ladywhite

Translation of documents

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hi there:

I have a quick question.

I have done all the translations myself. But, I couldn't find the statements I need to put at the bottom of the documents (saying something like 'I am good at English so capable of correctly translating this..') before I sign my name as a translator. I found those statements somewhere on VJ but unfortunately can't find them now.

Please direct me to that page, please. Thank a lot.

Ladywhite

:help:

Click here to look at my K-1 journey and AOS adventure on my profile -- signature & story tab...

----------------------------------------------------

973181_1238682260.jpg

Check out our dog's blog here.

My ROC Adventure:

January 13, 2010----------Mailed out I-751 to VSC

January 15, 2010----------Package delivered

January 19, 2010----------NOA

January 21, 2010----------Check cashed

February 17, 2010---------Biometrics

April 8, 2010----------------Card production ordered

April 19, 2010---------------Card received in the mail

The Most Powerful Force in Life is Love

1095_thumb.gif1332_thumb.gif807_thumb.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I (typed name) , certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English language and language xyz , and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled xyz .

Signature

Date Typed Name

Address

Edited by silke

AOS from F1 visa

05/02/2007 AOS Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox Day 1

05/25/2007 Biometrics appointment Day 24

07/26/2007 Interview Day 86 Approved

08/06/2007 Green card received Day 97

Removal of Conditions

04/28/2009 I-751 delivered to CSC Day 1

06/27/2009 Biometrics appointment (walk-in) Day 60

07/20/2009 Approval notice issued Day 83

07/22/2009 Received card production email Day 85

07/27/2009 Received green card & approval notice Day 90

Beibehaltungsgenehmigung (BBG)

08/03/2009 Submitted application to German consulate in L.A.

11/20/2009 Approval notice issued Day 109

US Citizenship

04/27/2010 Submitted N400

04/28/2010 N400 delivered Day 1

05/10/2010 Check cashed Day 12

05/13/2010 Received NOA (NOA was issued on 05/10) Day 15

05/20/2010 Received Biometrics notice Day 22

06/11/2010 Biometrics appointment (walk-in) Day 44

06/22/2010 Online Status changed to Testing & Interview Day 55

06/23/2010 Received interview notice in the mail Day 56

07/26/2010 Interview Day 89 Approved

08/24/2010 Oath Ceremony Day 118

My card making blog: http://silkeshimazu.wordpress.com/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

USCIS link

This is the 'offical way' the USCIS presents it.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Timeline
May I ask which documents you translated yourself? (Curious)

I translated the evidence of my name change.

Click here to look at my K-1 journey and AOS adventure on my profile -- signature & story tab...

973181_1238682260.jpg

My ROC Adventure:

Timeline

All your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot, everyone.

Ladywhite (F)

973181_1238682260.jpg

My ROC Adventure:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
You are 'good' at English?

LOL :)

MM and MS

San Francisco and Istanbul

I-129F Received (CSC): February 21, 2007

Filing Fee Check Cashed: February 26, 2007

NOA1 Issued: February 28, 2007

Touched: March 1, 2007

Touched: May 7, 2007

RFE Issued: May 8, 2007

RFE Reply Sent: June 25, 2007 (wrong PO Box)

RFE Reply Sent: July 12, 2007 (correct address)

RFE Reply Received (CSC): July 19, 2007

Touched: July 20, 2007

NOA2 Issued: July 27, 2007

Petition Received (NVC): August 20,2007

Petition Sent to Embassy (Ankara, Turkey): August 22, 2007

Packet 3 Arrived: September 11, 2007

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wait, does all this mean that anyone who is fluent in English and the language in question can translate the foreign documents? It'd be a lot easier for my fiance to translate his police report than to pay a certified translator to do it and take two weeks.

Sometimes reading these forums give me more questions than I started out with!

01/29/07: Petition sent to Vermont Service Center

02/05/07: NOA1, receipt

02/16/07: NOA2, approved!

02/26/07: Petition forwarded to Consulate in Montreal from NVC

03/06/07: Packet from Consulate received

03/31/07: Checklist sent to Consulate

(current status: waiting for the interview!)

Jaime, fiancee to Leo, a Brazilian residing in Canada...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Wait, does all this mean that anyone who is fluent in English and the language in question can translate the foreign documents? It'd be a lot easier for my fiance to translate his police report than to pay a certified translator to do it and take two weeks.

The best way I've seen this described is: it says certified translatION not translatOR. From a professional translator, she said that there really is no such thing in the US, she can pull out her certificate recognizing her a translator from some association but that really means nothing and no one ever wants to see it, anyway. You're certifying the translation is accurate and you're competent to translate it. Many "professional" translators will do the same thing you do yourself, down to the statement saying they're competent to translate.

We translated my husband's birth certificate for AOS, and our interview is already scheduled, so I'm assuming there's no RFE coming about it - many people do it themselves with no issues.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline

The best way I've seen this described is: it says certified translatION not translatOR. From a professional translator, she said that there really is no such thing in the US, she can pull out her certificate recognizing her a translator from some association but that really means nothing and no one ever wants to see it, anyway. You're certifying the translation is accurate and you're competent to translate it. Many "professional" translators will do the same thing you do yourself, down to the statement saying they're competent to translate.

We translated my husband's birth certificate for AOS, and our interview is already scheduled, so I'm assuming there's no RFE coming about it - many people do it themselves with no issues.

Meow mix: Thank you for your explanation.

And some people should realize that not everyone was born with English as their first language like you were.

973181_1238682260.jpg

My ROC Adventure:

We should use caution when self-translating legal documents. Check with the laws of your home-country before doing so. It is/may not (be)enough to be fluent in a language. It might (might) be good enough for USCIS/Dept of State, etc -but don't rely on that for future legal use. Just be cautious.

Birth certificates, marriage certificates, wills, diplomas, legal documents all need to be certified.

Certified translations are governed by local laws in each country.

In a non-certified translation the translator is sometimes entitled to give a personal style and tone to the text, to make it more appropriate for the target audience.

Certified translations often must be an exact translation of the source and must always include a clause from the certifier together with a round seal affixed which only Certified Court translators may use, and must be certified by the translators signature, in order to be accepted by the courts and the authorities.

@ - Someone said Certified Translators don't exist in the US - of course they do.

Timeline
We should use caution when self-translating legal documents. Check with the laws of your home-country before doing so. It is/may not (be)enough to be fluent in a language. It might (might) be good enough for USCIS/Dept of State, etc -but don't rely on that for future legal use. Just be cautious.

Birth certificates, marriage certificates, wills, diplomas, legal documents all need to be certified.

Certified translations are governed by local laws in each country.

In a non-certified translation the translator is sometimes entitled to give a personal style and tone to the text, to make it more appropriate for the target audience.

Certified translations often must be an exact translation of the source and must always include a clause from the certifier together with a round seal affixed which only Certified Court translators may use, and must be certified by the translators signature, in order to be accepted by the courts and the authorities.

@ - Someone said Certified Translators don't exist in the US - of course they do.

I do greatly appreciate your input.

From the experiences of successful Thai beneficiaries, documents such as House registration, ID card that are translated by the beneficiaries themselves are accepted by Consulate officers at the US consulate in Bangkok. You just have to certify that your translation is accurate and submit both the original and translation copies on your interview. I believe the consulate officers (both American and Thai) are fluent in both languages and are able to tell if the translation is accurate.

For documents submitted to USCIS, I kind of wondered if they'd accept documents translated by either the petitioner or beneficiary themselves, plus I couldn't find approriate statements to say on the translated copies. On my BC I requested from the government office responsible for Birth records in thailand, it doesn't have anything written on the translated document other than the phrase "Certified accurate translation" and then the signature of the translator and his printed name (who actually is a certified translator for that government office). So, what difference would it be if that was me who translated it? USCIS didn't ask for the certification of the translator to be submitted, right?

According to meow mix's posting, USCIS accepts documents translated by petitioners themselves.

Again, I do appreciate the time, help, inputs, and everything you guys provided here.

It is always good knowing you can get help when you need it.

973181_1238682260.jpg

My ROC Adventure:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

I live on the Texas/Mexico border. I have been using a notary to do my translations. (Everyone who lives in these border towns are bilingual) She translated the document and stated that she is bilingual (in different terms I think) and then notarized it. I think she had a stamp also (other than the notary stamp). She does translations frequently. Being a border town, people are always needing documents translated for official use. (I heard of her by word of mouth. They also do notaries and tax services and stuff like that.) She has only charged me $3 per translation to-date. Maybe there is a notary in your fiance(e)'s home country that is bilingual and will offer this same service?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Meow mix: Thank you for your explanation.

And some people should realize that not everyone was born with English as their first language like you were.

If they aren't competent, they shouldn't do it. But if you are, I see no reason not to if you want to. My husband's first language isn't English, so I'm well aware some people's first language is not English. But, he was also able to translate....

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.