Neen_in_Ottawa

Entering the US while case is pending

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Go for it Canadian_Butterfly ...

I'm doing it all myself ... with the help of the great people here!

I guess Easter is not so big a deal in the US ... my husband works Friday & Monday!

My husband has dual citizenship with Canada and the US. He was born in the US but has lived in Canada for 30 years. We've been married for quite awhile. We have a 15 year old son.

I-130

Feb 07, 2007 - Sent I-130 to Vermont

Feb 20, 2007 - Received NOA1

May 15, 2007 - Email - Approval notice sent!

May 23, 2007 - Received NOA2

I-129F for K3

Feb 21, 2007 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Mar 20, 2007 - Received NOA1

Apr 02, 2007 - Rec'd email - transfer to Vermont Service Centre

May 15, 2007 - Approved!

June 04, 2007 - Received Pkt 3

June 05, 2007 - Mailed Pkt 3 back to Montreal

June 06, 2007 - Montreal receives completed Pkt 3

June 09, 2007 - Received NOA2

August 23, 2007 - Rec'd email from MTL with interview date

October 31, 2007 - Interview in Montreal - APPROVED!!

November 2, 2007 - Visa arrived (2 days)

November 6, 2007 - K3 Visa activated in Ottawa

AOS & EAD

November 16, 2007 - Mailed AOS/EAD to Chicago

November 19, 2007 - Received in Chicago @ 8:18 am - Signed by V. Bustamante

November 27, 2007 - Received NOA1

December 20, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Timeline
Go for it Canadian_Butterfly ...

I'm doing it all myself ... with the help of the great people here!

I guess Easter is not so big a deal in the US ... my husband works Friday & Monday!

Ya, I hear you Neen_in_Ottawa...My husband is also working Friday & Monday too. And I think I will try doing it all myself too, with the help of everyone here of course! ;)

Canadian_Butterfly :)

Edited by CanadianButterfly

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

to add to my list, don't leave areas blank!!! put not applicable, none, etc

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: France
Timeline
I'm curious to know if anyone has entered the US while their case is pending and if that was difficult?

I have filed an I-130 and an I-129F. My son and I are going to Texas for Easter to visit my husband. We will be returning the weekend after ... we have return tickets. I work for the Canadian Federal Government, I own a home here, my son attends school here etc.

I plan to say I'm going to visit family. This isn't illegal is it? I'm getting nervous now as I will not lie.

The problem is, that they will be able to see that you are in the system, and have the right to refuse you admittance into the US. I think that the problem is, that they believe that someone with a case pending, could enter the USA, stay here, and file a change of status to stay as a spouse of an American citizen. I have heard of people doing that, and at the same time I have heard of people being refused admittance into the country. It could be easier if he were coming to visit you, as I don't think that this would be looked at in the same way!

I-130 PROCESS

12/21/2006 - Married

3/16/2007 - Sent I-130 USPS Priority Mail

3/19/2007 - CSC Received I-130

3/22/2007 - NOA1

3/23/2007 - Check Processed

8/22/2007 - RFE

9/14/2007 - Sent evidence to CSC

9/23/2007 - CSC Received Evidence

11/1/2007 - NOA2 - Approved

1/7/2008 - NVC Received package

1/16/2008 - NVC sent pkg to France

1/23/2008 - France received package

1/29/2008 - Spouse received instructions

3/11/2008 - Completed/sent DS-230 to USA Embassy

4/1/2008 - Received appointment date

4/14/2008 - Spouse received medical exam

4/24/2008 - Interview date

4/24/2008 - Visa Approved

4/30/2008 - Visa arrived

6/30/2008 - Arrived in the USA

9/26/2008 - Filed AOS/EAD paperwork

10/3/2008 - NOA

10/10/2008 - NOA-Biometrics Appt

10/28/2008 - Biometrics Appt

9/30/2008 - Filed for AOS

12/22/2008 - NOA Interview date

2/17/2009 - Interview at USCIS Phoenix and APPROVAL!!

I-129F PROCESS

3/30/2007 - Sent I-129F USPS Priority Mail

4/2/2007 - USCIS Chicago Received I-129

4/4/2007 - NOA1

4/5/2007 - Check Processed

4/17/2007 - Transferred to CSC for processing

5/7/2007 - Touched

11/1/2007 - NOA2 - Approved

4/24/2008 - Visa Approved

4/30/2008 - Visa arrived

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello everyone! :)

I'm new to all of this. I'm a Canadian citizen and have been married to an American citizen for over a year. We haven't applied for my visa as yet as we're just trying to do research first to figure out how we go about filing everything while I'm in Canada.

I'm just curious/confused...Is everyone saying that they have been travelling back and forth while waiting for their K-3 visa's to go through? I was under the impression that you couldn't leave the country until the K-3 visa was approved. Am I mistaken? (I'm sorry maybe it's something else you're talking about, and I'm coming up with my own ideas. Like I said though I'm new to all of this, so please be patient with me.) :)

**I too would like to go visit my husband for the long weekend and I'm wondering if any of you know what happens if you're denied entry even before you start applying for the visa? Does that ruin your chances of having it approved? How does it affect your application?

Thanks in advance everyone for you patience and advice!

By the way, I agree with having as much information to prove that you're coming back and that you're only going for a visit. Good luck with getting across and enjoy your time with your husband! :)

I have been denied twice. They felt I didn't have enough ties to Canada.

Come Interview time, I am not worried about it. I was honest at the Border and I will be honest at the Interview.

It does still make me a little mad. As a tourist I never had a problem travelling- now that I am married and going through the Legal process of Immigration, I get denied entry. Sigh.

You were denied twice? That's terrible! What didn't you have to convince them that you might not return?

I did get a letter from my employer today, we have round tickets, I'll bring my most current mortgage statement from the bank ... *sigh* ...

My fear is ... I'll get nervous ... like I'm doing something wrong!

The first time I didn't have a return ticket. At that time me and Mel were clueless about the Immigration process, I didn't think I would have any problems coming home for a 2 week visit. We had just filed the I 130 in the US about a month before I came home. Looking back, I think it for the best I came home and am doing the process here. I don't know if staying in the US while it was processing may have complicated things or maybe I would have been sent back to Canada anyway? Don't know.

The second time I wanted to go for Mardi Gras. I had a return ticket, letters, bank statements, whatever I could bring. At that time I wasn't working. I don't own a home here in Canada- that is a big tie to Canada. I was nice, I was honest but still got denied.

Timeline

I cant say enough how easy its been for us crossing back and forth. Maybe I have an honest face , maybe I act too dumb to be a threat, i dunno. I am so painfully honest with them, Im surprised they have charged me duty on anything. When we got engaged I pulled up to the booth waving my ring and squealing LIKE A GIRL ( cuz I am a girl). The guy laughed , congratulated me and sent me on my way.Everytime I cross I greet them as if they are an old friend, smile big and have my id in hand. Ive been thanked for having all of my docs ready when i approach the booth. I have a friend who would always include her business card with her id, showing 2 things 1) she has a job to return to and 2) she is offering to prove it without being asked. I can say, since filing, my husband has carried the majority of the travel burden which has been an every 2 week to a monthly thing. He is military and maybe that is in the info they have......I'd think the threat of being AWOL is bigger than being denied and if they have his job documented in their records , they know he's going back.

I'd sure hate to be the one who says " hey go for it, there wont be any trouble' and then have you get turned back BUT I think the odds of having a trouble free crossing are better than the odds you'll get in Vegas.

Have a great weekend

google.gif

Timeline

Success! We are here in Dallas!

The officer asked us where we were going (Dallas) who we were visiting (my husband)... and he said "have a great visit" and that was it!

My husband has dual citizenship with Canada and the US. He was born in the US but has lived in Canada for 30 years. We've been married for quite awhile. We have a 15 year old son.

I-130

Feb 07, 2007 - Sent I-130 to Vermont

Feb 20, 2007 - Received NOA1

May 15, 2007 - Email - Approval notice sent!

May 23, 2007 - Received NOA2

I-129F for K3

Feb 21, 2007 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Mar 20, 2007 - Received NOA1

Apr 02, 2007 - Rec'd email - transfer to Vermont Service Centre

May 15, 2007 - Approved!

June 04, 2007 - Received Pkt 3

June 05, 2007 - Mailed Pkt 3 back to Montreal

June 06, 2007 - Montreal receives completed Pkt 3

June 09, 2007 - Received NOA2

August 23, 2007 - Rec'd email from MTL with interview date

October 31, 2007 - Interview in Montreal - APPROVED!!

November 2, 2007 - Visa arrived (2 days)

November 6, 2007 - K3 Visa activated in Ottawa

AOS & EAD

November 16, 2007 - Mailed AOS/EAD to Chicago

November 19, 2007 - Received in Chicago @ 8:18 am - Signed by V. Bustamante

November 27, 2007 - Received NOA1

December 20, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Timeline
Success! We are here in Dallas!

The officer asked us where we were going (Dallas) who we were visiting (my husband)... and he said "have a great visit" and that was it!

Glad to hear you made it there w/ no problems Neen_in_Ottawa! I hope you're enjoying your time with your hubby! Happy Easter! :)

(Sad to leave my hubby today....:()

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
I'm curious to know if anyone has entered the US while their case is pending and if that was difficult?

I have filed an I-130 and an I-129F. My son and I are going to Texas for Easter to visit my husband. We will be returning the weekend after ... we have return tickets. I work for the Canadian Federal Government, I own a home here, my son attends school here etc.

I plan to say I'm going to visit family. This isn't illegal is it? I'm getting nervous now as I will not lie.

I've been to the US three times since we filed for the fiancée visa, and never had any problems. They asked how much luggage I had, how much cash I brought with me, how long I was staying and why I was there. On two occasions they asked when we were planning on getting married and I simply replied that it was up to the USCIS and that we were waiting for the approval. The immigration officers have never been anything but pleasant and corteous.

I just noticed you were going for easter... I hope you had a good trip.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.