arsalk

ALL Nebraska I-130 Filers - 2

2,982 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
29 minutes ago, goobies said:

I have a quivk question. Maybe it can take us all off the loop of thinking about the LONG WAIT!

I have not yet changed my last name to that of my husband's. Will this make any red-flags arise? Is it advised to change my name? 

The reason I haven't is that I didn't want to pay for a new passport AND run the risk of it not being ready by the time I needed to get back to my sweet husband. 

What say you, VJ'ers?

I am in the process of changing my name to my hsuband's(I am the U.S. citizen. In an interview in Ghana the CO requested proof of her name change. They told her husband to come back with the proof. I think it would definitely help with your case. Also you can still travel on your passport in your maiden name. You just need to travel with proof of the name change. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Uganda
Timeline
13 minutes ago, myheart0628 said:

I am in the process of changing my name to my hsuband's(I am the U.S. citizen. In an interview in Ghana the CO requested proof of her name change. They told her husband to come back with the proof. I think it would definitely help with your case. Also you can still travel on your passport in your maiden name. You just need to travel with proof of the name change. 

Which documents are you changing? DMV won't accept my Marriage Certificate because my husband's clan name is before his given name.

I am going to SSA tomorrow. Hopefully I will have better luck with them.

Do we need to send any notice to USCIS or NVC to get our names updated with them? Does this cause any delay?

Thank you for responding.

Timeline
23 minutes ago, goobies said:

Which documents are you changing? DMV won't accept my Marriage Certificate because my husband's clan name is before his given name.

I am going to SSA tomorrow. Hopefully I will have better luck with them.

Do we need to send any notice to USCIS or NVC to get our names updated with them? Does this cause any delay?

Thank you for responding.

I am changing my SS card and drivers license. When I went to the SS office they gave me a hard time about my marriage certificate because Ghana is not one of the countries with an agreement with the U.S. The first time I went they told me in the field offices they can't accept foreign certificates without U.S. Agreements.These certificates have to be sent to a office in Dallas along with marriage evidence to authenticate the marriage. That took about a week to authenticate and then I went to the office to fill out the papers.  I basically just gave them what I did to USCIS , marriage certificate, USCIS notice of action and my husband pension with me as the beneficiary. After changing the SS card everything else will be way easier to do. 

You can send a notice but more than likely it will delay your case.I actually found out that you could've just put your married name on the petition and changed it later ?. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, myheart0628 said:

I am changing my SS card and drivers license. When I went to the SS office they gave me a hard time about my marriage certificate because Ghana is not one of the countries with an agreement with the U.S. The first time I went they told me in the field offices they can't accept foreign certificates without U.S. Agreements.These certificates have to be sent to a office in Dallas along with marriage evidence to authenticate the marriage. That took about a week to authenticate and then I went to the office to fill out the papers.  I basically just gave them what I did to USCIS , marriage certificate, USCIS notice of action and my husband pension with me as the beneficiary. After changing the SS card everything else will be way easier to do. 

You can send a notice but more than likely it will delay your case.I actually found out that you could've just put your married name on the petition and changed it later ?. 

Key question: Are we REQUIRED to send a notice? And if I don't and just put my married name on NVC forms, will this cause problems?

Timeline
Just now, goobies said:

Key question: Are we REQUIRED to send a notice? And if I don't and just put my married name on NVC forms, will this cause problems?

No you're not I sent the NOA1. Not the NOA2. You can put it at the NVC phase you just need to send confirmation. They don't tell you unless you ask but you can do it over email. Just put in pdf format your proof of name change with a little note explaining what you want. Everything should be food to go 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Liberia
Timeline
4 hours ago, goobies said:

Yes. Send a letter to Where ur case is at. Uscis or NVC along with the of proof of name change, it could be ur married certificate. I did the same when my case was at uscis.. I had no prob. I was the USC. Good luck!

Edited by bookman

7 hours ago, Bendite said:

We all need to stay positive! Hang in there!!

Thanks Bendite :)

I'm going to see my husband in April so that helps!! 

We have each other here so that's a plus because the regular person out there has no idea about what we are going through

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

2 hours ago, Mary Lou said:

Thanks Bendite :)

I'm going to see my husband in April so that helps!! 

We have each other here so that's a plus because the regular person out there has no idea about what we are going through

Me too !safe travels!!!

Timeline
13 hours ago, bookman said:

Yes. Send a letter to Where ur case is at. Uscis or NVC along with the of proof of name change, it could be ur married certificate. I did the same when my case was at uscis.. I had no prob. I was the USC. Good luck!

Did it cause any delay?

Thanks for responding. 

Timeline

I just want to say thank you for everyone's help on this thread. This wait is so stressful and I am so thankful that it is finally over.i waited almost 8 months with no RFEs I just got word that my l petition was sent to the state department.

this is my timeline I filed a K3.

08/04/2016- I-130 received 

08/19/2016- I-129f received 

03/15/17- I-129f closed because Spouse received another benefit.

03/18/17- I-130 updated to show approved

03/23/17- 1-130 updated online that it was sent to the state department. 

Edited by myheart0628

5 hours ago, spinkycow said:

We've hit the four month mark of waiting. Nebraska....I don't even know what to say.

Wait till you're almost at the 7 month mark ???

2 hours ago, myheart0628 said:

I just want to say thank you for everyone's help on this thread. This wait is so stressful and I am so thankful that it is finally over.i waited almost 8 months with no RFEs I just got word that my l petition was sent to the state department.

this is my timeline I filed a K3.

08/04/2016- I-130 received 

08/19/2016- I-129f received 

03/15/17- I-129f closed because Spouse received another benefit.

03/18/17- I-130 updated to show approved

03/23/17- 1-130 updated online that it was sent to the state department. 

Congratulations!!

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.