jaime+leo

entry to US on a K1

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've convinced myself that somewhere on the USCIS or NVC websites I read that a K1 only allows the fiance to visit, not to live, in the US--that is, to come to the US, get married, and skedaddle until his status is changed. Am I crazy? It doesn't make sense that the K1 wouldn't allow the fiance to actually stay, seeing as how it's impossible for him to leave the country and return without advance parole or a change of status.....

I want to make sure my fiance won't have a problem at the border whenever he does manage to get through this process. He will not be able to prove any ties whatsoever to Canada, since his student visa is up, his program is over, he doesn't have any family there, doesn't own property, etc etc. Like I said, over the past week or so I convinced myself that I read a K1 entrant has to be able to prove ties to the country he's leaving.

Someone just tell me I'm making things up! :P (Or, if I'm not making things up, tell me that too)

01/29/07: Petition sent to Vermont Service Center

02/05/07: NOA1, receipt

02/16/07: NOA2, approved!

02/26/07: Petition forwarded to Consulate in Montreal from NVC

03/06/07: Packet from Consulate received

03/31/07: Checklist sent to Consulate

(current status: waiting for the interview!)

Jaime, fiancee to Leo, a Brazilian residing in Canada...

Filed: Timeline

jaime+leo,

You're making things up. There can be no adjustment of status if he skedaddles.

Yodrak

I've convinced myself that somewhere on the USCIS or NVC websites I read that a K1 only allows the fiance to visit, not to live, in the US--that is, to come to the US, get married, and skedaddle until his status is changed. Am I crazy? It doesn't make sense that the K1 wouldn't allow the fiance to actually stay, seeing as how it's impossible for him to leave the country and return without advance parole or a change of status.....

I want to make sure my fiance won't have a problem at the border whenever he does manage to get through this process. He will not be able to prove any ties whatsoever to Canada, since his student visa is up, his program is over, he doesn't have any family there, doesn't own property, etc etc. Like I said, over the past week or so I convinced myself that I read a K1 entrant has to be able to prove ties to the country he's leaving.

Someone just tell me I'm making things up! (Or, if I'm not making things up, tell me that too)

thanks

Someone just tell me I'm making things up! :P (Or, if I'm not making things up, tell me that too)

You're mixing things together - the K1 doesn't let people come here to live. Only to come here to marry.

A K1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa (aka Fiancé Visa) - it allows the foreign fiancé to enter the US for up to 90 days. Within that 90 days they must marry the petitioner (the US Citizen) AND file for AOS (Adjustment of Status) to an Immigrant status (or leave). Meaning it let's them come in, get married and file to stay permanently (like a hall/restroom pass in grammar school).

Skedaddling after getting married without filing for AOS (and/or Advance Parole) would cause you to have to start over, but this time on a different visa and the waiting starts over.

Timeline

Good. Right. Okay. That makes sense.... I wonder where this idea of mine came from.

Thanks.

jaime+leo,

You're making things up. There can be no adjustment of status if he skedaddles.

Yodrak

All the ties to the home country are only for if he visited. The whole purpose of the K-1 is to allow an immigrant to enter the US WITH the intent of marrying and staying, since without it would be a violation of immigration law (to stay that is). That is why you cant just wander across the border now and get married sans visa...

Edited by msu17

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Timeline

Oh.... Well that makes sense too. I was looking into advance parole when I got this idea in my head, I sure was mixing things up. So he shouldn't be afraid of looking like he's not going back to Canada, then, huh? Excellent.

Edited by jaime+leo

Oh.... Well that makes sense too. I was looking into advance parole when I got this idea in my head, I sure was mixing things up. So he shouldn't be afraid of looking like he's not going back to Canada, then, huh? Excellent.

Lol... no - once he has his K1, quite the opposite... It's kind of assumed you want to stay here and have to prove you want-to/can stay as a matter of fact..

Advance Parole - for example, he's here, you're married and filed for AOS (Adjustment of Status) but had to return to his home country (or leave for some reason) - you have to apply for AP so he can get back in because technically he's in what some call...THE DARK HOLE... (in limbo kind of) ..like another Hall Pass..

The ultimate Hall Pass...the holy grail...is... (music please)....The Green Card... comes much further down the road.. :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

K-1 is a Non-Immigrant visa with immigration intent, it allows the alien to visit for up to 90 days and marry, if a marriage happens in the 90 days they then can file to adjust status to immigrant, and while waiting for the approval of status adjustment they can live in the USA without penalty for overstaying the 90 day limit of the K-1.

Ties home to foreign country are not required, and the visa is handled just like any other immigrant visa both at the consulate, and at the POE.

More can be found here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_2994.html

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
You're mixing things together - the K1 doesn't let people come here to live. Only to come here to marry.

A K1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa (aka Fiancé Visa) - it allows the foreign fiancé to enter the US for up to 90 days. Within that 90 days they must marry the petitioner (the US Citizen) AND file for AOS (Adjustment of Status) to an Immigrant status (or leave). Meaning it let's them come in, get married and file to stay permanently (like a hall/restroom pass in grammar school).

Skedaddling after getting married without filing for AOS (and/or Advance Parole) would cause you to have to start over, but this time on a different visa and the waiting starts over.

Great answer!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You are crazy. The K1 is a non immigrant visa with immigrant intent. You don't have to prove ties to your home country anymore because the understanding is that you're coming here to marry and adjust status. If this were the case, receiving EADs and AP wouldn't be such an issue - if you're coming to marry and go back and wait, what do you need that pesky employment authorization or advance parole for?

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.