Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,965 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me how it works getting back to Denmark after the interview in Stockholm since the embassy keeps your passport? (I will be flying). 

I don't have a drivers license and Denmark doesn't have any other form of official ID. What did everyone else do? Or do they even check it? Can I bring something else? 

-Nadia

Edited by nadiachr13

14 hours ago, nadiachr13 said:

Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me how it works getting back to Denmark after the interview in Stockholm since the embassy keeps your passport? (I will be flying). 

I don't have a drivers license and Denmark doesn't have any other form of official ID. What did everyone else do? Or do they even check it? Can I bring something else? 

-Nadia

Whenever I have flown to Denmark they never asked to see any form of identification. I'm not sure of the general routines but I think they probably never do when you fly.

h

On 4/24/2018 at 9:16 PM, annaandasbjorn said:

Hello everyone!  We are still waiting for the case number from NVC, but i was wondering, can beneficiary do his medical without a case number?  He's in Denmark!

I did mine in Stockholm and I needed to case number to book the appointment. If I were you I would email the clinic in Denmark and ask, that could never hurt.

h

Okay @Paul & Mallory @blenheim @camillamilla and anyone else who may have some input on the Stockholm embassy interview - what financial docs did they seem most interested in?

We will of course bring the I-134 (wet signature petitioner), the 1040 for 2017 (signed, but copy), employer's statement (wet signature by HR), salary raise letter (no signature), pay stubs for the last three or four months, letter from petitioner explaining his occupation (studies) before he started working in June 2017 (wet signature petitioner). I also got copies of his bank statements (one for every single one of the past 12 months) but they do not really say date opened. But then I read the I-134 instructions and they said to bring evidence that "apply to your situation". And we will rely on his income, not his assets/bank balance, for the sponsorship, so I'm not sure how important these bank statements are. 

h

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
20 minutes ago, LizM said:

Okay @Paul & Mallory @blenheim @camillamilla and anyone else who may have some input on the Stockholm embassy interview - what financial docs did they seem most interested in?

We will of course bring the I-134 (wet signature petitioner), the 1040 for 2017 (signed, but copy), employer's statement (wet signature by HR), salary raise letter (no signature), pay stubs for the last three or four months, letter from petitioner explaining his occupation (studies) before he started working in June 2017 (wet signature petitioner). I also got copies of his bank statements (one for every single one of the past 12 months) but they do not really say date opened. But then I read the I-134 instructions and they said to bring evidence that "apply to your situation". And we will rely on his income, not his assets/bank balance, for the sponsorship, so I'm not sure how important these bank statements are. 

You have more than I brought with the I-134. They seemed most interested in I-134 and tax return. I think you should be fine with what you have. If they would need anything else they'll let you know and have him send it to them. I would not stress about that as you seem well prepared. Everyone were very kind and helpful. :) Let me know if you have other questions and I'll help as much as I can. Good luck, it's almost done now!!  

3 hours ago, camillamilla said:

You have more than I brought with the I-134. They seemed most interested in I-134 and tax return. I think you should be fine with what you have. If they would need anything else they'll let you know and have him send it to them. I would not stress about that as you seem well prepared. Everyone were very kind and helpful. :) Let me know if you have other questions and I'll help as much as I can. Good luck, it's almost done now!!  

This is so good to hear! I've just read through the consulate reviews and everyone says the same thing - that the embassy officers are really nice. I just can't help to be a little bit nervous still. Thank you for calming my nerves :) I miiight just pm you if I have any more questions in the next few days :innocent:

h

Timeline
3 minutes ago, LizM said:

This is so good to hear! I've just read through the consulate reviews and everyone says the same thing - that the embassy officers are really nice. I just can't help to be a little bit nervous still. Thank you for calming my nerves :) I miiight just pm you if I have any more questions in the next few days :innocent:

No need to be nervous. :) I was soooo nervous before the interview too though!! Couldn't sleep the 2 nights before. Lol!

Absolutely, feel free to do so. :thumbs:

Timeline
3 hours ago, LizM said:

One of them, an older American man, is not so nice, haha. But from what I understand he doesn't handle the immigrant visas (K-1 included), only temporary visas for work, tourism etc.

When sitting in the waiting room you can hear people being interviewed, and after listening to this particular interviewer for over 2 hours I was so scared I would end up being interviewed by him. He denied student-, tourist and work visas over and over during the all-in-all 3 hours I was there. He wasn't nice about it either, some people even left crying. I'm sure he did what he had to do, but in a very harsh tone, haha.

Everyone that was involved in my K-1 visa process at the embassy was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. Even the email correspondence was very nice. So you'll be perfectly fine!

The embassy only asked for the i-134 and the latest tax return, but my husband is self-employed so it's not like he has paystubs, letter from employer or anything like that to show anyway. We never showed our assets/bank accounts/money markets etc. as the tax return showed he earned enough, and they never asked for anything else either.

Edited by Scandi

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
16 hours ago, LizM said:

I didn't go to the interview myself, so this is what I remember from what my partner shared. He said they only took the i-134 and financial proof, everything else he kept (good less papers we have to fetch for AOS!!). He said the whole interview lasted only about 15 minutes and was generally pretty pleasant. They were most curious as to how we met, not in a questioning way, but more in a they were interested kind of way. Apparently most people who meet online in Sweden do so through gaming they said, whereas we met in instagram which wasn't very usual. The CO asked him why he wanted to move here instead of vice versa and he said to further his career and apparently the CO really liked that answer.

You're going to breeze through this and be hoping over in no time!! 😎

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F Sent: 08/15/2017

NOA1: 08/18/2017

NOA2: 02/20/2018 (186 days)

NOA2 Hardcopy Sent: 02/24/2018

USCIS sent to NVC: 02/27/2018

NVC Received: 03/07/2018

NVC Case #: 03/15/2018

NVC Left: 03/16/2018

Embassy Received: 03/19/2018

Medical Exam: 03/21/2018

Interview at Stockholm Embassy: 04/12/2018 -- Approved!!

Visa Issued: 04/16/2018

Visa Received: 04/25/2018

POE: 04/27/2018

Married: 05/1/2018

AOS + AP + EAD:
Package Sent: 05/08/2018

NOA1: 05/15/2018

Biometrics: 06/4/2018

EAD/AP Card Being Produced: 9/28/18 (143 days)
EAD/AP Received: 10/4/18

AOS Interview: 09/26/19 (499 days from NOA1) Accepted!
GC Received: 10/16/19

Timeline

Hello friends! I don’t remember if I have posted here before, but I think not....my fiancé and I just received our NOA2 last week and are preparing for the next steps of the process with medical and interview and whatnot (he’s the Swedish one!). So it finally feels like we have things to do instead of just waiting forever! I don’t want to be redundant if this is asked all the time, but can someone maybe direct me to a link or a place with more Sweden/Stockholm specific embassy info? I just want to make sure we don’t miss anything form-wise and get an idea of the timeline we’re still looking at! I’ll be here in Sweden for about 3 more weeks and would like to help him move everything along as quickly as possible. Maybe it’s unlikely, but it would be really cool if I could even be here when he gets his interview or his medical :)  

I also have a specific question to us...if I am a student and my parents are sponsoring him instead with the I-134, do I still need to fill one out myself even though I have no income basically? I did fill out a tax return last year, but not for 2016. So I could only provide 2017 at this point. Any info or websites with more info would be appreciated!

Timeline
On 2018-04-28 at 8:21 PM, Scandi said:

One of them, an older American man, is not so nice, haha. But from what I understand he doesn't handle the immigrant visas (K-1 included), only temporary visas for work, tourism etc.

When sitting in the waiting room you can hear people being interviewed, and after listening to this particular interviewer for over 2 hours I was so scared I would end up being interviewed by him. He denied student-, tourist and work visas over and over during the all-in-all 3 hours I was there. He wasn't nice about it either, some people even left crying. I'm sure he did what he had to do, but in a very harsh tone, haha.

Everyone that was involved in my K-1 visa process at the embassy was extremely friendly and easy to talk to. Even the email correspondence was very nice. So you'll be perfectly fine!

The embassy only asked for the i-134 and the latest tax return, but my husband is self-employed so it's not like he has paystubs, letter from employer or anything like that to show anyway. We never showed our assets/bank accounts/money markets etc. as the tax return showed he earned enough, and they never asked for anything else either.

Haha yeah I got to his window first when they directed me to go there entering the building. When I gave him my passport and said I was there for a k1 Visa he said I was at the wrong window and told me to sit down and wait for my name to be called up. The Swedish lady and the young American officer doing the interview at the other side of the room were very nice though! 

I don't know how it's even possible!? but somehow, I lost my ticket for my phone in that small waiting room. :bonk: :oops:Told the officer standing at the entrance door and he just smiled and said not to worry about it and to focus on the interview. And yes I have the most bad luck ever. :lol: 

Hi Scandis! 

My fiance and I are working on everything we need for the interview date (recieved at NVC but no case # yet). Filip spent three years in Portugal, he was not registered there, he has always been a resident of Norway. He paid Norwegian taxes during that time. He rented several different apartments over the 3 years in Portugal. Our K1 application has supporting evidence containing trips I took to Portugal to visit him while he was living there. 

So my question has to do with police records...I know he needs a copy of his Norwegian police record for the interview but what about Portugal? 

The Norwegian police record says it's valid only for Norway. The Portuguese one doesn't specify but it does state it's available to "former residents" 

If he was never registered or legally a resident there, does he need a copy of his police record for the time he was there ? 

Would they even have a document available to him? 

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks all!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:16 AM, LizM said:

If I remember correctly, Paul said they were most interested in my tax forms and just the affidavit itself. He said they didn't really look at anything else I gave him to bring. I'd also given him two recent bank statements (account number blacked out) and a letter from my bank confirming my current financial assets. Don't think they even looked at them lol. They may have glanced at it just to verify but didn't spend too much time there. He said they asked questions more than anything, asked him a few times in different ways what I do for a living and wanted details, I remember that.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

5 hours ago, Paul & Mallory said:

If I remember correctly, Paul said they were most interested in my tax forms and just the affidavit itself. He said they didn't really look at anything else I gave him to bring. I'd also given him two recent bank statements (account number blacked out) and a letter from my bank confirming my current financial assets. Don't think they even looked at them lol. They may have glanced at it just to verify but didn't spend too much time there. He said they asked questions more than anything, asked him a few times in different ways what I do for a living and wanted details, I remember that.

Okay, I've printed the 1040 including the one Schedule D attachment that also said "Form 1040" (for Capital Gains and Losses). Then there are a bunch of other forms for different things and W2s but I assumed they were not a part of the 1040. Hope that's correct!

Thank you so much for your input @Scandi @camillamilla @blenheim. I hope I'm prepared enough and that worst case I'll just have to add something afterwards.

h

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 minutes ago, LizM said:

Okay, I've printed the 1040 including the one Schedule D attachment that also said "Form 1040" (for Capital Gains and Losses). Then there are a bunch of other forms for different things and W2s but I assumed they were not a part of the 1040. Hope that's correct!

Thank you so much for your input @Scandi @camillamilla @blenheim. I hope I'm prepared enough and that worst case I'll just have to add something afterwards.

If you are presenting your tax return, you have to include all the forms, schedules, and W2s if I'm not mistaken.  Often it is just easier to do the transcript.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.