thkcmp

Need to learn english and arabic

145 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yikes... I would imagine you would have a hard time if you don't share a common language...

I guess personally I can't imagine even thinking about marrying someone I can't speak to clearly using a common language. I just don't get it.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I know we have some time but I'm very concerned about the interview. Tarek feels he will be more comfortable doing the interview in arabic but I know we would have to prove that we are able to communicate with each other. Right now I don't feel confident that we can do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially if you've been in the same situation.

Thanks everyone. This website has already been a great help!!

Connie

Connie,

i know you are asking for help in learning each others language, but i want to caution you it is indeed a 'red flag' for the CO to return your petition to USCIS for revocation due to the validity of your relationship. the Co will certainly question his usage of English. read the section on denied petitions to get informed to protect yourself against this happening to you.

chi

098bdb652297eb8af8222ef77903ebf5.gif

.png

Married in 04

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

chiqa.jpg

Timeline
Yikes... I would imagine you would have a hard time if you don't share a common language...

I guess personally I can't imagine even thinking about marrying someone I can't speak to clearly using a common language. I just don't get it.

if we are thinking that, well what will the CO be thinking?

Connie you need to be concerned about this issue. or you will be joining the group of us who were denied a visa "due to the validity of the relationship". you dont want this, no way, been there and it is not nice or easy or good or pretty or cheap.

chi

.png

Married in 04

"Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect. It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

chiqa.jpg

I keep thinking of the things that need to be discussed before any marriage much less abi-national one- money, children, religion, family, lifestyles, etc. Love just isn't enough when some of these conflicts arise after the marriage IMHO

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Timeline

Wait, did you meet online? How long ago? How on earth were you able to get to know eachother?

Chiquita has a very good point- this is a red flag that can lead to the questioning the validity of your relationship which could in turn lead to big problems.

Timeline

I keep thinking of the things that need to be discussed before any marriage much less abi-national one- money, children, religion, family, lifestyles, etc. Love just isn't enough when some of these conflicts arise after the marriage IMHO

oh yes, so true.

Connie do you know about 'red flags'? what if the CO asks him about these issues? have you both discussed all of these subjects in detail so he is comfortable giving answers for the interview?

chi

.png

Married in 04

chiqa.jpg

Timeline

Right... that's just a phew of the things that I think should be discussed before marrying. This is mind boggling.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Well, I do "get it". I am madly in love with Omer from Turkey, and we have spoken every night on the phone since August. His English is terrible, but it is good enough for us to connect to each other and our feelings. I'm currently enrolled in two Turkish language classes, but my progress is at a snails pace...

That being said, yes, when we were together over the winter break, we often did charades with enormous laghter. We hardly ever needed the dictionary. But, we are just plain in love, and figure it all out.

The interview will be a challenge, but more importantly, coming to the states will be pure culture shock.

You shouldn't put down people because of language barriers. Just a thought.

K-1

July 27 2006 Met/Fell in love on a sailing trip in Turkey

March 2 2007 Mailed I-129F Overnight Express

March 15 2007 NOA2 e-mail

March 21 2007 spoke with NVC- case mailed today (via DHL) to Ankara

March 28 2007 Packet 3 sent...(to me?) waiting

NEVER RECEIVED Packet 3- downloaded from Ankara website

May 14, 2007 Packet 3 sent to Ankara Embassy

June 13 2007 interview

May 21 appeal approved- interview rescheduled for 5 July 2007

5 July 2007 interview!

July 10- Visa in hand!!!

September 26 2007- Omer arrives JFK POE

November 23 2007- Married!

AOS

February 23 2008 Finally sent AOS to Chicago

March 4 2008 NOA1 for all 3 AOS documents (rcvd from Missouri Center?)

March 26 Biometrics

March 28 EAD touch

March 29 RFE- Birth Cert. translation :(

April 8- RFE received; case resumed processing (at National Benefits Center)

April 11- Case transferred to California Service Center

April 29 - EAD and AP approved... finally honeymoon in Mexico!

May 29- AOS approved e-mail received!!!!!!

June 7- Greencard arrived in mail!

Timeline
Well, I do "get it". I am madly in love with Omer from Turkey, and we have spoken every night on the phone since August. His English is terrible, but it is good enough for us to connect to each other and our feelings. I'm currently enrolled in two Turkish language classes, but my progress is at a snails pace...

That being said, yes, when we were together over the winter break, we often did charades with enormous laghter. We hardly ever needed the dictionary. But, we are just plain in love, and figure it all out.

The interview will be a challenge, but more importantly, coming to the states will be pure culture shock.

You shouldn't put down people because of language barriers. Just a thought.

No one is putting her down... we're helping her realize she is going to have a hard time at the interview if they don't share a common language.

That's great that you "get it". I guess for some people they don't need to talk about the things that MyBackPages listed above seriously before commiting to marriage.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Welcome to MENA!

:pop:

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

I use to wonder why everyone took comments made about relationships with age gaps or language barriers or something else unique so personally. Now I wonder if it's because women in these relationships have to hear these doubts from family members, friends, strangers, media etc and when they hear it hear, it is a safe place to respond.

The truth is some women on this board (not just MENA) will be used for a greencard. More will enter a marriage that is legitimate, but it will fail due to the complications of a bi-national, bi-cultural relationship. None of us want to think it is going to be us.

Maybe since the OP started this thread as a way to find info about language resources, a better place to carry on this discussion is in this thread which adresses the reality of failed and successful marriages and what it takes to go into one of these.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=61866

If anyone is really interested in talking about this

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

I think the originally OP was scared away. I understand everyone's concern, but isn't there a way to say it without overwhelming. It's great that someone mentioned it sure, but then its been said so........

My ex spoke english rather well and it still didn't work out for us for different/many reasons. You never know. Some people are stressed because their case may be in limbo and others are probably still adjusting. Never know each person's situation. We only know what we "type" here.

In the hopes of not offending anyone, please let's stay positive.

To the OP def take what the others have said into consideration and the good news is you can mention it before the consulate says anything to you. Stress that you both speak both languages, maybe even write your letter of intent for his interview in arabic if you can, that's a good idea i think - Chiquita what do you think about that - good idea?

Anyhoo good luck.

peace,

prena

1st K-1 Journey:

June 2005 - filed

October 2005 - visa interview

March 2006 - AOS packet mailed

DIVORCED

June 2007 - Interview

2008 - 10 year approval

--------

2nd K-1 Journey:

07/28/07 - AOS paperwork mailed

07/30/07 - Received at lockbox

09/18/07 - Biometrics

10/15/07 - Transferred to CSC

01/09/08 - AOS approved w/o interivew

11/01/09 - Lift conditions

11/01/10 - interview to lift conditions/10-yr card

01/01/10 - 10 year approval

DIVORCED

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

I think shes new, she ask a decent question about language because it is something they want to overcome. She wasnt asking for someone unfimilar with her life if they "got it". There are many maybes but not up to us to judge .....hopefully she got some answers and can find some help with the language teachings. Good luck :thumbs:

TIMELINE

04/04/2007 K1 Interview from H...w/the devil herself

06/12/2007 Rec'd Notification Case Now Back In Calif. only to expire

-------------

11/20/2007 Married in Morocco

02/23/2008 Mailed CR1 application today

03/08/2008 NOA1 Notice Recd (notice date 3/4/08)

08/26/2008 File transfered fr Vermont to Calif

10/14/2008 APPROVALLLLLLLLLLLL

10/20/2008 Recd hard copy NOA2

10/20/2008 NVC Recd case

11/21/2008 CASE COMPLETE

01/15/2009 INTERVIEW

01/16/2009 VISA IN HAND

01/31/2009 ARRIVED OKC

BE WHO YOU ARE AND SAY WHAT YOU FEEL, BECAUSE THOSE WHO MIND DONT MATTER AND THOSE WHO MATTER DONT MIND

YOU CANT CHANGE THE PAST BUT YOU CAN RUIN THE PRESENT BY WORRYING OVER THE FUTURE

TRIP.... OVER LOVE, AND YOU CAN GET UP

FALL.... IN LOVE, AND YOU FALL FOREVER

I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, JUST NOT THE ABILITY

LIKE THE MEASLES, LOVE IS MOST DANGEROUS WHEN IT COMES LATER IN LIFE

LIFE IS NOT THE WAY ITS SUPPOSED TO BE, ITS THE WAY IT IS

I MAY NOT BE WHERE I WANT TO BE BUT IM SURE NOT WHERE I WAS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I just found and joined VJ a couple of weeks ago. I am in the process of gathering all the information and filling out the forms to petition for a k-1 visa for my fiance, Tarek, in Morocco. We have a problem I'm hoping someone here might be able to help us with.

I went to Morocco to meet Tarek in person in February. He knows a little english and i know a little arabic. Between the combination and some charades we did much better than I thought but there were still times that we needed someone to translate for us.

I have purchased several audios and software that teaches arabic but haven't been able to find the moroccan dialect so a lot of what i'm learning from this software turns out to be incorrect. Does anyone know of something out there that teaches the correct dialect?

Also, I've searched for something to help Tarek to learn more english but he doesn't read very much english alphabet so he would need something that is also in arabic writing. Can anyone help me there?

I know we have some time but I'm very concerned about the interview. Tarek feels he will be more comfortable doing the interview in arabic but I know we would have to prove that we are able to communicate with each other. Right now I don't feel confident that we can do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated especially if you've been in the same situation.

Thanks everyone. This website has already been a great help!!

Connie

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and replies to my post. Do I know about the "red flags"? Yes. Do I know that this is a really serious problem? Yes. Do I think that Tarek will be denied a visa because of it? Yes Do I already know all the things that everyone has said in reply? Yes

That is why I am asking for information on software, tapes, audios, books, etc. for an American to learn Moroccan Arabic and for a Moroccan to learn English. As I said, I haven't filed yet so we have time to correct this situation.

As for the charades....I should have put that in different words. I do know one other language besides English and some Arabic......sign language. It is alot like playing charages when talking to the deaf and a lot of the signs are obvisous and it works beautifully though I know that Tarek knowing some sign language is not going to help the problem at hand.

I have been checking into the sites of those who replied about learning Arabic and English. I have been given some good sources. Thanks to all of you who answered the question being asked.

Connie

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline
How did you decide you could marry someone that you still have to do charades with?

C'mon lets not pick fights or start problems that take away from the good nature on VJ. Maybe I am wrong but lets all be a little more sensitive :). Thanks!

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.