ladywhite

Translation of documents

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
We should use caution when self-translating legal documents. Check with the laws of your home-country before doing so. It is/may not (be)enough to be fluent in a language. It might (might) be good enough for USCIS/Dept of State, etc -but don't rely on that for future legal use. Just be cautious.

Birth certificates, marriage certificates, wills, diplomas, legal documents all need to be certified.

Certified translations are governed by local laws in each country.

In a non-certified translation the translator is sometimes entitled to give a personal style and tone to the text, to make it more appropriate for the target audience.

Certified translations often must be an exact translation of the source and must always include a clause from the certifier together with a round seal affixed which only Certified Court translators may use, and must be certified by the translators signature, in order to be accepted by the courts and the authorities.

@ - Someone said Certified Translators don't exist in the US - of course they do.

Perhaps you're right, but USCIS still requests a certified translation, not a translation certified by a court certified translator. Like I've said, many people (myself included) have done their own translation without any problems. If you're competent, it shouldn't be an issue.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

If they aren't competent, they shouldn't do it. But if you are, I see no reason not to if you want to. My husband's first language isn't English, so I'm well aware some people's first language is not English. But, he was also able to translate....

I hope you're right about your husband's birth certificate... :thumbs:

Edited by Karin und Otto

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi there:

I have a quick question.

I have done all the translations myself. But, I couldn't find the statements I need to put at the bottom of the documents (saying something like 'I am good at English so capable of correctly translating this..') before I sign my name as a translator. I found those statements somewhere on VJ but unfortunately can't find them now.

Please direct me to that page, please. Thank a lot.

Ladywhite

:help:

you will get more information about this at http://www.usvisa4thai.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8398

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

So, if the embassy website doesn't say anything to the contrary, we can use the same translations for the interview, right? I did everything for the I-129F myself for USCIS, and never got an RFE or anything. Though for the birth certificate we are taking that to a professional just in case.

Участник Русского Форума

03/2003: Met Online

12/2003: I went to Moscow as an exchange student, we met in person.

20/09/2006: Sergey proposes to me!

21/02/2007: I-129F Package mailed from Wroclaw, Poland to California Service Center

28/02/2007: NOA1 issued

22/5/2007:Approved!!!!!!!!!

04/06/2007:NVC received case

11/06/2007:Left NVC for Moscow

23/08/2007: INTERVIEW, APPROVED :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.