Jess & Ian

Important question regarding our wedding date before visa approval

57 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
The county that I am getting in only requires one person to be present for the license. I know, this is odd, I thought so too. We also do not need to have blood tests or anything. It's not determined by the state, it varies from county to county.

I'm very aware that marriage license requirements can vary from county to county, but generally the requirements are pretty similar in counties in the same state.

Either way, it can be a very bad idea to tightly plan a wedding when dealing with the K1 process - and it's always possible that the CBP officer may not allow him in if you're this close to the end of the process, because simply being so far along makes it harder to prove ties to home country, and that you're not planning on staying. Which is why there are many times no less than 4 "is my fiance allowed to visit" posts around here at one time.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started out on my K-1 journey I was VERY naive about it and we set a date for the wedding in December last year and we filed at the end of July/beginning of August through Vermont.

I made it just about by the skin of my teeth, it was a VERY nerve wracking time. Once I learned how dumb that had been all plans and money had been put in to it.

I told the embassy I had a date and that I wouldvery much like to make it and they worked with me, said they understood that people had put time and money in to it. Even when I got the blue slip at the Embassy for more fiancial evidence, he guy still worked with me cause I panicked saying I had 3 weeks untill my wedding and he said aslong as I sent my stuff back to him by the end of the week I would be there.

I got here about a week and a half before my big wedding.

All I can tell you to do is tell the embassy, and I thought I would just share my story.

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Filed: Other Timeline
I think we, as a community, should work hard to retrain our minds NOT to equate wedding (a party, religious, or family celebration) with a legally binding marriage. The US government doesn't care two bits about what you wear, if you walk down an aisle, if there is cake, etc. They only care that you sign a marriage license. So don't sign one unless he's entered on his K1.

Yeah, I agree, but why bother with the BIG DEAL if it's not the REAL DEAL?

I guess I'm just weird about stuff like that. Personally, it'd be a big let down to me if I had all the fuss and still wasn't really a missus.

How long ago did you order his police certificate?

You're right. But I don't see any other way of looking at it and keeping my sanity AND still having the ability to participate in a cultural rite of passage the same as my mother before me and her mother before her. And that includes my fiance's participation. So that means, for us, most likely, the legal ceremony will predate the cultural rite of passage. And I'll have to make the second, ceremonial aspect, meaningful, despite already being a missus. All of this only means something if we give it meaning to begin with.

One could make the argument why bother with the BIG DEAL at all since all you need to be married is to spend a relatively few dollars on a marriage license and filing fees for the certificate later.

We have to determine our own REAL DEALS - and more often than not, they'll be different than those marrying under more normal circumstances.

There's little that's normal about all this, that's for sure!

I think a big ceremony later on, after the 'legal' bit has been sealed (because of immigration) can be a real celebration. Emotionally, I wouldn't be able to do that in reverse.

It's just me. I know for a fact that if I had the BIG DEAL before the REAL DEAL, I'd be sitting there in my fancy wedding dress after all had gone home, sobbing my eyes out.

As I said - it's just me.

Now on to the point:

The police certificate normally takes 35 to 40 days to arrive. If he ordered it 'several weeks' ago, it could arrive any day.

On the checklist from London, there are two boxes for 'travel date' and 'wedding date'. FILL THOSE IN. London does try to accomodate those dates.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
When I started out on my K-1 journey I was VERY naive about it and we set a date for the wedding in December last year and we filed at the end of July/beginning of August through Vermont.

I made it just about by the skin of my teeth, it was a VERY nerve wracking time. Once I learned how dumb that had been all plans and money had been put in to it.

I told the embassy I had a date and that I wouldvery much like to make it and they worked with me, said they understood that people had put time and money in to it. Even when I got the blue slip at the Embassy for more fiancial evidence, he guy still worked with me cause I panicked saying I had 3 weeks untill my wedding and he said aslong as I sent my stuff back to him by the end of the week I would be there.

I got here about a week and a half before my big wedding.

All I can tell you to do is tell the embassy, and I thought I would just share my story.

That is so nice to hear. You are the first person to post back that has gone through this situation. People keep telling me that I shouldn't have set a date until I had my visa and blah blah. But like you, we were very naive and didn't realize. Yes, if I could do things over, everything would be different. But this is what we're stuck with. My wedding is 5 weeks from Saturday and we have put sooooo much money into it. How did you speak to the embassy? I went to their website today and they do not really have any helpful contact information on their site. I am going to have my fiance try and contact them tomorrow because we are desperate. I would even be willing to pay them a fee to expedite it. Thanks for your advice. Do you know a contact # for the embassy?

It's really not up to the Embassy right now. They are waiting for documentation so they can schedule his interview.

My husband comes from London as well and he got held up with the police check. He actually received it very early, but he had to move out of his apartment (lease was up and obviously didn't want to renew because he was moving here) and the police check was never forwarded to him. He sat waiting and waiting for it, then finally went to the police station, explained the circumstances and even though they said they couldn't do anything, he got a new one about a week later.

Have your fiance talk to the police station where he orginally sent his request. While it's still in the acceptable time frame, perhaps if he explains the urgency of the request they can speed it along. Then when the Embassy receives it (are you sending it to them or does the police station?), you can explain that you need an interview as soon as possible. My husband did the same and got an interview less than 2 weeks after receiving his police check.

Also - DO NOT GET THE MARRIAGE LICENSE UNTIL HE MOVES HERE. Even if you don't sign it, they sometimes expire and you have to go through it again. Have your wedding...make it a big to-do. If your fiance has to go back and wait for his interview, so be it. At least you'll have the wedding over and when he moves here you can get the official document and start the AOS process. Don't fret...it will work out either way and I'm sure you'll get your interview in time.

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

There's no way to pay to expedite the process - or we'd all have done so already.

The Embassy isn't slowing your process - Scotland Yard is! Call them! Get on it. Go talk to SY or Metro or whomever you sent the form to and see what is going on. They have 40 days by law to get it back to you. So go follow up on it and see what you can do.

I think you'll still make it in time, so go have some wine and try to remain calm. After you do all you can, that's all that's left to do.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
People keep telling me that I shouldn't have set a date until I had my visa and blah blah.

It's too bad that everyone that took the time out to help you and you referred to their assistance as just a bunch of "blah blah"? :huh:

You may have found someone who has gone through the experience related to your situation. But what happens in one situation, doesn't mean it's going to go the same way for you as well.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Timeline
People keep telling me that I shouldn't have set a date until I had my visa and blah blah.

It's too bad that everyone that took the time out to help you and you referred to their assistance as just a bunch of "blah blah"? :huh:

You may have found someone who has gone through the experience related to your situation. But what happens in one situation, doesn't mean it's going to go the same way for you as well.

Oh no, I didn't mean it like that at all. I'm very appreciative of everyone who gave me advice. I'm sorry if it came across as negative, I'm just under a lot of stress at the moment. I guess her message about everything getting done last minute and it all working out gave me a bit of hope. In that message I was frustrated by the amount of people telling me I should have started the process much sooner and waited to set a wedding date, I definitely would have if I had only known. When we first started research the fiance visa we didn't find helpful sites like this, it was only later in our process that we stumbled upon all of this information. Everyone has been very informative and I do appreciate it very much.

Timeline

They joined yesterday. No one told them BEFORE they planned their wedding not to plan it. After they shared their information - that things were set up and this is the problem they are facing- THEN everyone said "well yeah see that's why we all say wait before you plan." That's swell, but they didn't know that before they started.

So now any comments are a bunch of blah blah blah because they don't help and they can't change history.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Hi, I am freaking out a little right now because our wedding date is set for May 12, 2007. My fiance is English and everything has been completed except for the interview at the consulate in London. They are still waiting on the police certificate to be sent to them before they issue an interview date. With our wedding being only 5 weeks away, I'm not sure if he'll have his interview before then, he is coming over in 3 weeks. We have put $15,000 in to this wedding and it is definitely happening. My question is, is it okay for us to have our "wedding" and then him return to the UK and wait for his interview date? I don't know what we can do. I'm just really hoping that a miracle will happen and he'll get the visa before he leaves. Please advise.

Thanks!

Wow...wedding set for May 12 (5 weeks away) and no interview yet? I would be freaking out too.. I wouldn't even begin to say whether he should travel for the wedding... My gut wants me to say "What were you guys thinking..?" but I'm sure you're feeling a lot of stress right now...

There are a lot of UKers here that can advice better - you certainly are pushing the dates though.

I'm doing the same thing. We also scheduled the wedding before filing the paperwork. There's a SLIM chance of our ceremony being a legal one, too, but I'm not counting on it.

Yeah, I agree, but why bother with the BIG DEAL if it's not the REAL DEAL?

I guess I'm just weird about stuff like that. Personally, it'd be a big let down to me if I had all the fuss and still wasn't really a missus.

I don't know how one could do it differently, to tell you the truth. If you are having a nice extravagent wedding like we are, we were lucky to schedule the location only 7 months in advance. With the expirations on the visas, I don't see how you can plan a real wedding bash in that short amount of time.

Adjustment of Status / EAD / AP
Day 000: 2007-12-27 Mailed Application
Day 002: 2007-12-29 Received at Chicago Lockbox
Day 003: 2007-12-30 "Received Date"
Day 007: 2008-01-03 All 5 NOAs (K1 + K2 AOS, K1 EAD, K1 + K2 AP)
Day 008: 2008-01-04 K-2 AOS Touched
Day 011: 2008-01-07 $1610 Check cleared
Day 011: 2008-01-07 All 5 physical NOAs received
Day 012: 2008-01-08 K-1 files Touched, but not K-2
Day 014: 2008-01-10 K-2 AP Touched
Day 016: 2008-01-12 Biometrics Appt. Letter Received
Day 029: 2008-01-25 Biometrics Appt.
Day 043: 2008-02-08 K-2 Notice of interview received
Day 044: 2008-02-09 K-1 Notice of interview received
Day 056: 2008-02-21 APs approved and EAD card production ordered
Day 126: 2008-05-01 Interviews
-----------------------------------------------------------
K1/K2 Application
Day 000: 2007-03-16 Sent out I-129F Package
Day 012: 2007-03-28 NOA1
Day 082: 2007-06-06 NOA2
Day 103: 2007-06-27 NVC Received
Day 105: 2007-06-29 NVC Forwarded to Montreal
Day 117: 2007-07-11 Montreal Sends Packet 3
Day 125: 2007-07-19 Receive Packet 3
Day 129: 2007-07-23 Send Checklist and Forms Back
Day 131: 2007-07-25 Montreal Receives Packet 3
Day 137: 2007-07-31 Medical
Day 169: 2007-09-01 "Wedding" (aka the $10K party)
Day 192: 2007-09-24 Receive "Packet 4" (Interview letter)
Day 238: 2007-11-09 Interview in Montreal
Day 245: 2007-11-16 Visas Received
Day 248: 2007-11-19 Moved to USA
Day 249: 2007-11-20 Legal wedding

Timeline

Hello,

We're going through the UK and seem to be at about the same steps.

I am a bit confused as to what you are waiting on though!! We sent our Packet 3 back to London yesterday. Along with the Packet 3 we sent back a checklist stating that we were ready for the interview date and had all of the documents (like the police checks) in our possession. This however, is not the truth. We did get Dave's UK police check in 22 days, BUT WE ARE STILL WAITING ON THE AUSTRALIAN ONE.

You said that the EMBASSY is waiting on the police check before they schedule an interview...but really are they waiting for him to send in the checklist saying HE'S ready for the interview? I know it might be risky to send it in before you actually have it...but I figure it should take at least a month to get the interview and I know our Australian police check should be here any day now. It's a risk I'm willing to take and if it comes down to the interview getting here before the police check, then we'll figure something out then! Anyway, I guess I'm just a bit confused because you are talking like it's the embassy that is waiting on the police check when in the UK the police check is sent to the fiance and then they bring it to the interview.

In the Packet 3 it states that they will not give you an interview date until you send them the checklist signed, saying you are ready. So, if he hasn't done this, they will not schedule an interview.

We are kinda in the same boat as you when it comes to wedding plans though -although ours is planned for July 7th -so hopefully we'll make it. But we are prepared to have a ceremony and not a real marriage if it comes to it. His family is all coming from Australia so it was something we had to plan in advance. We couldn't tell them weeks before because they all need to pay their plane tickets NOW, not in a couple months! You just need to be prepared for your big wedding to not be legal -which you seem okay with. However, we can't stress enough, NOT TO MAKE IT A HUGE DEAL AT THE INTERVIEW (If the interview happens after the wedding). It could cause some major issues if they suspect you are already married. And if he has to enter before getting the visa he doesn't need to mention he's coming in for a wedding...he can just say he's coming to visit. Or, we plan on saying if we have to, that our families are having a big get together to meet before we get married. Which would really be true anyway!

Anyway, I think you get the point. But seriously check into what I questioned about before? Has he sent in the checklist? And if so, you aren't waiting on the police check really, you are waiting on the embassy to give you a date. If they give you a date before you get the police check, THEN you are waiting on the police check.

Good Luck!! Hope that makes sense!

Marina

PS. Please fill in your time line!

Thanks! :thumbs:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
They joined yesterday. No one told them BEFORE they planned their wedding not to plan it. After they shared their information - that things were set up and this is the problem they are facing- THEN everyone said "well yeah see that's why we all say wait before you plan." That's swell, but they didn't know that before they started.

So now any comments are a bunch of blah blah blah because they don't help and they can't change history.

Let's see...a lot of letters? Small groups of letters combined, appropriately spaced? Is this what they call words? Let me guess, it needs to be read from left to right? I can read! :lol:

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Timeline
Hello,

We're going through the UK and seem to be at about the same steps.

I am a bit confused as to what you are waiting on though!! We sent our Packet 3 back to London yesterday. Along with the Packet 3 we sent back a checklist stating that we were ready for the interview date and had all of the documents (like the police checks) in our possession. This however, is not the truth. We did get Dave's UK police check in 22 days, BUT WE ARE STILL WAITING ON THE AUSTRALIAN ONE.

You said that the EMBASSY is waiting on the police check before they schedule an interview...but really are they waiting for him to send in the checklist saying HE'S ready for the interview? I know it might be risky to send it in before you actually have it...but I figure it should take at least a month to get the interview and I know our Australian police check should be here any day now. It's a risk I'm willing to take and if it comes down to the interview getting here before the police check, then we'll figure something out then! Anyway, I guess I'm just a bit confused because you are talking like it's the embassy that is waiting on the police check when in the UK the police check is sent to the fiance and then they bring it to the interview.

In the Packet 3 it states that they will not give you an interview date until you send them the checklist signed, saying you are ready. So, if he hasn't done this, they will not schedule an interview.

We are kinda in the same boat as you when it comes to wedding plans though -although ours is planned for July 7th -so hopefully we'll make it. But we are prepared to have a ceremony and not a real marriage if it comes to it. His family is all coming from Australia so it was something we had to plan in advance. We couldn't tell them weeks before because they all need to pay their plane tickets NOW, not in a couple months! You just need to be prepared for your big wedding to not be legal -which you seem okay with. However, we can't stress enough, NOT TO MAKE IT A HUGE DEAL AT THE INTERVIEW (If the interview happens after the wedding). It could cause some major issues if they suspect you are already married. And if he has to enter before getting the visa he doesn't need to mention he's coming in for a wedding...he can just say he's coming to visit. Or, we plan on saying if we have to, that our families are having a big get together to meet before we get married. Which would really be true anyway!

Anyway, I think you get the point. But seriously check into what I questioned about before? Has he sent in the checklist? And if so, you aren't waiting on the police check really, you are waiting on the embassy to give you a date. If they give you a date before you get the police check, THEN you are waiting on the police check.

Good Luck!! Hope that makes sense!

Marina

PS. Please fill in your time line!

Thanks! :thumbs:

Yes, that's exactly our situation. We are waiting for him to get the police certificate so he can send in the packet. Does it really take a month to get an interview? If so, he needs to send that packet in tomorrow!! Our wedding is 5 weeks from Saturday. What will happen if they schedule the interview before he gets the police certificate? Will we need to start the whole thing over? I'm also a little nervous that if he doesn't get the interview before he leaves that they will end up scheduling it right around our wedding or honeymoon which would be a disaster!

I agree with you that he should send the checklist in, I'm going to tell him to do that. I just know he's a little hesistant but we have to! Scotland Yard recieved his police forms a few weeks ago so we should be close to getting it.

Thank you so much for your advice, I'm sure you'll make your wedding date. Would you recommend waiting until the very last minute to book our honeymoon just in case? I hate having to go through this, international relationships are so hard!

I will try to fill in my timeline this week, I need to dig all the dates up.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
I believe they say 40 days for the police cert in the UK. Assuming that he doesnt get the visa before the wedding date make sure he brings lots of evidence of ties back to the UK. You dont want him denied at entry because they think he's going to stay... But lets think positive and home the cert comes tomorrow and you get the interview in a few weeks! Sending positive vibes your way... :blink: that's my + vibe face :)

The bottom line is, if you get legally married before the interview, the K1 will be denied. If you happen to get married and don't tell them, then you will have some explaining to do with it comes to your AOS. They will require a marriage certificate and will see you were married before the Visa was issued. Do you really want to fight that battle? They may see it as you obtained a K1 visa Fraudulantly.

Wait for it.... or get married and file for a K3.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.