Jadon_Germany

N-400 January 2017 Filers

2,122 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

So I had my interview on May 9, 2017. On the night of May 7th, I had my wallet stolen from me in Miami, FL. The wallet had my Green Card and license among other credit cards. I needed my license to get back to Raleigh through TSA and most importantly needed my GC for the upcoming citizenship interview, so needless to say I was panicking. After calming down and doing some internet research, the answers to all my questions was a Police Report. I immediately went to the Miami Beach Police Department and filed a report and got a copy for it.

My return flight from Miami to Raleigh was on the morning of the 9th (interview was scheduled for 2pm)... TSA took their sweet time patting me down thoroughly and going through all my belongings and talking to the state department for a on-the-spot background check since I had no identification on me. Thankfully, everything went smoothly and I was compliant with all requests. No complaints with TSA, they were just doing their job.

At the field office, I walked in and explained security and the front desk receptionist my situation about my wallet being lost and therefore having no green card. My passport, however served as my identification throughout this process at the field office (this passport was not with me while I was in Miami, or the TSA process would've gone way easier). The receptionist made sure I had a police report with me then let me go upstairs to wait.

Interview time... first question was, let me see you GC. lol. Then I explained my story and showed the IO the police report. He went through it until he saw that a Permanent Resident (Green) card was listed as among the items lost in the report. He proceeded to print a "Record of Sworn Statement (Missing PRC)" form which he made me sign. It basically said that "My PRC was lost/stolen" and I have NOT filed for a replacement (this fee is $550 and I was scared that I would have to file for one... my argument against doing that, had it been brought up, would be that you have to surrender the GC at the oath anyways, so this was unnecessary and useless for me to do).

After the GC situation was established, the actual interview began.... He went through my form and then proceeded with the questions:

1. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now? --Paul Ryan

2. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted? --July 4, 1776

3. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? --Speaker of the House

4. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States. --Mississippi River

5. Who vetoes bills? --President

6. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? --Bill of Rights

I think the sentence I had to write was "Lincoln was the president during the civil war" or something along those lines. I forgot what sentence I had to speak, but it was pretty basic and something related to American history.

Then he approved my application and I waited about 15 more minutes for my Oath date/time to be given to me and I was out of there. Whole process took about 30 minutes I believe.

Most important thing to take from this: KEEP YOUR GREEN CARD SAFE and if you lose it GET A POLICE REPORT ASAP.

Sorry for the essay guys, but hopefully this provides everyone else some entertainment and useful information for the future!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Waiting234 said:

I can be removed from this list because I had to resend the appropriate amount of money and now I'm considered a February filer.  Good luck everybody!

Technically, You will always be January filers. Good Luck though

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
30 minutes ago, l3thalbloo said:

So I had my interview on May 9, 2017. On the night of May 7th, I had my wallet stolen from me in Miami, FL. The wallet had my Green Card and license among other credit cards. I needed my license to get back to Raleigh through TSA and most importantly needed my GC for the upcoming citizenship interview, so needless to say I was panicking. After calming down and doing some internet research, the answers to all my questions was a Police Report. I immediately went to the Miami Beach Police Department and filed a report and got a copy for it.

My return flight from Miami to Raleigh was on the morning of the 9th (interview was scheduled for 2pm)... TSA took their sweet time patting me down thoroughly and going through all my belongings and talking to the state department for a on-the-spot background check since I had no identification on me. Thankfully, everything went smoothly and I was compliant with all requests. No complaints with TSA, they were just doing their job.

At the field office, I walked in and explained security and the front desk receptionist my situation about my wallet being lost and therefore having no green card. My passport, however served as my identification throughout this process at the field office (this passport was not with me while I was in Miami, or the TSA process would've gone way easier). The receptionist made sure I had a police report with me then let me go upstairs to wait.

Interview time... first question was, let me see you GC. lol. Then I explained my story and showed the IO the police report. He went through it until he saw that a Permanent Resident (Green) card was listed as among the items lost in the report. He proceeded to print a "Record of Sworn Statement (Missing PRC)" form which he made me sign. It basically said that "My PRC was lost/stolen" and I have NOT filed for a replacement (this fee is $550 and I was scared that I would have to file for one... my argument against doing that, had it been brought up, would be that you have to surrender the GC at the oath anyways, so this was unnecessary and useless for me to do).

After the GC situation was established, the actual interview began.... He went through my form and then proceeded with the questions:

1. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now? --Paul Ryan

3. If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President? --Speaker of the House

6. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution? --Bill of Rights

I think the sentence I had to write was "Lincoln was the president during the civil war" or something along those lines. I forgot what sentence I had to speak, but it was pretty basic and something related to American history.

Then he approved my application and I waited about 15 more minutes for my Oath date/time to be given to me and I was out of there. Whole process took about 30 minutes I believe.

Most important thing to take from this: KEEP YOUR GREEN CARD SAFE and if you lose it GET A POLICE REPORT ASAP.

Sorry for the essay guys, but hopefully this provides everyone else some entertainment and useful information for the future!!!

Very interesting and thrilling. But I am happy that all ended well.  Thanks for the updates

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline
3 hours ago, l3thalbloo said:

I guess the question here is will you need to have a GC for the oath ceremony, or can you go through the next month without it?  I can imagine the question coming up then...  If you had it stolen immediately prior to the oath, it would be pretty clear, but with some time between the loss and your oath - I have to wonder...

Congrats nevertheless!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
5 minutes ago, jkstark said:

I guess the question here is will you need to have a GC for the oath ceremony, or can you go through the next month without it?  I can imagine the question coming up then...  If you had it stolen immediately prior to the oath, it would be pretty clear, but with some time between the loss and your oath - I have to wonder...

Congrats nevertheless!

Good question and something I should've mentioned in that post... Yeah i'll be fine with that "Record of Sworn Statement". The IO said to make sure I bring that with me to the Oath ceremony.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Ok i am getting worried now😟

I was of the view that the people who are getting interviews done are possibly some special people or something along that line in eyes of uscis as most people are still waiting so normal time inline wait is longer, 

Now i am thinking only few people talk here and it is possible that many have their interview letters in hand but they either dont visit here or didnt update.

which makes me think maybe the ones that are left are some special people and that we will not be treated with normal group,

because i dont think uscis just picks any application by saying umm umm this one for today, if we are not getting interview letter maybe we are stuck in background check or something? What you guys think😞...Is anyone sure that to be inline you must clear background checks?

maybe we should check out who is still waiting for interview letter by having them speak up one time that they are still waiting for interview letter?

6 hours ago, l3thalbloo said:

congrats!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
53 minutes ago, weakheart said:

Ok i am getting worried now😟

I was of the view that the people who are getting interviews done are possibly some special people or something along that line in eyes of uscis as most people are still waiting so normal time inline wait is longer, 

Now i am thinking only few people talk here and it is possible that many have their interview letters in hand but they either dont visit here or didnt update.

which makes me think maybe the ones that are left are some special people and that we will not be treated with normal group,

because i dont think uscis just picks any application by saying umm umm this one for today, if we are not getting interview letter maybe we are stuck in background check or something? What you guys think😞...Is anyone sure that to be inline you must clear background checks?

maybe we should check out who is still waiting for interview letter by having them speak up one time that they are still waiting for interview letter?

I am still waiting for my interview letter.  You're already in line, which mean you already cleared the background. They are just waiting for an interview slot to open up and your priority date to become current, than they will call you for an interview.  So, the Population of OK City Metropolitan Area is 1.4 million. Population of DC metro is about 6-7 million. In short DC has more immigration officers handling N400 than OK City. I have heard of few cases where a person is put in line before clearing the background check. But in your case, its just a long line. Just know there is nothing to worry about...........................YET!!!

On 5/9/2017 at 10:50 AM, chica3 said:

If you're referring to the SF filer in the October 2016 thread, she updated in late March that her interview was scheduled (but had not received the letter yet). I still hope that things are proceeding roughly according to priority dates (with the exception of early IOE and recent online filers).

I hope you're right.

Filed: Other Country: Turkey
Timeline

I do not think the security check/clearance ever ends until you are scheduled for your oath ceremony.
Biometrics data is taken to do a basic search on the crimes database for your name and fingerprints. It could be just an initial step.
I do not think you are just standing in line waiting for an interview to be scheduled after that. I think after that they will have their internal review of your application and will probably collect all the necessary information and then analyze it. Somewhere in this process, depending on how complex your case is (international travels, divorces, marriages, convictions, tickets, etc.) you will be kept "in line". For example, if you are divorced male, maybe they will reach out to other government agencies to confirm that you are paying your child support on time. This is a simple step, but it may take several days to prepare and mail the request, several days to get to the other agency, several days for them to process that request.....do you see my point?
That is the only rational scenario I can imagine where one applicant placed "in line" in March can get an interview scheduled whereas another applicant can be kept "in line" for several months with no progress in sight.

Relax, this is not a race.

22 hours ago, Waiting234 said:

I can be removed from this list because I had to resend the appropriate amount of money and now I'm considered a February filer.  Good luck everybody!

Good luck to you likewise! 

Timeline

From couple of days i am getting increasingly worried, case is still inline:huh:

anyone who is not worried has something to say ? I mean it is now looking from normal to abnormal which is freaking me out

Edited by weakheart

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

Today,  yes , yes , My case is still inline,

2 months and 1/2 waiting for my status to change, at this point the local office is busy??

Edited by elisar

Timeline
14 minutes ago, elisar said:

Today,  yes , yes , My case is still inline,

2 months and 1/2 waiting for my status to change, at this point the local office is busy??

This is great news and definitely a positive sign for us who are waiting, congratulations 🎊 

Edited by weakheart

Timeline
1 minute ago, weakheart said:

This is great news and definitely a positive sign for us who are waiting, congratulations 🎊 

Lol sorry the way you worded it I thought u got interview letter

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.