bahamamama234

MEGATHREAD- What does a Trump Presidency mean for visas? (merged)

660 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

You're not serious right?  The Patriot Act?  Guantanamo Bay?  

TSA

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
24 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

I do agree with better or even closed borders. I wish the Netherlands would have that but instead, you can just vroom in - no one will know you crossed the border. But in America right now it comes to religion very much as President Trump has spoken out multiply about the Muslim religion. He even mentioned once to register Muslim. Wow okay, calm down Hitler 2.0.

I realize that you are new to American culture, but did you ever think about how those of us with Jewish children whose great grandparents were in Auschwitz and whose own grandparents were taken by Nazis might think of your comparison?  Whose families were actual refugees from the Nazis?

America has been a safe place for us and especially for the Jewish people.  I think it is exceedingly wise to make sure that immigrants from countries that traditionally persecute minorities (the countries as a whole, not the individual intending immigrants or people) understand that it isn't acceptable in America and that they align with our cultural values before entering.  It has been a problem for the Jewish community in Europe and those of us with a vested interest won't let it happen here.  

Whose rights are more important to you?  Existing Americans or people who've not yet even moved here?  Do you think my Jewish daughter's safety is more or less important than a foreigner's or should be to our lawmakers?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Registering the jewish population is exactly how things started 70 years ago.

So yeah, making muslims (whether immigrants or muslims born in America) be part of a registry though they have no criminal background / link to terrorism is exactly the same thing.

Removal of Conditions

08/14/2019: I-751 mailed
08/20/2019: I-751 delivered to Phoenix
08/26/2019: Check cashed 
08/29/2019: 18 month extension letter received 
01/08/2019: Biometrics completed

Naturalization

07/29/2020: N-400 submitted online

12/21/2020: Interview date

Timeline
Just now, sarahandyunus said:

So yeah, making muslims (whether immigrants or muslims born in America) be part of a registry though they have no criminal background / link to terrorism is exactly the same thing.

They still ask if you are a member of the Nazi Party.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the FBI having documentation of individuals with suspected ties to Muslim extremist groups. But making some sort of blanket list of everyone of ethnic origin of a Muslim-majority nation (as has been proposed) is unfair.

Removal of Conditions

Naturalization

Look, don't think because I'm 'just another foreigner' that I don't know and I 'just' make a comparison. I'm well known in the World War 2 history, my grandfather hid Jewish people on his farm, the Netherlands had or still has a big Jewish community. My best friend is Jewish. And with all due respect to the Jewish community, Trump's speech including a register on Muslims, his disrespect to Muslims, his made me think of Hitler. He uses racism to rise power, isn't that what Hitler did? He was an Anti Jew fascist, it clearly looks like Trump is anti Muslim. I'm not saying  they are same but I see similarities.

Have you seen the videos of people in conference rooms doing to Hitler greetings?

Edited by Dutchster

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Timeline

How do you tell the difference between a bad and good Muslim? Or Nazi?

Timeline
5 minutes ago, sarahandyunus said:

Not at all and continuously comparing a group that makes up almost a quarter of the world's population at 1.6 billion to a group that might just number 14 million is at at a fifth of a percent is ridiculous.  America is one of the few safe havens for that 0.2%.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

Look, don't think because I'm 'just another foreigner' that I don't know and I 'just' make a comparison. I'm well known in the World War 2 history, my grandfather hid Jewish people on his farm, the Netherlands had or still has a big Jewish community. My best friend is Jewish. And with all due respect to the Jewish community, Trump's speech including a register on Muslims, his disrespect to Muslims, his made me think of Hitler. He uses racism to race power, isn't that what Hitler did? He was an Anti Jew fascist, it clearly looks like Trump is anti Muslim. I'm not saying  they are same but I see similarities.

Have you seen the videos of people in conference rooms doing to Hitler greetings?

My grandmother was also in the Netherlands during WWII and became a refugee as a result.  She lost almost her entire family.

I don't see the similarities.

3/26/18 Biometrics

Timeline
1 minute ago, N-o-l-a said:

Not at all and continuously comparing a group that makes up almost a quarter of the world's population at 1.6 billion to a group that might just number 14 million is at at a fifth of a percent is ridiculous.  America is one of the few safe havens for that 0.2%.

So, you think that my husband who is Muslim by default as he is Turkish (but does not practice and never has) should be on some sort of list as a suspect despite having no criminal background at all. Pretty fair. 

I don't see what population size has anything to do with it. 

Removal of Conditions

Naturalization

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Transborderwife said:

Muslim is a religion, nazism isn't.  

Not sure if I see the difference, they are both belief systems. Quite how religion is somehow separated is arguable.

14 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Who's gonna say yes? (rhetorical)

ROC Timeline!

Service Center : California Service Center

NOA2017-09-01

Biometrics : 2017-09-28

ROC Approved 2019-01-17

AOS Timeline!

Marriage : 2015-01-10

AOS/EAD/AP NOA : 2015-01-20

Biometrics : 2015-02-17

EAD/AP Approved : 2015-03-17

NPIW : 2015-06-11

AOS Approved : 2015-11-24

K-1 Visa Timeline!

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Transferred? No

Consulate : Frankfurt, Germany

I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-11

I-129F NOA2 : 2014-08-12

Consulate Received : 2014-09-15

Interview Date : 2014-11-13

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2014-11-15

US Entry : 2014-12-31

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

Not sure if I see the difference, they are both belief systems. Quite how religion is somehow separated is arguable.

But we have freedom of religion in the USA, that's the difference 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, sarahandyunus said:

So, you think that my husband who is Muslim by default as he is Turkish (but does not practice and never has) should be on some sort of list as a suspect despite having no criminal background at all. Pretty fair. 

I don't see what population size has anything to do with it. 

No, not a list, but we are talking about additional vetting of intending immigrants, which is a good idea.  

Trump has said a lot of stupid one off things and I'm pretty sure that the list was just one of them.  Such a thing tends to go against religious freedom, but lists like that exist in other countries.  From my understanding, Danes for example, have their religion officially listed with the government and if they wish to change religions, they must inform their local church who holds the records (even if they aren't Christian).  I disagree with that wholeheartedly.  

3/26/18 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.