Jadon_Germany

N-400 January 2017 Filers

2,122 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
3 hours ago, topazfae said:

Requesting for interpreters this time is a hassle - the officer on the phone did NOT know how to request and had to put me on hold while she inquired others how to do it. Then, she said that it has to be 30 days in advance.  Last time, it was no problem when I requested for an interpreter for the interview with 17 days in advance.  I explained, they mailed the letter 5 business days before the original Oath Ceremony on the 24th, then 9 days before the new Oath ceremony on August 12th. How can I make a request 30 days in advance and they KNEW that I would need interpreters.  I mentioned during my interview, I mentioned again when I went for my InfoPass appointment on July 14th.  This is very frustrating!  But at least, I got the confirmation number.  Plus on the oath ceremony letter, it says - Make a request at least 10 days in advance. How would I do that if I kept getting the letters right before the ceremony?  On my application, it was marked very clear that I am deaf.

Just hope that there is someone there otherwise, I will end up standing, bored out of my mind.  It's a very important milestone and I would like to be part of it, not left out of it. Very frustrating.

Shannon

Are you allowed to bring your own interpreter?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Question: from prople who cleared interview, is there anyone for him/ her it took long for status to change inline for interview? I am assuming it rakes a week, for anyone it took over 2 weeks to change status online, or anyone whose status never changed and they got oath letter directly?

Timeline
17 minutes ago, weakheart said:

Question: from prople who cleared interview, is there anyone for him/ her it took long for status to change inline for interview? I am assuming it rakes a week, for anyone it took over 2 weeks to change status online, or anyone whose status never changed and they got oath letter directly?

It took me almost a month for my status to change to in line for interview. You have to wait for your 5 month anniversary is completed before status changes to in line for interview. My mom's status went directly to oath has been scheduled and she was never in line for oath

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
5 minutes ago, feroze895 said:

It took me almost a month for my status to change to in line for interview. You have to wait for your 5 month anniversary is completed before status changes to in line for interview. My mom's status went directly to oath has been scheduled and she was never in line for oath

Ok that takes a little pressure off , and what you by 5th month anniversary, 5 months since priority date?

33 minutes ago, weakheart said:

My status changed 2 days after the interview for inline for oath scheduling. 9 days after that the oath was scheduled.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, feroze895 said:

Are you allowed to bring your own interpreter?

I can bring my own interpreter - but it's a bit hard to find someone who is willing to come at the high school early on a Saturday.  And it is a long ceremony - I know there is no shortage in DC area anyway - there are tons of interpreters available - especially on a Saturday morning.

I think I will be fine :) . At least the end is near!  I am looking forward to it so much.  Finally.  I could have gotten my citizenship in 2012, but I kept postponing it until the expiration year of my card :).  I got my green card based on work even though I was married to a USC - I applied for it like 8 months before I got married, my lawyer at that time suggested me to apply via marriage because, at that time, there was a severe backlog of I-485 based on work.  It took 3 years before I finally got my green card - I applied in Jan/Feb 2004, got married in September 2004, finally received the green card in June 2007 (after transferring from Vermont Office to Dallas Office  - within 3 months of transfer, I got the card).  I could have gone through marriage but I would have to pay fees again and I opted not to and I was not in rush anyway so I waited.

Shannon

Timeline
33 minutes ago, topazfae said:

I can bring my own interpreter - but it's a bit hard to find someone who is willing to come at the high school early on a Saturday.  And it is a long ceremony - I know there is no shortage in DC area anyway - there are tons of interpreters available - especially on a Saturday morning.

I think I will be fine :) . At least the end is near!  I am looking forward to it so much.  Finally.  I could have gotten my citizenship in 2012, but I kept postponing it until the expiration year of my card :).  I got my green card based on work even though I was married to a USC - I applied for it like 8 months before I got married, my lawyer at that time suggested me to apply via marriage because, at that time, there was a severe backlog of I-485 based on work.  It took 3 years before I finally got my green card - I applied in Jan/Feb 2004, got married in September 2004, finally received the green card in June 2007 (after transferring from Vermont Office to Dallas Office  - within 3 months of transfer, I got the card).  I could have gone through marriage but I would have to pay fees again and I opted not to and I was not in rush anyway so I waited.

Shannon

It's two hour long ceremony. It takes 1.5 hours for check in and about 30 minutes for oath and getting your certificate. You don't go on stage to get your certificate. Instead, you just go in a hall and collect your certificate. 

Timeline

Thanks.  Since it's at 8 30 am - it's going to be an early morning for all of us since I have children - just have to figure how to arrange a babysitter or just take them with us.

Shannon

3 hours ago, feroze895 said:

It's two hour long ceremony. It takes 1.5 hours for check in and about 30 minutes for oath and getting your certificate. You don't go on stage to get your certificate. Instead, you just go in a hall and collect your certificate. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, topazfae said:

Thanks.  Since it's at 8 30 am - it's going to be an early morning for all of us since I have children - just have to figure how to arrange a babysitter or just take them with us.

Shannon

Take them with you if they dont cry a lot

Timeline

Thanks - they are 12 and 7.  Of course, they don't cry :)  The 12 years old wanted to go because he wants to see what it is like.  I'm more concerned about the 7 years old one.  She would complain if it is too long.  I will have a talk with her and see if she wants to participate and if she does, she can't complain, otherwise, a babysitter needs to be hired or arrange a sleepover at her friend's house.

Shannon

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Good afternoon to all.  Just want to share my experience today at my interview in Atlanta.  We got there at 8:30 for a 9 am appointment.  I was called at 9:20 and my interview lasted for about 15 minutes. The officer was really nice and did everything really fast.  

He asked me the following questions:

1. We elect U.S. Representative for how many years?

2. The House of Representatives has how many voting members?

3. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?

4. Who was the first President?

5. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900's?

6. In what month do we vote for President?

He asked me to read:   "Who was George Washington?"

He asked me to write:   "George Washington was the first President."

He then verified all my personal information asking me if what they have was correct.  Then asked me a few questions from the NO section, and ALL the questions from the YES section.  Finally, I signed a couple of things and he gave me a document that I was recommend for approval and advise to wait two weeks for the Oath Ceremony letter.

It was a good experience, at first, I was very nervous, but he was actually very helpful.  

Good luck to all, I hope we all finish this process soon :)   

Edited by Luis & Carol

Timeline

Paint me red as well!

Had my interview today. Oath ended up same day.

Appointment time: 9:30 am

Got there at: 9:00

Interviewed: 11:00

Interview was quick. Less than 5mins. Quick 6 questions on history, read and write test, and walk through the application. Then I was told to wait.

After about 40 mins, I was given the approval letter and oath letter. 

I waited almost 5 hours to be called to verify certificate. Upon enquiry after all that wait, they found out that the A number on oath letter had a typo so NY file fell through the crack. At last they found it and got the oath dome at 4:30 pm.

It was long day. But I am all set.

Good luck to all!

Timeline

I didn't mention my interview experience - 

But here it is - 

The questions that I was asked - 

1) What group of people was taken to America and sold as slaves (I said African-Americans but I corrected myself - Africans)

2) What is the highest court in the United States? (the Superme Court)

3) How many amendments does Consitution have? (27)

4) Who is the current Vice President? (Pence - the officer said Mike Pence but accepted my answer)

5) Who makes federal laws? (Congress)

6) Why did the colonists fight the British? (Incorrect - the officer also was not sure - Independence from British - but later realized it was because of high taxation but she had to ask me 7th question).

7) What territory did the United States buy from France in 1803 (Louisiana) 

English

Read: Who can vote?

Write: Citizens can vote.

On the interview day - there were about 75-100 people in the waiting room.  My appointment was 2:25 but was not called until maybe 4 pm.  Finished at 4:30.  I made a mistake by including my maiden in my middle name - the officer explained it's not allowed - either it has to be in my surname or go in to have my name changed. I told them, I don't want it to be in my name anyway. I am fine with just my first name, middle name, and married name.

Some information is updated on my application.  Then I'm done :) . But I had to bring my photos on the following Friday.  I just alerted my co worker who is in the process of applying for citizenship. I know Balitmore don't need them but I told him it's best to just have two just in case.  If they don't need it, he can use them for the passport.

Shannon

Timeline
20 hours ago, Luis & Carol said:

He asked me the following questions:

1. We elect U.S. Representative for how many years?

2. The House of Representatives has how many voting members?

3. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?

4. Who was the first President?

5. Name one war fought by the United States in the 1900's?

6. In what month do we vote for President?

He asked me to read:   "Who was George Washington?"

He asked me to write:   "George Washington was the first President."

I was asked exact same questions! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.