balmytigeress

Marrying a Muslim

96 posts in this topic

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There you go DSticks.

I didn't really have anything to contribute about the Muslim husband stereotypes, but I did get a lot of comments from my best friend who was worried that I was travelling to Egypt. She didn't say anything really dumb or racist, but she is a sensationalist. She would use the most creative and outrageous scenarios to try and talk me out of coming here.

In retrospect, she wasn't that far off from the security guidelines posted by the US embassy in Cairo. They know that there are dangers, and try to make you aware of them. She was my own little government employee concerned about my personal safety! How sweet.

bollywood.gifBolly5.gif

My brother, believe, if you wish, in a stone, but don't dare strike me with it. You are free to worship what you wish,

but others' beliefs do not concern you. - Wafa Sultan

qualitydisplaya1.gif11573404S-1-vi.gifdontbelieve-mufkin.gif

www.sparealife.org

www.lazyenvironmentalist.com

www.freerice.com

glitteryourway-a2b509eb.gif

Filed: Timeline
I think that Americans should be required to take a geography course at the high school level which would teach them whether all the countries of the world are located and the different cultures and religions of those people.

There are nearly 200 countries in the world and I am guessing that there are even more religious groups and 'cultures'. Who do you think think should get to decide the curriculem?

The curriculem should at least be made so that people learn at least the BASICS of the world that they live in. I have seen this time and time again where US american citizens have one basic little map implanted in their head and it's really sad beacause they really dont know much of the rest of the word. There is more to the world than the US but many dont have a clue of what goes on in the world they live in. Example of American geography in the viewo below:

also

GEOGRAPHY SURVEY

http://www.cnn.com/2006/EDUCATION/05/02/geog.test/

Thirty-three percent of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map.

Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.

Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.

Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.

Forty-seven percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.

Seventy-five percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.

Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.

Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world.

Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Source: The Associated Press

I'm not too sure that this video should be taken as too serious a case-study on 'US american citizens'.

As for the 'survey', if it is to be taken seriously and 'Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill'. - has it not been democratically decided that the US people are not interested in finding out more about 'the BASICS of the world that they live in'.

Edited by Logres

"One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests."

John Stuart Mill

Oh thanks so much Monnik! How did you do it? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I clicked on the you tube code part and pasted the video link I know Im doing something wrong or missing when posting vids. I must find the missing link to my retardedness when posting vids. jejeje =0)

Edited by The_dip_sticks

Americans do learn geography. The US miliatry invades a country, americans learn where it is. :whistle:

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Americans do learn geography. The US miliatry invades a country, americans learn where it is. :whistle:

OK, back to the topic of stereotypes. My SO has said more than once that he has heard that American wives always have boyfriends. My answer is: American husbands have girlfriends too. There are jerks all over the world. And I'm guessing some Moroccan wives and husbands do the same, just not so in your face with it.

The point is, if you are committed to one another, NOBODY looks for another person.

And he also said, which broke my heart, "Do you think people will try to hurt me because they will think I am a terrorist?" He is really sort of scared about that.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:blink: interesting, most people i know can name many of the world's countries and point them out on a map.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

[

And he also said, which broke my heart, "Do you think people will try to hurt me because they will think I am a terrorist?" He is really sort of scared about that.

god i dont remember how many times i ve said that to my husband and he keeps re assuring me that everything is going to be ok. and that nobody cares and americans are so open minded. still i have like bad day dreams about lol poor me!!!lol :unsure: i always wonder how ppl will react when im at the airport or wen i get there. goshhhh the fear is always there!!!

lyrics.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

from my side: He is a terrorist, he will sell u into sex slavery, he will plant a bomb on you (when I went to sweden to visit him). he is just using u to get to the us, he will make you quit your job (i work in a restaurant as a server), never go to his country or he will never let you come back, don't take ur children (if we have any) to his country his parents can take them,

from his side. He is terrified to tell his mother that he is going to marry his "american friend". She says you cannot trust american women, they do not stay married for long, they do not value the family, she will cheat on you, she will get tired of you, she is too old, she is not a virgin, she is not muslim (neither is he but his mother is),

My family says they don't want to ever meet him because they don't associate with terrorist, his mother hates me and has not even met me. Luckily his two sisters who live in Sweden approve of me.

Follow your heart, I am, I found my best friend and I don't plan on losing him no matter what anyone else says.

And the sad part that even after being at war with a country they actually dont know where it is on the map!

Sorry if I hijacked the thread and got a bit of topic. I just thought that it was important to point out due to the many negative stereotypes that many of us have had to put up with because of where we come from of who we chose to marry.

I suppose ignorance is an option to some in which case it’s sad regardless. Time and time again we have seen that many US Americans don’t know any more about geography and culture other than their own, and even so they still fail US geography. So I guess It would not be shocking that "After more than three years of combat and nearly 2,400 U.S. military deaths in Iraq, nearly two-thirds of Americans aged 18 to 24 still cannot find Iraq on a map, a study released Tuesday showed" WASHINGTON (CNN) . One would think that if our home country is engaged in a war people might at least want to know the who, what, where, when, and why that region is important for us to learn about it. It would also be nice if they tried to understand the conflict on BOTH sides, but that would be too much to ask, as even the media is one sided. I just feel that if the school systems started early on educating kids on world geography and other cultures there would not be so many negative stereotypes about other cultures a they grow older. Just because it’s different does not make it wrong! Learning about other people, countries, cultures, and religions early on would help do away with many of the never ending ignorant stereotypes world wide. The again that would be a long shot as racism mainly black vs. white is still a problem in some parts of the US. Any how other headline that point out the big F in American geography:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/05/02/...in1571756.shtml

Reading, Writing, Arithmetic

Is The 'No Child Left Behind' Law Leaving Kids Dumber?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

U.S. Kids Not Quite On The Map

Basic Geography Scores Up, Proficiency Level Still 'Unacceptable'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Young Americans Get D In Geography

Few Locate Iraq, Afghanistan; Find 'Survivor' Island More Often Than N.J.

Where In The World Is Iraq?

Surveys Show Most Young Adults Don't Have A Clue

Private School Flunks Geography

Lesson Plan Included Teaching Immigrants There Are 53 States

I grew up in Wyoming....how many times have I been talking to fellow Americans and for them to ask me..."is that in America?"....no lie. :wacko:

I do find that living in a foreign country there are two types of Americans(dont know about other nationals)...the kind that expects all the arab nationals over here to speak english and act less arab to make the americans life easier....and the kind that embraces the differenct culture and finds it exciting and something worth learning about. In the beginning I was the first but that was very limiting and didnt make me many friends....once I became the second kind life got a little more interesting.... :yes:

Filed: Other Timeline
Just because it’s different does not make it wrong! Learning about other people, countries, cultures, and religions early on would help do away with many of the never ending ignorant stereotypes world wide.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

At my high school(the same one Obama went to) :) we had the option of taking 'studies' classes instead of the usual humanities(English, history) classes. One year we had Asian studies, the next European studies, the next American studies. No MENA, I am afraid. The classes looked at each area as a whole and studied each major culture individually. Asian studies was especially good - I will never forget Mr. Rosa, the teacher who sparked my interest in Asian culture for life. When we were studying Indian culture he brought in a sari for us to try on; for Japan we went to a local Japanese garden, China he brought in moon cakes... It was more than memorizing dates or authors. We also studied the philosophy and religion of each area - yes I learned about Shinto, Confucianism, Sikhism and Jainism in high school, as well as Buddhism and Hinduism. I still have some of the books we read for that class over 20 years ago - it was that good. If everyone had classes like that I would like to hope that people would have a more enlightened view of the world.

thkirby-1.gifpetblink46.gif
BuddhaEyesGlobe.gif1433707c1j51myzp6.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Stereotypes

1) they wont go down

2) they shower instead of cuddle afterwards

3) foreplay is what?

4) no stopping until begging begins

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

hahahhahah

both all i dont know

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.