mycase17

I-751 November 2016 Filers

1,900 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
34 minutes ago, Nikkosan said:

I bet! What a thrill it was, and what an amazing feeling coming out with the "You've been recommended for approval" piece of paper!

I can only imagine! Congrats!!!

I-751 ROC Timeline
Sun, 11/27/2016 - 90 days before Green Card expiration on 2/25/2016
Tue, 11/29/2016 8:30 AM - Mailed out I-751 ROC petition to USCIS California Service Center
Wed, 11/30/2016 11:40 AM - USCIS California Service Center signed for receipt of petition
Fri, 12/2/2016 - Check cashed by the USCIS California Service Center per our online banking account
Sat, 12/3/2016 - Received NOA (one-year conditional resident status extension) in the mail with receipt date and time of 11/30/2016 at 19:29 (7:29 pm)
Fri, 12/9/2016 - Received biometrics appointment letter dated 12/3/2016 with appointment scheduled for 12/23/2016

Wed, 12/14/2016 2:14 PM - Successful early walk-in for my biometrics at the Santa Ana USCIS

Thu, 05/03/2018 - My ROC case was transferred from CSC to NBC

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

Mon, 11/27/2017 8:00 AM - Submitted online application for Naturalization: Form N-400, supporting evidence & credit card payment

Tue, 11/28/2017 3:07 AM - NOA confirmation of application receipt was uploaded to my online USCIS account. Processing time for naturalization to be 10 months (to be completed September 2018)

Sat, 12/02/2017 3:06 AM - Received notification that my biometrics appointment was scheduled but the document showing the date and time has not yet been uploaded

Tue, 12/05/2017 - Biometrics Appointment Letter was uploaded to my USCIS account. Scheduled for 12/22/2017 at 8:00 am at USCIS Tustin

Tue, 12/05/2017 2:00 PM - Early walk-in biometrics completed at USCIS Tustin

Mon, 06/25/2018 - My ROC and Naturalization Interview was scheduled for Wed, 08/01/2018

Wed, 08/01/2018 - ROC and Naturalization Interview - Approved

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Oath Ceremony

Passport Processing Timeline

Fri, 08/24/2018 - Passport Application at Irvine Passport Acceptance Facility

Fri, 08/31/2018 - Received notification via email that passport is being processed

Mon, 09/04/2018 - Check for $110.00 to US Department of State for passport application was cashed

Mon, 09/17/2018 - Passport received via USPS

Thu, 09/20/2018 - Naturalization certificate returned via USPS

8 hours ago, Nikkosan said:

No worries!

RE the printouts, I think it depends on the officer. I brought some originals (marriage certificate and birth certificate of my husband) just in case, but she literally had everything in front of her, and she couldn't care less about anything I had. That being said, I've read of people being asked for originals, so if there is anything that you sent as a copy, make sure you back it up with the original, just in case.

RE the questions, funny you asked, as I actually put YES to the question about being cited, and she changed it to NO after knowing it was a speeding ticket for $144 from 2008 (my one and only ticket, EVER). She mentioned that putting yes appears in the system as being arrested, and that's why she made the change. Still, if I were you I would still mention it, just in case. One thing I took into enormous consideration was being under oath. For NO reason would I want to lie under oath, so make sure you're 100% truthful. So the way it went is that she proceeded to read ALL of the YES/NO questions, and I would simply say one or the other.

My changes were to a YES/NO question, for which she asked me what actually happened (it was a minor thing, and she also didn't make any changes for that), and then one more trip to add to my travels (I travel a lot!), and a bit more about my weapons training (I was a member of the Armed Forces for 4 years).

That was it! At the end of the interview the officer will show you all the changes made on an electronic pad which he/she will ask you to verify and sign (and that's how I know that she didn't switch to YES the question I answered as a NO, and also she changed to NO the question about being cited).

I'm in Florida!

I did, but the officer told me I didn't have to!

Still, being as paranoid as I am, I am glad I put yes and had the chance to discuss the matter with her. Let THEM make that decision!

Thank you so much for your insights, seriously!

I will make sure to bring all my original documents just in case. Over-prepared is always better. Maybe I should print out a few photos of us too.

Like you said, being truthful is key. As long as they know we are not intentionally hiding something, everything should be fine.

I'm so nervous and excited for this coming Thursday! I have been studying all the civic questions and my N-400 application over and over again. The only thing that worries me is the pending ROC.. 

But because of your positive experience, it really gives me hope.

Again, thank you for sharing and being so kind!

9 hours ago, Calikitkat said:

Hi, qan 714! 

We have very similar timelines. I also applied for ROC at CSC on 11/30/16 and for naturalization at the Santa Ana office on 11/27/17. The fact that you have your interview next Thursday gives me hope :) Did you get a notification that your ROC case was transferred to your local office before you got your naturalization interview notification?

I have signed up for both email and text notifications for both cases. I have received email notification today on my citizenship case that there were no updates made to my case since 12/5/17 when I did my biometrics. Judging by your timeline I should hear about my interview in two and a half weeks or so since I applied for ROC two and a half weeks later than you. I hope that is the case. 

I am curious about parking tickets too. Do we have to mention those? Please let us know if you find out during your interview.

Best of luck next Thursday! Let us know how it went.

Hi Calikitkat!

My naturalization is at Santa Ana office too! 

I applied for N-400 online on 12/31/17, and I was so surprised when they notified me last month that my interview has been scheduled in March.

I actually got my naturalization interview notice before my ROC was transferred to local office.

If our timelines are similar, I'm sure you'll hear from them very soon!

I will definitely give you an update once I'm done with my upcoming interview!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
8 hours ago, qan714 said:

Thank you so much for your insights, seriously!

I will make sure to bring all my original documents just in case. Over-prepared is always better. Maybe I should print out a few photos of us too.

Like you said, being truthful is key. As long as they know we are not intentionally hiding something, everything should be fine. 

I'm so nervous and excited for this coming Thursday! I have been studying all the civic questions and my N-400 application over and over again. The only thing that worries me is the pending ROC.. 

But because of your positive experience, it really gives me hope.

Again, thank you for sharing and being so kind!

My pleasure!

And yes, better over-prepared than caught unprepared! A recipe for success vs. disaster! Anything that would help the officer feel like what you and your spouse have is genuine would help. Ultimately, our interviewing officer was satisfied with just asking questions to either of us, but we did have lots of photos and travel tickets to support the facts.

I completely understand the mix of nervousness and excitement. I kid you not, the last three nights prior to the interview I dreamed about the interview itself (three nights in a row, and I seldom dream!). All experiences were weird (like all of my dreams are), but positive nonetheless. I had female officers in all of the dreams, and sure enough, I had a female officer at the interview itself! 

As for the pending ROC, my thought process is that it has now become "normal" to have applicants face the N-400 interview with a pending one, that they have all been instructed on how to proceed. As long as your file is at your field office (and you said it is), then I don't really see any issues arising. They will go over that first, then your spouse will be asked to leave (mainly because of the testing), and you will continue going over the N-400 form.

Be nervous (that's OK!) and excited, and most of all, enjoy the ride!

Report back to let us know! Cheers!

F-1 Visa: Academic years 2007/2010.

K-1 Visa: I-129F sent Aug 2013; Approved Jan 2014.

Green Card: AOS sent Feb 2014; Approved Jan 2015.

Removal of Conditions: I-751 sent Nov 2016; Approved Apr 2018.

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline
17 hours ago, teshah said:

Updating the chart with Nikkosan's info. @Nikkosan, I think you meant 2018 instead of 2017 on your ROC approval and N-400 interview timeline.

Oooops, I did!

Thank YOU!

F-1 Visa: Academic years 2007/2010.

K-1 Visa: I-129F sent Aug 2013; Approved Jan 2014.

Green Card: AOS sent Feb 2014; Approved Jan 2015.

Removal of Conditions: I-751 sent Nov 2016; Approved Apr 2018.

US Citizenship: Application sent Nov 2017; Fingerprints Nov 2017; Civics/English exam March 2018; Oath May 2018.

Just looked at USCIS website for updated date for I-751 and WOW! in a whole month they were able to move from Sept 22 to October 12. Godspeed! Such a shame!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Field Office Processing Dates for California Service Center as of: January 31, 2018

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence Removal of lawful permanent resident conditions (spouses of U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents

October 12, 2016

F1 Visa Journey

4th March 2009 - Schedule F-1 Visa Appointment

18th March 2009 - F1 Visa Interview

28th March 2009 - F1 Visa approved

OPT Journey

26th January 2013 -  I-765 mailed

4th February 2013 - Notice received

17th May 2013 - Card processing

3rd June 2013 - EAD Card received

STEM Extension Journey

18th March 2014 -  I-765 mailed STEM extension

28th March 2014 - Notice received

13th May 2014 - Card processing

28th May 2014 - EAD Card received

I-140 Journey

17th August 2014 - I-130 & 1-140 mailed

30th August 2014 - Notice received

13th September 2014 - Bio-metrics Appointment Notice for 27th September 2014 

13th October 2014 - RFE received - Reply mailed 23rd November 2014

7th January 2015 - Interview

29th January 2015 - Green card received

I-751 Journey

3rd November 2016 - I-751 Mailed

16th November 2016 -  Notice received

3rd December 2016 - Bio-metrics Appointment Notice  for 17th December 2016

25th February 2018 - Case Transferred to Local Office

8th May 2018 - Case Transferred to another Office/ Initial Review

7th June 2018 - Combined interview/ name Update/ Approved with N-400

N-400 Journey

31st October 2017 - N-400 Mailed

2nd November 2017 - NOA

12th November 2017 - NOA from office case transferred to.

20th November 2017 - Biometrics Appointment

1st May 2018 - Interview Notice

7th June 2018 - Interview/ Approved/ Oath Ceremony will be scheduled

12th June 2018 - Oath Ceremony Notice Mailed

09th July 2018 - Oath Ceremony..... I am a US Citizen

Hi guys June 2017 filer here. I understand a number of you chose to file for your N-400 (Citizenship) when you hit the 12 month mark of your I-751 application., so that way both of your applications were considered jointly. Is there a table available where I could see the timeline of those who filed N-400, specially those who filed their I-751 on CSC. I have intentions of filing my N-400 when the time comes and I would like to have an idea at least of the kind of wait I'd be looking at.

Thanks in advance!

Timeline
3 hours ago, Jack88 said:

Hi guys June 2017 filer here. I understand a number of you chose to file for your N-400 (Citizenship) when you hit the 12 month mark of your I-751 application., so that way both of your applications were considered jointly. Is there a table available where I could see the timeline of those who filed N-400, specially those who filed their I-751 on CSC. I have intentions of filing my N-400 when the time comes and I would like to have an idea at least of the kind of wait I'd be looking at.

Thanks in advance!

I filed November 2017. Wait till August 2018

F1 Visa Journey

OPT Journey

STEM Extension Journey

I-140 Journey

I-751 Journey

N-400 Journey

2nd November 2017 - NOA

Hi guys,

A quick update from my interview.

I am in California, and my local office is Santa Ana. My whole interview process was almost an hour long.

I went to my N-400 interview yesterday (with pending ROC). The officer called in me without asking for my husband.

When we came in to his office, he asked for my green card and ID. He then continued to ask when I came to the States and why the date don't match with my green card?

I explained that because I got my green card through marriage. He then said I was not eligible for naturalization (!?). I said no, I am eligible. I know the rules and also, when I filed online, they made me answer some questions to verify my eligibility. If I was not eligible, I could not make it here for this naturalization interview.

He paused for a bit, asked if I'm still married. I said yes. He asked for all the letters from USCIS that I've received since I started the ROC application.

I handed him my receipt and the fingerprint appointment letter. I also informed him that my husband was right outside in the waiting room, and if he might want to call my husband in and do the I-751 interview? He looked at my documents briefly and said no. 

He then stormed out of the room with my green card and NOA1 from ROC. He was gone for probably 15 minutes or so, came back to grabbed a big folder on his desk (at that moment I realized it was my ROC folder - which got transferred to the local office) and left again.

A couple minutes went by, he came back.

I asked him what was going on, but he just totally ignored me. Since the beginning, his attitude had been cold and unnecessarily rude. 

Anyway, at this point, he started flipping through papers in my ROC folder.

By the way he looked at it, I was pretty sure it was his first time going through it too. But he did not ask me anything about it. 

He then proceeded the N-400 test. He asked me to read, write and 6 civic questions. He said I passed and then moved on to ask me questions on my N-400 application.

Everything went fine. I signed the Oath of Allegiance and confirmed that my name, address and basic info was correct.

I was so happy at this point, thinking "Aha! This is it!"

BUT NO. He then left the room again, and came back within 5 minutes. Our conversation went like this:

Officer (O): "You passed the citizenship test, but unfortunately your I-751 application is still pending, so we can not approve you till that is out of the way."

Me (M): "Ok. May I know the time frame when my other application will be processed or looked at?"

O: "I have no idea, to be honest."

M: "Ok.. I mean, I thought once I passed my citizenship test, my I-751 application will also be approved?"

O: "No, sorry it doesn't work that way"

O: "Do you have any other questions?"

M: "No I don't. I'm just kinda disappointed since it will be another waiting game for me."

O: "I know, that's why earlier I was trying to, you know...."

M: "Yes, I totally understand. And I thank you for that."

O: "Ok, you should just wait to hear back from us."

Now another waiting game begins. It's so frustrating.

2 hours ago, qan714 said:

Hi guys,

A quick update from my interview.

I am in California, and my local office is Santa Ana. My whole interview process was almost an hour long.

I went to my N-400 interview yesterday (with pending ROC). The officer called in me without asking for my husband.

When we came in to his office, he asked for my green card and ID. He then continued to ask when I came to the States and why the date don't match with my green card?

I explained that because I got my green card through marriage. He then said I was not eligible for naturalization (!?). I said no, I am eligible. I know the rules and also, when I filed online, they made me answer some questions to verify my eligibility. If I was not eligible, I could not make it here for this naturalization interview.

He paused for a bit, asked if I'm still married. I said yes. He asked for all the letters from USCIS that I've received since I started the ROC application.

I handed him my receipt and the fingerprint appointment letter. I also informed him that my husband was right outside in the waiting room, and if he might want to call my husband in and do the I-751 interview? He looked at my documents briefly and said no. 

He then stormed out of the room with my green card and NOA1 from ROC. He was gone for probably 15 minutes or so, came back to grabbed a big folder on his desk (at that moment I realized it was my ROC folder - which got transferred to the local office) and left again.

A couple minutes went by, he came back.

I asked him what was going on, but he just totally ignored me. Since the beginning, his attitude had been cold and unnecessarily rude. 

Anyway, at this point, he started flipping through papers in my ROC folder.

By the way he looked at it, I was pretty sure it was his first time going through it too. But he did not ask me anything about it. 

He then proceeded the N-400 test. He asked me to read, write and 6 civic questions. He said I passed and then moved on to ask me questions on my N-400 application.

Everything went fine. I signed the Oath of Allegiance and confirmed that my name, address and basic info was correct.

I was so happy at this point, thinking "Aha! This is it!"

BUT NO. He then left the room again, and came back within 5 minutes. Our conversation went like this:

Officer (O): "You passed the citizenship test, but unfortunately your I-751 application is still pending, so we can not approve you till that is out of the way."

Me (M): "Ok. May I know the time frame when my other application will be processed or looked at?"

O: "I have no idea, to be honest."

M: "Ok.. I mean, I thought once I passed my citizenship test, my I-751 application will also be approved?"

O: "No, sorry it doesn't work that way"

O: "Do you have any other questions?"

M: "No I don't. I'm just kinda disappointed since it will be another waiting game for me."

O: "I know, that's why earlier I was trying to, you know...."

M: "Yes, I totally understand. And I thank you for that."

O: "Ok, you should just wait to hear back from us."

Now another waiting game begins. It's so frustrating.

Good job on fighting for your shake. I think you only have to wait couple more weeks for them to review your ROC since he has it on hand. Your IO didn't know how to handle your case well. My IO told me when he saw my N-400, he was about to reject it, but luckily, he asked his manager first and she told him to interview and approve my ROC first. He also called and talked to his manager couple times during my interview since I was the first case that ever happened at that office. I prepared to fight back just like you if he didn't let me do it too.

14 hours ago, Kelly&Tommy said:

Good job on fighting for your shake. I think you only have to wait couple more weeks for them to review your ROC since he has it on hand. Your IO didn't know how to handle your case well. My IO told me when he saw my N-400, he was about to reject it, but luckily, he asked his manager first and she told him to interview and approve my ROC first. He also called and talked to his manager couple times during my interview since I was the first case that ever happened at that office. I prepared to fight back just like you if he didn't let me do it too.

Yes you are totally right. My IO seemed to be young and inexperienced. I'm sure that I was his first case like this.

He did ask for his manager help during my interview too, but I guess the manager was unavailable so he just had to give me "Decision can't be made".

Since the interview, I just keep wondering if there was anything I could have done better. But I guess it's just about the wait.

On 3/17/2018 at 2:46 PM, qan714 said:

Yes you are totally right. My IO seemed to be young and inexperienced. I'm sure that I was his first case like this.

He did ask for his manager help during my interview too, but I guess the manager was unavailable so he just had to give me "Decision can't be made".

Since the interview, I just keep wondering if there was anything I could have done better. But I guess it's just about the wait.

The same thing happened to me. I went in for my N-400 interview with I-751 pending here at Indianapolis Field Office. Even before IO took me back into the room for the interview, he told me in the corridor that he will not be able to approve my N-400 since my I-751 was still pending. Anyway, he proceeded with the questions and oath and then informed me I passed the test but have to wait for my I-751 approval. I asked him when will he able able to do that interview, he said he couldn't be sure but definitely not for another 35 days, and this was February 14th. I haven't heard anything back yet, so waiting just like I have been since Nov 2016. 

2 hours ago, genghiz said:

The same thing happened to me. I went in for my N-400 interview with I-751 pending here at Indianapolis Field Office. Even before IO took me back into the room for the interview, he told me in the corridor that he will not be able to approve my N-400 since my I-751 was still pending. Anyway, he proceeded with the questions and oath and then informed me I passed the test but have to wait for my I-751 approval. I asked him when will he able able to do that interview, he said he couldn't be sure but definitely not for another 35 days, and this was February 14th. I haven't heard anything back yet, so waiting just like I have been since Nov 2016. 

The IO can approve the I-751 concurrently with the N-400 approval.  Some are confused about that.  Submit a case inquiry because that officer can approve it.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

I added my I-751 number to the same portal as the N-400 and it had an extra message. It said, if you do not receive your notice in the mail by March 27th, contact us saying you did not receive notice in the mail.

F1 Visa Journey

OPT Journey

STEM Extension Journey

I-140 Journey

I-751 Journey

N-400 Journey

2nd November 2017 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.