 02-23-2011

Interview Letter __-__-2011

Interview __-__-2011

Oath __-__-2011

When it's all done, it will have taken approximately 4 years and 9 months

Timeline
Hey MPGGPM,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. But tell your wife not to worry too much. My wife also got that green sheet. Tell her to goto "Nufus Dairesi" and ask for a "Nufus Kayit Ornegi" Make sure she has it notorized, and then translated by a sworn translator.

How did her interview go otherwise? Did they tell her she had to come back? If they told her she can just mail everything then you aren't that far away from getting the visa. If they asked her passport to be changed, she can do that in one day.

At my wife's interview we were missing W-2's and her previous passport that she used to enter the U.S. with a year ago (with her maiden name) You have two choices when changing her passport, either get a brand new one, and they punch a hole in the old one, OR get it amended with her new last name. We opted for the cleaner new passport, but again, that was something they wanted to see at the interview since it contained her original J1 visa.

So check to see if they can be all done through mail. Get the new passport or change her passport, get the Nufus Kayit Ornegi / notorized / translated by sworn translator and send those all in with a letter stating the situation.

let me know if you need any help (especially in dealing with Turkish Consulate in NYC, they can be a pain in the rear)

Best of luck.

Thank you.

In my calls to the embassy after the interview happened etc....they also seemed confident, like you, that my wife just needs to submit the document and mail it back with her passport, and that she will get the visa.

I am glad you responded, since you have been through something similar,(getting the "green" paper), not to mention that you happen to have a "wife" immigrating from Turkey, where so many of the couples on this website, from Turkey, are the opposite and it is a "male " immigrating.

It helps because were it a male, the passport name would not have to be changed. They don't have such an issue.

I DO have one question I'm trying to understand. My wife has already begun to make the change to her passport. You said that she could have it "amended"?

I don't know if that is the same thing we are doing , but what my wife asked for them to do was to add a page that will say something like...."Also known as Johnson-Smith (as an example..not our real last name). The passport will include both maiden and married name now.

Is that what you were referring to when you said "amended"? Do you think that will be acceptable to the embassy? (to just "add" the married name)

(I have emailed them as well...but will take a while to get a response, and we didn't want to wait.....we just went ahead and made the change)

Edited by MPGGPM

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.