Neen_in_Ottawa

Entering the US while case is pending

24 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm curious to know if anyone has entered the US while their case is pending and if that was difficult?

I have filed an I-130 and an I-129F. My son and I are going to Texas for Easter to visit my husband. We will be returning the weekend after ... we have return tickets. I work for the Canadian Federal Government, I own a home here, my son attends school here etc.

I plan to say I'm going to visit family. This isn't illegal is it? I'm getting nervous now as I will not lie.

My husband has dual citizenship with Canada and the US. He was born in the US but has lived in Canada for 30 years. We've been married for quite awhile. We have a 15 year old son.

I-130

Feb 07, 2007 - Sent I-130 to Vermont

Feb 20, 2007 - Received NOA1

May 15, 2007 - Email - Approval notice sent!

May 23, 2007 - Received NOA2

I-129F for K3

Feb 21, 2007 - Sent I-129F to Chicago

Mar 20, 2007 - Received NOA1

Apr 02, 2007 - Rec'd email - transfer to Vermont Service Centre

May 15, 2007 - Approved!

June 04, 2007 - Received Pkt 3

June 05, 2007 - Mailed Pkt 3 back to Montreal

June 06, 2007 - Montreal receives completed Pkt 3

June 09, 2007 - Received NOA2

August 23, 2007 - Rec'd email from MTL with interview date

October 31, 2007 - Interview in Montreal - APPROVED!!

November 2, 2007 - Visa arrived (2 days)

November 6, 2007 - K3 Visa activated in Ottawa

AOS & EAD

November 16, 2007 - Mailed AOS/EAD to Chicago

November 19, 2007 - Received in Chicago @ 8:18 am - Signed by V. Bustamante

November 27, 2007 - Received NOA1

December 20, 2007 - Biometrics Appointment

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would definitely take proof of your ties to Canada with you, such as your mortgage/lease papers, a letter from your employer stating the date you are expected back, your most recent pay stub, as well as a letter from your son's school with the expected date of his return.

It is a very good idea not to lie when going thru the POE. If you tell them you are going to visit your husband for Easter, but plan to return after your "visit", and you have lots of proof of ties to Canada, you shouldn't have a problem. But, of course, there is never any guarantee that you will be let into the U.S., no matter how much proof you have with you. It is completely up to the POE officer to determine if you will be allowed entry. You could even take your NOA's to show that you have applied for, and are awaiting approval of, visas for yourself and your son.

I entered the US several times while our K-1 Visa was being processed without any problems, but I drove across the border, rather than fly into the U.S.

Good luck and have a happy Easter with your husband.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I'm curious to know if anyone has entered the US while their case is pending and if that was difficult?

I have filed an I-130 and an I-129F. My son and I are going to Texas for Easter to visit my husband. We will be returning the weekend after ... we have return tickets. I work for the Canadian Federal Government, I own a home here, my son attends school here etc.

I plan to say I'm going to visit family. This isn't illegal is it? I'm getting nervous now as I will not lie.

It is not illegal. Your husband is "family". We're going to visit family for Easter is a perfect reason for travel. Your round trip ticket is probably all you'll need but the other documentation would be good to have on hand in case something more is asked for.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Must be Monday,lol this question (by canadians) is brought up weekly on VJ,lol

1)bring ties to canada (mortgage, lease, letter from empoyer, etc)

2)Answer all questions honestly, but dont add on to much, dont blh blah blah

3)Don't bring a lot of luggage!!

4) look confident

5) Pretty much all comes down to the POE officer, so be polite!!!

6) And have a back up plan in case u get do get denied entry!! Its not a big deal if u do, as long as u were honest!!

I travelled monthly to DC and never had aproblem, but other s have been denied!! Best of luck!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I did it and it wasn't a problem entering or leaving. That was even weeks before I did get my visa.

Just get in line as usual and don't even mention your filing case. They asked, whom I was visiting and I did say it was my fiance back then, the officer was friendly and didn't cause me any trouble. You might want bring some evidence of returning, like proof of returning to your job or/and ownership/rent house, just in case, but I didn't need it.

So enjoy your easter with your husband. :dance:

o5cni131ii.png

Lifting Conditions

CIS Office : California Service Center

Date Filed : 2009-05-04

NOA Date : 2009-05-21

Online USCIS website: 06-03-2009 ( so am I a May or June filer now.)

Bio. Appt. : 2009-07-24 (walk-in on 07/14/09 and accepted)

*Touch*: 07-15-2009

Card ordered: 2009-08-26

Letter received approved: dated 08-22-2009 :o

*touch* : 2009-08-31

Green card recvd: 2009-09-01

April 2010: Eligible to file for US citizenship

My handmade Jewelry

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone! :)

I'm new to all of this. I'm a Canadian citizen and have been married to an American citizen for over a year. We haven't applied for my visa as yet as we're just trying to do research first to figure out how we go about filing everything while I'm in Canada.

I'm just curious/confused...Is everyone saying that they have been travelling back and forth while waiting for their K-3 visa's to go through? I was under the impression that you couldn't leave the country until the K-3 visa was approved. Am I mistaken? (I'm sorry maybe it's something else you're talking about, and I'm coming up with my own ideas. Like I said though I'm new to all of this, so please be patient with me.) :)

**I too would like to go visit my husband for the long weekend and I'm wondering if any of you know what happens if you're denied entry even before you start applying for the visa? Does that ruin your chances of having it approved? How does it affect your application?

Thanks in advance everyone for you patience and advice!

Canadian_Butterfly :)

By the way, I agree with having as much information to prove that you're coming back and that you're only going for a visit. Good luck with getting across and enjoy your time with your husband! :)

Timeline

I'm new to all of this. I'm a Canadian citizen and have been married to an American citizen for over a year. We haven't applied for my visa as yet as we're just trying to do research first to figure out how we go about filing everything while I'm in Canada.

I'm just curious/confused...Is everyone saying that they have been travelling back and forth while waiting for their K-3 visa's to go through? I was under the impression that you couldn't leave the country until the K-3 visa was approved. Am I mistaken? (I'm sorry maybe it's something else you're talking about, and I'm coming up with my own ideas. Like I said though I'm new to all of this, so please be patient with me.) :)

**I too would like to go visit my husband for the long weekend and I'm wondering if any of you know what happens if you're denied entry even before you start applying for the visa? Does that ruin your chances of having it approved? How does it affect your application?

By the way, I agree with having as much information to prove that you're coming back and that you're only going for a visit. Good luck with getting across and enjoy your time with your husband! :)

From what opther VJ'ers wrote, being denied did not affect their visa. They were asked at the interview, they stated yes, and the interviewer stated it does happen. As long as ur honest all should be ok!! Many people travel to see thier other half while the K1, cr-1, Ir-1 visas are in process, there is a lot of misinformation out there. You can go see them, but at the same time you may be denied, all comes down to the POE officer, you can have a ton of evidence proving ties to Canada, and he may not belive it,and he doesnt have to. Saying that I never had a problem, and would do it again if I had to. Peopkle have been denied, but truthly who knows why, maybe they were not polite, tons of luggage, said something wrong, or the POE officer was having a bad day!! Best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been denied twice. They felt I didn't have enough ties to Canada.

Come Interview time, I am not worried about it. I was honest at the Border and I will be honest at the Interview.

It does still make me a little mad. As a tourist I never had a problem travelling- now that I am married and going through the Legal process of Immigration, I get denied entry. Sigh.

Timeline

I have been denied twice. They felt I didn't have enough ties to Canada.

Come Interview time, I am not worried about it. I was honest at the Border and I will be honest at the Interview.

It does still make me a little mad. As a tourist I never had a problem travelling- now that I am married and going through the Legal process of Immigration, I get denied entry. Sigh.

You were denied twice? That's terrible! What didn't you have to convince them that you might not return?

I did get a letter from my employer today, we have round tickets, I'll bring my most current mortgage statement from the bank ... *sigh* ...

My fear is ... I'll get nervous ... like I'm doing something wrong!

My husband has dual citizenship with Canada and the US. He was born in the US but has lived in Canada for 30 years. We've been married for quite awhile. We have a 15 year old son.

I-130

I-129F for K3

May 15, 2007 - Approved!

AOS & EAD

I guess I really must be getting the wrong informtion from the lawyers I've been speaking to and even the immigration officers at the border...Because I was really under the impression that if you're denied entry into the U.S. that it doesn't help your application for the visa, as well you can't keep entering the U.S. (I don't know what you would have to do to get back, but that's what they were telling me.) Also the lawyers told me I can't travel-go to the U.S. or even leave Canada for at least 6 months, until I get that K-3 visa. They told me once that's approved then I could go back and forth but until then don't leave or that cancels the petition. AAAAAAAHHH I don't know what's right now! :(

Neen_in_Ottawa did you already get this K-3 visa and just waiting on something else now? I'm so confused about everything. This stress is going to kill me...

Thanks for your help everyone! :)

**Just a note...I got stopped the night of our 1 yr wedding anniversary Feb 4th going across the border with my husband and they did eventually let me go but the guy said that he'd flag me and if I didn't put through my papers while I was visiting my husband in the U.S. then I would be denied entry the next time I tried to enter. That's why I too am worried about crossing the border this weekend. I don't know if the immigration officer was just trying to scare me or if I'm really flagged in the system. **

Neen_in_Ottawa... I get nervous too EVERY time I get near the border or even going to fly over. I feel so sick to my stomach! They make you feel like you did/are doing something wrong when you're not! It's horrible that we have to feel that way, when we just want to see our husbands! It's hard enough being away from them! :(

All the best with getting through at the airport, I'm sure you'll be fine since you'll have all that info. and you have a return flight. For me on the other hand, it could be harder.

Please let us know after your visit if everything went alright! :) Good Luck!

Timeline

You poor lil thing Canadian Butterfly ... don't stress .... there are bigger problems in the world! This forum has better information, real life examples .. better than a lawyer can offer! You'll get through it! Stay strong!

I don't have a K3 ... have filed but haven't been approved yet!

I like living on the edge ... I'm going for it!

I-130

I-129F for K3

May 15, 2007 - Approved!

AOS & EAD

You poor lil thing Canadian Butterfly ... don't stress .... there are bigger problems in the world! This forum has better information, real life examples .. better than a lawyer can offer! You'll get through it! Stay strong!

I don't have a K3 ... have filed but haven't been approved yet!

I like living on the edge ... I'm going for it!

Good response Neen_in_Ottawa!! I love it! You live on the edge... and you go for it!! LOL ;)

I think I'm going to go for it this weekend too! I won't let the chance of being denied ruin my weekend and chances of being with my husband.

I think this site will help me figure out what's actually right and what is just WRONG!

By the way Neen_in_Ottawa are you going through a lawyer or doing it yourself with the help of this site?

Timeline

I travelled often to see my husband without problems; and was asked basic questions and answered straight forward and short answers!!

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.