snowcat

Advice on when to schedule my K1 interview?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all, having some trouble deciding here and thought I'd ask the community for advice.

I was supposed to have my interview this November 28, 2016 but because of delays involving my passport, the earliest I can have my appointment will be on December 1, 2016. However, I have an upcoming trip to Japan with my family from December 26 - January 3... I was wondering if my passport will be ready in time for my Japan trip, considering the holidays + needing to get my CFO sticker prior to departure (though I will be having my CFO seminar and certificate in advance - would just need to go and have the sticker placed on my passport, if ever).

Question is, do you think I should go ahead and have my interview on December 1st? Or should I just postpone my interview to January 4 onwards (after the trip to Japan)? If I postpone, would these financial documents from my fiance suffice:

1) Letter from Employer - dated September 28, 2016

2) W-2 - dated end of the year 2015

3) Form 1040 - dated end of the year 2015

4) Pay Stubs - he can just give me most recent ones so no problem here

Or do we need to ask my fiance's employer to produce yet another letter (dated closer to my interview) and would a more recent W-2 and Form 1040 be available by that time (I was under the impression that tax stuff happens in April tho)?

I would really rather just have my interview on December 1st to get it over and done with, but just worried of the possibility of my passport not being ready by December 23 (since 24 and 25 are holidays?) and me not having enough time to get my sticker from CFO...

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Edited by snowcat

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Schedule your interview for after your planned vacation

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

It really depends on how fast Manila is processing the vias's and if they don't ask you for more documentation(which would ultimately delay things further).

Just cause it's a K-1, Manila is always busy during December cause of the holidays it seems even more than usual.

To me I would say might be best to wait and schedule for January just so it does not affect your trip.

You could also do the interview, and retrieve the passport from the embassy before your trip if they haven't completed it; but again this could cause further delays.

As to the paperwork given from your fiance, I might try to get an updated employment letter. Generally keeping it dated within about 30 days of the interview.

The W-2 and 1040 forms are fine as is.

And yes, just keep getting the most recent pay stubs. (Having these more recent pay stubs, may counter the need for the updated employer letter since it should say the same company and all on them)

Really main choice is do you wait til January to make sure you have no issues with the trip or take the chance.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi all, having some trouble deciding here and thought I'd ask the community for advice.

I was supposed to have my interview this November 28, 2016 but because of delays involving my passport, the earliest I can have my appointment will be on December 1, 2016. However, I have an upcoming trip to Japan with my family from December 26 - January 3... I was wondering if my passport will be ready in time for my Japan trip, considering the holidays + needing to get my CFO sticker prior to departure (though I will be having my CFO seminar and certificate in advance - would just need to go and have the sticker placed on my passport, if ever).

Question is, do you think I should go ahead and have my interview on December 1st? Or should I just postpone my interview to January 4 onwards (after the trip to Japan)? If I postpone, would these financial documents from my fiance suffice:

1) Letter from Employer - dated September 28, 2016

2) W-2 - dated end of the year 2015

3) Form 1040 - dated end of the year 2015

4) Pay Stubs - he can just give me most recent ones so no problem here

Or do we need to ask my fiance's employer to produce yet another letter (dated closer to my interview) and would a more recent W-2 and Form 1040 be available by that time (I was under the impression that tax stuff happens in April tho)?

I would really rather just have my interview on December 1st to get it over and done with, but just worried of the possibility of my passport not being ready by December 23 (since 24 and 25 are holidays?) and me not having enough time to get my sticker from CFO...

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Do you have your new passport from DFA? I would not schedule another interview until you have your new passport. You are only allowed to cancel/reschedule your interview twice without penalty.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Timeline

It really depends on how fast Manila is processing the vias's and if they don't ask you for more documentation(which would ultimately delay things further).

Just cause it's a K-1, Manila is always busy during December cause of the holidays it seems even more than usual.

To me I would say might be best to wait and schedule for January just so it does not affect your trip.

You could also do the interview, and retrieve the passport from the embassy before your trip if they haven't completed it; but again this could cause further delays.

As to the paperwork given from your fiance, I might try to get an updated employment letter. Generally keeping it dated within about 30 days of the interview.

The W-2 and 1040 forms are fine as is.

And yes, just keep getting the most recent pay stubs. (Having these more recent pay stubs, may counter the need for the updated employer letter since it should say the same company and all on them)

Really main choice is do you wait til January to make sure you have no issues with the trip or take the chance.

Employment letters are not needed, maybe if a person is a new employee, even then I would worry about it being more than 30 days old. What the embassy wants is the I-134 and copies of the most recent tax return and W-2

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Employment letters are not needed, maybe if a person is a new employee, even then I would worry about it being more than 30 days old. What the embassy wants is the I-134 and copies of the most recent tax return and W-2

True that is the most important things. Always good to have extra stuff incase.

But even lately, my partner and I, and two other couples on here in VJ have not even been asked to present anything at the interview. That is to include I-134, W2's, pay stubs, evidence of on going relationship. Wonder what they are doing over there at the embassy... <_<

But yes you are correct still in those are the two most important things to show along with the I-134.

08/15/2014 : Met Online

06/30/2016 : I-129F Packet Sent

11/08/2016 : Interview - APPROVED!

11/23/2016 : POE - Dallas, Texas

From sending of I-129F petiton to POE - 146 days.

02/03/2017 - Married 

02/24/2017 - AOS packet sent

06/01/2017 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received in mail

12/06/2017 - I-485 Approved

12/14/2017 - Green Card Received in mail - No Interview

brickleberry GIF they see me rolling college football GIF by ESPN  

Timeline

True that is the most important things. Always good to have extra stuff incase.

But even lately, my partner and I, and two other couples on here in VJ have not even been asked to present anything at the interview. That is to include I-134, W2's, pay stubs, evidence of on going relationship. Wonder what they are doing over there at the embassy... <_<

But yes you are correct still in those are the two most important things to show along with the I-134.

That is true, since 2014 USEM has been very sporadic about asking for support evidence, they even changed the wording in the instructions letter so it doesn't read as required anymore. BUT... if they ask.... :lol: and when they ask it is for the I-134, most recent tax return and W-2.

Timeline

Thanks for the responses everyone. Will definitely just schedule in January, which also means I would need to extend my petition since our I-129F petition expires December 30 (though I heard it's not really a big deal/hassle to do so?).

Good to know the employer letter won't be important. I don't really want to bother my fiance's boss again for basically the same thing. My fiance is not a new employee anyways, he has been employed at his company since August 2015. I also have his pay stubs to prove he is still working there. :) He is making a good amount so I'm pretty sure we can relax when it comes to the financial stuff.

I also am expecting my passport back this week and will not schedule anything until I have it in my hands.

Timeline

Thanks for the responses everyone. Will definitely just schedule in January, which also means I would need to extend my petition since our I-129F petition expires December 30 (though I heard it's not really a big deal/hassle to do so?).

Good to know the employer letter won't be important. I don't really want to bother my fiance's boss again for basically the same thing. My fiance is not a new employee anyways, he has been employed at his company since August 2015. I also have his pay stubs to prove he is still working there. :) He is making a good amount so I'm pretty sure we can relax when it comes to the financial stuff.

I also am expecting my passport back this week and will not schedule anything until I have it in my hands.

No worries about the petition expiring, the embassy with extend the validity for up to a year, 4 months at a time. You don't need to do anything.

Hope your passport arrives quickly. :)

Timeline

No worries about the petition expiring, the embassy with extend the validity for up to a year, 4 months at a time. You don't need to do anything.

Hope your passport arrives quickly. :)

Yup, I actually just got off the phone with the embassy regarding my I-129F and they said that since my last action was yesterday, the embassy automatically will extend it for up to a year and that I didn't have to do anything. I guess I was just over-paranoid, as with everything. D:

Gosh, I can't wait for all this to be over and for me to be with my fiance already!!! It's killing me.

^^^This^^^

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.