Suss&Camm

Scandinavians Part 2

1,960 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, myjourney2018 said:

No worries, the interviews won't fill up.  When we started the process, we were able to book the following thursday but we didn't even have our medical done yet so the medical was holding us up hence why I suggested getting the medical done as soon as possible.  

My fiance's interview went well but we got a 221(g) for her birth certificate.  So we are having issues trying to get that since she wasn't born in Sweden.  

Just out of curiosity, I assume her personbevis say the location where she was born? 

Might seem like a stupid question but actually during some time in Sweden in the 90s they used to print a Swedish birthplace in the passports of children who were born abroad but eligible for Swedish citizenship. No clue why, because it's not like you have to have a Swedish birthplace to have Swedish citizenship, so it was really a weird routine. But the "real" birthplace would show up in the personbevis either way, which makes sense I guess.

I hope it won't be too difficult to find her BC - is it tough to get records from the country she was born in?

h

Timeline
3 minutes ago, LizM said:

Just out of curiosity, I assume her personbevis say the location where she was born? 

Might seem like a stupid question but actually during some time in Sweden in the 90s they used to print a Swedish birthplace in the passports of children who were born abroad but eligible for Swedish citizenship. No clue why, because it's not like you have to have a Swedish birthplace to have Swedish citizenship, so it was really a weird routine. But the "real" birthplace would show up in the personbevis either way, which makes sense I guess.

I hope it won't be too difficult to find her BC - is it tough to get records from the country she was born in?

Hi LizM, her personbevis does say the location she was born in and it was vietnam.  The only issue is she might not even have a birth certificate there because this was over 30 years ago.  During her interview, she did express to the CO that a BC might not be possible and he said to her "to try get to one/something to show that she made an effort".  

1 minute ago, myjourney2018 said:

Hi LizM, her personbevis does say the location she was born in and it was vietnam.  The only issue is she might not even have a birth certificate there because this was over 30 years ago.  During her interview, she did express to the CO that a BC might not be possible and he said to her "to try get to one/something to show that she made an effort".  

Gotcha, well, if she reaches out and they're not able to locate her records, probably a copy of the communication where they say they couldn't find anything would be adequate proof that she made the effort. I would hope they would store records even from 30 years ago, but I see how it might be difficult to figure out not being there.

h

Timeline
1 minute ago, LizM said:

Gotcha, well, if she reaches out and they're not able to locate her records, probably a copy of the communication where they say they couldn't find anything would be adequate proof that she made the effort. I would hope they would store records even from 30 years ago, but I see how it might be difficult to figure out not being there.

Yeah we are documenting the attempts we are making to get the BC/information.  Like contacting immigration, getting records of name change since Swedish citizenship. We will probably include affidavit from relatives attesting to her identity and place of birth.  

A bit frustrating that this is the only thing holding us up but overall I must say I have learnt a lot about immigration regarding the Swedish system.  

7 minutes ago, myjourney2018 said:

Yeah we are documenting the attempts we are making to get the BC/information.  Like contacting immigration, getting records of name change since Swedish citizenship. We will probably include affidavit from relatives attesting to her identity and place of birth.  

A bit frustrating that this is the only thing holding us up but overall I must say I have learnt a lot about immigration regarding the Swedish system.  

I understand, sounds tricky. Have you gotten in touch with their authority that governs the population registry?

h

Timeline
5 minutes ago, LizM said:

I understand, sounds tricky. Have you gotten in touch with their authority that governs the population registry?

Not yet, a relative will be going for us this monday.  Hoping they can get some sort of information or possibly re-register my fiance.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

So our petition was approved last week and been sent to NVC. Right now I am trying to collect all the papers needed for the next step. 

I read somewhere that you need to bring your medical journal to the medical examination however I didnt see that stated on the official information from the US embassy in Sweden. Did any of you request it from the archives to bring copies of it for the medical? Or how does it work? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
14 hours ago, LisaN said:

So our petition was approved last week and been sent to NVC. Right now I am trying to collect all the papers needed for the next step. 

I read somewhere that you need to bring your medical journal to the medical examination however I didnt see that stated on the official information from the US embassy in Sweden. Did any of you request it from the archives to bring copies of it for the medical? Or how does it work? 

Not needed. Not unless you're currently being treated against something major I believe. But in general not needed. 

Edited by Unidentified

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
17 hours ago, Unidentified said:

Not needed. Not unless you're currently being treated against something major I believe. But in general not needed. 

So what did you bring and what questions were you asked?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
On 2/28/2019 at 1:55 PM, LisaN said:

Nah, didn't bring anything apart from proof of vaccinations I have had, my case number, two passport style photos, ID that was never asked for and money to pay. 

You get a form where you fill in every issue you have/had (it's a long list of boxes you check). For me for instance the only box I put a check mark on was that I wear glasses/contacts. No other issues, the Doctor (in Gbg) didn't ask for any journals or anything like that, he barely looked at my vaccination records. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I have a question about the divorce certificate that has been bugging me while we're waiting for the NOA2.

When I was getting all my paperwork ready for the I-129f I called Skatteverket to ask about the divorce certificate and they said it's just the Personbevis that they stamp and sign, can anyone here verify this?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
10 hours ago, Pinda said:

I have a question about the divorce certificate that has been bugging me while we're waiting for the NOA2.

When I was getting all my paperwork ready for the I-129f I called Skatteverket to ask about the divorce certificate and they said it's just the Personbevis that they stamp and sign, can anyone here verify this?

Hej!

I'm assuming that you are asking about the divorce papers for your previous marriage? In that case I was in that situation (although I was applying for an I130 for my new wife, so maybe a bit different?). I found out that the "personbevis" is *not* enough. I don't remember exactly what it is called, but you need a copy of the actual court decision of your divorce (go / call the court in the "län" were you filed for divorce). It is easy to get, but you also need to get it translated into english. I did mine myself, which was accepted when filing but when my wife went to the embassy for the interview they said they needed a certified translation, so had to run out and get that...

Good luck!

/S

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 hours ago, nasa2016 said:

Hej!

I'm assuming that you are asking about the divorce papers for your previous marriage? In that case I was in that situation (although I was applying for an I130 for my new wife, so maybe a bit different?). I found out that the "personbevis" is *not* enough. I don't remember exactly what it is called, but you need a copy of the actual court decision of your divorce (go / call the court in the "län" were you filed for divorce). It is easy to get, but you also need to get it translated into english. I did mine myself, which was accepted when filing but when my wife went to the embassy for the interview they said they needed a certified translation, so had to run out and get that...

Good luck!

/S

Oh man, guessing I'll get an RFE for that. 😕 I'll get working on the certificate now then. Should have gone with my gut and not trusted the woman on the phone. 

Thank you for the help!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.